PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Flanagan: Savage gets chance to make big impression

Tribal Warfare
11-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Savage gets chance to make big impression (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/877285.html)

In all probability, you’ll see plenty of Chiefs rookie Dantrell Savage in the backfield Sunday.

Because of the ongoing problems with Larry Johnson and the season-ending injury to Kolby Smith, Savage continues to climb the depth chart. Now, Savage is right behind starter and fellow rookie Jamaal Charles.

That should mean Savage, primarily a return man for the Chiefs, now will be counted on to help move the offense, too.

He’s ready, he says.

“I’m getting a lot more reps in practice,” Savage told me Wednesday. “The coaches have tried to fit me in with the No. 1 team.

“That is the plan, to work me in with Jamaal. It’s going to be a tiring week of practice — special teams, scout team, No. 1 team. But that’s why I came here. I love it.”

Savage never imagined he’d be in quite this position. His goal back in the spring was simply to get the Chiefs to notice him enough during free-agent workouts to get a training camp invite. And now, he’s got a chance to make a huge impression.

“It hasn’t hit me yet because I’m pretty laid back,” he said. “Maybe when I score a touchdown, it will kick in then.”

Savage, from Oklahoma State, is eager to share the backfield load with Charles, a Texas Longhorn.

“It’s all about the Big 12 — the 1-2 punch,” Savage said.

Well, since Savage and Charles are becoming good friends, have they determined who is faster?

“Jamaal’s got a different kind of speed,” Savage said. “He’s got track speed. I got field speed.

“I’m more quick. I’ve got more twitch, maybe. Jamaal, he is just fast.”

So, Charles would win the race?

“We’ve never raced before,” Savage said, smiling. “But yeah, Jamaal, he’s pretty fast.”

No boost

The summer Arbitron radio ratings showed that KCSP (610 AM) didn’t get much of a bump from having the Royals’ radio rights.

In fact, the numbers were down from the spring, and again rival WHB romped to an easy across-the-board victory.

In the morning, KCSP’s Roger Twibell had a 2.3 share in the summer, down from 3.3 in the spring. WHB had a 6.8 share in that time slot in the summer.

In mid-morning, KCSP’s Chris Hamblin and Cory Anderson went from a 2.6 share in the spring to a 1.4 in the summer. WHB countered with a 7.8 in mid-morning.

WHB’s Soren Petro had another easy win (7.7 to 3.1) over the Jim Rome show in midday.

Kevin Kietzman of WHB beat KCSP’s Marty Wall and Neal Jones in the afternoon, 8.5 to 2.2. Wall has since been let go by the station.

Close calls

Saw this interesting tidbit the other day: The Chiefs and Chargers have played more one-point games (10) against each other since 1960 than any other two teams currently in the league.

btlook1
11-06-2008, 01:18 AM
I sure hope ol Dontrell runs harder from the back field then he does on Kick off returns...you dance in the back field and you are done!

KCJohnny
11-06-2008, 01:23 AM
“Jamaal’s got a different kind of speed,” Savage said. “He’s got track speed. I got field speed.

This young man understand the game of football. Go, Dantrell! Personally, I think the spread fits Savage's talents more than Charles, but hey - we're deep at RB, right?

InChiefsHeaven
11-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Is Battle going to suit up as well? Seems if you are playing in Herm's offense, having 3 RB's and 3 QB's is a MUST...

EyePod
11-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Is Battle going to suit up as well? Seems if you are playing in Herm's offense, having 3 RB's and 3 QB's is a MUST...

I know. This really bugs me. Why do we have 3 QB's active on the roster? You can have one on the practice squad and have him set as the emergency QB. He does not have to be on your active 46...

ChiefGator
11-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I know. This really bugs me. Why do we have 3 QB's active on the roster? You can have one on the practice squad and have him set as the emergency QB. He does not have to be on your active 46...

Does for us.

Sure-Oz
11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Looks like i'll start Ryan Torain over Charles in my fantasy league

Hammock Parties
11-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm hoping Savage becomes the next great KC RB just for the headline possibilities.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
The only impression he will leave is his helmet in Albert's ass.

suds79
11-06-2008, 12:27 PM
The only impression he will leave is his helmet in Albert's ass.

I think you're selling Savage short.

He's a scatback who can make guys miss and get a few yards when there's not much there.

Furthermore, since we're running the spread, he should feel right at home to what he was asked to do in college.

I don't think we'll miss a beat when he's in for Charles.

Sure-Oz
11-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I think Charles could be a baby Chris Johnson

StcChief
11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm hoping Savage becomes the next great KC RB just for the headline possibilities.Savage Chief scalp's Cowboys.

Micjones
11-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I think Charles could be a baby Chris Johnson

I certainly see the similarities.

Micjones
11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Savage runs hard and doesn't always come down on first contact.
I think he could really contribute offensively.

Nonetheless it's a great storyline.
This kid came in off the streets and is actually giving this football team something.