PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Just curious-what's wrong with Tyler Thigpen?

Chris Meck
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
...as a QBOTF? Now hear me out.

He's young, 2nd year. Big arm. Very mobile.

Now, I'm not saying that he IS THE ANSWER. There's no way to know that yet, just as there would be no way to know that with any draftee, Stafford or no. And I've advocated drafting Stafford (before the last couple of games).

Thigpen has had two good games. Just two.

I'll tell you what, though. He's made some throws that I've never seen a Chiefs QB make. I started watching in the Kenney/Fuller years, and not a single Chiefs QB in that time could've made that deep out to Gonzalez last week through the coverage-or that TD to Bradley. Really threading the needle.

Maybe it was luck.

Maybe not.

Maybe the only reason he was a 7th round pick was because he went to a tiny school, Coastal Carolina. maybe the only reason Minny let him go was just a lack of experience. Maybe all the kid needs is some PT.

there's certainly no problem with his arm. He's got wheels, too. He's made good decisions the last two games.

And if the 'spread' offense can work this well, so what? who cares? It looks no different to me than New England's offense or New Orleans'...if OUR wrinkle is to use one and sometimes two TE's and run a physical version of the spread, well, so what? What's wrong with making a defense defend every horizontal yard as well as every vertical yard? That was the original idea behind Walsh's version of the West Coast offense anyway.

Now, I'm just saying, let's see what happens the rest of the season. If Thigpen plays well, then there are other reasons we lose. A young QB with a big arm and wheels is all most of us have been looking for the Chiefs to develop for decades. Who cares where he came from?

It'd be awful nice to draft a stud pass rushing DE, LB, or some other obvious weakness high in the 1st.

But we'll see. I'm just saying we ought to keep an open mind.

Brock
11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
If Stafford is available you still draft him. Period.

jidar
11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Nothing is wrong.

As long as he keeps playing like this, he's QBOTF
It's just so hard to believe we might have one, especially out of nowhere like this, that we're all basically waiting for him to fail.

KCUnited
11-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Green Bay is a good example. They got Aaron Rogers coming into the season as their QBOTF and still take Brohm in the 2nd. Thigpen can play well enough to get a shot next year, that doesn't change the Chiefs strategy of drafting the best QB available as it fits with their place in the draft.

bogey
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Until he proves otherwise, he is our QBOTF. I have my fingers crossed that we've found our diamond in the rough.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Until he proves otherwise, he is our QBOTF. I have my fingers crossed that we've found our diamond in the rough.

But what happens if he's injured?

The Chiefs need to draft a QB, period. Even IF Thigpen plays well the rest of the season, the Chiefs need another QB prospect on the roster.

bogey
11-03-2008, 12:53 PM

The Chiefs need to draft a QB, period. Even IF Thigpen plays well the rest of the season, the Chiefs need another QB prospect on the roster.

Oh, I totally agree we need a back-up. I'm not sure getting him in the draft is the best idea. If Thigpen stays consistent and healthy the rest of the season, I agree with this statement "It'd be awful nice to draft a stud pass rushing DE, LB, or some other obvious weakness high in the 1st."

Mr. Laz
11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
thigpen needs more time so we can find out what he is

rebuilding year .... this is what it's all about.

HemiEd
11-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Exactly

Micjones
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM

That depends on how well Thigpen plays the remainder of the season.

If the guy throws for 1,750 passing yards, 7 TD's and 3 INT's the rest of the way you'd still spend your #1 on Stafford?

Micjones
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM

We have Quinn Gray, yes?

Agent V
11-03-2008, 01:02 PM

Agreed. He's shown so many positive flashes, but I noticed in the Bucs game he had a few throws reminiscent of the Atlanta game. No interceptions, though. I was very excited for his performance.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Exactly. If he maintains this level of play for the remainder of the season and continues to show improvement...assuming Stafford goes before our pick there is no reason to reach for a top 5 QB...take one in the 3rd round...have 3rd round QB and Croyle fight it out for the backup job.

Maybe these last two games were flukes...but Thigpen made as many good throws from behind center as he did from the 'spread'...he's gaining confidence...it's a shame he doesn't have a win to show for his efforts.

He reminds me of Tony Romo...he doesn't quite have Romo's pocket awareness yet or savvy...but we'll see...he has the same tools.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:04 PM
We have Quinn Gray, yes?

waste of a roster space...

Next year, if Thigpen continues this level of play...

Thigpen
Draft pick
Croyle

Cut everyone else...or have Croyle battle it out with Gray/Ingle whichever one the coaches have more confidence in.

Brock
11-03-2008, 01:06 PM

If the guy throws for 1,750 passing yards, 7 TD's and 3 INT's the rest of the way you'd still spend your #1 on Stafford?

Yes. Do you think the Browns regret drafting Brady Quinn?

PhillyChiefFan
11-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Bring in competition, but if he plays well for the rest of the year, I am not convinced we need to expend a 1st rounder on a QB IF he plays well. Either way we need a QB, but perhaps not in the first round. We need a good pass rusher too, and Orakpo would be great to have also.

If he is a mediocre QB at the end of this season, with only 1 or so wins under him, then yea pull the trigger, especially if it is Stafford or Bradford. No way to know until the end of the season.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:10 PM
WAAAAAAY different.

Browns took Quinn in the late 1st and are paying him 5 years, $9M.

if the Chiefs get stafford, I'll assume he'll be selected #1, and that means he'll immediately be the highest paid QB in the NFL which means he'll HAVE to be the Chiefs starter regardless of how well Thigpen pans out.

Same thing happened to San Diego when they let Brees go for nothing but a compensatory pick.

Now, it worked out because Rivers isn't too shabby...but could you imagine letting Thigpen go, watch him turn out to be Tony Romo while Stafford turns into Ryan Leaf? Something that could happen...

But you can't pay a guy 45M guaranteed and let him sit on the bench for more than a year...

So comparing the Quinn situation to a possible Stafford situation isn't the same.

beach tribe
11-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Green Bay is a good example. They got Aaron Rogers coming into the season as their QBOTF and still take Brohm in the 2nd. Thigpen can play well enough to get a shot next year, that doesn't change the Chiefs strategy of drafting the best QB available as it fits with their place in the draft.

Undoubtedly this. This is how you do it folks. Maybe Tyler lights it up, the last half of the season. If Stafford is there, which he won't be, you draft him, and if there's a good value QB somewhere else you pull the trigger. We need another QB.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
If Thigpen maintains his level of play, and continues to show improvement for the remainder of the season, a top 5 QB would be a mistake IMO...

If we have a top 5 pick, there is no reason we can't use our 2nd round pick on a QB, or trade up from #35 or wherever we're at into the 1st round and draft the 2nd or 3rd best QB prospect (a la Aaron Rodgers and the Packers) and let Thigpen be the starter until he proves he doesn't belong or until the coaches see a reason that drafted QB should be playing rather than Thigpen...

That way there is no pressure on the organization or the player...because the Browns literally can sit on Quinn for his entire contract (like the Packers with Rodgers) because he isn't a cap liability whatsoever...he's an underpaid backup in all honesty.

Drafting Stafford forces the organizations hand no matter what, and would devalue Thigpen in a possible trade scenario.

Mr. Laz
Bring in competition, but if he plays well for the rest of the year, I am not convinced we need to expend a 1st rounder on a QB IF he plays well. Either way we need a QB, but perhaps not in the first round. We need a good pass rusher too, and Orakpo would be great to have also.

If he is a mediocre QB at the end of this season, with only 1 or so wins under him, then yea pull the trigger, especially if it is Stafford or Bradford. No way to know until the end of the season.
i don't think "wins" should be the way to judge Thigpen.

imo he has played well enough to win the last 2 games and we didn't.

unfair when the entire teams sucks like we have

DaneMcCloud
We have Quinn Gray, yes?

ROFL

Yeah, that sounds like a GREAT idea. Put your hopes into a 29 year-old career backup QB with 4 starts.

