PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft what's so great about matthew stafford?

Mama Hip Rockets
11-03-2008, 08:22 PM
i don't watch college football, so forgive me for being ignorant. but i am looking at matthew stafford's stats, and in his college career he has thrown 38 touchdowns and 31 intereceptions. why is everybody so hellbent on drafting a guy who has such underwhelming numbers at the college level?

Mecca
11-03-2008, 08:22 PM
You can't use stats to project did you watch the thread with all the videos?

kstater
11-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Because clearly stats are what's most important in deciding on which QB to draft. That's why Tebow is the runaway favorite to go #1.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-03-2008, 08:23 PM
You can't use stats to project did you watch the thread with all the videos?

no, but i don't think any amount of video could convince me to draft a QB who throws that many interceptions IN COLLEGE.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 08:25 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=192425

Check out that thread there's a ton of vids to start it...

Matt Ryan threw 18 INT's his senior season at BC.....it's not just about stats.

BigVE
11-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Like kstater said, if you go by stats alone then it's tebow by a landslide. Stafford has the body, the basic tools and so on but so do a few other guys like Sanchez, Bradford just to name a couple. I'm thinking it's going to be a crapshoot no matter who we choose/draft at QB regardless of stats.

Reerun_KC
11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
no, but i don't think any amount of video could convince me to draft a QB who throws that many interceptions IN COLLEGE. Oh Noes..... Lets not take a chance on drafting for the future...

Mecca
11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Like kstater said, if you go by stats alone then it's tebow by a landslide. Stafford has the body, the basic tools and so on but so do a few other guys like Sanchez, Bradford just to name a couple. I'm thinking it's going to be a crapshoot no matter who we choose/draft at QB regardless of stats.

Bradford is more stats than tools.....

I'd tell you Stafford and Sanchez are the guys with pure NFL tools but Stafford has alot more starting experience than Mark does right now.

Coach
Just out of curiousity. What was JaMarcus' stats at LSU?

DaKCMan AP
no, but i don't think any amount of video could convince me to draft a QB who throws that many interceptions IN COLLEGE.

Says the genius who doesn't watch college football. :spock:

chiefs1111
11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Stafford is the best qb prospect in this years draft hands down,assuming he comes out. He can make all the throws and more importantly he can take a hit and get back up. It probably won't matter in the end anyways since the Lions will probably keep losing and finish with a worse record then the Chiefs and they will get the number 1 pick. Also like Mecca said,you have to look at more than just the stats also...

Chiefnj2
11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
1. Strong arm
2. Size
3. Pro System
4. Decent decision making.

Rain Man
We've been informed that we're a "drooling retard" if we don't recognize that Stafford is the greatest talent of this generation. You must not have received that notice.

BigVE
Bradford is more stats than tools.....

I'd tell you Stafford and Sanchez are the guys with pure NFL tools but Stafford has alot more starting experience than Mark does right now.

And we don't really know if ANY of these guys will declare this year anyways. They could all really use another year of college.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 08:33 PM
We've been informed that we're a "drooling retard" if we don't recognize that Stafford is the greatest talent of this generation. You must not have received that notice.

Sometimes you really make me wanna smack you...no offense.

Deberg_1990
11-03-2008, 08:33 PM
College stats are the only thing that matters.

Thats why Ty Detmer was a Hall of Famer.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
You know what else I love about Stafford and Sanchez?

When they change the plays, they change the plays they don't pull up and look at the sideline for the audible. Nothing irritates me more than teams that do that, it completely takes the game out of the QB's hands and leaves him with 0 responsibility to read the defense or change the play.

It really pisses me off when I see teams do that it's basically telling me you think your QB is a tard that you have to change the play for him.

milkman
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Danny Weurful(sp).

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Timmy Chang

Rain Man
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Sometimes you really make me wanna smack you...no offense.

I'll warn you, I'm quicker than I look.

suds79
11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
:banghead: Oh man I forgot to look at the stats!

Sign me up for some Graham Harrell action with our 1st next year. :thumb:

Mecca
11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I'll warn you, I'm quicker than I look.

I don't have any problem with you just sometimes your thoughts are so far beyond reasonable logic then you'll present some weird argument using intelligent words then people gravitate toward it like it's fact.

Like you're whole thread about trading players for picks and your one yesterday about top 3 picks, sometimes it's just maddening.

Coach
11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd be curious to see how's Stafford's "attitude" is in GA.....

Mecca
11-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Are you saying you think he has an attitude problem?

BigVE
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I'd be curious to see how's Stafford's "attitude" is in GA.....

I would say its bruised and battered.

JBucc
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
He has good size, a laser rocket arm, good head on his shoulders, knows how to read a defense pre-snap, quick release, good athleticism, good pocket presence, and plays in a pro style offense.

Some negatives, like many young QB's with really strong arms will force the ball, and despite his strong arm I don't think he throws that great of a deep ball. He's better at intermediate routes where he can put some zip on it. I've also seen him put the ball in bad spots at times forcing his receivers to either turn or slow down when they shouldn't have too.

Coach
11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Are you saying you think he has an attitude problem?

Please point out whereever I said that he had a "attitude problem".

Mecca
His deep ball can be corrected easily he just throws it to much on a line, all he has to do is throw it higher and it's fixed.

Mecca
Please point out whereever I said that he had a "attitude problem".

I was trying to figure out what you meant by your post.

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Stafford's biggest problem is forcing things thats mainly due to his arm. But thats a correctable problem.

Coach
11-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I was trying to figure out what you meant by your post.

Ryan Leaf was very talented, but none of us knew that he had a attitude problem until draft time, during his SR year, or after his SR year was over as well.

JP Losman, while playing for Tulane, was a really well hated guy there, albeit very talented there, because he was stuck up, asshole type of a guy.

Basically, I'm just curious to see what/where/kind of attitude Stafford has.

Deberg_1990
11-03-2008, 08:46 PM
His deep ball can be corrected easily he just throws it to much on a line, all he has to do is throw it higher and it's fixed.

Stafford is just a Dick Curl away from being a top QB in the NFL. :)

milkman
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Ryan Leaf was very talented, but none of us knew that he had a attitude problem until draft time, during his SR year, or after his SR year was over as well.

JP Losman, while playing for Tulane, was a really well hated guy there, albeit very talented there, because he was stuck up, asshole type of a guy.

Basically, I'm just curious to see what/where/kind of attitude Stafford has.

Actually, there was report near the time of the draft that Bobby Beathard had a psych evaluation that stated that Ryan Leaf was a head case, and that it was extremely likely he would fail.

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Bobby Beathard - talk about somebody who couldnt draft.

Deberg_1990
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Bobby Beathard - talk about somebody who couldnt draft.

Yea, thats why He sent like 4 teams to the Super Bowl with the Redskins and Chargers.

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Yea, thats why He sent like 4 teams to the Super Bowl with the Redskins and Chargers.

And also made that team in the cluster flock they were in the late 90s and early 00s.

Deberg_1990
11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
And also made that team in the cluster flock they were in the late 90s and early 00s.

True, but you cant take away from what he accomplished prior.

Almost every player, GM, coach in the NFL outlives his usefullness.

If Carl Peterson would have stepped aside like he should have 10 years ago, he would be remembed as an Icon in KC now.

the Talking Can
11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
he isn't perfect, so people who have never watched him play have an excuse to avoid drafting a QB and continue our near two decade long reign of incredible shitty-ness....

milkman
11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
True, but you cant take away from what he accomplished prior.

Almost every player, GM, coach in the NFL outlives his usefullness.

Agreed.

If Carl Peterson would have stepped aside like he should have 10 years ago, he would be remembed as an Icon in KC now.

And I would be one of the few that would look back and think it was a wasted 10 years, much like I am one of a very small minority to think the trade for Montana was a mistake.

Gravedigger
11-03-2008, 09:22 PM
i don't watch college football, so forgive me for being ignorant. but i am looking at matthew stafford's stats, and in his college career he has thrown 38 touchdowns and 31 intereceptions. why is everybody so hellbent on drafting a guy who has such underwhelming numbers at the college level?

I'm a big Stafford supporter here's what I see in him:

If you look at a good amount of his interceptions that he's throw, alot of them are tipped passes and I'm not even joking, two of which happened against Florida. His recievers can't catch the ball alot of the time when its a bullet, it is very similar to Elway or Favre that alot of interceptions thrown by them are just passes that were rockets.

His big arm, the fact that he can roll out and while on the run, not setting his feet, he can bomb it fifty/sixty yards by just flinging it. It's quite incredible how strong his arm is, also where he puts the ball on his heatseeker passes as well as his 30+ yard throws is pretty sick as well.

His size is very prototypical of a well built quarterback, he's not as bulky as Freeman or Tebow, but he's a Carson Palmer like quarterback as far as stature and size. 6'3 220ish is a very good size.

I've seen him take alot of hits and get up afterwards, possibly limp around, but he walks it off. He's alot tougher than talk radio guys give him credit for like Soren Petro.

But the best thing that Stafford brings to your team is the ability to come back. If he gets the green light, which sometimes the Georgia coaching staff doesn't give him, he can put up 14-21 points in a quarter and/or 30 points in a half, like he did against Alabama. I just think that if he's there for us to pick up he's just too damn good to pass up, just like Calvin Johnson was for Detroit even though they took WR's for the past two first round picks.

