PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Resistance 2 - Anyone else stoked?

ziggysocki
11-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Just curious, I should be playing after work today if all goes well... A couple cold beers and some dead Chimera should make for a fun Tuesday.

TinyEvel
11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm picking up the collector's edition today.
Gonna be LittleBIGPlanet 'til the kids go to sleep, then Hale Hale Hale.

Hey, are you on PSN? If you want, post or PM me your ID and I'll add it to the PS3 thread.

xbarretx
11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Just curious, I should be playing after work today if all goes well... A couple cold beers and some dead Chimera should make for a fun Tuesday.

ill get it but i fear playing it b/c ill lose my groove in LBP. so if i get it and start it...im playing it until i beat it.

ziggysocki
11-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm picking up the collector's edition today.
Gonna be LittleBIGPlanet 'til the kids go to sleep, then Hale Hale Hale.

Hey, are you on PSN? If you want, post or PM me your ID and I'll add it to the PS3 thread.

Actually I don't have a PS3... My brother in law has the PS3, but he is uber broke thanks to divorce (long story short PS3 was bought on her credit card right before he gave her the boot). The way it works is like this: I go in on the games with him and get the added advantage of getting away from the wife and kids. He lives 3 houses down the street, so I can get play games, get drunk and walk home. It's basically the best scenario ever. And since it is the wife's baby brother, no complaints.

Gonzo
11-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Just beat the 1st one last night. Good game, I hope the 2nd one is a little more difficult.

xbarretx
11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Just beat the 1st one last night. Good game, I hope the 2nd one is a little more difficult.

yeah it was easy but it was easy in a fun way.

ziggysocki
11-04-2008, 11:03 AM
You beat it on the hardest setting? I'm not very good at shooters, and I had trouble beating it on normal setting. Co-op mode should be in every shooter.

ZootedGranny
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Not after playing the first and then the multiplayer beta for the second.

ziggysocki
11-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Not after playing the first and then the multiplayer beta for the second.

I am understanding this as you do not care for the next installment? Just more of the original repackaged to make some loot? Enlighten me.

ZootedGranny
11-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I disliked the first because the gunplay was extremely unsatisfying and there was no atmosphere to speak of.

The taste I got of the R2's multiplayer beta gave me the same impression.

That said, I'll rent R2 to play a bit more of the co-op, because I like what they're doing, and co-op makes damn near anything more fun.

Killzone 2 is the PS3 shooter I'm really looking forward to.

ziggysocki
11-04-2008, 04:33 PM
I disliked the first because the gunplay was extremely unsatisfying and there was no atmosphere to speak of.

The taste I got of the R2's multiplayer beta gave me the same impression.

That said, I'll rent R2 to play a bit more of the co-op, because I like what they're doing, and co-op makes damn near anything more fun.

Killzone 2 is the PS3 shooter I'm really looking forward to.

I tend to be a more casual, less serious player than others I know that play shooters (basically I suck at them) so I have no real authority to speak on the subtle qualities of the game. But hanging out drinking with a buddy while blasting hundreds of aliens is a good freaking time for me. Come to think of it, I have never played single player...so perhaps it is coop mode that I love and not the game itself. Thanks for your honest opinion.

xbarretx
11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
i buckled.... got res 2 today :)

Buck
11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
So back when I first got my 3 (thats PS3 for short), I bought Resistance and couldn't even beat the first level where all the Chimera pop out of that tunnel...I couldn't figure out the gun, I watched my brother play it and it made total sense, but I sold R:FOM before ever playing it again.

I went to the store today to think about picking up R:FOM, but ended up buying Fallout 3. So as soon as I'm done w/ Dead Space and Fallout 3, I'll pick up R:FOM and then get R2 once I'm done with that.

QuikSsurfer
11-04-2008, 04:41 PM
So back when I first got my 3 (thats PS3 for short), I bought Resistance and couldn't even beat the first level where all the Chimera pop out of that tunnel...I couldn't figure out the gun, I watched my brother play it and it made total sense, but I sold R:FOM before ever playing it again.