PhillyChiefFan
Does anyone else think that Harrell will still be around come round 3 or 4?

I believe he may be, he is a good QB with talent and his team just knocked off #1 but he is a system QB. Or is the Texas win enough to catapult him to the elite prospects??

PhillyChiefFan
11-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Very true, I should have been more specific.

If he has gained experience, and performs as well as he has as of late, then I think it should be his job to lose.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
If Thigpen maintains his level of play, and continues to show improvement for the remainder of the season, a top 5

The Chiefs have looked like the Chiefs under Vermeil the past two weeks.

The offense has scored enough points to win (and had a 100 yard rusher) but the defense is a liability and is ranked 31st in the league.

Regardless of Thigpen's improvement and play, I seriously doubt the Chiefs win more than one more game.

If that.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Undoubtedly this. This is how you do it folks. Maybe Tyler lights it up, the last half of the season. If Stafford is there, which he won't be, you draft him, and if there's a good value QB somewhere else you pull the trigger. We need another QB.

A little bit different, though.

They WANTED and THOUGHT Aaron Rodgers was their QB of the future, but they knew he was injury prone and he had yet to show anything on the field because of Brett Favre.

The Chiefs will have seen, barring injury (knock on wood), plenty of game tape on Tyler Thigpen.

The Packers took a 2nd round QB because they really didn't know for sure what Aaron Rodgers was capable of, and because they knew he had a tendency for injuries.

But yeah, no doubt with our QB depth, we have to take a 1st day QB.

PhillyChiefFan
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM

The offense has scored enough points to win (and had a 100 yard rusher) but the defense is a liability and is ranked 31st in the league.

Regardless of Thigpen's improvement and play, I seriously doubt the Chiefs win more than one more game.

If that.

Wasn't it the first 100 yd rusher TB allowed this year??

Also I was impressed that we held them to only 81 yds on the ground.

Anyong Bluth
11-03-2008, 01:16 PM

morphius
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM

No, no! All QB are judged on is wins, 'cause if he is good enough it shouldn't matter that our D could stop a paper bag blowing in the wind from getting through a closed door, and our ST always seem to be like a beginner playing electronic football with players running randomly around and hoping someone runs into them. Its all on the QB!

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:21 PM

If that.

I didn't mean to press enter, I edited that post...anyways...

In all honesty, it took some pretty fluky things for us not to win those last two games...that TD pass to Bryant was a perfect friggin' pass and that's not ALWAYS going to happen (plus the phantom OPI call)...and the Jets game, blah, I think we were just surprised to be in that game and our youth really showed...

I tell anyone who wants to listen that I don't care about wins this year as long as I see something that leads me to believe we have some sort of young talent on this roster, and the last two weeks have been excellent IMO.

With the Raiders, Broncos, Chargers still on the roster, as well as the Bengals and maybe even the Saints in a couple of weeks (they are so bad on the road), I don't see us winning less than 3 games.

3-13 sounds about right...especially with the way our offense has opened up...I think Herm has realized we are done this season (should have realized that weeks ago) and he's going to start playing like he has nothing to lose...because he doesn't. We all know he's not the most capable coach, but I don't think he's the dumbest person in the world like the majority of this board.

We should have won against two teams that have more than a realistic shot at the playoffs...

I'd rather draft a flat out stud rush end than Matt Stafford AS LONG AS Thigpen continues to show what he's showing. Right now he looks like a QB right out of the Tony Romo mold...and I still hold my breath everytime he throws the ball because he's Tyler Thigpen...but a few more weeks of solid play and Tyler Thigpen won't be such a funny joke to me anymore.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Wasn't it the first 100 yd rusher TB allowed this year??

Also I was impressed that we held them to only 81 yds on the ground.

Yeah...but...the Graham/Bennett/whoever else ran the ball combination isn't exactly scary by any means.

And in all honesty, outside of some long 4th quarter runs after abysmal offensive performances rendering our defense unmotivated and tired, we aren't AS BAD against the run as we appear.

I'd say, under most circumstances, we're about average.

We have absolutely no pass rush and our 3rd and long defense is probably the most frustrating thing about this team.

3rd and 10 or longer and I FULLY expect the opposition to convert. I'm more comfortable when we're facing a 3rd and 3 and I'm not kidding.

PhillyChiefFan
11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I didn't mean to press enter, I edited that post...anyways...

In all honesty, it took some pretty fluky things for us not to win those last two games...that TD pass to Bryant was a perfect friggin' pass and that's not ALWAYS going to happen (plus the phantom OPI call)...and the Jets game, blah, I think we were just surprised to be in that game and our youth really showed...

I tell anyone who wants to listen that I don't care about wins this year as long as I see something that leads me to believe we have some sort of young talent on this roster, and the last two weeks have been excellent IMO.

With the Raiders, Broncos, Chargers still on the roster, as well as the Bengals and maybe even the Saints in a couple of weeks (they are so bad on the road), I don't see us winning less than 3 games.

3-13 sounds about right...especially with the way our offense has opened up...I think Herm has realized we are done this season (should have realized that weeks ago) and he's going to start playing like he has nothing to lose...because he doesn't. We all know he's not the most capable coach, but I don't think he's the dumbest person in the world like the majority of this board.

We should have won against two teams that have more than a realistic shot at the playoffs...

I'd rather draft a flat out stud rush end than Matt Stafford AS LONG AS Thigpen continues to show what he's showing. Right now he looks like a QB right out of the Tony Romo mold...and I still hold my breath everytime he throws the ball because he's Tyler Thigpen...but a few more weeks of solid play and Tyler Thigpen won't be such a funny joke to me anymore.

Good post, I hope you are right.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:25 PM
No, no! All QB are judged on is wins, 'cause if he is good enough it shouldn't matter that our D could stop a paper bag blowing in the wind from getting through a closed door, and our ST always seem to be like a beginner playing electronic football with players running randomly around and hoping someone runs into them. Its all on the QB!

True.

Tyler Thigpen did EVERYTHING he should have done (and a lot more) to win those last two football games...which is why I'm so irritated with people like Claythan for putting him down because that dude, the dude that took more heat than anyone (and a TON from me, he was a walking punch line for me when I was talking about the Chiefs during their BYE week) is our MVP so far this season, no doubt in my mind.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
If anything, we should all know Tyler Thigpen is one resilient, tough mofo.

After the worst game I've ever seen an NFL QB play (Atlanta), he was pretty much RAPED by the local media, made fun of by the national media, and everyone was hoping and praying he'd never see the field again (I was begging for him to be cut, saying he wasn't good enough to start for Rockhurst)...

Then, Croyle goes down (surprise surprise) and Huard fakes some injury so he doesn't have to be subjected to such misery...and then we're all damned by the return of Thigpen.

And what does he do?

He says FUCK YOU to all of us, stops caring what anyone thinks about him, and he just went out and every single player on the Chiefs offense rallied around him, Bowe said he was going to have a huge week two weeks ago...and the dude showed some grit and proved his worth.

That alone will make me a Tyler Thigpen fan for the rest of his career. Not many young QB's are capable of that...a little animosity for QB's like Leaf, Harrington, Carr, McNown, etc... and they were doomed and never to be heard from again.

This alone gives me hope for the kid. Resiliency goes a long way if you're going to be an NFL QB.

Brock
11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
After the worst game I've ever seen an NFL QB play (Atlanta), he was pretty much RAPED by the local media, made fun of by the national media, and everyone was hoping and praying he'd never see the field again (I was begging for him to be cut, saying he wasn't good enough to start for Rockhurst)...

Well, actually there were only a few dummies around here who said Huard should be back on the field.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Well, actually there were only a few dummies around here who said Huard should be back on the field.
I'd rather see Huard on the field than watch anything like what I watched during the Atlanta game.

And I'll eat crow every day of the year for Tyler Thigpen. I wrote him off 1 quarter into that Atlanta game.

