PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Has anyone considered that we're quite possibly about to get a whole lot worse?

Hammock Parties
11-06-2008, 10:54 AM
We have so many rookies starting and contributing in major roles. Now they're gonna all hit the rookie wall at once in a few games. ALL OF THEM. AT ONCE. WHAM!

Doesn't that kind of put a damper on Herm's whole "we'll get better in the second half of the season," idea? And it's not just rookies, because we have first-year starters, too: Niswanger, Tank, Turk, Thomas.

JuicesFlowing
11-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Worse than our last few games, or worse than our blowouts?

Demonpenz
11-06-2008, 10:58 AM
we will see.

Rausch
11-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Nein.

Mostly because they've been use sparangly and mostly as fill-ins.

Charles needs to strap on his big-boy shoes and grab the role they're asking him to take. Old diapers smell like $#it.

Someone step up and throw our RT into the hell of a thousand slow cuts. Anyone other than McGunt. ANYONE.

Pigpen, maken it happen son. You got your chance, take it and steal someone else's lunch money...

KCUnited
11-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Not to mention the sophmore slump that is looming around the corner. We're doomed.

OnTheWarpath15
11-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Eh, possibly.

But we've gotten better over the past two weeks playing backups at key positions.

We're down to our #3 QB and RB - a WR we picked up off the street, and rotating in our backup RT on the line - and the offense is playing 100X better than it did with the 1st/2nd string guys at those positions.

And honestly, at this point in the season, I'm not really concerned with getting worse. We're 1 and fucking 7.

bobbything
11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
We have so many rookies starting and contributing in major roles. Now they're gonna all hit the rookie wall at once in a few games. ALL OF THEM. AT ONCE. WHAM!
Seems like we did that in weeks 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7.

whoman69
11-06-2008, 11:10 AM
no, players generally get better as the season going on. Herm's schemes though...

whoman69
11-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Nein.

Mostly because they've been use sparangly and mostly as fill-ins.

Charles needs to strap on his big-boy shoes and grab the role they're asking him to take. Old diapers smell like $#it.

Someone step up and throw our RT into the hell of a thousand slow cuts. Anyone other than McGunt. ANYONE.

Pigpen, maken it happen son. You got your chance, take it and steal someone else's lunch money...

Are those the Larry Johnson diapers?

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 11:14 AM
How can you get any worse when you are coached by one of the worse coaches in the current NFL...

We might get better, but only if the coaches continue to allow adjustments on game day and stop the run the clock out at all costs when we get a 3 pt lead.

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I think Herm has let Chan take over the O, which in turn has helped a TON. How long can Herm keep his paws out of it though?

Brock
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
And honestly, at this point in the season, I'm not really concerned with getting worse. We're 1 and ****ing 7.

Yeah, I don't see the big worry here.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-06-2008, 11:39 AM
I think we'll go 4 and 4 the 2nd half. We are last years Titans.

Fish
11-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I think Herm has let Chan take over the O, which in turn has helped a TON. How long can Herm keep his paws out of it though?

You really think the recent success is because Herm is losing power to Chan? Herm isn't calling the offensive plays anymore?

ROFL

Bowser
11-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Just wait until we sign DeAngelo Hall.

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 11:48 AM
You really think the recent success is because Herm is losing power to Chan? Herm isn't calling the offensive plays anymore?

ROFL

Lets see, 2 1/2 years of R2P2, 5 games in to 3rd season, R2P2 has killed 2 QB's...

Yeah I can see Herm losing control over this offense, UNTIL it matters then he Huards and screws everything up as usual!

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 11:50 AM

ROFL

Yes I do. I think he realized his ass was on the line and he has NO CLUE how to run a offense.

Rausch
11-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I think Herm has let Chan take over the O, which in turn has helped a TON.

Guess what?

The last two games have looked like Chan games. Trick plays based off the weaknesses of the opponent. Attacking (ghasp!) based on the weakness in the other team's defefense.

He's likely the only coach that deserves to be retained...

blueballs
11-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Chan has a solid history of how he calls his offense
yet Herm would pick him to have him run something else
hate is clouding some thinking around here

Fish
11-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Well isn't that convenient.... When it's not working, it's Herm's fault cause he's calling all the plays. When things start to come around, it's because he relented his power.