Gravedigger
11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
What we have to remember is every QB could be a bust. You could have an easy to see case such as Brodie being injury proned, to the more difficult ones like finding a Tom Brady in the latter rounds. So if your only arguement is that Stafford could be like a Ryan Leaf, then you belong in the same boat as Soren Petro that even though people give you ten million reasons to take something you give one and can't think of much else

alanm
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Stafford is the best qb prospect in this years draft hands down,assuming he comes out. He can make all the throws and more importantly he can take a hit and get back up. It probably won't matter in the end anyways since the Lions will probably keep losing and finish with a worse record then the Chiefs and they will get the number 1 pick. Also like Mecca said,you have to look at more than just the stats also...If you were a jr. in college and one of the top QB prospects and you knew you would be drafted by the Lions or Chiefs and possibly the Bengals would you declare?
I wouldn't. :spock:

milkman
11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
If you were a jr. in college and one of the top QB prospects and you knew you would be drafted by the Lions or Chiefs and possibly the Bengals would you declare?

If you are a top pick in the draft, then there's a very good possibility you're going to be drafted by a suckass team.

DaKCMan AP
11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
If you were a jr. in college and one of the top QB prospects and you knew you would be drafted by the Lions or Chiefs and possibly the Bengals would you declare?

Right, because next year a great team will draft #1 overall. :spock:

Mecca
11-03-2008, 09:45 PM

I would because of the money that goes with it, if your the top QB a bad team is going to pick you no matter what, why go back and risk injury or a rookie salary scale screwing with what you get paid?

Mama Hip Rockets
11-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm a big Stafford supporter here's what I see in him:

If you look at a good amount of his interceptions that he's throw, alot of them are tipped passes and I'm not even joking, two of which happened against Florida. His recievers can't catch the ball alot of the time when its a bullet, it is very similar to Elway or Favre that alot of interceptions thrown by them are just passes that were rockets.

His big arm, the fact that he can roll out and while on the run, not setting his feet, he can bomb it fifty/sixty yards by just flinging it. It's quite incredible how strong his arm is, also where he puts the ball on his heatseeker passes as well as his 30+ yard throws is pretty sick as well.

His size is very prototypical of a well built quarterback, he's not as bulky as Freeman or Tebow, but he's a Carson Palmer like quarterback as far as stature and size. 6'3 220ish is a very good size.

I've seen him take alot of hits and get up afterwards, possibly limp around, but he walks it off. He's alot tougher than talk radio guys give him credit for like Soren Petro.

But the best thing that Stafford brings to your team is the ability to come back. If he gets the green light, which sometimes the Georgia coaching staff doesn't give him, he can put up 14-21 points in a quarter and/or 30 points in a half, like he did against Alabama. I just think that if he's there for us to pick up he's just too damn good to pass up, just like Calvin Johnson was for Detroit even though they took WR's for the past two first round picks.

thanks for the input.

alanm
11-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Right, because next year a great team will draft #1 overall. :spock:I'm sure there will be a different cast of teams picking first next year. Last year it was St. Louis, Atlanta and Oakland. Outside of Oakland a better preferential cast of teams KC nonwithstanding. :D

Mecca
11-03-2008, 09:51 PM
When you are the lock #1 you go...if you do anything to hurt your stock like getting hurt or the league puts in some rookie cap you just cost yourself millions.

alanm
11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I would because of the money that goes with it, if your the top QB a bad team is going to pick you no matter what, why go back and risk injury or a rookie salary scale screwing with what you get paid?Their going to get their money where ever they go. Or would you think one of these guys would pull a Elway?

Mecca
11-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Their going to get their money where ever they go. Or would you think one of these guys would pull a Elway?

If he were to get injured and be say pick 8 the next year he cost himself about 25 million dollars...

If they enacted a rookie pay scale then he probably cost himself alot more than that...

alanm
11-03-2008, 09:55 PM
When you are the lock #1 you go...if you do anything to hurt your stock like getting hurt or the league puts in some rookie cap you just cost yourself millions.I've a feeling a rookie cap is around the bend within the next 2 yrs.

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Stafford is from Dallas and Kansas City isnt that different and its close for his family. So I doubt he would pull that.

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Stafford is from Dallas and Kansas City isnt that different and its close for his family. So I doubt he would pull that.

Stafford would be Clark's golden boy too since the kid is from Highland,TX.

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Stafford would be Clark's golden boy too since the kid is from Highland,TX.

Highland Park actually, home of the Hunt family's favorite college - SMU.

Gravedigger
11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Here is why Stafford is coming out:

1. Knowshon Moreno, being smart and knowing that running backs have to strike while the iron is hot, is a third year sophomore and can come out, so to get a good payday he will come out.

2. Mohamed Massaquoi, one of two of Staffords big targets, is a senior and is coming out. So you're losing two damn good weapons.

Not only that but if you know you're going to be a top 5 pick, getting a good 5 year 50 million dollar contract minimum, then why stay to try and prove nothing you really need to. You can be sitting there watching the draft while two of your friends are getting taken in the first and second rounds while you sit and drink a beer, or you can go ahead of them, possibly get on the same team as them, and get paid crazy money.

Stafford is coming out.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:02 PM
That settles it, it is time to lose every game so we can draft him.

alanm
11-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Stafford is from Dallas and Kansas City isnt that different and its close for his family. So I doubt he would pull that.I think Stafford is a moot point because I fully expect the Chiefs to win about 2-3 more games and pick about 5-6 this year. So an alternative to Stafford would seem to be the one to haggle over. Carl doesn't have the moxie to move up to get Stafford without hocking the Chiefs future.

Gravedigger
I will be honest though, Houston scares me now, if Thigpen keeps doing well, and Rosenfels fails, knowing that Stafford came from Texas, knowing that Texan fans are tired of Shaub being a bust, wouldn't you take a home town boy like Stafford?

Mecca
I think Stafford is a moot point because I fully expect the Chiefs to win about 2-3 more games and pick about 5-6 this year. So an alternative to Stafford would seem to be the one to haggle over. Carl doesn't have the moxie to move up to get Stafford without hocking the Chiefs future.

:( must you ruin my dream?

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I will be honest though, Houston scares me now, if Thigpen keeps doing well, and Rosenfels fails, knowing that Stafford came from Texas, knowing that Texan fans are tired of Shaub being a bust, wouldn't you take a home town boy like Stafford?

You mean homestate? Stafford is from Dallas.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:04 PM

I think they have to much money in Schaub to take another QB...and I think they'll win 6 games.

alanm
11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
:( must you ruin my dream?Sorry man, If you're a Chiefs fan you know that's the way it plays out. :spock:

Gravedigger
11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
You know what I mean. They passed on Vince Young before, you think they'd make the same mistake twice?

milkman
11-03-2008, 10:09 PM
You know what I mean. They passed on Vince Young before, you think they'd make the same mistake twice?

When did passing on Vince Young become a mistake?

Gravedigger
11-03-2008, 10:09 PM
If the draft happened today you'd have

1. Detroit
2. Cincinatti
3. Kansas City
4. San Francisco
5. Seattle
6. St. Louis
7. Oakland
8. Houston
9. Jacksonville
10. Cleveland

I dunno I think I'm more paranoid about Carl being Carl.

alanm
11-03-2008, 10:12 PM

1. Detroit
2. Cincinatti
3. Kansas City
4. San Francisco
5. Seattle
6. St. Louis
7. Oakland
8. Houston
9. Jacksonville
10. Cleveland

I dunno I think I'm more paranoid about Carl being Carl.And who's to say Cincy doesn't go QB.

milkman
11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
And who's to say Cincy doesn't go QB.

Carson Palmer has a big contract through about 2012 or later.

That contract says they don't go QB.

Coach
11-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Carson Palmer has a big contract through about 2012 or later.

That contract says they don't go QB.

They'd be wise to get a late round QB though.

Detroit on the other hand, could get a QB here. Kitna's done. Don't think Culpepper will be there more than two years, max.

Gravedigger
11-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah all the fear comes from Detroit, they're going to have a new coach, a new GM, and they're probably going to look for a new face to their franchise. THE ONLY thing I see that gives me hope is either if Bradford comes out as well, and also I heard that the Lions want to see what Drew Stanton has, the QB the took a year or so back.

Mecca
If you want to be worried about being behind Cincy be worried about them calling up all the teams that want a QB going "what are you gonna give us" and basically auctioning it off.

And yes the biggest fear is Carl still being here and Stafford being there and them not making the pick.

milkman

Detroit on the other hand, could get a QB here. Kitna's done. Don't think Culpepper will be there more than two years, max.

Yep, and I just can't see the Lions finishing the season with more wins than the Chiefs.

alanm
11-03-2008, 10:18 PM

Detroit on the other hand, could get a QB here. Kitna's done. Don't think Culpepper will be there more than two years, max.You KNOW Detroit is going QB.

Gravedigger
11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
If you want to be worried about being behind Cincy be worried about them calling up all the teams that want a QB going "what are you gonna give us" and basically auctioning it off.

And yes the biggest fear is Carl still being here and Stafford being there and them not making the pick.

Good point Mecca, I didnt think of them pulling a Dallas on us and trading the pick.

milkman
11-03-2008, 10:22 PM

Actually, Cinncinatti gets the first pick, that is a better scenario for the Chiefs than the Lions getting that pick.

The Chiefs would just have to do whatever is necessary to trade for that pick.

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 10:34 PM
The Bengals are not exactly the brightest bunch in the world.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Actually, Cinncinatti gets the first pick, that is a better scenario for the Chiefs than the Lions getting that pick.

The Chiefs would just have to do whatever is necessary to trade for that pick.

The odds of the Chiefs trading several picks for the QB is about the same as Claythan getting laid....I don't even trust them to make the pick if he's on the board when they pick.

This organization is completely afraid of everything a 1st round QB represents, and alot of the fan base is too.

cdcox
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM

1. Detroit
2. Cincinatti
3. Kansas City
4. San Francisco
5. Seattle
6. St. Louis
7. Oakland
8. Houston
9. Jacksonville
10. Cleveland

I dunno I think I'm more paranoid about Carl being Carl.