Mr. Laz
11-03-2008, 01:35 PM

Ziiiiiiing! LMAO

Brock
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I'd rather see Huard on the field than watch anything like what I watched during the Atlanta game.

And I'll eat crow every day of the year for Tyler Thigpen. I wrote him off 1 quarter into that Atlanta game.

I actually wasn't even referring to you, but props for owning it.

WilliamTheIrish
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
This franchise cannot hitch it's wagon to Thigpen's star.

Mr. Laz
11-03-2008, 01:39 PM

not yet

but that doesn't mean it can't work out .... see Tony Romo

Basileus777
11-03-2008, 01:41 PM

That's pretty much how I reacted. After the Atlanta game I wanted nothing to do with Thigpen, but I'm glad he proved me wrong. I'm really surprised how the offense rallied around him. We may have a shitty team right now, but at least they haven't given up.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:42 PM

I understand how strange it sounds...

But tell me, just by watching them, who would you rather have? Flacco or Thigpen?

Flacco has a better arm, but Thigpen is obviously more mobile AND I think he's a better leader with more competitive fire. Watching Flacco he also has very little awareness IMO.

The Thigpen I've seen the last two weeks has 1st round caliber NFL QB attributes. We'll see...something to watch every Sunday at least.

FAX
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Can Thiggy run or be successful in an offense other than the spread? That's the question.

FAX

Mr. Laz
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Can Thiggy run or be successful in an offense other than the spread? That's the question.

FAX
why ... Tom Brady runs a spread offense and won

Payton Manning runs a version of the spread and is considered one of the best in history.

nothing wrong with the spread offense

Hootie
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM

FAX

I saw him make a lot of good passes from underneath center yesterday...while I was watching. I missed the 2nd half because of a family priority.

whoman69
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM

FAX

That is the question. Spurrier pretty much proved it will not be successful long term in the NFL. Thigpen will need to show he is not just a system QB.

FAX
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
why ... Tom Brady runs a spread offense and won

Payton Manning runs a version of the spread and is considered one of the best in history.

nothing wrong with the spread offense

Excellent points.

However, Thiggy is neither Brady nor Manning, Mr. Laz. Both those teams have awesomeness in both the o-lines and skill positions, as well. Good defenses, too. Constantly running the spread will eventually land Thiggy in the morgue where he'll be banging skeletons from all nations.

FAX

Mr. Arrowhead
11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
That 57 yard bomb he threw to bradley, did anybody noticed how he looked off the safety.

bkkcoh
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Brady wasn't a Brady until he was given a chance. He was a 6th rd choice. If it wouldn't have been fro Bledsoe getting his chest knocked through his back, he may have rotted on the bench.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Excellent points.

However, Thiggy is neither Brady nor Manning, Mr. Laz. Both those teams have awesomeness in both the o-lines and skill positions, as well. Good defenses, too. Constantly running the spread will eventually land Thiggy in the morgue where he'll be banging skeletons from all nations.

FAX

Please take back the 'Indy has a good defense' remark...

That defense is almost as awful as ours...other than Baltimore, I highly doubt they have gotten a 3 and out all year long...if you think teams dink and dunk us to death, watch a Colts game. Teams constantly beat them in TOP probably 40/20...

As a closet Peyton Manning fan and an owner of him on both fantasy teams I have, it is downright frustrating watching that defense get manhandled week in and week out...

The friggin' Packers controlled the clock for 24 minutes in the 1st half against them a few weeks ago...and if you guys think Dungy is that much better of a coach than Herm, you're wrong. Dungy is wretched...Herm just doesn't have Peyton Manning.

Hootie
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Brady wasn't a Brady until he was given a chance. He was a 6th rd choice. If it wouldn't have been fro Bledsoe getting his chest knocked through his back, he may have rotted on the bench.

Brady was Matt Cassell before that Super Bowl win...the game plans were identical to what Cassell is running right now...Brady had 1 TD pass in the playoffs the year they won their first Super Bowl...

The confidence a Super Bowl win and the amazing coaching staff and game planning made Tom Brady Tom Brady...

Confidence is the #1 thing for an NFL QB. Without it, no matter how talented that QB is, they are useless.

Leaf, Harrington, Carr, Couch, etc... had all the talent in the world.

PhillyChiefFan
11-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Constantly running the spread will eventually land Thiggy in the morgue where he'll be banging skeletons from all nations.

FAX

ROFL

FAX
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Please take back the 'Indy has a good defense' remark...

That defense is almost as awful as ours...other than Baltimore, I highly doubt they have gotten a 3 and out all year long...if you think teams dink and dunk us to death, watch a Colts game. Teams constantly beat them in TOP probably 40/20...

As a closet Peyton Manning fan and an owner of him on both fantasy teams I have, it is downright frustrating watching that defense get manhandled week in and week out...

The friggin' Packers controlled the clock for 24 minutes in the 1st half against them a few weeks ago...and if you guys think Dungy is that much better of a coach than Herm, you're wrong. Dungy is wretched...Herm just doesn't have Peyton Manning.

Geez, Mr. Hootie. I sure do admire your passion for the game.

Both the Colts and Pats defenses are probably ranked somewhere in the middle of the pack ... probably 25 or so yards from being top ten defenses. In my book, that's a "good" defense.

FAX

PhillyChiefFan
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Geez, Mr. Hootie. I sure do admire your passion for the game.

Both the Colts and Pats defenses are probably ranked somewhere in the middle of the pack ... probably 25 or so yards from being top ten defenses. In my book, that's a "good" defense.

FAX

True enough, however consider your reference point in the Chiefs :D

FAX
11-03-2008, 02:11 PM
True enough, however consider your reference point in the Chiefs :D

There is great truism in that statement. Being ranked 25th would be nice at this point.

FAX

KCChiefsMan
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
if he keeps it up he will have earned his spot as QB1

Mr. Laz
11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Excellent points.

FAX
then Mr. Fax .... the question isn't the spread offense, it's the chiefs general suckitude.

FAX
11-03-2008, 02:53 PM
then Mr. Fax .... the question isn't the spread offense, it's the chiefs general suckitude.

Well, it's kind of both, I think. To me, it seems like it takes certain players in certain positions playing a certain way that allow a team to rely on running the spread consistently without getting the quarterback pretty deadish.

Plus, Thiggy has to reconsider his tendency to scramble. Eventually, he's going to run into somebody who will have his head in his trophy case.

I've come to like Thiggy. I'm hoping that he continues to play well and improve. I don't, however, think we can run the spread with this particular group of players every week without the enemy figuring out how to send the Thigster to the showers early. Basically, I'd just like to see him successfully execute a different scheme before he's annointed the bad ass of the future.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
If Stafford is available you still draft him. Period.This. Discussion over.

PhillyChiefFan
11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Plus, Thiggy has to reconsider his tendency to scramble. Eventually, he's going to run into somebody who will have his head in his trophy case.

FAX

Scrambling can be the death of careers.

kcchiefsus
11-03-2008, 03:15 PM

Sounds like drafting a QB just to draft one to me. Stafford has a career completion percentage under 60% and he has thrown 31 interceptions in his career to only 38 touchdowns. If our staff really thinks he can play at this level then I guess draft him but I'm not very impressed with him. Drafting for need is a big mistake.

Thig Lyfe
11-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I think if the Chiefs continue to run the spread, Thigpen will prove to be our starter. I don't see how anybody could look at how the Chiefs had played this season until the Jets game and say "hey, let's keep doing that!" Opening up the playbook is the best thing this team has done all season, and a guy with Thigpen's arm and mobility needs that to succeed.

And if that does indeed turn out to be the case, you can't reach for a QB in the 1st round.

kcchiefsus
11-03-2008, 03:17 PM

It would be different if Stafford was worth a top 5 pick but he isn't, the guy is not impressive at all.

Pitt Gorilla
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
If anything, we should all know Tyler Thigpen is one resilient, tough mofo.