ROFL

I bet if we have a bad game this week, it will be because Herm took over again and started calling plays right? Dammit Herm and your power struggles!

Micjones
11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
The team is improving, but certainly it's reasonable to think that we could have another Atlanta or Raider game.

I'll take the good with the bad.
They've been competitive 2 weeks in a row.

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Well isn't that convenient.... When it's not working, it's Herm's fault cause he's calling all the plays. When things start to come around, it's because he relented his power.

ROFL

I bet if we have a bad game this week, it will be because Herm took over again and started calling plays right? Dammit Herm and your power struggles!

Yep, That is correct, When your a coach that has proved time and time again that you are a complete Tool.. You will be treated such...

Herm has done nothing to earn the right to be given the benefit of doubt. Until he actually does something in his NFL tenure.. Lets say be a successful coach on any level.. Then he might get a pass..

Until then Gailey makes progress with the offense, Herm regressing anything he touches...

OnTheWarpath15
11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
The team is improving, but certainly it's reasonable to think that we could have another Atlanta or Raider game.

I'll take the good with the bad.
They've been competitive 2 weeks in a row.

I agree, though the schedule is very favorable from here on out.

Buffalo and Miami pose the biggest challenges to the offense, IMO.

Almost every team we play will pose a challenge to the defense.

San Diego X 2
New Orleans
Buffalo
Miami
Cincinnati
Denver

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Guess what?

The last two games have looked like Chan games. Trick plays based off the weaknesses of the opponent. Attacking (ghasp!) based on the weakness in the other team's defefense.

I agree

HemiEd
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Guess what?

I agree, 100%.

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree

Yes I wouldnt mind Gailey staying on After Herm leaves... I would imagine that he would put in a decent gameplan that wouldnt involve the 4 minute punt offense Herm so covets.

Fish
11-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Yep, That is correct, When your a coach that has proved time and time again that you are a complete Tool.. You will be treated such...

Herm has done nothing to earn the right to be given the benefit of doubt. Until he actually does something in his NFL tenure.. Lets say be a successful coach on any level.. Then he might get a pass..

Until then Gailey makes progress with the offense, Herm regressing anything he touches...

I understand your opinion of Herm. You've somehow managed to make that clear over the past 2 seasons. However, I'm afraid your passionate opinion of Herm has also prevented you from seeing anything positive even where it is deserved.

We can go back and look at post after post of people saying Herm would never even "allow" Chan to do exactly what the team has done the last few weeks. He'd "Hermcuff" the offense to only "32 dives" and FGs. And now, many of those people's story has somehow changed to "Well he's finally letting Chan do what he wants." When in reality, there never was any conspiracy or overruling of plays or intentional ruining of the offense by Herm. It's simply been a convenient outlet of frustration the entire time. The offense is finally getting some confidence and experience, and some people still can't see that. Instead they hang on to their Herm hate and change their story again to fit the new parameters. Herm hasn't changed. Gailey hasn't changed. The offense is simply executing better and allowing them to do the things they've wanted to do all along.

MikeMaslowski
11-06-2008, 01:59 PM
As much as you all may love it (and sadly I would too)... Herm will be here next year. There is not even a doubt. HE WILL BE THE COACH OF THE 09 CHIEFS, Carl is in question but Hero is not. As for the post... damn rookie wall, it happens.. but can Dorsey get worse? Flowers is out and Charles hasn't played enough to hit that wall. So who really cares.

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I understand your opinion of Herm. You've somehow managed to make that clear over the past 2 seasons. However, I'm afraid your passionate opinion of Herm has also prevented you from seeing anything positive even where it is deserved.

We can go back and look at post after post of people saying Herm would never even "allow" Chan to do exactly what the team has done the last few weeks. He'd "Hermcuff" the offense to only "32 dives" and FGs. And now, many of those people's story has somehow changed to "Well he's finally letting Chan do what he wants." When in reality, there never was any conspiracy or overruling of plays or intentional ruining of the offense by Herm. It's simply been a convenient outlet of frustration the entire time. The offense is finally getting some confidence and experience, and some people still can't see that. Instead they hang on to their Herm hate and change their story again to fit the new parameters. Herm hasn't changed. Gailey hasn't changed. The offense is simply executing better and allowing them to do the things they've wanted to do all along.