I went to the store today to think about picking up R:FOM, but ended up buying Fallout 3. So as soon as I'm done w/ Dead Space and Fallout 3, I'll pick up R:FOM and then get R2 once I'm done with that.

You still haven't beaten Dead Space?? What chapter are you on?

xbarretx
11-04-2008, 04:41 PM

im use to halo/COD/etc... so its second nature :)

no fish out of water here.

ziggysocki
11-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Why did you sell FOM? Frustration? I was hooked instantly.

Buck
11-04-2008, 04:46 PM
You still haven't beaten Dead Space?? What chapter are you on?

I had a girlfriend for a period of time there, so Im starting to get back into video games...I'm only on Chapter 2....:doh!:

Buck
11-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Why did you sell FOM? Frustration? I was hooked instantly.

Well I used to be 100% addicted to COD4 online multiplayer, so that factored in, but I got off that addiction after about 4 months.

TinyEvel
11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Well I used to be 100% addicted to COD4 online multiplayer, so that factored in, but I got off that addiction after about 4 months.

ROFL I am hoping this new slew of games (I have FALLOUT 3, Dead Space, MotorStorm PR, LBP and today I'll get R2) will help me kick my COD4 habit forever.

then COD5 comes out :cuss:

Buck
11-04-2008, 05:04 PM
ROFL I am hoping this new slew of games (I have FALLOUT 3, Dead Space, MotorStorm PR, LBP and today I'll get R2) will help me kick my COD4 habit forever.

then COD5 comes out :cuss:

Damn, you are still on there?

I was over at a buddies house a couple weeks back, and he out of nowhere put in COD4 and went online and played. He was playing the one where its just you vs everybody, cant remember what that is called, but I told him I suck at it.

He let me play, and I asked if he had a headset, and he did. So I put it on and just talked mad shit to everyone I was playing.

I played 3 Rounds and won at least 125-60 (next highest) in all 3 rounds, that was the funnest time I ever had playing that game.

QuikSsurfer
11-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Damn, you are still on there?

I was over at a buddies house a couple weeks back, and he out of nowhere put in COD4 and went online and played. He was playing the one where its just you vs everybody, cant remember what that is called, but I told him I suck at it.

He let me play, and I asked if he had a headset, and he did. So I put it on and just talked mad shit to everyone I was playing.

I played 3 Rounds and won at least 125-60 (next highest) in all 3 rounds, that was the funnest time I ever had playing that game.

"Free for All"

Mr Luzcious
11-04-2008, 05:07 PM
So I can't say I'm too familiar with this game. What exactly is supposed to be "unique" about it? Maybe unique isn't the right word. What makes it worth playing?

Buck
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
"Free for All"

Thats right, I normally stick to "Team Deathmatch" or "Sabotage"

QuikSsurfer
11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
So I can't say I'm too familiar with this game. What exactly is supposed to be "unique" about it? Maybe unique isn't the right word. What makes it worth playing?

I'm not sure what's unique about it but it's basically your standard linear shooter with great visuals and good multiplayer... So i'm told

Pablo
So I can't say I'm too familiar with this game. What exactly is supposed to be "unique" about it? Maybe unique isn't the right word. What makes it worth playing?Uh...I dunno. I've played through some of R1's campaign and played online a bit. If you like FPS, it's probably up your alley.

I can't really think of anything that makes it "pop" or be entirely unique...but I didn't play a whole lot of it..maybe 2 hours altogether.

QuikSsurfer
Thats right, I normally stick to "Team Deathmatch" or "Sabotage"

I keep it on Hardcore Team Deathmatch and Headquarters

Pablo
11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure what's unique about it but it's basically your standard linear shooter with great visuals and good multiplayer... So i'm toldThis is true. It does look very good, or at least the first did. I'm sure the second will be very nice looking as well.

Mr Luzcious
11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Uh...I dunno. I've played through some of R1's campaign and played online a bit. If you like FPS, it's probably up your alley.

