PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Herm Edwards for Coach of the Year!!

talastan
11-02-2008, 03:40 PM
The only coach to figure out how to take 20 seconds and give the opposing team 8 pts. for the tie and eventual win!! PBJ :clap:

At least now we know the coaching staff is trying to lose for that number one overall! Come on Detroit!! GO LIONS!! ROFL .......:deevee:

FAX
11-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I missed this entire deal ... what happened? Herm called a timeout while the Bucs had the ball? What?

FAX

BigRock
11-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I missed this entire deal ... what happened? Herm called a timeout while the Bucs had the ball? What?

It's one of many examples of people letting the TV announcers do their thinking for them.

Around the 35 second mark, Tampa Bay got called for a false start with no timeouts and under a minute left in the game. There's an automatic 10 second runoff, dropping it to 25 seconds.

After they backed Tampa up and the Bucs lined up and got set for the next play, the Chiefs called a timeout. One of the G-team Fox announcers said it was curious Herm called a TO because the clock would have been running.

I don't think that's actually the case, though. The clock was stopped on the false start penalty. The whole idea behind a 10 second runoff is to prevent teams without timeouts from purposely doing something like a false start to stop the clock. But the clock is still dead on the penalty call.

But even if I'm wrong, it's a moot point. The clock hadn't yet started and Tampa was already lined up ready to snap the ball at the point where Herm called the TO. If the clock was to start before the snap, Tampa was right there waiting to snap the ball as soon as it did.

It's not like Herm somehow saved the Bucs more time on the game clock. But people heard that announcer and they think Herm messed something up.

Tiger's Fan
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
It's one of many examples of people letting the TV announcers do their thinking for them.

Around the 35 second mark, Tampa Bay got called for a false start with no timeouts and under a minute left in the game. There's an automatic 10 second runoff, dropping it to 25 seconds.

After they backed Tampa up and the Bucs lined up and got set for the next play, the Chiefs called a timeout. One of the G-team Fox announcers said it was curious Herm called a TO because the clock would have been running.

I don't think that's actually the case, though. The clock was stopped on the false start penalty. The whole idea behind a 10 second runoff is to prevent teams without timeouts from purposely doing something like a false start to stop the clock. But the clock is still dead on the penalty call.

But even if I'm wrong, it's a moot point. The clock hadn't yet started and Tampa was already lined up ready to snap the ball at the point where Herm called the TO. If the clock was to start before the snap, Tampa was right there waiting to snap the ball as soon as it did.

It's not like Herm somehow saved the Bucs more time on the game clock. But people heard that announcer and they think Herm messed something up.

Sorry, you're wrong. The ball was set, and the clock had already started, running two seconds off. You don't call time outs for the other team. You damn sure don't call two of them.

Rain Man
11-02-2008, 05:19 PM

FAX

H. Edwards called timeouts in both the first half and the second half, which helped Tampa make plans to score. Apparently H. Edwards decided that he was going to ice the kicker, even though the kicker wasn't on the field.

Terribilis
11-02-2008, 05:21 PM
It would be nice to go back and see whether or not the clock started moving again. I always think its curious when a coach calls timeout to see what package the other team is using. I could understand if you were concerned about a team kicking or going for it on 4th down. But in a situation like that, the other team could just use another package, and you would have then used a timeout to PLAN for the wrong play. Just my 2 cents.

BigRock
11-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry, you're wrong. The ball was set, and the clock had already started, running two seconds off.

Watch the play. The 2 seconds came off AFTER Herm called the timeout. That could have been nothing more than the clock operator screwing up. Tampa Bay was lined up ready to snap the ball and the clock was not moving.

You don't call time outs for the other team.

What? Play had already been stopped due to the penalty.

Psyko Tek
11-02-2008, 06:45 PM
what????
I missed the second half
is there a bittorrent of hightlight of this

triple
11-02-2008, 06:47 PM
didn't the ref have them put those two seconds back up?

KCCHIEFS27
11-02-2008, 07:12 PM
It would be nice to go back and see whether or not the clock started moving again. I always think its curious when a coach calls timeout to see what package the other team is using. I could understand if you were concerned about a team kicking or going for it on 4th down. But in a situation like that, the other team could just use another package, and you would have then used a timeout to PLAN for the wrong play. Just my 2 cents.

But it is better to call a timeout and not get burned on a certain play when you know your players are out of position. At least calling a timeout allows you to get in to the defensive alignment you want, especially when you know they are going to pass..

BigRock
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
didn't the ref have them put those two seconds back up?

Yes, he did. Which, of course, shows that they weren't supposed to come off the clock in the first place.

There is literally nothing to this entire timeout topic.

Mecca
11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
The 2 seconds got put back on because the run off penalty happened at 35 the clock operator had it at the spike time which was 33 and put it at 23 this is a non issue.