WOW, All I can think of is......

http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/Kool-AidMan.jpg

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Herms back was against the wall, bad, he had to do something. Question is how long can he keep his paws out of it.

chiefsngop
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM

This is my fear as far as "getting worse" goes.

It looks like Chan has been running the offense the last couple weeks. But I'm afraid that a couple bad drives or bad quarter comes along and Herm's gonna think to himself "alright I gotta get back in charge of this thing."

And back to RRRP we go.....

Fish
11-06-2008, 03:20 PM
This is my fear as far as "getting worse" goes.

It looks like Chan has been running the offense the last couple weeks. But I'm afraid that a couple bad drives or bad quarter comes along and Herm's gonna think to himself "alright I gotta get back in charge of this thing."

And back to RRRP we go.....

:shake:

This is like teaching thermodynamics to preschoolers....

Why don't you just say as long as they look good, Chan is running the offense, but when they look bad Herm is running the offense. Or maybe just "Bad = Herm" to keep it simple for you.

Valiant
11-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Doesn't that kind of put a damper on Herm's whole "we'll get better in the second half of the season," idea? And it's not just rookies, because we have first-year starters, too: Niswanger, Tank, Turk, Thomas.

I am fine with our players getting better.. But I still want us not winning a fucking game..

And honestly, it cant get much worse then what we seen in the first half..

JuicesFlowing
11-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Our schedule is a little easier the rest of the season. Allegedly.

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Why don't you just say as long as they look good, Chan is running the offense, but when they look bad Herm is running the offense. Or maybe just "Bad = Herm" to keep it simple for you.

Because we know what a Herm ran offense looks like, and this is not it

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 03:53 PM

So all of a sudden after 7 years of stubborn coaching, Herm is just going to flat out change his approach to offense?

So what can you tell me about thermodynamics?

bobbything
11-06-2008, 04:00 PM
The offense is simply executing better and allowing them to do the things they've wanted to do all along.
You're telling me you don't see a difference between the offense of the last two games and the offense of the 6 games prior? I'm not talking just about productivity; I'm talking about the scheme.

Fish
11-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Because we know what a Herm ran offense looks like, and this is not it

We do? Please point out Herm's offensive coordinating experience. I must have missed it.

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 04:06 PM
We do? Please point out Herm's offensive coordinating experience. I must have missed it.

ROFL

Fish
11-06-2008, 04:08 PM
So all of a sudden after 7 years of stubborn coaching, Herm is just going to flat out change his approach to offense?

So what can you tell me about thermodynamics?

I don't think Herm is changing his approach to offense. That's the point. You're stuck up on this silly notion that Herm hates TDs, never wants to throw the ball, and lives for FGs. I've never believed that.

What would you like to know about thermodynamics?

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't think Herm is changing his approach to offense. That's the point. You're stuck up on this silly notion that Herm hates TDs, never wants to throw the ball, and lives for FGs. I've never believed that.

What would you like to know about thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics? Is that your field? What is it?

And no Herm stated himself "Any drive that ends in a Kick is a good drive" He would rather run 3 times, punt and play defense, than to do anything remotely creative on offense, up until the last week or two.

This offense that we witnessed on Sunday resembled nothing like what Herm and his last 3 OC's and a Red Zone Coordinator ever put on the field.

Just saying Herm is a square peg in a round hole and treats offense as such. His fear of trying to win with offense overshadowing anything he can possibly do right. Crap the list of games where the Chiefs had a chance to with with just a slight bit of confidence in his scheme and players are pretty telling...

9 times out of 10 with a small lead, By Herms choice, he would rather Huard on the sidelines, punt and play defense. Hell the Jets fans whined about it for 4 years! This isnt like it is nothing new to Herm lead teams....