I can't really think of anything that makes it "pop" or be entirely unique...but I didn't play a whole lot of it..maybe 2 hours altogether.

Eh, I'm not a big fan of them, but I might give them another chance. Probably not this one though, if what you guys have said is all it has going for it.

TinyEvel
11-04-2008, 05:18 PM

It's an FPS that takes place in America 1955. Aliens are taking over the planet and America is the last battlefront in the fight to save total planetary invasion.

World War 2 never happened, so the depression continued and so the landscape/architecture is a bit like the 30's. Though, weaponry is a bit advanced because science has been poaching some alien technology.

The big thing about the game is scale. 300 foot boss fights, battlefields in Chicago, Norther california Forest, Utah, Louisiana bayou and San Francisco.

THere are some unique weapon loads between the US (SRPA) weapons and the alien weapons you get to use, especially in multi. (8-player online co-op mode is pretty rad, and the 64-person team matches are huge.) I played the beta and didn't take the time to get intimately knowledgeable of the types of weapons/perks, but there were plenty of different ways (conventional and futuristic) to kill people.

One of the cool online roles is "medic" where you "suck" life out of the enemy and move around reviving your squadmates. So, you are one of the most popular ones in the squad.

Pablo
11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Eh, I'm not a big fan of them, but I might give them another chance. Probably not this one though, if what you guys have said is all it has going for it.Well, IMO, the best FPS to come out in the last 2-3 years is hands down COD4. It's just awesome, and the MP is great.

R1's MP was pretty fun...but if you aren't too hot on FPS's; then I dunno if it will be for you.

I'll probably rent it and give the campaign a run-through after a while, when my Gears 2 addiction begins to subside.

Mr Luzcious
11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
It's an FPS that takes place in America 1955. Aliens are taking over the planet and America is the last battlefront in the fight to save total planetary invasion.

World War 2 never happened, so the depression continued and so the landscape/architecture is a bit like the 30's. Though, weaponry is a bit advanced because science has been poaching some alien technology.

The big thing about the game is scale. 300 foot boss fights, battlefields in Chicago, Norther california Forest, Utah, Louisiana bayou and San Francisco.

THere are some unique weapon loads between the US (SRPA) weapons and the alien weapons you get to use, especially in multi. (8-player online co-op mode is pretty rad, and the 64-person team matches are huge.) I played the beta and didn't take the time to get intimately knowledgeable of the types of weapons/perks, but there were plenty of different ways (conventional and futuristic) to kill people.

One of the cool online roles is "medic" where you "suck" life out of the enemy and move around reviving your squadmates. So, you are one of the most popular ones in the squad.

Hm. Setting sounds decent (though I could care less about the story). I'm not sure how I feel about the scale though. I hate playing with lots of people, because the more people are there, the more I suck. The medic role does sound pretty nifty, however.

Buck
11-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Well, IMO, the best FPS to come out in the last 2-3 years is hands down COD4. It's just awesome, and the MP is great.

R1's MP was pretty fun...but if you aren't too hot on FPS's; then I dunno if it will be for you.

I'll probably rent it and give the campaign a run-through after a while, when my Gears 2 addiction begins to subside.

COD4 MP is the best I've ever played.

COD4 SP on Legendary, or whatever the highest level is, is just fucking absurd, one of the most difficult Single Player campaigns I've ever played, and its just awesome.

Pablo
11-04-2008, 05:22 PM
COD4 MP is the best I've ever played.

COD4 SP on Legendary, or whatever the highest level is, is just ****ing absurd, one of the most difficult Single Player campaigns I've ever played, and its just awesome.Veteran. Yeah, f*ck that. I consider myself pretty good at shooters, but the COD series has notoriously difficult Veteran settings.

Mr Luzcious
11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, IMO, the best FPS to come out in the last 2-3 years is hands down COD4. It's just awesome, and the MP is great.

COD4 is pretty fun, its true. Though I've only played local multiplayer.