Then, Croyle goes down (surprise surprise) and Huard fakes some injury so he doesn't have to be subjected to such misery...and then we're all damned by the return of Thigpen.

And what does he do?

He says **** YOU to all of us, stops caring what anyone thinks about him, and he just went out and every single player on the Chiefs offense rallied around him, Bowe said he was going to have a huge week two weeks ago...and the dude showed some grit and proved his worth.

That alone will make me a Tyler Thigpen fan for the rest of his career. Not many young QB's are capable of that...a little animosity for QB's like Leaf, Harrington, Carr, McNown, etc... and they were doomed and never to be heard from again.

This alone gives me hope for the kid. Resiliency goes a long way if you're going to be an NFL QB.It doesn't make much sense to determine a player's worth from such a small sample. People were stupid for thinking he should be cut and people would be stupid to claim he's our savior. We have a little better feel for him now that he has a few games under his belt, but the rest of the season will tell us what we need to know.

Brock
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
It would be different if Stafford was worth a top 5 pick but he isn't, the guy is not impressive at all.

:doh!: Lamest opinion ever.

kcchiefsus
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
:doh!: Lamest opinion ever.

Sorry to dissapoint you but it's true. Jay Cutler played in the SEC with half the talent that Georgia has yet he put up good numbers. The same cannot be said for Stafford.

Brock
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry to dissapoint you but it's true. Jay Cutler played in the SEC with half the talent that Georgia has yet he put up good numbers. The same cannot be said for Stafford.

Stafford has put up good numbers, but that isn't the point. Are you saying he won't be a top 5 pick?

the Talking Can
11-03-2008, 03:38 PM
i like thigpen...i was arguing for him to play while hootie and all the other true fans were crying - literally - for Huard to play...

at worst, i think, thigpen has proven he can be our backup QB

that said, we have to draft a QB...end of story...and if we have a shot at Stafford we HAVE to take him...period

you don't roll the dice on thigpen...any idiot should understand that, and anyone who has watched this joke of a franchise for the last 15 years should really intuitively understand it...it shouldn't require explaining...

QB is priority #1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8....we need more than 1 for christ sake, especially when that "one" is thigpen

KCrockaholic
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM

sounds like good stats for half a season...but ill bet my money that Thigpen throws a total of 15 TD's this year IF he starts the rest of the season....we have found our most mobile QB in KC history? maybe he could hit 400 rush yards lol

WilliamTheIrish
11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
you don't roll the dice on thigpen...any idiot should understand that, and anyone who has watched this joke of a franchise for the last 15 years should really intuitively understand it...it shouldn't require explaining...

Remember where you are. It's like an alternate universe when it comes to QB's.

So many are Carlconditioned into 'diamond in the rough'.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2008, 04:47 PM

ROFL

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM

BPA and currently it's Stafford/Oher , and right now I'm on the Stafford wagon. Remember when everyone went apeshit when KC drafted LJ, when Priest was still in his prime. Samething, BPA and never sway.

Tinlar
11-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Well Thigpen has been a big surprise for me. After Atlanta I, like many others, would have rather put my daddy parts in a freshly baked potato than suffered through any more of him tossing up ducks and running for his life. I shuddered when I realized he was getting another start and he did really really well. What did that do for him in my opinion? Nothing. You have a job in the NFL, your job is to be able to play well, if you aren't a started it isn't because you can't play well, it is because you can't consistantly play well. So Thigpen came out in the following week and played well again. What does that earn him in my book? A start. The coaches need to take him to the side and tell him, "This is your first start in the NFL. We are starting you not because we have to, but because we want to. You've earned this one, not fallen into it." And if he does well for the third week in row he earns the right to compete for a starting position; which baring whomever we might draft, he doesn't have a lot of competition.

FAX
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
BPA and currently it's Stafford/Oher , and right now I'm on the Stafford wagon. Remember when everyone went apeshit when KC drafted LJ, when Priest was still in his prime. Samething, BPA and never sway.

Yep.

FAX

the Talking Can
11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Remember where you are. It's like an alternate universe when it comes to QB's.

So many are Carlconditioned into 'diamond in the rough'.

"Carlditioned"....i like it

that is really the main point of my rantings....people are deeply, deeply warped by Car's high mediocrity/low risk style....

even people who say that they are sick of Carl turn around and advocate the same kind of short sighted, reactionary, "risk" averse nonsense....so you end up claiming that drafting Stafford is "risky" but not drafting a QB and betting everything on Thigpen is "safe"....

totally insane...and these people can't see it...15 years of captivity and torture has made them love their captor

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I think if the Chiefs continue to run the spread, Thigpen will prove to be our starter. I don't see how anybody could look at how the Chiefs had played this season until the Jets game and say "hey, let's keep doing that!" Opening up the playbook is the best thing this team has done all season, and a guy with Thigpen's arm and mobility needs that to succeed.

And if that does indeed turn out to be the case, you can't reach for a QB in the 1st round.

And if THAT'S the case, the Chiefs would be wise to sign Alex Smith to a minimal contract in the offseason.

He's only 24 and was a master at the spread offense.

eazyb81
11-03-2008, 05:21 PM

Peyton Manning had 20 TD and 12 INT his junior year at Tennessee.

Stafford is currently on pace for 20 TD and 12 INT his junior year at Georgia.

You = Moron

Tyler Thigpen (not)
11-03-2008, 05:37 PM
...as a QBOTF? Now hear me out.

He's young, 2nd year. Big arm. Very mobile.

Now, I'm not saying that he IS THE ANSWER. There's no way to know that yet, just as there would be no way to know that with any draftee, Stafford or no. And I've advocated drafting Stafford (before the last couple of games).

Thigpen has had two good games. Just two.

I'll tell you what, though. He's made some throws that I've never seen a Chiefs QB make. I started watching in the Kenney/Fuller years, and not a single Chiefs QB in that time could've made that deep out to Gonzalez last week through the coverage-or that TD to Bradley. Really threading the needle.

Maybe it was luck.

Maybe not.

Maybe the only reason he was a 7th round pick was because he went to a tiny school, Coastal Carolina. maybe the only reason Minny let him go was just a lack of experience. Maybe all the kid needs is some PT.

there's certainly no problem with his arm. He's got wheels, too. He's made good decisions the last two games.

And if the 'spread' offense can work this well, so what? who cares? It looks no different to me than New England's offense or New Orleans'...if OUR wrinkle is to use one and sometimes two TE's and run a physical version of the spread, well, so what? What's wrong with making a defense defend every horizontal yard as well as every vertical yard? That was the original idea behind Walsh's version of the West Coast offense anyway.

Now, I'm just saying, let's see what happens the rest of the season. If Thigpen plays well, then there are other reasons we lose. A young QB with a big arm and wheels is all most of us have been looking for the Chiefs to develop for decades. Who cares where he came from?

It'd be awful nice to draft a stud pass rushing DE, LB, or some other obvious weakness high in the 1st.

But we'll see. I'm just saying we ought to keep an open mind.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I honestly hope I can become the player you, the fans, want me to be. I believe I can and I want to be that guy.

I hate the circumstances under which I "got my shot" though.

Brodie is a great guy who has a lot of football knowledge and all the tools to be the starter in this league. Just look at the game against the Titans where he went 9 for 10. He has a great arm and plenty of smarts. It is unfortunate that he, like so many on the team this year, seem to be snakebit.

Huard has been an incredible mentor to me. The guy has been around for a long time and knows the ins and outs of the game. I give him a lot of the credit for my play the past 2 weeks.

Even though I still have a lot to learn, I am ready for this. I will give the team and the fans everything I have.