Fish
11-06-2008, 04:34 PM
You're telling me you don't see a difference between the offense of the last two games and the offense of the 6 games prior? I'm not talking just about productivity; I'm talking about the scheme.

Yes I have seen a difference. Mainly QB play. Thigpen is playing more confident and making better reads and throws. He's been quoted saying as much. He's reading the defenses better. The line is blocking a little better for him. That's the difference I've seen. You can make up whatever playcalling conspiracy theories you want, but the difference is the play of the QB.

Of course I fully expect that the first time Thigpen has a bad game and offensive production falls, Herm will be blamed again....

bobbything
11-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes I have seen a difference. Mainly QB play. Thigpen is playing more confident and making better reads and throws. He's been quoted saying as much. He's reading the defenses better. The line is blocking a little better for him. That's the difference I've seen. You can make up whatever playcalling conspiracy theories you want, but the difference is the play of the QB.

Of course I fully expect that the first time Thigpen has a bad game and offensive production falls, Herm will be blamed again....
You're not seeing the difference in the approach? Really?

Never mind then.

beach tribe
11-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I think we improve. The second half of the season. Immensely.

Fish
11-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Thermodynamics? Is that your field? What is it?

And no Herm stated himself "Any drive that ends in a Kick is a good drive" He would rather run 3 times, punt and play defense, than to do anything remotely creative on offense, up until the last week or two.

This offense that we witnessed on Sunday resembled nothing like what Herm and his last 3 OC's and a Red Zone Coordinator ever put on the field.

Just saying Herm is a square peg in a round hole and treats offense as such. His fear of trying to win with offense overshadowing anything he can possibly do right. Crap the list of games where the Chiefs had a chance to with with just a slight bit of confidence in his scheme and players are pretty telling...

9 times out of 10 with a small lead, By Herms choice, he would rather Huard on the sidelines, punt and play defense. Hell the Jets fans whined about it for 4 years! This isnt like it is nothing new to Herm lead teams....

My degree was in computer engineering, which included a brutal course called Elements of Thermodynamics, taught by a K-State prof by the name of Dr. Carpenter (http://eece.ksu.edu/%7Ekhc/pubs/khcpubs/node1.html). One of the smartest men I've ever met. The course itself was a complete nightmare. Took me 2 tries to pass. One of the hardest things I've ever done.

And Herm has gotten a bad rap that has been piled on to oblivion. No matter how many times he comes out and says he's not against scoring points, you don't believe him.

See my last post for the reason the offense has looked different the last few weeks.

beach tribe
11-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Herm doesn't get blamed that much for execution IMO. He catches the wost hell for the R2P2 offense.

CupidStunt
The "rookie wall" doesn't apply to rookies that haven't played above expectations early in the year. For example, there's no wall for Dorsey to hit.

beach tribe
The "rookie wall" doesn't apply to rookies that haven't played above expectations early in the year. For example, there's no wall for Dorsey to hit.

I really think these guys are headed upwards.

Fish
11-06-2008, 04:45 PM
You're not seeing the difference in the approach? Really?

Never mind then.

So you can't argue my point at all? You have no argument for why QB play would make a difference in play calling? All you've got is playcalling conspiracies?

Never mind then.

Tribal Warfare
11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm gonna call it now, Thigpen will really get his metal tested against the Chargers, because the past two weeks the opposition he faced has been playing flat.The Chargers have a losing record too, and won't be looking past this game so I expect a total meltdown on KC's part if they get pushed and panic.

Fish
11-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Q: Can this offense do more than it could a couple weeks ago?

THIGPEN: “That’s one thing with (offensive coordinator) coach (Chan) Gailey and the offensive coaches. As an offense, with me in there consistently, they’re able to expand the offense and put a little more on the shoulders of the receivers and other players.” Q: This team has played well the last two weeks. How much of that is you?

THIGPEN: “It’s not me, it’s the team. It’s a team game. The offensive line is doing a wonderful job blocking, pass blocking, run blocking. Give them a lot of credit. Coach Gailey is doing a wonderful job play calling. The credit is not going to me; it’s going to the offense. The offense deserves the credit.” Q: What are you like in the huddle?