TinyEvel
11-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Just played the first chapter. On medium. Did it in ten minutes.

I bet it gets much harder soon.

ziggysocki
11-05-2008, 05:27 AM
A couple things: 1. they changed the default controls from the first. Dumb. So I had to spend a few minutes reconfigging the controller. 2. They took out 2 player campaign mode. That was the main reason I got it. You can play some maps in multiplayer coop, but not the full story, no progress save, no continuity...that pissed me off. 3. Gameplay is basically identical, this could just be another set of levels added to the original. Some bigger monsters and different weapons and such, but nothing really different so to speak.

This is basically a renter IMO, play thru the single player campaign and take it back. Multiplayer online mode was cool, but If I am gonna play internet game, I damn sure dont want to do it on a split screen. R2 doesnt hold a candle to COD4. Just my $.02.

TommyHawk69
11-05-2008, 06:58 AM
IMO R2 is pretty sweet I didn't like the new controls after I got it setup how I like it though it is cool. I like how quick the zoom to shoot is and leveling up on the online play is good as well. I really miss the little map indicator thing though.

ziggysocki
11-05-2008, 07:07 AM
IMO R2 is pretty sweet I didn't like the new controls after I got it setup how I like it though it is cool. I like how quick the zoom to shoot is and leveling up on the online play is good as well. I really miss the little map indicator thing though.

Yeah, and when you hit start, it does not pause...you still die. The chaingun that you get as a soldier seemed badass at first, but takes forever to get rounds off and cant hit shit if you are not within 5 meters. Missing map indicator sucks.

TommyHawk69
11-05-2008, 07:36 AM
I think the graphics are awesome. It feels like a totally different game. The jury is still out for me. Last night they had a server problem which sucked but the online gaming in a 60 man deathmatch is unreal!

Gonzo
11-05-2008, 10:47 AM
A couple things: 1. they changed the default controls from the first. Dumb. So I had to spend a few minutes reconfigging the controller. 2. They took out 2 player campaign mode. That was the main reason I got it. You can play some maps in multiplayer coop, but not the full story, no progress save, no continuity...that pissed me off. 3. Gameplay is basically identical, this could just be another set of levels added to the original. Some bigger monsters and different weapons and such, but nothing really different so to speak.

This is basically a renter IMO, play thru the single player campaign and take it back. Multiplayer online mode was cool, but If I am gonna play internet game, I damn sure dont want to do it on a split screen. R2 doesnt hold a candle to COD4. Just my $.02.

Well hell, I was going to buy R2 next week but from what you're saying, you don't have a 2 player campaign mode? That sucks if that's the case! :(

Wa-Z
11-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Do you have to be familiar with the first one?

ziggysocki
11-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Do you have to be familiar with the first one?

Nope, and IMO you may like the second better if you are not. They catch you up on the story quickly, if its that's even necessary.

xbarretx
11-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Nope, and IMO you may like the second better if you are not. They catch you up on the story quickly, if its that's even necessary.

yeah but res 1 is so cheap b/c its a greatest hits.... i think its worth the time and money :shrug:

11-05-2008, 07:45 PM

that is a deal killer for me.

ziggysocki
11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
that is a deal killer for me.

Yup... Me too. I'm pissed. We actually turned it off and played R1 and had more fun playing coop campaign. Why did they do this??? Why God Why?

TinyEvel
11-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Yup... Me too. I'm pissed. We actually turned it off and played R1 and had more fun playing coop campaign. Why did they do this??? Why God Why?

I'll ask Ted Price next time I see him.

11-05-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll ask Ted Price next time I see him.Tell him to start talking with the gamers man. :D

11-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Yup... Me too. I'm pissed. We actually turned it off and played R1 and had more fun playing coop campaign. Why did they do this??? Why God Why?The only thing I didn't like about coop in the first one was the fact it was side by side rather than top and bottom.

xbarretx
11-07-2008, 10:33 AM
i dont like the sprinting aspect. i would rather have that seperation from GOW. i wish the controls remained the same, and it sucks that the bullseye now has dam near 0 aiming capibility. in the first one i could kill stuff without using the tag shot. now i almost have too.

so far minus what i just mentioned im loving the game. i think the game has improved AI and the diff bar was raised a bit. love the first part when you get to the surface to see the sky...simply stunning programming!

