PDA

View Full Version : Royals Miguel Olivo will be back next season

Sam Hall
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Olivo will return to Royals
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

DANA POINT, Calif. | Veteran catcher Miguel Olivo will return next season to the Royals after he and the club each chose Monday to exercise their mutual option for $2.7 million.

The two sides further agreed to a mutual option covering the 2010 season, although financial terms were not immediately available.

Olivo, 30, batted .255 last season for the Royals with 12 homers and 41 RBIs in 84 games. He previously indicated he was only interested in returning to the club if he entered camp as the No. 1 catcher.

How the decision will affect catcher John Buck is not known. Buck, 28, is eligible for arbitration after making $2.2 million in 2008. He batted .224 with nine homers and 48 RBIs in 109 games.

The Royals, interestingly, did choose to add catcher Brayan Peña, 26, to their 40-man roster. The club acquired Peña on May 30 in a waiver claim from Atlanta. He batted .303 last season with six homers and 31 RBIs in 60 games at Class AAA Omaha.

The club also announced that catcher Matt Tupman and reliever Yasuhiko Yabuta were assigned outright to Omaha after clearing waivers. Shortstop Angel Sanchez was lost to the Toronto Blue Jays in a waiver claim.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/872703.html

KCUnited
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm cool with that.

Sam Hall
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
It didn't seem like Olivo wanted to come back. I wonder if Buck will be part of a bigger trade this off-season.

Sam Hall
11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
There's a rumor that the Royals want to sign Willy Taveras:(

Pitt Gorilla
11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
One of those two should be dealt. I'd like one of the catchers from Texas.

triple
11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
.224 with nine homers and 48 RBIs in 109 games.

that is the line of a guy that you cut loose

eazyb81
11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
that is the line of a guy that you cut loose

not when your other option is John Buck.

EDIT: nevermind, thought you were referring to Olivo. I agree that Buck needs to go, he's awful. Olivo and Brayan Pena should be our catchers next season.

KCUnited
11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
not when your other option is John Buck.

Those were Buck's numbers.

beavis
11-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow, I'm genuinely shocked by this. I guess Buck might as well pack his bags.

I really thought they'd try to address catching through a trade.

Demonpenz
11-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I liked the combo but olivo is a freaking animal in the weight room

Sure-Oz
11-03-2008, 05:48 PM

He can be our new tom goodwin, stealing 60 bases but having a shitty bat and OBP, YES!!!!!!!!

Does this mean Buck is gone?

Mama Hip Rockets
11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
One of those two should be dealt. I'd like one of the catchers from Texas.

yeah, how about the shitty one?

Sam Hall
11-04-2008, 07:41 AM
This could be total BS, but Moore and Hillman say they want three catchers on the roster:shake:

The team also doesn't want to add much payroll:mad:

Royals GM Moore gets busy

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

DANA POINT, Calif. | Last week’s acquisition of first baseman Mike Jacobs is just the start of what Royals general manager Dayton Moore anticipates will be a busy offseason.

Moore’s wish list still includes a veteran middle infielder, a run-producing outfielder and help for both the bullpen and rotation. That will be his focus this week at the St. Regis Resort, located roughly 30 miles southeast of Disneyland, when baseball’s general managers gather for their annual meetings.

“There is always opportunity out there,” Moore said. “It’s just up to us to be creative and figure out how to make it work. We’re at a point in time where we have to make sure the guys who we bring in make sense and put us in a position where we’re not restricted as we go forward on things we want to do.”

That’s a gentle way of saying Moore is battling financial restrictions this winter as he seeks to bolster a club that finished last season at 75-87 and escaped last place in the American League Central Division for the first time in five years.

Club officials expect no major increases in a payroll of roughly $60 million, which likely limits Moore to one impact free-agent addition — and probably a second-tier one at that.

The Royals already have $39.2 million committed next season to eight players after Monday’s decision to exercise a mutual option for $2.7 million with catcher Miguel Olivo.

The other guarantees: José Guillen ($12 million), Gil Meche ($11 million), Ron Mahay ($4 million), David DeJesus ($3.6 million), Yasuhiko Yabuta ($3 million), Ross Gload ($1.9 million) and Joakim Soria ($1 million).

A list of 14 potential arbitration cases — a staggering number — includes Jacobs, who figures to command between $2 million-$3 million after hitting 32 homers and driving in 93 runs last season for Florida.

Zack Greinke should zoom past $2 million — perhaps way past — while John Buck, Olivo and Mark Teahen are already at $2 million-plus.

First-time arbitration eligibles include Kyle Davies, Brian Bannister and John Bale. The first two are in line for a major hike. In contrast, Bale made $2.2 million last season in completing a two-year, $4 million deal that lured him back from Japan.

The Royals also face decisions on Joey Gathright, Jimmy Gobble, Esteban German, Joel Peralta, Brandon Duckworth, Jason Smith and Luke Hudson. Some or all could be jettisoned to free roster space and payroll.

Dollars will be tight in any scenario. That makes it no surprise when Moore admits: “Our focus is going to be through trades and other opportunities that may arise.”

Moore recently spiked rumors that Teahen could be headed to Cleveland for an outfielder, but Teahen remains one of the club’s top trade possibilities — especially because his salary should approach $3 million or more.

The GMs are meeting through Wednesday, although many won’t depart until Thursday. The official reason for their gathering is to discuss topics of mutual interest — last year’s talks, for example, included the possible use of instant replay.

Unofficially but more importantly, the meetings serve as a facilitator for face-to-face trade talks. Many agents also roam the lobby in hopes of generating opportunities for their clients.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/873368.html

Demonpenz
11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Olivo can play some first .....

Mr. Arrowhead
11-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Olivo can play some first .....
yea so can half the team

eazyb81
11-04-2008, 08:51 AM

This is the one that is really scaring me.......

SCTrojan
11-04-2008, 09:18 AM
yea so can half the team

ROFL

Sam Hall
11-05-2008, 03:44 PM
This is the one that is really scaring me.......

Than you won't like the Yuniesky Betancourt rumor:eek:

gblowfish
11-05-2008, 03:53 PM
John Buck is less than average as a defensive catcher, and very poor as an offensive player. He had a zip for 50 stretch in August. He's bad at throwing guys out too. I could steal on him. And I'm old and fat.