By the end of the season, Cincinnatti will probably have a stronger SOS that we will (about 88% certain), hence we will probably draft before them if our records are tied.

The things I fear most, in order:

KC will win another game or two

Detroit won't lose any games

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:37 PM
By the end of the season, Cincinnatti will probably have a stronger SOS that we will (about 88% certain), hence we will probably draft before them if our records are tied.

The things I fear most, in order:

KC will win another game or two

Detroit won't lose any games

I fear Stafford being on the board and the Chiefs trading out then having to listen to "we like Tyler Thigpen" from Carl for 2 weeks.

cdcox
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I fear Stafford being on the board and the Chiefs trading out then having to listen to "we like Tyler Thigpen" from Carl for 2 weeks.

I'll start worrying about that once the season is over and our draft position in secured.

Carl could be that stupid, and Clark may not care enough to stop him.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I'll start worrying about that once the season is over and our draft position in secured.

Carl could be that stupid, and Clark may not care enough to stop him.

I don't think we should worry, weird things happen, we all thought the Rams couldn't win they got 2, I think the Lions will surprise someone and win 2 games.

The chiefs got 3 and 4 turnovers and still lost....I think San Diego will wax us and make everyone think we totally blow again.

Gravedigger
11-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I think it'll be like a 34-24 game against San Diego. We seem to be mid 20's offense against moderate defenses so San Diego shouldn't pose much problem, but if they get their offense going then we're fooked.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
With how bad some of our secondary is Rivers will kill us.

LiL stumppy
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM

Yup, Mecca is the king of kings when it comes to scouting. If he says he's going to be good, he will be good!

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Yup, Mecca is the king of kings when it comes to scouting. If he says he's going to be good, he will be good!

You doubt me!

88TG88
11-03-2008, 10:51 PM

If that does happen, I believe it could, who do you think we go after ?

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2008, 10:51 PM

So hows Joe Staley?

Mecca
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
If that does happen, I believe it could, who do you think we go after ?

This is the Chiefs so they'd get really myopic and take Oher, not that I think Oher will be bad because I don't I just don't think that'd be a good thing to do.

LiL stumppy
11-03-2008, 10:59 PM
You doubt me!

Weren't you the one that said you have never seen Bradford throw a pass good enough for the NFL?

Mecca
11-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Weren't you the one that said you have never seen Bradford throw a pass good enough for the NFL?

Tell me where he makes NFL throws..throwing to guys with 5 yards of separation or bubble screens don't show me how he'd play in the NFL...he also has a rag arm.

But hey don't believe me even though the draft is something I have a very good track record with.

LiL stumppy
11-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Tell me where he makes NFL throws..throwing to guys with 5 yards of separation or bubble screens don't show me how he'd play in the NFL...he also has a rag arm.

But hey don't believe me even though the draft is something I have a very good track record with.

Dear God go watch film of the kid. He has made many NFL ready throws. He may not have an arm as strong as Stafford's, but his accuracy is much better, especially when Bradford throws on the run.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I've seen a ton of his stuff I've watched a bunch of their games...throwing to wide open guys is not NFL throws.

And his accuracy is severely overrated, I think any scrub could hit 65% in that offense.

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Cromartie is going to destroy Thigpen's confidence when he intercepts his passes all day long.

Horizons01
11-04-2008, 02:44 AM
I felt that I had to chime since someone asked about Stafford's attitude at UGA. First of all, he doesn't have an attitude. He never puts himself above the needs of the team. He's a team first player. I've followed his career since high school, and I've never heard him talking trash. Ever. He's not a sore loser and always gives the other team props. But that doesn't mean that he's used to losing. On the contrary. Being from Highland Park, he grew up among people who not only hope to win but expect to win. He doesn't care about stats but winning. His record against ranked teams is 10-3. No other QB in the country has a better record than him against ranked teams.

Also, some of you mentioned that Stafford's problem is forcing things due to his arm. I have to agree to an extent with that because sometimes when the team is behind he has to start taking chances. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The good thing is that he's aware that he has to keep his arm under control. Here's what he said about it.

"I don't think there's a throw on the field that I really can't make. That's something you've got to be careful with. You've got to go through your progressions and get it to the right guy. There's a time and place to try and fit the ball in and that's one thing I think I've actually got better understanding as well."

I wish I could post a link to a video of Stafford throwing in practice so you could see just how dramatic the difference is between him and other QBs. This board won't let me post links though.:(

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-04-2008, 02:53 AM
i don't watch college football, so forgive me for being ignorant.

Then shut up.

chiefs1111
11-04-2008, 03:41 AM

also the fact that we can't get any pressure on the QB as well. Rivers will have all day to throw. Im saying he will get at least 375 yards easy at least.

Chargers 41
Chiefs 17

chiefs1111
11-04-2008, 03:43 AM
I've seen a ton of his stuff I've watched a bunch of their games...throwing to wide open guys is not NFL throws.

And his accuracy is severely overrated, I think any scrub could hit 65% in that offense.

except for Damon Huard ROFL

mylittlepony
11-04-2008, 03:54 AM
I felt that I had to chime since someone asked about Stafford's attitude at UGA. First of all, he doesn't have an attitude. He never puts himself above the needs of the team. He's a team first player. I've followed his career since high school, and I've never heard him talking trash. Ever. He's not a sore loser and always gives the other team props. But that doesn't mean that he's used to losing. On the contrary. Being from Highland Park, he grew up among people who not only hope to win but expect to win. He doesn't care about stats but winning. His record against ranked teams is 10-3. No other QB in the country has a better record than him against ranked teams.

Also, some of you mentioned that Stafford's problem is forcing things due to his arm. I have to agree to an extent with that because sometimes when the team is behind he has to start taking chances. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The good thing is that he's aware that he has to keep his arm under control. Here's what he said about it.

"I don't think there's a throw on the field that I really can't make. That's something you've got to be careful with. You've got to go through your progressions and get it to the right guy. There's a time and place to try and fit the ball in and that's one thing I think I've actually got better understanding as well."

I wish I could post a link to a video of Stafford throwing in practice so you could see just how dramatic the difference is between him and other QBs. This board won't let me post links though.:(

Whats his leadership skills like. I was bothered a bit when I saw the morguelike setting on the sideline against Bama. Is he the type of guy who can motivate and lead a team to a comeback?

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Whats his leadership skills like. I was bothered a bit when I saw the morguelike setting on the sideline against Bama. Is he the type of guy who can motivate and lead a team to a comeback?

He almost did, but his receivers were dropping balls a all through the game.

Fairplay
11-04-2008, 08:01 AM
If by good fortune we to get Stafford, our receivers better learn to catch that ball when he zings it to them.

Horizons01
11-04-2008, 01:32 PM

Here are a couple of articles that will give you a better idea of his leadership abilities. Keep in mind that Stafford is very young for a junior. He's actually younger than our RBs even though one is a sophomore and another a redshirt freshman. He's also as young as our leading WR, AJ Green, who's a true freshman. He is older than his whole offensive line though, so you can imagine how young this team is.

If you don't want to read all that, here are a couple of quotes:

"Senior tight end Tripp Chandler said Stafford was assertive during the offseason in getting players together for “voluntary” workouts. “If he says be somewhere,” Chandler said, “guys are going to be somewhere.”

""Matthew Stafford was on probably all but one or two," Richt said. "That's 105 to 130 guys. The players believe he's the leader of this football team. That's crucial when your quarterback does that. Matthew knows that's his role now."

"I think his voice is heard from every person on the team," redshirt junior cornerback Bryan Evans said. "No one questions when he says something. Whatever he says, we try to run with it."

Riley Odoms 88
11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Stafford has the best tools of any QB in college football, but he would be wise to stay for his senior season ala Matt Ryan. He's not ready for the NFL.

evolve27
11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Stafford has the best tools of any QB in college football, but he would be wise to stay for his senior season ala Matt Ryan. He's not ready for the NFL.

Yeah I heard from a hardcore GA fan that he won't come out, he guarantees it.

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Stafford's the most NFL ready QB in this draft, and due to monetary purposes he will likely declare.

Riley Odoms 88
11-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Stafford's the most NFL ready QB in this draft, and due to monetary purposes he will likely declare.

Most NFL ready and most NFL skilled are entirely two different things.

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 01:43 PM

I'll believe it when the declare date passes, because shit can change in a heartbeat.

crazycoffey
11-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Thats why Ty Detmer was a Hall of Famer.

No! NFL Tools are the only thing that matters!!! That's why Ryan Leaf is an All Pro!!!!11!!11!11!!!1

Brock
11-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Waiting until 2010 to enter the draft wouldn't be smart, IMO. They will install a rookie cap.

Niblet2008
11-04-2008, 01:52 PM
He's the real deal!

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Most NFL ready and most NFL skilled are entirely two different things.

Guess what he has both

Horizons01
11-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Not even the most hardcore UGA fan knows what Stafford is going to do at the end of the season. He has stated multiple times that he's doesn't know what he's going to do, and that he's going to wait until the end of the season to make a decison. He did get an insurance policy from Lloyd's of London back in spring. What does that mean? I don't know, but I thought it was interesting that he got the policy before his junior season. Why would he get on soon after his sophomore year if he was thinking of staying until his seanior season. Those policies don't come cheap, and even though he's from Highland Park, his family is not rich. Both his parents work, and he has been driving the same used car that he got back in high school. I doubt he comes back if he's projected as a Top 5 pick. His dream has always been to play in the NFL, and college is just a stepping stone towards that goal.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Me Olde Initial Two Cents regarding the "Stafford Love Train".