TinyEvel
11-08-2008, 12:48 AM
... love the first part when you get to the surface to see the sky...simply stunning programming!

I saw that dang shot for like four months!!!

When it came up I was like "meh... I bet those seeing it for the first time are impressed, though"

[/danemccloud]

11-08-2008, 12:49 AM

When it came up I was like "meh... I bet those seeing it for the first time are impressed, though"

[/danemccloud]You know. I was thinking WTF? until I saw the last line. ROFL

TinyEvel
11-08-2008, 12:52 AM
You know. I was thinking WTF? until I saw the last line. ROFL

a little bit serious though.

11-08-2008, 01:17 AM
a little bit serious though.I can imagine.

xbarretx
11-08-2008, 10:24 PM
beat it ! :)

loved all of the game!!!

now back to LBP till i decide to go and get fallout 3. :hmmm:

xbarretx
11-08-2008, 10:29 PM

[/danemccloud]

its good at generating emotion and making the player feel the atmosphere of it. such things are usually overlooked in today's game creation. too much "wham bam thank you ...gamer"

p.s. the fu**ing credits are like 5 minutes long... good lord!!!!!!! :cuss:

TinyEvel
11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
its good at generating emotion and making the player feel the atmosphere of it. such things are usually overlooked in today's game creation. too much "wham bam thank you ...gamer"

p.s. the fu**ing credits are like 5 minutes long... good lord!!!!!!! :cuss:

Okay, here's where they messed THAT up

MINOR SPOILER ALERT....

After the Orick level when you go inside the mile-high spaceship, the scene at the end when you blow it up...it just STARTS to blow up then that scene is clipped.

WTF??!! Three fireballs erupt on the outside of the thing and then we're out.
I felt jipped. They could have milked that into a suhweet cinematic, had it crack in half, fireballs, plummeting to Earth, that stuff.

xbarretx
11-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Okay, here's where they messed THAT up

MINOR SPOILER ALERT....

After the Orick level when you go inside the mile-high spaceship, the scene at the end when you blow it up...it just STARTS to blow up then that scene is clipped.

WTF??!! Three fireballs erupt on the outside of the thing and then we're out.
I felt jipped. They could have milked that into a suhweet cinematic, had it crack in half, fireballs, plummeting to Earth, that stuff.

i concur, there could have been a MUCH better ending cine as well. for instance why when he goes outside to see him looking at the sky do you see the things that look like exploded planets :hmmm:

TinyEvel
11-11-2008, 11:40 PM
i concur, there could have been a MUCH better ending cine as well. for instance why when he goes outside to see him looking at the sky do you see the things that look like exploded planets :hmmm:

You mean at the end of the opening SF sequence? or later.

xbarretx
11-12-2008, 12:22 PM
You mean at the end of the opening SF sequence? or later.

im talking end game my friend. (if you havent beat it yet i wont say more, or ill bring this into pm's)

i still love the initial opening sequence. they continually use parts of it throughout the entire game to give the player some sort of SCOPE as to how massive the Chimera really are.

Basileus777
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
The single-player campaign is one of the worst I've played in years. What a disappointment...

xbarretx
11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
The single-player campaign is one of the worst I've played in years. What a disappointment...

maybe you need to add a few more terrible games to your resume then my friend. i enjoyed it, it was no HALO campaign or COD campaign but it was not one of the worst in years. i could see how building upon R1 they did come across as trying too hard in spots during the game, but i still dont feel it was a waste of my money by any stretch of the imagination :)

Gonzo
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Just bought this yesterday and I can honestly say I am in no way sorry that I did. It's a really good game. Very intense and not at all easy.