PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Thigpen again plays well enough to win in a Chiefs loss

Tribal Warfare
11-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Thigpen again plays well enough to win in a Chiefs loss (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/871726.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Tyler Thigpen again played like a veteran quarterback for the Chiefs on Sunday. Afterward, he also sounded like one.

“We didn’t win, so it didn’t matter if I threw three picks,” Thigpen said after the Chiefs wasted a three-touchdown lead and lost 30-27 in overtime to Tampa Bay at Arrowhead Stadium.

“We had a chance to win and we didn’t capitalize.”

Except Thigpen didn’t throw three interceptions. He threw none, but he did pass for one touchdown and caught another.

His play was certainly enough to encourage the Chiefs, who were eager to see how Thigpen would follow last week’s strong game against the Jets.

“He’s on his way,” said tight end Tony Gonzalez, who caught seven of Thigpen’s passes. “I’m not going to jinx him and say he’s arrived, but he’s certainly proven he can play quarterback effectively at this level. He’s surprised me, surprised everybody. He keeps playing like that, man, who knows?”

Thigpen helped the Chiefs to their initial first-quarter touchdown of the season, a 7-yard pass to Dwayne Bowe. He later caught a 37-yard touchdown pass from wide receiver Mark Bradley.

Thigpen was lined up as a wide receiver on the play the Chiefs installed just last week. Thigpen dropped the pass when the Chiefs tried it in practice.

“He didn’t drop it when it counts,” Bradley said.

Jamaal Charles was the quarterback on the play. He gave it to Bradley on an end-around.

Bradley, whose father, Danny, was once an option quarterback in college for Oklahoma, laid it out perfectly.

“It’s in the genes,” Bradley said.

Thigpen guided the Chiefs to 24 points in the first half, but they cooled off afterward. That’s similar to last week’s game, when they also managed only a field goal offensively in the second half.

“Maybe we just need to stay out there on the field and not even come in the locker room,” he said.

The Chiefs made liberal use of the spread offense again in an attempt to make Thigpen comfortable. He played in the spread as a senior in college at Coastal Carolina.

“I feel like we had a great game plan this week for me to feel comfortable in, and we went out and executed,” Thigpen said. “We had a chance to win, and that’s the biggest thing, giving yourself the chance.”

They didn’t, but they could hardly blame their quarterback for that.

Coach
11-02-2008, 10:57 PM
The offense did give the chance. 27 points should be more than enough to win most games.

The _efense and special teams failed us. Yes, I know that they only scored 3 points in the 2nd half, but the point being is that 27 points should win most games.

chiefbowe82
11-02-2008, 11:00 PM
well if thigpen can do well vs the jets and tampa he should have be fine vs the chargers one could imagine

raybec 4
11-02-2008, 11:08 PM
well if thigpen can do well vs the jets and tampa he should have be fine vs the chargers one could imagine

You would think so, the question is does he have to score 50 to win?

Crashride
11-02-2008, 11:09 PM
This was heartbreak for me here in tampa. I need therapy after this one.

kcxiv
11-02-2008, 11:15 PM
We need a pass rushing DE badly.

Phobia
11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
The offense did give the chance. 27 points should be more than enough to win most games.

The _efense and special teams failed us. Yes, I know that they only scored 3 points in the 2nd half, but the point being is that 27 points should win most games.

It's a frick'n team sport. The OFFENSE handed the ball back to the Bucs with a 5 yard field.

If you think the Defense and ST lost the game you don't understand team sports.

blueballs
11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
14 of 25 164 yards
1 td only 1 mother****ing sack 89.4 QB rating
considering past '08 KC QB play -it's damn good -and against a top 5 D

Coach
11-02-2008, 11:33 PM
It's a frick'n team sport. The OFFENSE handed the ball back to the Bucs with a 5 yard field.

If you think the Defense and ST lost the game you don't understand team sports.

Yes, I'm aware of the fumble by Charles, and that TB scored on that drive. I'm also fully aware that the offense only scored 3 points in the 2nd half.

But I'm also aware that 27 points should be more than enough to win the football game, and FWIW, that Tampa KO TD really changed the momentum of the game.

Special Teams was just awful all around. Tampa consistently kept having good field position all damn day long. While the rush D did decent today, I wasn't aware that giving up 300+ yards in the air is acceptable, and no pass-rush to boot.

It's clear cut to me that the O had this game won, and the D, along with special teams, gave the game away. I was not aware that Greg Robinson was back as a defensive coordinator.

Chiefshrink
11-02-2008, 11:35 PM
This was heartbreak for me here in tampa. I need therapy after this one.