My initial "Huzzah" regarding Stafford WAS based on hype:

"He's the best, right"? "Everybody says so"! "Well then it must be true"!!! lol.And then I started watching film.

And then I started looking at the numbers.

And today?...

Look; if Stafford had kept it neck and neck like a Red-River Shootout, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But, he went up against a better than average "D", where he had to perform in under less than ideal circumstances( ie; no "magical O-Line" ), and he got plowed. BIG time.
And dude, I don't wanna' beat a dead horse but good God; his form is terrible!
His passes look like sh*t with a Capital "S"!
Care to take a wild guess as to which current KC Chief occupying a spot on the QB roster threw "warble balls"-a plenty during HIS days on the College Gridiron???
( Hint: it ain't Tyler Thigpen )
Plus, the guy has no urgency whatsoever!
One thing I can say about Thigpen is that he DOES play with urgency. It didn't serve him too well at first, but now that he's becoming less reckless; it's an asset.
I'm sorry man, but I just can't get behind Stafford coming to KC.

If we're drafting a QB by way of Texass, let's get on the "Harrell Red Raider Love Train"; that boy got skillz!

BigMeatballDave
11-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Thats why Ty Detmer was a Hall of Famer.LMAO

Chief Faithful
11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Matthew Stafford is not so great, which is the source of the confusion. But we can take a chance because we have Thickpig if he still sucks when he gets in the NFL.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Matthew Stafford is not so great, which is the source of the confusion. But we can take a chance because we have Thickpig if he still sucks when he gets in the NFL.

I can not for the life of me figure out how some people, who have cried non-stop( and rightly so )about how bad we need a Quarterback, are not satisfied with Tyler's play.

The kid had ONE WEEK of full responsibility, "you're the man now", taking the snaps for real practice and game planning, and he came out for his first starter game and BLEW THE DOORS OFF OF ANYTHING THAT BRODIE, DAMON, OR QB #327.5 HAVE EVER HAD TO OFFER!

That is PHENOMENAL. And it's even more so when you consider the fact that our O-Line has been playing like shit since day one.
Did somebody wave a magic wand over the O-Line in the locker room before Tyler's first game? No. Is the line playing better? YES.
And ya' wanna' know why?
They believe in the guy they're trying to protect.

milkman
11-05-2008, 06:38 AM
I can not for the life of me figure out how some people, who have cried non-stop( and rightly so )about how bad we need a Quarterback, are not satisfied with Tyler's play.

The kid had ONE WEEK of full responsibility, "you're the man now", taking the snaps for real practice and game planning, and he came out for his first starter game and BLEW THE DOORS OFF OF ANYTHING THAT BRODIE, DAMON, OR QB #327.5 HAVE EVER HAD TO OFFER!

That is PHENOMENAL. And it's even more so when you consider the fact that our O-Line has been playing like shit since day one.
Did somebody wave a magic wand over the O-Line in the locker room before Tyler's first game? No. Is the line playing better? YES.
And ya' wanna' know why?

No, actually, they aren't playing better.

The playcalling, along with the fact that Tyler is making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball for the most, is minimizing the weakness of the O-Line.

And yes, Tyler is playing well, but that in no way minimizes the need to draft QB.

And I, for the life of me, can't figure out how you myopians can watch Stafford for more than a couple of games and not come away dreaming of him in Chiefs uniform.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 08:44 AM
No, actually, they aren't playing better.

The playcalling, along with the fact that Tyler is making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball for the most, is minimizing the weakness of the O-Line.

And yes, Tyler is playing well, but that in no way minimizes the need to draft QB.

And I, for the life of me, can't figure out how you myopians can watch Stafford for more than a couple of games and not come away dreaming of him in Chiefs uniform.

A) His form is shit.
b) His passing technique/"warble ball" looks like shit.
c) He plays with no urgency.

smittysbar
11-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I just can't help but think Thigy will come crashing down. I say this due to interviews with players. Hell TG said he was even surprised how good Tyler played. These are the guys that practice with him, if he is the shit, they shouldn't be so surprised.

I am liking Stafford more and more, I personally think this team still might have #1 overall pick. Detroit about pulled out a win against Chicago. Teams now have two weeks of film to game plan against us.

Regardless we need a QB in the draft.

Brock
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Forget Stafford, it isn't going to happen.

smittysbar
11-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Forget Stafford, it isn't going to happen.

I think it could happen. I won't put anything past a Herm Edwards coached team.....

Chief Faithful
11-05-2008, 09:32 AM

And ya' wanna' know why?

I am one of those that still crys for the need for QB even as I am pleased with Tylers development. You can also see in my posts that I believed it better to play Tyler than Huard, but I still don't believe Tyler is an answer to anything more than backup. IMO QB is still the single biggest position of need.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I just can't help but think Thigy will come crashing down. I say this due to interviews with players. Hell TG said he was even surprised how good Tyler played. These are the guys that practice with him, if he is the shit, they shouldn't be so surprised.

I am liking Stafford more and more, I personally think this team still might have #1 overall pick. Detroit about pulled out a win against Chicago. Teams now have two weeks of film to game plan against us.

Regardless we need a QB in the draft.

We do need another QB for the roster nonetheless. When Croyle and Huard go back to the farm, that is.( Yes; I DID in fact say Damon Huard; dealwithit. )
I wanna' see Grey play. I wanna' see what, if anything, he can do.

But if we pass on a high-round QB in favor of shoring up the defense, we will be much better served. Besides; most of the real talent out there will be going back to school after this season.

And just so we're clear, let's harbor NO dillusions:
Daniel. McCoy, Bradford, and whoeverthefuck from Squak-Beak University over on the Kansass side,
DO NOT BELONG IN THE NFL, AND HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS.
NO MORE TOOTHPICKS, SHORT OR TALL, WITH "GREAT ARMS"; BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

Court Adjourned!

milkman
11-05-2008, 09:40 AM
A) His form is shit.

Except when he actually has time to stand in the pocket and step into his throws, which isn't all that often behind his crappy O-Line.

b) His passing technique/"warble ball" looks like shit.

Are you kidding?
The guy has a rocket, even when pressured.

c) He plays with no urgency.

Give me a QB that remains calm in the face of adversity any Sunday.

milkman
11-05-2008, 09:41 AM
We do need another QB for the roster nonetheless. When Croyle and Huard go back to the farm, that is.( Yes; I DID in fact say Damon Huard; dealwithit. )
I wanna' see Grey play. I wanna' see what, if anything, he can do.

But if we pass on a high-round QB in favor of shoring up the defense, we will be much better served. Besides; most of the real talent out there will be going back to school after this season.

And just so we're clear, let's harbor NO dillusions:
Daniel. McCoy, Bradford, and whoeverthe**** from Squak-Beak University over on the Kansass side,
DO NOT BELONG IN THE NFL, AND HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS.
NO MORE TOOTHPICKS, SHORT OR TALL, WITH "GREAT ARMS"; BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

Court Adjourned!

This tells me everything I need to know.

None of those "toothpicks" you just named have great arms.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Except when he actually has time to stand in the pocket and step into his throws, which isn't all that often behind his crappy O-Line.

Are you kidding?
The guy has a rocket, even when pressured.

Give me a QB that remains calm in the face of adversity any Sunday.

I forgot the other one: His numbers are shit. Barely scrapes past 50% on a great number of his stats.

Give me Harrell or even Sanchez before Mr. Texas Elway Look-a-like dons the Red Gold.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 09:48 AM
This tells me everything I need to know.

None of those "toothpicks" you just named have great arms.

Do you take your crack with breakfast, or do you just keep puffing slowly on the pipe all day?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Note to self: "Pray to God daily that 'Milkman' is never hired to replace Chuck Cook". End of note.

milkman
11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
I forgot the other one: His numbers are shit. Barely scrapes past 50% on a great number of his stats.

Give me Harrell or even Sanchez before Mr. Texas Elway Look-a-like dons the Red Gold.

What?

He's hitting on nearly 61% of his passes this season, even with receivers dropping passes that are hitting them right in the hands.

milkman
11-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Do you take your crack with breakfast, or do you just keep puffing slowly on the pipe all day?

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Note to self: "Pray to God daily that 'Milkman' is never hired to replace Chuck Cook". End of note.

There were questions about Matt Ryan's arm strength going onto the last draft, and he has a better arm than any of those guys.

All of those guys would be comapred more favorably to Trent Green and Drew Brees than to John Elway or Brett Favre in terms of arm strength.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 10:02 AM
What?

He's hitting on nearly 61% of his passes this season, even with receivers dropping passes that are hitting them right in the hands.

Hey, I'm only telling you what ESPN is telling me.

milkman
11-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey, I'm only telling you what ESPN is telling me.

There's your problem right there.

ESPN sucks ass.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
There's your problem right there.

ESPN sucks ass.

So ESPN's Stat Charts, which are not done in-house, but are done by an independent firm, are ALL shit. Got it.:rolleyes:

Brock
11-05-2008, 10:13 AM
So ESPN's Stat Charts, which are not done in-house, but are done by an independent firm, are ALL shit. Got it.:rolleyes:

Post the stats.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Post the stats.

Go to ESPN, and do your OWN homework.

Brock
11-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Go to ESPN, and do your OWN homework.

In other words, you're not going to back up the bullshit you're spewing. That's about what I figured.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 10:21 AM
In other words, you're not going to back up the bullshit you're spewing. That's about what I figured.

I'm not gonna' play errand boy for you. If it means that much to you, then GO AND GET IT.

And don't even THINK of pulling my card; you do NOT have the player-hater skills I possess; not by a long shot.