Anyong Bluth
11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
"Carlditioned"....i like it

that is really the main point of my rantings....people are deeply, deeply warped by Car's high mediocrity/low risk style....

even people who say that they are sick of Carl turn around and advocate the same kind of short sighted, reactionary, "risk" averse nonsense....so you end up claiming that drafting Stafford is "risky" but not drafting a QB and betting everything on Thigpen is "safe"....

totally insane...and these people can't see it...15 years of captivity and torture has made them love their captor

Stockholm syndrome... ?

Mr. Laz
11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
if Carl and Herm are still here i think we go defense or Oline even if we need to trade down to align the proper value.

i don't want a highly drafted QB to even have 1 year under those 2 .... not even a 1/2.

TrickyNicky
11-03-2008, 05:51 PM
If Stafford is there at when we pick, take him. The worst case scenario is that we have someone who is very capable to run the offense for a year while Stafford learns Gailey's offense. Best case scenario is Stafford comes in and blows Thiggy out of the water with his play. Either way, we are solidifying the most important position on the team.

If he isn't there when we pick, you have to trust the board and determine if the value for the best DE is worth a top 5 pick. If not, then trade down and acquire more and take BPA.

the Talking Can
11-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Stockholm syndrome... ?

yeah, basically

windwalker
11-03-2008, 06:25 PM

I honestly hope I can become the player you, the fans, want me to be. I believe I can and I want to be that guy.

Brodie is a great guy who has a lot of football knowledge and all the tools to be the starter in this league. Just look at the game against the Titans where he went 9 for 10. He has a great arm and plenty of smarts. It is unfortunate that he, like so many on the team this year, seem to be snakebit.

Huard has been an incredible mentor to me. The guy has been around for a long time and knows the ins and outs of the game. I give him a lot of the credit for my play the past 2 weeks.

Even though I still have a lot to learn, I am ready for this. I will give the team and the fans everything I have.

would one of the moderators ban this guy? I think everyone knows it is not Tyler. Thig is smart enough not to use his own name!!!STFUSTFUSTFU

MahiMike
11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Think the Cowgirls wish they's drafted a QB every year?

R&GHomer
11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
would one of the moderators ban this guy? I think everyone knows it is not Tyler. Thig is smart enough not to use his own name!!!STFUSTFUSTFU

Maybe it is, maybe it's not. Who knows, but I kind of like the idea that he would take the time to post a thank you. If it really is Thig, good luck next Sunday alot of us are pulling for ya.

KCrockaholic
11-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Any way for him to prove that he is the real Thigpen? if it is, hes obviously open to letting fans know who he is

FAX
11-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I can't imagine that Thiggy would post under his own name. Still, stranger things have happened and, just in case it is him, I shall desist with the skeleton jokes.

FAX

KCrockaholic
11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
it would make sense for Thigpen to be our QBOTF...we didnt draft him.

stevieray
11-03-2008, 06:56 PM
It's like love...you never find it when you are looking for it...to say we might have stumbled upon our QB is very realistic...Hes got good vision and very quick release.

the kid was the only one moving the team and scoring in preseason..with his arm and his legs...he went toe to toe with Favre, and had the game stolen away by the coaching staff.

11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
It's like love...you never find it when you are looking for it...

the kid was the only one moving the team and scoring in preseason..with his arm and his legs...he went toe to toe with Favre, and had the game stolen away by the coaching staff.

Welcome back Stevie!

Baby Lee
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
It's like love...you never find it when you are looking for it...to say we might have stumbled upon our QB is very realistic...Hes got good vision and very quick release.

Hey!!! Lookit there!!!

Coach
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Glad to see you back, kind sir.

SAUTO
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM

QFT

ElGringo
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I like Thigpen as possible QBoTF, but would agree, he needs competition. We need a solid second stringer which I don't think we have. Right now, just hoping he keeps developing, draft a QB early and develop him as well. I am not so sure how well this will work with our current staff, possibly ruining a QB in 1 year. I would expect to see an Eli Manning type move, a rook refusing to come play for this staff.

Davechief
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Thigpen is right now what the Chiefs were hoping that Croyle could be. Someone to take a look at over the remainder of the season and see what kind of player they have. Having said that you definetly take the the best available QB when our opportunity comes around in the draft. Croyle really shouldn't even be part of the mix next year, as all he has proven is that he is injury prone. I feel bad for the guy, but he has been injured on every level of the game. Draft a QB next year, keep Thiggy around if things continue as they have, cut Croyle, and Hutard, and maybe look for a veteran during the off season you could bring to camp next year.

chiefbowe82
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM

You know I like my chicken fry
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up

Thig Lyfe
11-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Shut up noob!!!!!

FAX
11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Wow. It's amazing to see the amount of support that Thiggy is receiving from Planeteers.

The guy has played two (2) good games well and one (1) horrific game. That's good and all I guess, but it's far from proof that he warrants consideration as a franchise quarterback. At this point, I'm pulling for the guy, but we're nowhere close to determining his ultimate value to the franchise.

This is a tough situation. We need wins. But, we just don't need them this year. On the other hand, we have to make a decision on a quarterback before the draft. Spending our number one pick on a QB seems silly if we're going to stick with Thiggy. But, we can't tell if Thiggy is the man unless or until he proves he can win games. What a mess.

FAX

Hootie
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
sounds like good stats for half a season...but ill bet my money that Thigpen throws a total of 15 TD's this year IF he starts the rest of the season....we have found our most mobile QB in KC history? maybe he could hit 400 rush yards lol

Green had at least 300 rushing yards his first year in KC...don't feel like looking it up but he ran a lot.

FAX
11-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Green had at least 300 rushing yards his first year in KC...don't feel like looking it up but he ran a lot.

Good point. Also, we have yet to see how well Thiggy blocks.

FAX

Pasta Little Brioni
11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow. It's amazing to see the amount of support that Thiggy is receiving from Planeteers.

The guy has played two (2) good games well and one (1) horrific game. That's good and all I guess, but it's far from proof that he warrants consideration as a franchise quarterback. At this point, I'm pulling for the guy, but we're nowhere close to determining his ultimate value to the franchise.

This is a tough situation. We need wins. But, we just don't need them this year. On the other hand, we have to make a decision on a quarterback before the draft. Spending our number one pick on a QB seems silly if we're going to stick with Thiggy. But, we can't tell if Thiggy is the man unless or until he proves he can win games. What a mess.

FAX

He started to look good the last drive of the first half against the Falcons. It seemed to give him a ton of confidence throwing that TD late in the half. He played very well the 2nd half of that game other than the forced pick 6 at the end when we were screwed and has played very well since then. It at least gives something interesting to watch the rest of the year to see if he can keep it going.

FAX
11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
He started to look good the last drive of the first half against the Falcons. It seemed to give him a ton of confidence throwing that TD late in the half. He played very well the 2nd half of that game other than the forced pick 6 at the end when we were screwed and has played very well since then. It at least gives something interesting to watch the rest of the year to see if he can keep it going.

Good point, Mr. PGM.

You know, it's fair to say that "if" we hadn't downshifted the offense late in the Jets game and "if" only one or two plays had gone the other way against the Bucs (the phantom PI call against Gonzo comes to mind), he would have two wins under his belt at this point.

It's amazing to think of it.

FAX

KChiefs1
11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Tyler Thigpen = Tony Romo?

PastorMikH
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM

I sure thought it looked like things were starting to click with Thigpen as the atlanta game continued. I was kinda hoping he'd start the next week and was kinda surprised when the papers came out bashing him.

Thig Lyfe
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Tyler Thigpen = Tony Romo?

Thigpen would be even stranger than Romo, because football people knew Romo was special for awhile. Thigpen, on the other hand, would be coming out of goddamn nowhere.

I'd love it.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Thigpen is now Croyle, people want him to be the guy so they'll just overlook all else.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Trent Green had 158 rushing yards with 11 fumbles in 2001.

Nice try.

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Thigpen is now Croyle, people want him to be the guy so they'll just overlook all else.

I wouldn't say that, but the similarities are their, people questioned his durability and with Thigpen is consistency and accuracy. There were at least three balls he threw that should've been intercepted.