Where do you want to start?:D

Tribal Warfare
11-02-2008, 11:39 PM
14 of 25 164 yards
1 td only 1 mother****ing sack 89.4 QB rating
considering past '08 KC QB play -it's damn good -and against a top 5 D

For some reason for the past two weeks the teams KC has been going against have been playing flat or making stupid mistakes that keeps KC in it.

Chiefshrink
11-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Who does Thigpen remind you of in his style of play? Is he a poor version at this point of Favre/Romo?

Tribal Warfare
11-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Who does Thigpen remind you of in his style of play? Is he a poor version at this point of Favre/Romo?

actually, he plays alot like Garcia to tell the truth when and if he's on.

pr_capone
11-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Neither... I'd say he is more like a taller Doug Flutie. :D

Chiefshrink
actually, he plays alot like Garcia to tell the truth when and if he's on.

I'm ok with that,at least he can scramble and take a hit:clap: I live out here in Donkey Dung and I didn't get the NFL ticket this year so I haven't seen hardly anything of the Chiefs except their only win which was sweet. But I do like watching young players develop even though it is rebuilding mode.

Chiefshrink
Neither... I'd say he is more like a taller Doug Flutie. :D

Damn even better!!

Pitt Gorilla
11-02-2008, 11:47 PM
I would love to not select a QB in the first round this year.

Chiefshrink
11-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I would love to not select a QB in the first round this year.

I agree unless their is a Marino or Elway type available which their is not.

DaneMcCloud
11-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Thigpen reminds me more of Randall Cunningham. He's mobile, athletic and has an accurate arm. Mark Bradley has helped to transform this offense as well.

The reason the special teams sucks is again, a lack of depth. The Chiefs need at least 2 more very solid drafts before they have the appropriate depth to have stellar special teams. Great special teams generally consists of first and second year players that teams are developing, improving and fighting for their chance to start.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, all of those guys are on the field and when they're not (i.e. Brandon Flowers today), the team suffers.

Tribal Warfare
11-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree unless their is a Marino or Elway type available which their is not.

Matt Stafford, he's the closest thing to Favre/Elway when it comes to sheer talent

chiefzilla1501
11-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Thigpen played pretty awesome today.

-Keep in mind that Gonzalez dropped a pass in the end zone that he should have caught. That's a 4-point swing there
-Bowe dropped a key pass on 3rd and 3 that just bounced off his chest
-Charles was the one who fumbled the ball away on another drive
-Thigpen threw a pretty pass to Gonzalez in the end that I thought the Chiefs got screwed on a PI call

Yup, I agree. This loss is not on the offense. There is no excuse for the Chiefs' defense and special teams to give the Bucs 23 points (I'm conceding the Charles fumble was a gimme). The Bucs offense is atrocious. I can only hope that this is the straw that broke the Gun's back.

chiefsngop
11-03-2008, 12:19 AM

-Keep in mind that Gonzalez dropped a pass in the end zone that he should have caught. That's a 4-point swing there
-Thigpen threw a pretty pass to Gonzalez in the end that I thought the Chiefs got screwed on a PI call

Yup, I agree. This loss is not on the offense. There is no excuse for the Chiefs' defense and special teams to give the Bucs 23 points (I'm conceding the Charles fumble was a gimme). The Bucs offense is atrocious. I can only hope that this is the straw that broke the Gun's back.

It's becoming painfully obvious that NFL officials are targeting Gonzalez for Offensive Pass Interference calls. Must have circulated amongst the zebra ranks that he was a known offender or something.

You can't make a big tight end play hands off non-physichal football when he's being covered by #1 or #2 CB's while being double teamed by bruising OLB's, huge handcuff....

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2008, 12:23 AM
It's becoming painfully obvious that NFL officials are targeting Gonzalez for Offensive Pass Interference calls. Must have circulated amongst the zebra ranks that he was a known offender or something.

You can't make a big tight end play hands off non-physichal football when he's being covered by #1 or #2 CB's while being double teamed by bruising OLB's, huge handcuff....

At his core Gonzalez plays his game like he did when he was an All-American PF at Cal. pushing off is quite innate when playing street ball.

Chris Meck
11-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Garcia never had an arm like Thigpen's. Never.

I'd say thigpen is in a Romo-type class. Not saying as good, just that he's similar tool-wise.

FAX
11-03-2008, 01:49 PM
"Maybe we just need to stay out there on the field and not even come in the locker room,” he said."

This sounds familiar. Didn't Herm decide to keep the team on the field at halftime in a game last year? Or am I making that up?

FAX

Mr. Arrowhead
11-03-2008, 01:53 PM

and what about the kickoff return