ChiefsCountry
11-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Wow we got a new dumbass on the Planet.

Brock
11-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm not gonna' play errand boy for you. If it means that much to you, then GO AND GET IT.

And don't even THINK of pulling my card; you do NOT have the player-hater skills I possess; not by a long shot.

Save it. Around here, when you make claims, you're expected to back it up with fact. You obviously can't do it.

milkman
11-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Just for shits and giggles, here's Stafford's stats.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=68896

As you can see, he's improved steadily.

He's just reaching the tip of his potential.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Save it. Around here, when you make claims, you're expected to back it up with fact. You obviously can't do it.

I can't post the link.

Since Florida,he's slightly over 60 as you said, but it means nothing to me; I don't want him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Wow we got a new dumbass on the Planet.

Wow. You're impressive. Not.

Brock
I can't post the link.

Since Florida,he's slightly over 60 as you said, but it means nothing to me; I don't want him.

Noted as unimportant.

Iowanian
11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
It doesn't really matter anyway, He's going to be drafted by Detroit with the #1 pick.

Someone has to throw the ball to Calvin Johnson.

ChiefsCountry
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Wow. You're impressive. Not.

Post some facts behind your argument dipshit and you might get taken seriousally around here.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Post some facts behind your argument dipshit and you might get taken seriousally around here.

Keep it up.

Brock
11-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Keep it up.

Keep what up? Observing your dumbass behavior and commenting on it truthfully?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Keep it up.

I'm new here, so I'm not gonna' blow it by going off at this stage in the game.
But mark my words, the day WILL come when I

beach tribe
11-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Keep it up.

Are you really threatening someone on a BB:rolleyes:

What are you gonna do tough guy? besides act like a total douche.

Brock
11-05-2008, 11:35 AM

ROFL You're extremely frightening.

milkman
11-05-2008, 11:35 AM

Just do it.

No one holds back here, and there's nothing better than a rant from a poster on the wrong side of an argument.

Especially a noob.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Keep it up.

But mark my words, you keep coming at me like that,you will NOT enjoy the day when I put your verbal bullshit on the ash heap for everyone to see.
You have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Idea.

In the meantime, off to the user CP to add my first 'Ignore' at the planet.

Brock
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
But mark my words, you keep coming at me like that,you will NOT enjoy the day when I put your verbal bullshit on the ash heap for everyone to see.

Ignore is for pussies. You are a pussy.

beach tribe
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Bitch.

smittysbar
11-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Midnight douche has a wing man?

milkman
11-05-2008, 11:43 AM

24 posts in, and you're already using teh ignore feature.

The planet may not be the place for you.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 11:45 AM
No, Ignore is for people who don't want to waste all day going back and forth with some asshole about NOTHING.

Now why don't you two run along to Fire Island, and keep perfecting your man-love reach-a-round while I pursue the topic of Football.
Cocksuckers.

Brock
11-05-2008, 11:47 AM
That's some harsh smack. ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
That's some harsh smack. ROFL

Truce? Agree to disagree?:toast:

ChiefsCountry
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
You want to talk football but you wont back your argument up with stats? Funny thing is you are trying to pick a fight with a few of the only posters who will actually talk football on here.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 12:05 PM
You want to talk football but you wont back your argument up with stats? Funny thing is you are trying to pick a fight with a few of the only posters who will actually talk football on here.

I was, eventually, more than happy to post the stats. I tried, but I can't post links at this time.

I'll back my football with facts when the situation warrants it.

And I'm sorry for getting off on the wrong foot you.

Stryker
11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Stafford will not be a Chief he will be gone by the time the Chiefs pick. The Chiefs will probably draft 3rd or higher so the point is moot - STAFFORD WILL BE GONE!

Stafford has POTENTIAL to be a good QB at the NFL level.

dj56dt58
11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=192425

Check out that thread there's a ton of vids to start it...

Matt Ryan threw 18 INT's his senior season at BC.....it's not just about stats.

we need to cut Thigpen now..he hasn't thrown a pick the last 2 games

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM

ROFL

Let's keep that good Carl/Herm mojo flowing; success is SOOOO overrated!

duncan_idaho
11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Stafford will not be a Chief he will be gone by the time the Chiefs pick. The Chiefs will probably draft 3rd or higher so the point is moot - STAFFORD WILL BE GONE!

Stafford has POTENTIAL to be a good QB at the NFL level.

Five years from now, we will be glad it happened that way.

Just like the Raiders are wishing someone had been in front of them to snap up JaMarcus Russell. Another big-armed SEC QB who has impressive physical skills but didn't back them up with "good" production until year three, who also struggled with accuracy and consistency and who also relied too much on his arm strength.

Stafford does have huge potential. But he also is a large risk to be a bust. Minimizing risk is an important part of rebuilding with top 5 draft picks. There are two tackles most scouts think are multiple-year Pro Bowlers, who grade out as top five picks in Oher and Jones.

I want the Chiefs to take a QB, too. I want them to find and develop a franchise quarterback. I really am not sure Stafford is that guy - and I'm not convinced by video of Stafford shredding an overrated LSU defense, or a crappy Arizona State defense, or one decent half against Alabama, when the game was over and the Tide was playing much less aggressively.

The smart play here, IMO, is one of the tackles. Having Albert on one end and Oher/Jones on the other sounds pretty good to me. Then you go after your QB either in round 2 this year (Sanchez? Harrell?) or round one next year.

Mecca
11-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Just like the Raiders are wishing someone had been in front of them to snap up JaMarcus Russell. Another big-armed SEC QB who has impressive physical skills but didn't back them up with "good" production until year three, who also struggled with accuracy and consistency and who also relied too much on his arm strength.

Stafford does have huge potential. But he also is a large risk to be a bust. Minimizing risk is an important part of rebuilding with top 5 draft picks. There are two tackles most scouts think are multiple-year Pro Bowlers, who grade out as top five picks in Oher and Jones.

I want the Chiefs to take a QB, too. I want them to find and develop a franchise quarterback. I really am not sure Stafford is that guy - and I'm not convinced by video of Stafford shredding an overrated LSU defense, or a crappy Arizona State defense, or one decent half against Alabama, when the game was over and the Tide was playing much less aggressively.

The smart play here, IMO, is one of the tackles. Having Albert on one end and Oher/Jones on the other sounds pretty good to me. Then you go after your QB either in round 2 this year (Sanchez? Harrell?) or round one next year.

You really make me wanna back hand you and say "wake up fool"

Mecca
11-05-2008, 02:02 PM

You and this other dumbass.

If you are really evaluating a player on his stat line, you need to leave because that is not how it's done.

Tim Tebow has great stats want him? It doesn't fucking work that way you bunch of dipshits.

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM

You don't spend first round picks on a LT, then give up on him and move him after one year.

So you can forget about Oher and who? (Smith).

Second, if you have the chance to draft a franchise QB, you draft him.
Playing it safe is why the Chiefs have been mediocre or worse for so many years.
And your assessment of Stafford is, simply stated, wrong.

Mecca
11-05-2008, 02:05 PM
You don't spend first round picks on a LT, then give up on him and move him after one year.

Playing it safe is why the Chiefs have been mediocre or worse for so many years.

What is with this myopic view around here that we need to take a offensive lineman in the 1st round every year?

duncan_idaho
11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
You really make me wanna back hand you and say "wake up fool"

The feeling is mutual most of the time.

You love Stafford. I hate him.

That's the way it's going to be, and neither of us are going to budge. I'm fine with it if you are...

beach tribe
11-05-2008, 02:09 PM
What is with this myopic view around here that we need to take a offensive lineman in the 1st round every year?

Myabe not in the first, but we need some TALENTED lineman. They make evey player on your offense better, and more valuable. And for christ's sake forgat about Stafford. We will never get him, but if we get the chance, we should definitely take him........which we won't.

The Franchise
11-05-2008, 02:09 PM

Because when people are used to having one of the best o-lines in football.....they try and get back to that as soon as they possibly can. I've never seen so many mock drafts that people think we need to take 2 guards, a tackle and a center in the 2009 draft. FFS people....we have a TON of holes to fill.

Mecca
11-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Myabe not in the first, but we need some TALENTED lineman. They make evey player on your offense better, and more valuable. And for christ's sake forgat about Stafford. We will never get him, but if we get the chance, we should definitely take him........which we won't.

That's fine but most of the best lines in football were built with 1 or even no first round OL picks.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 02:15 PM

AAAAAAAAAAA-MEN.

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
AAAAAAAAAAA-MEN.

This from the guy who thinks Bradford and McCoy have strong arms.

evolve27
The feeling is mutual most of the time.

You love Stafford. I hate him.

That's the way it's going to be, and neither of us are going to budge. I'm fine with it if you are...

Bradford is our only answer with Thigpen backing him up later on.

beach tribe
That's fine but most of the best lines in football were built with 1 or even no first round OL picks.

We got our 1st rnd LT, that's cool, but I am a big believer in the O-line being more important than any skill player, save the QB. They make average RB's into pro-bowlers, and pro-bowl RBs into gods. They turn Eddie kennison into a two time 1000 yrd receiver, and they make any QB better. Fact. And we need some badly. Rnd 2 or 3 needs to land us a good O-lineman.
Do you know if there will be any good O-line in FA this year?

duncan_idaho
11-05-2008, 02:17 PM

I'll stand by my assessment of Stafford. Which is based on me watching him repeatedly all three years he has been at Georgia. And on first-hand evals from a guy I trust in the sports reporting biz down there.

That's the nice thing about personal assessments. Everyone is free to make them. I'm just sick of people putting their fingers over their eyes and ignoring Stafford's warts. He has some big ones. All anybody wants to talk about is his size and arm strength, it seems like.

