PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Need help with question about burning from...

Chiefshrink
11-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Tivo to DVD disc. I have Tivo and record the movies from DirecTV. Then I burn the recorded movies from Tivo to a DVD on my Sony DVD player. My Sony DVD player records and plays the DVD just fine. However, my recorded DVDs will not play on anyone else's DVD player. At first I thought it had something to do with the {plus/minus}blank DVDs I was using but either or they still do not play on others DVD players. Is there something in the set up that I am doing wrong that only allows my DVD player to play it? :shrug:Need help here!!! Thx!

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-02-2008, 01:29 AM
So you are transferring files from a Tivo Series 2 to your comp and then burning, or are you using a standalone DVD burner to burn them?

(I'll explain the reasoning for the question later).

Ultra Peanut
11-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Should a hotshot shrink like yourself be capable of just purchasing a DVD?

TrickyNicky
11-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Which format does it record on DVD+R or DVD-R? My only suggestion is to try a +/-RW disc, and see if theres an option on your recorder to finalize discs.

I bought an el-cheapo DVD-Recorder/VHS combo to dub some stuff to DVD and I had the same problem. Mine wasn't fixable, but maybe yours is.

DaFace
11-02-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure about your particular setup, but I know some standalone DVD recorders have to "finalize" the disc before you can play it on other DVD players. If you don't do that manually on ours at work, it won't play on any other players.

Chiefshrink
11-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Which format does it record on DVD+R or DVD-R? My only suggestion is to try a +/-RW disc, and see if theres an option on your recorder to finalize discs.

I bought an el-cheapo DVD-Recorder/VHS combo to dub some stuff to DVD and I had the same problem. Mine wasn't fixable, but maybe yours is.

Mine is a combo Sony and it will record on both + and - . Before I can eject it once it has recorded it will automatically "finalize" for me. Maybe there is something else I have to do to further finalize in order for it to play on others DVD players? I will research the manual once again. Thx for your help.

Chiefshrink
11-02-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure about your particular setup, but I know some standalone DVD recorders have to "finalize" the disc before you can play it on other DVD players. If you don't do that manually on ours at work, it won't play on any other players.

Mine is a combo Sony and it will record on both + and - . Before I can eject it once it has recorded it will automatically "finalize" for me. Maybe there is something else I have to do to further finalize in order for it to play on others DVD players? I will research the manual once again. Thx for your help.

Chiefshrink
11-02-2008, 09:37 PM
So you are transferring files from a Tivo Series 2 to your comp and then burning, or are you using a standalone DVD burner to burn them?

(I'll explain the reasoning for the question later).

Standalone Sony DVD/VCR combo player from my DirecTV Tivo Box. It will auto finalize at the end as well. I have used both formats + and - DVDs and both record fine and play on my DVD player "only" though.