Deberg_1990
11-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Thigpen would be even stranger than Romo, because football people knew Romo was special for awhile.

Thats not true at all.

I live down here in Cowboy land and most people thought he was nothing back in 05 and the beginning of 06. All he had was a live arm that people liked. Nobody expected anything out of him because he was undrafted.

Deberg_1990
11-03-2008, 11:37 PM

Ill say this, Thigpen has shown me alot more than Brodie Croyle ever did.

Its a start.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Also I know everyone was going nuts about that call on Gonzalez yesterday but that evened out, they called Tampa for a penalty on an INT.

KCrockaholic
11-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Also I know everyone was going nuts about that call on Gonzalez yesterday but that evened out, they called Tampa for a penalty on an INT.

Thats because there WAS a deserved penalty on that play...Gonzo got mauled on that play and thats the only reason Thigpen threw the pick! he was throwing it to Gonzalez! The call against Gonzalez was BS, the guy was falling, and wrapped around gonzalez before the ball was even in his range

Mecca
11-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Thats because there WAS a deserved penalty on that play...Gonzo got mauled on that play and thats the only reason Thigpen threw the pick! he was throwing it to Gonzalez! The call against Gonzalez was BS, the guy was falling, and wrapped around gonzalez before the ball was even in his range

In real speed to a ref when a DB falls to the ground and the offensive guy is leaning down with his hands on him it looks like he shoved him down..I know replay shows he didn't but in real speed it's how it looks.

KCrockaholic
11-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Also, we have yet to see how well Thiggy blocks.

FAX

atleast he can catch! :)

JuicesFlowing
11-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Ed Hochuli has huge arms. Can we conspire this loss on him in any way?

KCrockaholic
11-04-2008, 12:07 AM
In real speed to a ref when a DB falls to the ground and the offensive guy is leaning down with his hands on him it looks like he shoved him down..I know replay shows he didn't but in real speed it's how it looks.

I understand that, but im mainly talking about how you said the calls evened out, with the penalty on the INT. That penalty was the correct call, unlike the one against Tony.

KCrockaholic
11-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Ed Hochuli has huge arms. Can we conspire this loss on him in any way?

his biceps got in his line of sight on that penatly....all he saw was veins and muscle, then a Buccaneer falling on the ground..i understand

JuicesFlowing
11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
his biceps got in his line of sight on that penatly....all he saw was veins and muscle, then a Buccaneer falling on the ground..i understand

The AFC West really isn't his gig.

Mecca
11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
It was basically my way of saying you win some you lose some...still no call should be blamed for blowing a 24-3 lead or giving up a td and 2 point conversion with less than 2 minutes to play.

KCrockaholic
11-04-2008, 12:13 AM
The AFC West really isn't his gig.

I would say he should go ruin Oakland next, but i dont think they need any help with that

KCrockaholic
11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
It was basically my way of saying you win some you lose some...still no call should be blamed for blowing a 24-3 lead or giving up a td and 2 point conversion with less than 2 minutes to play.

That is true. Our team lost it, it shouldnt be that hard to play a full 4 quarter game without falling to pieces...If Flowers had stayed in the game I bet we win..Leggett nearly single handedly crushed our D in coverage. He is terrible.

JuicesFlowing
11-04-2008, 12:16 AM

In all seriousness, I agree.There's plenty of blame to go around in a loss like that.

Hootie
11-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Trent Green had 158 rushing yards with 11 fumbles in 2001.

Nice try.

2002 he had 225 yards...I thought he had more. Sorry. I don't know what I was trying though.

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 12:37 AM

If this is really Tyler Thigpen. Take a picture of yourself for verification which acknowledges your identity and you were on ChiefsPlanet( a shout out) with you by the monitor with this website in the background. I really doubt you are Tyler Thigpen, because you should be analyzing game film hardcore now due to it's your job to be prepared going against a NFL football team.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2008, 12:40 AM
If this is really Tyler Thigpen. Take a picture of yourself for verification which acknowledges your identity and you were on ChiefsPlanet( a shout out) with you by the monitor with this website in the background. I really doubt you are Tyler Thigpen.

I think it's Tyler Durden

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 12:42 AM

If that was Tyler, that guy is slacking his ass on the internet and not meticulously going over game film to play against the opposition.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2008, 12:43 AM
If that was Tyler, that guy is slacking his ass on the internet and not meticulously going over game film to play against the opposition.

Well to be fair, it IS Monday.

The guys have Monday off.

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Well to be fair, it IS Monday.

The guys have Monday off.

doesn't matter Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are like machines when comes to this aspect through out the season, even on bye weeks.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2008, 12:47 AM
doesn't matter Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are like machines when comes to this aspect through out the season, even on bye weeks.

Everyone, regardless of wins and losses, needs a day off.

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 12:54 AM

I'm just saying that's what the two best in league do, hell I remember before the Pats vs Giants game in their 1st meeting Belichick asked he reviewed the footage on the Giants Brady's reply was " Yes all 15 games" .

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm just saying that's what the two best in league do, hell I remember before the Pats vs Giants game in their 1st meeting Belichick asked he reviewed the footage on the Giants Brady's reply was " Yes all 15 games" .

And I'm stating that people need a break. Regardless of their profession.

Especially when they're young and relatively new.

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Especially when they're young and relatively new.

He's in a precarious position in his career, because his starting spot isn't assured and Herm even stated they'll be looking for QBs in the draft . mom told me what my dad did during his Doctor's residency that on an average he had 4 hours of sleep at most because of the rigors of being on call 24/7 and being evaluated on his competency for jobs when his residency was finished. Thigpen can't rest and hit game film, because of the fact that his starting spot for next year isn't solidified due to the ongoing evaluation.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2008, 01:39 AM
He's in a precarious position in his career, because his starting spot isn't assured and Herm even stated they'll be looking for QBs in the draft . mom told me what my dad did during his Doctor's residency that on an average he had 4 hours of sleep at most because of the rigors of being on call 24/7 and being evaluated on his competency for jobs when his residency was finished. Thigpen can't rest and hit game film, because of the fact that his starting spot for next year isn't solidified due to the ongoing evaluation.

Look, Dude. I get what you're saying.

But there's something to be said for walking away for a day, just to gain perspective.

And that's even more necessary for a younger man who hasn't dealt with this type of stress or regimen before.

TinyEvel
11-04-2008, 01:43 AM

I bet it's Midnight Douche (Or Kirstie Tynes...or Santa Claus)

TinyEvel
11-04-2008, 01:45 AM
I bet it's Midnight Douche (Or Kirstie Tynes...or Santa Claus)

You fools are sitting here playing "wait for the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," when you should be banging your wives. :shake:

(Oh, and to pre-empt your reply: "then what are YOU doing here tinyE?" .. Already did that, and she's sound asleep -- BAMM!)

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 01:49 AM
L

But there's something to be said for walking away for a day, just to gain perspective.

Yeah, the perspective is keeping his job.I hate to seem snide, but this is my father coming out on me and what he would say to me word for word.The most driven man I've ever known.

windwalker
11-04-2008, 05:57 AM
If this is really Tyler Thigpen. Take a picture of yourself for verification which acknowledges your identity and you were on ChiefsPlanet( a shout out) with you by the monitor with this website in the background. I really doubt you are Tyler Thigpen, because you should be analyzing game film hardcore now due to it's your job to be prepared going against a NFL football team.

I have the perfect question to find out if it is really Thig.

Hey Thig ! Tell me where Choc's is !!!

That is something the real Tyler would know.. LOL

oaklandhater
11-04-2008, 06:26 AM

FAX

QFT

Some ppl on here Overhype some of the most mediocre Players Ive ever seen a few years ago ppl were saying Warfeild was a Top 5 CB :)

JuicesFlowing
11-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Whether Thigpen is the answer or not is yet to be determined, but what he has is athleticism and heart. He's not as fragile as some quarterbacks I know. Maybe we lucked into the type of quarterback this team needs, I dunno. He's getting better each week though.

oaklandhater
11-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Here we go again He has heart spirt and will you guys sound like a cliché sports movie you did the same Shit with bommer.