And yeah, Andre Smith is the guy I'm talking about. Don't know why I was saying Jones. Smith definitely has the size to play RT (his height makes him a less than ideal LT) and he definitely has the power and the run-blocking mentality to excel over there.

I wouldn't propose moving Albert to RT. He's not thick enough and he isn't physical enough.

Mecca
11-05-2008, 02:23 PM
We got our 1st rnd LT, that's cool, but I am a big believer in the O-line being more important than any skill player, save the QB. They make average RB's into pro-bowlers, and pro-bowl RBs into gods. They turn Eddie kennison into a two time 1000 yrd receiver, and they make any QB better. Fact. And we need some badly. Rnd 2 or 3 needs to land us a good O-lineman.

You know what's more important...you can coach an Olineman up to be good there are numerous lowly drafted OL that become good players...

You know what isn't....pass rushers...outside of QB that is the most important thing a team can have.

Mecca
11-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I'll stand by my assessment of Stafford. Which is based on me watching him repeatedly all three years he has been at Georgia. And on first-hand evals from a guy I trust in the sports reporting biz down there.

That's the nice thing about personal assessments. Everyone is free to make them. I'm just sick of people putting their fingers over their eyes and ignoring Stafford's warts. He has some big ones. All anybody wants to talk about is his size and arm strength, it seems like.

And yeah, Andre Smith is the guy I'm talking about. Don't know why I was saying Jones. Smith definitely has the size to play RT (his height makes him a less than ideal LT) and he definitely has the power and the run-blocking mentality to excel over there.

I wouldn't propose moving Albert to RT. He's not thick enough and he isn't physical enough.

Taking a guy to play RT with a top 5 pick makes you a DIPSHIT, do you not understand positional value at all?

Brock
11-05-2008, 02:26 PM
It's either QB or DE. Although you could make the case for LT/move Albert back inside.

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Every QB coming out has warts.

Hell people questioned Peyton Manning's arm strength.

The question you have to ask is if the warts are real problems or are things that can be fixed, and for Stafford, his problem lies in the fact that he has the same issue that all young strong armed QBs have.

He tries to make plays when there aren't any there when under pressure, and he sometimes throws off his back foot.

As for Smith at RT, you don't draft RT with a top 5 pick.
That's poor positional value.

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
It's either QB or DE. Although you could make the case for LT/move Albert back inside.

You could make that case in a couple of years if Albert doesn't work out, and signs, so far, seem to indicate that how he'll work out.

But you can't draft a LT in the first round and move him in his second year.

It's just not practical.

beach tribe
11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
You know what's more important...you can coach an Olineman up to be good there are numerous lowly drafted OL that become good players...

You know what isn't....pass rushers...outside of QB that is the most important thing a team can have.

I can agree with that, as I believe that the lineman making the rest of the guys better works for both sides of the ball. I think we should get a pass rusher in the 1st to tell you the truth. Unless our boy is there.

BUT as far as the lowly draft picks becoming good players, I guess you can take that "development" gamble if you actually have some linemen to begin with, but as you know, we don't, and it hurts our entire football team. We can't run the ball, and control the clock, and keep the D off the field, we can't protect the QB. We need another big powerful guard. We have developmental guys on the team now, that may be ready to take over for Waters one day, but we need a day one starter.

Brock
11-05-2008, 02:32 PM
You could make that case in a couple of years if Albert doesn't work out, and signs, so far, seem to indicate that how he'll work out.

But you can't draft a LT in the first round and move him in his second year.

It's just not practical.

It is practical if the prospect is a big upgrade. Just sayin that if you're stuck in that position, it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

evolve27
11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Oher and Smith have the best value at pick 3. You can't reach for a QB or DE at that position, unless and only unless it's Bradford(don't laugh Bradford haters). Smith with a +3 value would be good. Move Albert interiorly.

Mecca
11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Oher and Smith have the best value at pick 3. You can't reach for a QB or DE at that position, unless and only unless it's Bradford(don't laugh Bradford haters). Smith with a +3 value would be good. Move Albert interiorly.

Sam Bradford=Chad Pennington.

duncan_idaho
11-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Every QB coming out has warts.

Hell people questioned Peyton Manning's arm strength.

The question you have to ask is if the warts are real problems or are things that can be fixed, and for Stafford, his problem lies in the fact that he has the same issue that all young strong armed QBs have.

He tries to make plays when there aren't any there when under pressure, and he sometimes throws off his back foot.

As for Smith at RT, you don't draft RT with a top 5 pick.
That's poor positional value.

You forgot to mention his inconsistent accuracy (he has missed a lot of standard throws with good protection over the course of his career), his lack of touch and his lack of production (even over the second half of last season, with a great running game and strong OL. Why wasn't he killing teams on play-action? Why did he miss so many open and easy intermediate and short throws?)

I hear the positional value statement. But it's not as though ALL Smith can play is RT. When it's a stud who is graded our nearly perfectly by every scouting service, a stud who also has the ability to play other positions (like I said, less than ideal height to play LT, but almost everyone agrees he could play there), I worry less about positional value.

As for when to draft tackles... you can make a tackle look better by playing a line-friendly system, but it is much harder to find and develop elite guys than at guard or center.

Guards and center, obviously, don't require the same ultra-rare package every great tackle possesses (height, arm length, quickness, elite athleticism for size). So it is easier to mold a guy into a great G or C.

I don't see too many multiple Pro Bowl/Hall of Fame tackles that were free agent additions...

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:40 PM
It is practical if the prospect is a big upgrade. Just sayin that if you're stuck in that position, it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

The thing is, at this point you can't call it a big upgrade.

We've (almost) all seen his potential and are pleased with his progress, in only 6 games and limited practice at the position, and he looks to be improving with each game, especially now that Gaily is allowed to be more creative in the playcalling.

evolve27
11-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Jokelahoma is no Marshall but that's your opinion. Pennington is not as accurate and didn't show this much potential in college. Bradford isn't a Rhode's scholar finalist. So no, they are entirely different.

Mecca
11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
I really wish some of you guys would dig on more than just Big 12 and OT prospects.

evolve27
11-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I really wish some of you guys would dig on more than just Big 12 and OT prospects.

Do you suggest Brian Orakpo or Michael Jenkins? PAC-10?

Brock
11-05-2008, 02:44 PM

Nah.

beach tribe
11-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Do you suggest Brian Orakpo or Michael Jenkins?

That's my choice at 4. Orakpo that is.

Brock
11-05-2008, 02:45 PM

Uh, so cornerback?

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Nah.

He compares more favorably to Trent Green.

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
That's my choice at 4. Orakpo that is.

I'd take Orakpo at the 2-5 range.

beach tribe
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
He compares more favorably to Trent Green.

Does that mean we should draft him in the 8th round?

Oh that's right......

okcchief
11-05-2008, 02:50 PM

I by no means think Bradford is a sure fire NFL prospect. I don't understand your Pennington comparison at all though. They are really nothing alike.

Mecca
11-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I by no means think Bradford is a sure fire NFL prospect. I don't understand your Pennington comparison at all though. They are really nothing alike.

It's not meant to be serious I just like to compare him to another guy with a rag tag arm.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 02:53 PM
This from the guy who thinks Bradford and McCoy have strong arms.

I believe my comment was "great arms", which the analysis people use to sell guys like Bradford and McCoy, to make up for their beanpole physiques.

Nonetheless, the point of the post was that the Chiefs do not need another "Brittle Croyle" behind the line of scrimmage. And those guys would get killed in the NFL.

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Does that mean we should draft him in the 8th round?

Oh that's right......

I wouldn't take Bradford in the top 5, and if drafted, I'd sit him on the bench for a couple of years while he learns, and while the rest of the pieces are put into place, including a system that fits his skill set.

The system that Gailey is running now would fit nicely when Bradford is ready.

duncan_idaho
11-05-2008, 02:55 PM

You assume everyone hasn't.

I've spent time looking at (looking for arm strength, accuracy, footwork, performance under pressure, athletic ability) these guys:

Stafford (more than anyone, including Sam Bradford. The only guy whose career I've seen a higher percentage of is Chase Daniel)

Curtis Painter (nice arm, not sure the head is there. Footwork/accuracy inconsistent. Had disappointed me this year)

Hunter Caldwell (Has been up and down this year, looks pretty solid when working with an established run game and given time to throw)

Josh Freeman (Huge arm. Terrible QB coaching to this point, terrible OL around him. Might actually work himself into a good NFL QB in 2-4 years if he works hard and receives good coaching)

Mark Sanchez (Arm is adequate for the NFL. Inconsistent, footwork isn't always there and causes inaccuracy when it isn't. Doesn't always make good decisions, showing his inexperience as a starter. Wonder if the early knee injury is affecting his footwork? Seems to be a good leader, too)

Graham Harrell (Arm is adequate for NFL. More physically talented than any of the other TTU QBs. Smart, savvy, cool under pressure. Is a little thin and would need to add weight to stand up to NFL beatings.)

Nate Davis (probably my favorite guy outside of Bradford. Not sure he's really 6-2, could cause him to slip. BIG arm, and good accuracy despite being somewhat raw and inconsistent mechanically. Good athlete who can scramble - and scrambles to throw, not run).

Oh, and I've seen a lot of Chase Daniel, who will knock around the pro game for a few years, maybe holding a clipboard for a little while, but eventually pulling a Major Applewhite and returning to college as a coach...

milkman
11-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I believe my comment was "great arms", which the analysis people use to sell guys like Bradford and McCoy, to make up for their beanpole physiques.

Nonetheless, the point of the post was that the Chiefs do not need another "Brittle Croyle" behind the line of scrimmage. And those guys would get killed in the NFL.

I've never seen anyone claim they had strong arms.

Brock
11-05-2008, 02:57 PM
It's not meant to be serious I just like to compare him to another guy with a rag tag arm.

I really can't wait until the combine when you're proven wrong on this.

Goapics1
11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Danny Weurful(sp).

Gino Torreta

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
I've never seen anyone claim they had strong arms.

Very well, let's just take the arms out of the equation. They might be tall enough, great at reading, great at making on the fly adjustments, running the no huddle, or any other plethora of skills a great QB should have.

BUT!

They just aren't built to take the hits that a D Thomas / N Smith could deliver on a regular basis.

( Ahh..let's say that one more time; Derrick Thomas / Neil Smith...(sigh)..Oh sweet pass-rush, when will you return? )

Guys like that are great for high school and college( and VERY effective in college if they have a great line/protection ), but not so much at the Pro Level.
But just like anything else in life, I'm sure there are exceptions.

okcchief
11-05-2008, 03:59 PM

I don't know that he has a rag tag arm. He definately needs to develop a lot to play at the NFL level. He won't be able to be thrown in to the fire as soon as a Sanchez or Stafford. If he develops he could be as good as them in the long haul. I don't think he should come out this year. He definately needs another year of college experience.

At this point Stafford is about the only QB I see as a sure fire first round pick. I doubt we will be in position to take him so I hope we find a gem in the later rounds.

Horizons01
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
You forgot to mention his inconsistent accuracy (he has missed a lot of standard throws with good protection over the course of his career), his lack of touch and his lack of production (even over the second half of last season, with a great running game and strong OL. Why wasn't he killing teams on play-action? Why did he miss so many open and easy intermediate and short throws?)

Having read that paragraph, as a UGA fan, I question your claim to have watch many Georgia games. Stafford was thrown into the SEC fire, on the road at that, as a true freshman. He didn't have the benefit of taking any snaps with the first team, and was playing behind a injured offensive line with only one backup for the whole line. In addition to that, both Massaquoi and Milner (TE) were benched throughout the year for dropping passes. Even Gator fans would tell you that since that particular fanbase was the beneficiaries of said drops on their way to a national title back in 2006. Massaquoi, our leading WR, had a whopping total 2 TDs that year. As for the RBs, we started out with three and by the Auburn game we were down to a fullback and a walk-on.

His sophomore year, Stafford played behind an offensive line that consisted of three freshmen and two seniors. Both seniors, whose natural position was guard, were playing center and tackle because of the lack of depth on the o-line. Moreno didn't start until half way through the season, and our other RB, Thomas Brown, broke his collarbone early in the season. Massaquoi was again out leading WRs with only 4 TDs, and our new TE, Tripp Chandler, was benched due to drops. Do you see a pattern here?

Y'all probably know that this year his offensive line consist of two sophomores, one redshirt freshman and two true freshmen. Stafford's best WR is a true freshman who's still learning the offense. We're down to our fourth left tackle and our starting fullback, a big part of our offense, has been injured. Moreno continually takes himself out of the game, and there's considerable drop-off after him. And as y'all saw this past Saturday, the drops continue. Those are a chronic problem now I'm afraid.

As for the short and intermediate throws, Georgia is a run-based, pro-style offense. The Dawgs run, run and then throw on 3rd and long. Stafford is asked to make difficult throws that very few, if any, other QBs in college are asked to throw. He's not asked to make five-yards throws to wide open WRs like most noodle-arm QBs with video game numbers around the country are. He makes his own audibles and doesn't have to look to the sideline to make a decision. He has more responsabilities at the line of scrimmage than any other QB in the country. If you actually watch one of Georgia's game you would see that.

Rant over.

duncan_idaho
11-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Having read that paragraph, as a UGA fan, I question your claim to have watch many Georgia games. Stafford was thrown into the SEC fire, on the road at that, as a true freshman. He didn't have the benefit of taking any snaps with the first team, and was playing behind a injured offensive line with only one backup for the whole line. In addition to that, both Massaquoi and Milner (TE) were benched throughout the year for dropping passes. Even Gator fans would tell you that since that particular fanbase was the beneficiaries of said drops on their way to a national title back in 2006. Massaquoi, our leading WR, had a whopping total 2 TDs that year. As for the RBs, we started out with three and by the Auburn game we were down to a fullback and a walk-on.

His sophomore year, Stafford played behind an offensive line that consisted of three freshmen and two seniors. Both seniors, whose natural position was guard, were playing center and tackle because of the lack of depth on the o-line. Moreno didn't start until half way through the season, and our other RB, Thomas Brown, broke his collarbone early in the season. Massaquoi was again out leading WRs with only 4 TDs, and our new TE, Tripp Chandler, was benched due to drops. Do you see a pattern here?

Y'all probably know that this year his offensive line consist of two sophomores, one redshirt freshman and two true freshmen. Stafford's best WR is a true freshman who's still learning the offense. We're down to our fourth left tackle and our starting fullback, a big part of our offense, has been injured. Moreno continually takes himself out of the game, and there's considerable drop-off after him. And as y'all saw this past Saturday, the drops continue. Those are a chronic problem now I'm afraid.

As for the short and intermediate throws, Georgia is a run-based, pro-style offense. The Dawgs run, run and then throw on 3rd and long. Stafford is asked to make difficult throws that very few, if any, other QBs in college are asked to throw. He's not asked to make five-yards throws to wide open WRs like most noodle-arm QBs with video game numbers around the country are. He makes his own audibles and doesn't have to look to the sideline to make a decision. He has more responsabilities at the line of scrimmage than any other QB in the country. If you actually watch one of Georgia's game you would see that.

Rant over.

I will give Stafford the benefit of the doubt for his freshmen year. He was thrown into a tough situation and responded as you would expect a freshman to respond. There's no criticism I can offer that really wouldn't be common for a first-time, true freshman starter.

And I'll give him credit for knowing his offense and making checks at the line. (Though that alone is not a skill that guarantees success in the NFL.)

And yes, the OL was not playing well at the beginning of last season. But once Moreno got going, the OL had come together and started executing at a high level (as we kept hearing on all the sports networks, when talking about why Georgia was so 'hot' at the end of the season).

By the second half of the season, Georgia and Stafford should have been killing teams with play-action. They didn't. I saw him miss a lot of easy throws over the middle (high, low, behind, too far in front, etc) after play-action. His touch still was severely lacking (there's a pattern for you, too).

As for the drops... Stafford has to take part of the blame there, too, for displaying little touch and putting too much heat on many passes. Part of being a QB is knowing when to throw your fastball and knowing when you can take a little steam off of it to make your ball more easy to catch.

As for this year... yeah, the OL play has been worse. His touch is only slightly better, and I still have seen a lot of throws off the mark (low, high, behind receivers, etc).

Stafford is a good college QB with great potential. I won't argue that. I will argue until draft day, however, that there are a lot of warning signs that point to Stafford possibly being the the strong-armed QB to be sent to the bust pile to join Kyle Boller, Ryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, etc, etc.

And that's why I wouldn't spend a top 3 pick on him and hope the Chiefs don't, either.

chiefs1okie
11-05-2008, 05:41 PM
FWIW No need to continue drawing the Bradford vs. _______ debates on the upcoming draft. He is staying at O.U. next year.

Tribal Warfare
11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
FWIW No need to continue drawing the Bradford vs. _______ debates on the upcoming draft. He is staying at O.U. next year.

has he stated it, and if so link?

Horizons01
11-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Killing teams with play-action? As I said, UGA is a run-first team. Why would you throw when the run is going well? Georgia throws when they have too, which many times is on third and long. Teams know when we're going to throw. Play action is not going to fool many when you're in third and long. And even then Stafford has a completion percentage of over 60%.

Displaying little touch? None of his WRs or TEs have ever complained of lack of touch. In fact, all of them always point out that Stafford puts touch on his throws. Coach Richt and Coach Eason (WR's coach) always stress the fact that if any of the WRs want to play in the NFL that they need to learn to catch Stafford's throws. His high school WR's, who by the way were 5'6" 155 lbs, never complained about lack of touch. They caught everything he threw at them to the tune of 4,000+ yards and 38 TDs his senior season. You would think that the SEC physical specimens that we have at WR would catch better than some HS lacrosse players.

Stafford still has a lot to improve on. Mainly not trying to force the ball into tight spaces when we're down by 30+ points and trusting his O-line, young as they are, a bit more (understandable since he's getting hit on nearly every play). But touch has not been a problem as many non-UGA fans tend to believe.

duncan_idaho
11-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Killing teams with play-action? As I said, UGA is a run-first team. Why would you throw when the run is going well? Georgia throws when they have too, which many times is on third and long. Teams know when we're going to throw. Play action is not going to fool many when you're in third and long. And even then Stafford has a completion percentage of over 60%.

Displaying little touch? None of his WRs or TEs have ever complained of lack of touch. In fact, all of them always point out that Stafford puts touch on his throws. Coach Richt and Coach Eason (WR's coach) always stress the fact that if any of the WRs want to play in the NFL that they need to learn to catch Stafford's throws. His high school WR's, who by the way were 5'6" 155 lbs, never complained about lack of touch. They caught everything he threw at them to the tune of 4,000+ yards and 38 TDs his senior season. You would think that the SEC physical specimens that we have at WR would catch better than some HS lacrosse players.

Stafford still has a lot to improve on. Mainly not trying to force the ball into tight spaces when we're down by 30+ points and trusting his O-line, young as they are, a bit more (understandable since he's getting hit on nearly every play). But touch has not been a problem as many non-UGA fans tend to believe.