KCJohnny
11-04-2008, 06:49 AM

Even God rested on the seventh day.

o:-)

JuicesFlowing
11-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Here we go again He has heart spirt and will you guys sound like a cliché sports movie you did the same Shit with bommer.

Just comparing him to the previous two brittle-boned, slow sack magnets, that's all.

no love
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=194948

not such a bad comparison, eh?

Niblet2008
11-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Thigpen is the man....but if Stafford is there TAKE HIM

Gravedigger
11-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Tyler Thigpen is playing about as well as we've seen in a long time. But he doesn't have the luxury of failure, when he starts to struggle even the slightest amount fans will dump on him. Let's say he has a 3 interception day again, where nothing is working right for him what so ever, you'll see such a fan outcry saying:

"Well that settles that" "I knew Thigpen would f%^& us!" "Bring in Gray!" "Well I guess this settles our first round pick now."

Thigpen doesn't have that luxury, rarely any quarterbacks do. The normal fan scrutiny of Kansas City is on again off again.

KCrockaholic
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=194948

not such a bad comparison, eh?

good call so far! right now, you make over half the CP population look pretty bad.

talastan
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
good call so far! right now, you make over half the CP population look pretty bad.

I'll openly admit that I doubted Thigpen. If he continues to show the flashes he has shown these past couple of weeks, he'll gain my confidence. :clap:

chiefsngop
11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
If Thigpen can keep this level of play going it only makes drafting a solid QB on day 1 that much sweeter.

It has been a long long long time since the Chiefs had potentially TWO solid QBs on the roster. (Few years since we had just one come to think of it)

Can you imagine going into the season with actual depth at RB and QB ?? It would be a great change of pace in Kansas City knowing that we aren't just one injury away from the season going down the toilet.

chiefsngop
11-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I'll openly admit that I doubted Thigpen. If he continues to show the flashes he has shown these past couple of weeks, he'll gain my confidence. :clap:

I talked mad sh*t on the man. I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

Micjones
11-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Wanna know something funny?

Croyle had done less and Planeteers were completely ready for him to have the keys to the brand new car.

Brock
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
At least that makes sense, compared to the strange thought processes of those pining for Huard.

Micjones
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
At least that makes sense, compared to the strange thought processes of those pining for Huard.

Who had also done more than Croyle.
:D

oaklandhater
11-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Wanna know something funny?

Croyle had done less and Planeteers were completely ready for him to have the keys to the brand new car.

another example of the fans overhyping an avg at best QB some ppl on here like to think Croyle was as talented as Matt ryan its down right insane.

oaklandhater
11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Just comparing him to the previous two brittle-boned, slow sack magnets, that's all.

Just seems that some ppl would rather have personality over talent.

KcFanInGA
11-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Either way I want to voice my support for Thiggy. He is really stepping up his game. That being said, Im still looking for that QB pick in the draft, followed immediately by someone who can GET TO THE QUARTERBACK! That is my two cents.

KCinNY
11-05-2008, 06:44 AM
It would be appropriate for the Chiefs to find their QBOTF by accident in Thigpen.

That is...the guy they were ready to cut after the Atlanta performance and only got back on the field because of injuries.

Personally, I love what I've seen in the last two weeks. If he continues to progress for the rest of the season, I'll be very excited for the future.

windwalker
11-05-2008, 06:45 AM
From the Chiefs web site -- Game Notes

"Thigpen the Fifth Triple-Threat Chief in Team History: QB Tyler Thigpen became the fifth player and the first QB in Chiefs history with a rushing TD, a TD reception and to also throw a TD pass. WR Mark Bradley completed the first pass of his NFL career to QB Tyler Thigpen for a 37-yard TD. Bradley became the fifth different Chiefs player to attempt a pass in 2008. It was the first reception of Thigpen’s career."

Thig will be in the Chiefs history book, whether or not he stays here.

"More on Thigpen: QB Tyler Thigpen completed a 56-yard pass to WR Mark Bradley, the longest completion of his career. Thigpen has attempted 83 consecutive passes without an interception. In his last two starts, he has completed 39 of 61 passes (63.9%) of his passes for 444 yards with three TDs and no INTs, numbers that equate to a 102.0 rating."

They don't overally praise him, just state the facts. Almost like they want to keep him under the radar. But all of us know, all of our future opponents are NOW looking at him closely. The odds that he can make it through the rest of the season without a "bad" game does not seem likely.

milkman
11-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Tyler Thigpen is playing about as well as we've seen in a long time. But he doesn't have the luxury of failure, when he starts to struggle even the slightest amount fans will dump on him. Let's say he has a 3 interception day again, where nothing is working right for him what so ever, you'll see such a fan outcry saying:

"Well that settles that" "I knew Thigpen would f%^& us!" "Bring in Gray!" "Well I guess this settles our first round pick now."

Thigpen doesn't have that luxury, rarely any quarterbacks do. The normal fan scrutiny of Kansas City is on again off again.

Yeah, like the fanbase in KC has a fucking clue when it comes to QB play.

milkman
11-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Yeah, the perspective is keeping his job.I hate to seem snide, but this is my father coming out on me and what he would say to me word for word.The most driven man I've ever known.

I hope you aren't a chip off the old block.

Scary thought.

TW a doctor.

Hootie
11-05-2008, 07:48 AM
this board is so draft orientated it's not even funny...

If Thigpen was drafted say...15th overall last year this board would be on cloud 9 crowning Thigpen as our savior after the last two games.

Instead he's 7th round pick waiver wire pickup Tyler Thigpen who can't succeed no matter how well he plays because he is Tyler Thigpen and we're the Chiefs.

Watch the game! He has ALL of the tools...quick release, good feet, good awareness, he's athletic, has a plus arm...his mechanics need some work and his accuracy is sketchy at times...but he's a 2nd year QB from COASTAL CAROLINA...we knew he was a little raw when we signed him...the fact he's learning on the fly and producing is flat out astonishing...and I am 100% rooting for this guy to be our QB for the next 15 years.

milkman
11-05-2008, 07:51 AM

To be fair, Tyler has played really well over the last couple of weeks, and there are only a couple of QBs in this league that don't have a couple of weaknesses in their game.

And the fact is, if we don't get the first overall in the next draft, then Tyler Thigpen, if he continues to play well, will be the QB next year, most likely competing with Gray and a mid round pick.

I want Stafford, but my hopes are fading.

Hootie
11-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I just rather our QB get a contract because he deserves it rather than roll the dice on a top prospect who will come in and be paid as much as Peyton Manning.

If Thigpen keeps proving his worth and showing he can improve and be our guy...I'm all for Tyler Thigpen. Period.

beach tribe
11-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey Tyler, thanks for making Chiefs football fun again. Nice catch BTW. Stick around for a while, and maybe share some thoughts after next weeks game. A lot of us here are pulling for you hard.

oaklandhater
11-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah, like the fanbase in KC has a ****ing clue when it comes to any position play.

FYP

milkman
11-05-2008, 07:56 AM

If Thigpen was drafted say...15th overall last year this board would be on cloud 9 crowning Thigpen as our savior after the last two games.

Instead he's 7th round pick waiver wire pickup Tyler Thigpen who can't succeed no matter how well he plays because he is Tyler Thigpen and we're the Chiefs.

Watch the game! He has ALL of the tools...quick release, good feet, good awareness, he's athletic, has a plus arm...his mechanics need some work and his accuracy is sketchy at times...but he's a 2nd year QB from COASTAL CAROLINA...we knew he was a little raw when we signed him...the fact he's learning on the fly and producing is flat out astonishing...and I am 100% rooting for this guy to be our QB for the next 15 years.

I think you make a lot of good observations, but the fact is, he was a 7th round waiver wire pick up.

If he continues to play at the level he's shown over the last two weeks over the remainder of the season, then we can talk.

Hootie
11-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I think you make a lot of good observations, but the fact is, he was a 7th round waiver wire pick up.

If he continues to play at the level he's shown over the last two weeks over the remainder of the season, then we can talk.

I agree, I'm not ready to crown him...I'm just not looking at where he was drafted or how he was acquired to determine his worth.

After the Atlanta game, if the Chiefs announced they cut Tyler Thigpen, I would have done a friggin' handstand out of pure joy, I kid you not.

The fact he has these tools that we all have seen...and the fact he has made everything click and has put this team (this horrible team) in position two win against two playoff caliber teams in consecutive weeks excites me.

He has the same style of play as Tony Romo...

If (and it's a big if) he continues this level of play, and I know we're not going to see turnover free QB play, and some weeks will be rough, but if he continues playing well and showing he has a high ceiling, there is no reason we don't stick to BPA when we draft next year...I don't see how we're not going to win 3 or 4 games considering we should be 3-5 right now...so we're not getting Stafford...so I hope we don't reach for a QB just because the one we have right now is a no name.

Bill Parcells told Sean Payton not to look at where you got the guy (in terms of draft position) but to judge the player on his play, plain and simple.

Tyler Thigpen has the tools and the demeanor IMO to be a good NFL QB...I believe!

milkman
11-05-2008, 08:07 AM
I agree, I'm not ready to crown him...I'm just not looking at where he was drafted or how he was acquired to determine his worth.

After the Atlanta game, if the Chiefs announced they cut Tyler Thigpen, I would have done a friggin' handstand out of pure joy, I kid you not.

The fact he has these tools that we all have seen...and the fact he has made everything click and has put this team (this horrible team) in position two win against two playoff caliber teams in consecutive weeks excites me.

He has the same style of play as Tony Romo...

If (and it's a big if) he continues this level of play, and I know we're not going to see turnover free QB play, and some weeks will be rough, but if he continues playing well and showing he has a high ceiling, there is no reason we don't stick to BPA when we draft next year...I don't see how we're not going to win 3 or 4 games considering we should be 3-5 right now...so we're not getting Stafford...so I hope we don't reach for a QB just because the one we have right now is a no name.

Bill Parcells told Sean Payton not to look at where you got the guy (in terms of draft position) but to judge the player on his play, plain and simple.

Tyler Thigpen has the tools and the demeanor IMO to be a good NFL QB...I believe!

I don't disagree with any of this.

However, if we did end up with the first pick overall, even if Thigpen shows us that these last two games aren't just flukes, and I believe he will show us that, we still can not pass on Stafford.

Hootie
11-05-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't disagree with any of this.

However, if we did end up with the first pick overall, even if Thigpen shows us that these last two games aren't just flukes, and I believe he will show us that, we still can not pass on Stafford.

If Stafford is the next Peyton Manning...hell yes.

You just never know...

But we aren't going to get the #1 so I think it's a moot point and lets pray to God Thigpen works out because I am tired of us sucking.

philfree
11-05-2008, 08:12 AM
If Thigpen plays the rest of the season like he has the last two games it would still be foolish for the Chiefs to put all their QB eggs in his basket. If Stafford is on the board when it's the Chiefs turn to pick then they should take him. If he's not then maybe the Chiefs should look at a QB in the 2nd round.

PhilFree:arrow:

milkman
11-05-2008, 08:12 AM
If Stafford is the next Peyton Manning...hell yes.

You just never know...

But we aren't going to get the #1 so I think it's a moot point and lets pray to God Thigpen works out because I am tired of us sucking.

I think he's more of an Elway than a Peyton.

milkman
11-05-2008, 08:13 AM
If Thigpen plays the rest of the season like he has the last two games it would still be foolish for the Chiefs to put all their QB eggs in his basket. If Stafford is on the board when it's the Chiefs turn to pick then they should take him. If he's not then maybe the Chiefs should look at a QB in the 2nd round.

I don't think there's a 2nd round quality QB in the next draft.

philfree
11-05-2008, 08:17 AM
I don't think there's a 2nd round quality QB in the next draft.

Where ever one is available then.

Hootie
11-05-2008, 08:21 AM
hey...

At least we have a reason to watch on Sunday...I was really starting to worry after that Carolina game.

RedThat
11-05-2008, 08:25 AM

I agree with this. What also impressed me is his ability to check off. Im referring to the 56-yard catch pass to Bradley. That enabled the deep ball and set up the FG.

RedThat
11-05-2008, 08:27 AM
hey...

At least we have a reason to watch on Sunday...I was really starting to worry after that Carolina game.

Tyler Thigpen has brought some excitement to watching football again. Thank you Tyler Thigpen.

Hootie
11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree with this. What also impressed me is his ability to check off. Im referring to the 56-yard catch pass to Bradley. That enabled the deep ball and set up the FG.

He is going to have his fair share of rough games...but he's showing me A LOT.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Tyler Thigpen has brought some excitement to watching football again. Thank you Tyler Thigpen.

This is true. Every other Thigpen pass is an adventure. He is the Indiana Jones of Chiefs football.

Brock
11-05-2008, 08:54 AM
The best indicator that he's going to be good is gayass Claythan hates him.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2008, 08:57 AM

Because that worked out so well for Bobby Sippio.

RedThat
11-05-2008, 08:58 AM

Is this one of those things when Claythan hates a player he ends up becoming good? Does that happen a lot?

milkman
11-05-2008, 08:59 AM

Exception to the rule.

Thigpen may not be the answer at QB, but you have to be blind or stupid to not recognize that he has played well in his last two starts.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Is this one of those things when Claythan hates a player he ends up becoming good? Does that happen a lot?

No.

Brock
11-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Claythan doesn't know anything about football. If he says one thing, it's safe to bet the other way.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Exception to the rule.

Thigpen may not be the answer at QB, but you have to be blind or stupid to not recognize that he has played well in his last two starts.

He's played OK. He's definitely improved. I don't see him as the answer at QB, though, and all the homering off about him makes me sick.

Especially since he's way overdue for an injury. Then KCJohnny can wax poetic about Quinn Gray.

Brock
11-05-2008, 09:06 AM

Take a look at his record on Herm Edwards. That will tell you everything you need to know.

milkman
11-05-2008, 09:06 AM
He's played OK. He's definitely improved. I don't see him as the answer at QB, though, and all the homering off about him makes me sick.

Especially since he's way overdue for an injury. Then KCJohnny can wax poetic about Quinn Gray.

If Croyle were still playing, and playing this well, your shorts would be moist.

You need some objectivity.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
If Croyle were still playing, and playing this well, your shorts would be moist.

You need some objectivity.

I think Croyle would be playing BETTER given the circumstances.

Anyway, I'm not interested in discussing hypotheticals.

HemiEd
11-05-2008, 09:14 AM

Careful, people will be along to call you a "real fan" for pining for mediocrity.

FWIW I enjoyed watching the last couple of games myself.

milkman
11-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I think Croyle would be playing BETTER given the circumstances.

Anyway, I'm not interested in discussing hypotheticals.

I think that Brodie had talent, but he rarely read defenses and saw the field as well as Thigpen has in these last two games.

If Brodie over sees the field again, and shows the ability to to do anything other than make his forst read before he settles on the checkdown, then he might play as well as Thigpen has.

But lacking that, there isn't a chance in hell that he'd be playing at the same level, much less better.

pr_capone
11-05-2008, 11:53 AM

devard darling

herm edwards

jeff webb too iirc
nuff said

Tribal Warfare
11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I hope you aren't a chip off the old block.

Scary thought.

TW a doctor.

Again you can cut on me, but not my family. Pops, is regarded as the best E.R. doc by his peers if one man you want to operate on you during life and death he's the man for the job. He saves lives every fuckin day so don't piss on his good name.