This is what I'm saying... WHEN Georgia has run play-action, Stafford has not been as successful as I would expect someone to be in a run-heavy offense anchored by an elite running back. Especially in the second half of last season, when the running game was clicking and the OL was playing well, Stafford missed a lot of throws off of play-action.

I have have seen, numerous times, Stafford drop back off a play-action pass, have good protection, time to survey and make his throw and flat-out MISS it.

His accuracy is not impressive... even if situations when he has every advantage to throw the football.

Valiant
11-05-2008, 07:34 PM

Agree with this.. But we also need coaching that will allow a QB to excel all the time..

Horizons01
11-05-2008, 09:07 PM
This is what I'm saying... WHEN Georgia has run play-action, Stafford has not been as successful as I would expect someone to be in a run-heavy offense anchored by an elite running back. Especially in the second half of last season, when the running game was clicking and the OL was playing well, Stafford missed a lot of throws off of play-action.

I have have seen, numerous times, Stafford drop back off a play-action pass, have good protection, time to survey and make his throw and flat-out MISS it.

His accuracy is not impressive... even if situations when he has every advantage to throw the football.

"Numerous" and "good protection" have rarely gone together for the last few years at UGA. I was going to explain why until I saw your sig, and I realized I would be wasting my time. I know now that it's the person that you dislike and not really the player. Even though you would most like deny it. A knowledgeable fan would recognize the things a talented player brings to the table to help a team, but a hater blinds his or her self to that. I'm done with this discussion.

milkman
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
"Numerous" and "good protection" have rarely gone together for the last few years at UGA. I was going to explain why until I saw your sig, and I realized I would be wasting my time. I know now that it's the person that you dislike and not really the player. Even though you would most like deny it. A knowledgeable fan would recognize the things a talented player brings to the table to help a team, but a hater blinds his or her self to that. I'm done with this discussion.

Just wonderin'.

Are you a Chief fan, or a Bulldog fan who thinks there's a chance that Stafford will land in KC?

duncan_idaho
11-05-2008, 10:46 PM

Get the sand out.

Georgia's OL made a big leap in play in the second half of last season. Around that time, the running game emerged and Stafford's protection improved immensely. He had pretty good protection in the second half of the year. The line hasn't been as good this season, but Stafford has received plenty of chances to survey, set his feet and step into a throw this season. His accuracy has been slightly better this year, but he still has inexplicably missed more throws from a good pocket than I would like to see in a guy my team takes that high and invests that much money in.

I have no issue with Mattew Stafford as a person. I do think it's funny that he passed out, after apparently doing several strenuous keg lifts, while spooning his backup. If I am a Stafford "hater" it is because I feel he is too much of a bust risk for my team to draft in the top five.

Georgia fans make more excuses for Stafford than just about any fan base I've seen. He's a big kid with a strong arm who seems to have a pretty good grasp of the game (note that I have repeatedly recognized these skills, which aren't in doubt. Stop acting like I said the guy was a talentless chump) . He has some flaws that extend beyond UGA's "conservative offense" and "terrible OL" and "drops by the WRs."

By the way, anybody else watch the Ball State game this evening? Nate Davis looked pretty good.

Granted, Davis is playing in the MAC, but his arm strength is impressive (he will challenge Stafford for strongest arm in the draft if both come out) and he is more accurate than his mechanics suggest he should be. Pretty good athlete and improvises well, too. Still not sure the guy is a legit 6-2... but if he is, he could make a big move on draft day. I doubt he ends up being a first-round guy, but he could make some team pretty happy with the value it receives from a second- or third-round pick...

evolve27
11-05-2008, 10:53 PM

Bradford is the real deal Holyfield. I'll take Stafford I suppose if we come out of top 10.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
A few weeks ago, and prior to the "Great Switching On Of The Light-Bulb In Thigpen's Head Of Aught-Eight Phenomenon", Stafford's stock was riding pretty high over at the other discussion board I frequent.
The reason and rationale for this was "He's playing behind a less than stellar O-Line, and he's winning games". A valid argument considering the state of the Chiefs O-Line.
And then New York and Tampa Bay happened. Losses to be sure, but all of a sudden the Chiefs Offense was not only firing, but the pace had changed as well; it was faster. It was urgent and it was moving with a purpose.

The contrast between Huard/LJ/Gailey, and Thigpen/Charles/Gailey was so stark, they might as well have been different teams altogether.
Now prior to Tampa Bay, during a week where everybody and their Grandma was putting their two cents in, and trying to figure out "Where The Fuck Did THIS Come From", I once again began advocating/campaigning for a return to a Two-Back Set( which obviously has not happened, and I've got a short list of reasons for why I believe it would be a winner but I won't go in to it now ).

Knowing we were gearing up for Tampa and their better than average D, and that Tyler and Jamaal were the men in charge, I suggested it was HIGH TIME to throw the Herm/Chan Theme Song Playbook* out the window, and for Gailey to grow a set, tell Herm to mind HIS business on the sideline, and get to work on something that would fit the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of our two starters.
In short; mix it up and get creative. Make the line less of a crutch, and incorporate some subterfuge, craftiness, and misdirection.
And what happened?

"Wildcat at table two please".

So now I, and probably at least HALF of the fan-base, are pretty fired-up about this 180-degree approach and are in NO hurry( or desire for that matter )to return to the old 'Hop-a-long / Drag-n-Ass' Offense that preceeded it!
ROFL

SO WHAT I'M GETTING AT( sometimes you gotta' go around the coast instead of through the Panama Canal to get the point across ),
IS THAT though Tyler might not be the long-term answer, I would prefer to pick up a Quarterback in his style, but better. Faster, Stronger, Bionic; whatever adjective tickles your naughty bits.

Stafford has the potential to be a great QB in the right system, of that I do not doubt. Ultimately, I don't have any say in how the Chiefs play football. But if I did, I would damn the torpedoes and keep building on what I've seen offensively in these last two games.

And with a Two-Back Set. ;)

*For those of you who noticed the asterisk, I shall now regail you with the verses to the Herm/Chan Theme Song:

Ahem...
And-a 1, 2, 3, 4:

Run,
Run,
Pass The Ball,
Gently Down The Stream,
Kick It And
Kick It And
Kick It On 4,
Life Is But A Dream...

(Second Verse, Same As The First!)
1, 2, 3, 4:

Run,
Run,
Pass The Ball,
Gently Down The Stream,
Marty-Ball
Marty-Ball
Marty-Ball
Marty-Ball,
Life Is But A
(Ugh; is it time for a bye-week yet?)

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2008, 11:09 PM
For those of you who found the theme song gay, I sincerely apologize. It DOES work better when I'm able to post the attachments that go with it.
Thank you for your patience.

Horizons01
11-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Just wonderin'.

Are you a Chief fan, or a Bulldog fan who thinks there's a chance that Stafford will land in KC?

I'm a UGA fan. I just stopped by to see how receptive Chiefs fans would be to the idea of drafting Stafford IF he decided to declare and ended up being drafted by your team.

By the way, I do think there's a good chance of him ending up in Kansas City if he decided to go pro. He's got some serious connections to the Chiefs, and I'm sure they would put in a good word for him come draft time.

ChiefsCountry
11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
He's got some serious connections to the Chiefs, and I'm sure they would put in a good word for him come draft time.

Being from Dallas that doesnt suprise me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm a UGA fan. I just stopped by to see how receptive Chiefs fans would be to the idea of drafting Stafford IF he decided to declare and ended up being drafted by your team.

By the way, I do think there's a good chance of him ending up in Kansas City if he decided to go pro. He's got some serious connections to the Chiefs, and I'm sure they would put in a good word for him come draft time.

Don't pay attention to duncan_idaho, FWIW.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Get the sand out.

Georgia's OL made a big leap in play in the second half of last season. Around that time, the running game emerged and Stafford's protection improved immensely. He had pretty good protection in the second half of the year. The line hasn't been as good this season, but Stafford has received plenty of chances to survey, set his feet and step into a throw this season. His accuracy has been slightly better this year, but he still has inexplicably missed more throws from a good pocket than I would like to see in a guy my team takes that high and invests that much money in.

I have no issue with Mattew Stafford as a person. I do think it's funny that he passed out, after apparently doing several strenuous keg lifts, while spooning his backup. If I am a Stafford "hater" it is because I feel he is too much of a bust risk for my team to draft in the top five.

Georgia fans make more excuses for Stafford than just about any fan base I've seen. He's a big kid with a strong arm who seems to have a pretty good grasp of the game (note that I have repeatedly recognized these skills, which aren't in doubt. Stop acting like I said the guy was a talentless chump) . He has some flaws that extend beyond UGA's "conservative offense" and "terrible OL" and "drops by the WRs."

By the way, anybody else watch the Ball State game this evening? Nate Davis looked pretty good.

Granted, Davis is playing in the MAC, but his arm strength is impressive (he will challenge Stafford for strongest arm in the draft if both come out) and he is more accurate than his mechanics suggest he should be. Pretty good athlete and improvises well, too. Still not sure the guy is a legit 6-2... but if he is, he could make a big move on draft day. I doubt he ends up being a first-round guy, but he could make some team pretty happy with the value it receives from a second- or third-round pick...

Oh God; Duncan is really JASON WHITLOCK!!!!!! ME EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just playin'. :D

I do however hope that we the Chiefs fans will be spared another decade-long Jeff George rant...

Horizons01
11-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Don't pay attention to duncan_idaho, FWIW.

I figured that out by myself, but thanks for the advice anyway. It's appreciated.

Deberg_1990
10-02-2011, 08:02 PM

ROFL