THIGPEN: “I feel like I have a lot more confidence in the huddle. When I call a protection, looking at the offensive line, when I call a Z receiver, I look at Tony when I call his certain play. That’s just knowing your offense and just being mature and having confidence that you know exactly what you’re calling. That’s come a long way since I first started.”http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196228

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 05:17 PM
My degree was in computer engineering, which included a brutal course called Elements of Thermodynamics, taught by a K-State prof by the name of Dr. Carpenter (http://eece.ksu.edu/%7Ekhc/pubs/khcpubs/node1.html). One of the smartest men I've ever met. The course itself was a complete nightmare. Took me 2 tries to pass. One of the hardest things I've ever done.

And Herm has gotten a bad rap that has been piled on to oblivion. No matter how many times he comes out and says he's not against scoring points, you don't believe him.

See my last post for the reason the offense has looked different the last few weeks.

That would probably rank up there with Flight Enviroment or Advanced Aerodynamics for me.... I know the feeling, those classes suck ass and I have to take the FE class agian? Maybe?

Herm gets a bad rap because he has earned one... Ask any Jet fan.

Yes I understand QB play can change a offense, I understand that when your offense is getting QB's killed, you better change eventually or no one will believe in you.

chiefsngop
11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
So you can't argue my point at all? You have no argument for why QB play would make a difference in play calling? All you've got is playcalling conspiracies?

Never mind then.

Here's my argument to your "point".

You're right that QB play makes a huge difference in play calling.

But.....

From New York to Kansas City, Herm Edwards has a history of assembling lousy O-lines utilizing terrible offensive and blocking schemes and sticking them out on the field completely unprepared. He then puts his QB out on the same field, behind these tragedy prone O-lines and asks said QB to stand in the pocket for obscene amounts of time.

This process has led to Herman Edwards very long & well documented history of getting his quarterbacks killed. In New York as well as here.

So yes, when you're starting a different, second string caliber, quarterback every couple weeks or so it will most certainly affect play calling and overall production. But when history has shown it to be your fault that a new QB must be found every couple weeks, well............................ it's still YOUR FAULT. (Herm)

Mr. Laz
11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
we've won game ........ ONE!!!!!

and we suck in almost every part of the game

how much worse can we get?

the Talking Can
11-06-2008, 06:37 PM

people pay for this?

Hammock Parties
11-06-2008, 06:56 PM
people pay for this?

What the fuck are you going on about?

Mr. Flopnuts
11-06-2008, 07:01 PM
WOW, All I can think of is......

http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/Kool-AidMan.jpg

Instead of an attempt at wit, I'd rather see you argue the points with facts just one time.

Tiger's Fan
11-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Never mind then.

We're running the fucking spread offense, the antithesis of everything Herm Edwards related, and you can't see the difference?

This appears to be a case of the genious that has no common sense, no offense.

Spott
11-06-2008, 08:57 PM
If getting worse and finishing 1-15 means Herm will be gone, I'm fine with getting worse.

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Instead of an attempt at wit, I'd rather see you argue the points with facts just one time.

He has been, over, and over, with this guy.

milkman
11-06-2008, 09:55 PM

I highly doubt that anyone honestly believes that Herman fucking Edwards doesn't want to score.

We make jokes because of his overall philosophy.

That philosophy is borne out of fear, for lack of a better word.

His teams go into a conservative shell far earlier than most other coaches, even those that have a reputation for conservatism.

He may not sit in on all the offensive meetings, and he may not dictate the overall game plan, but he does dictate the overall strategy.

beach tribe
11-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I highly doubt that anyone honestly believes that Herman ****ing Edwards doesn't want to score.

We make jokes because of his overall philosophy.

That philosophy is borne out of fear, for lack of a better word.

His teams go into a conservative shell far earlier than most other coaches, even those that have a reputation for conservatism.

He may not sit in on all the offensive meetings, and he may not dictate the overall game plan, but he does dictate the overall strategy.

Anyone who can't see this is blind. He does it over, and over, and always has.

beach tribe
11-06-2008, 10:04 PM

You, and reerun should just start your own thread.

It would look like this.

Reerun: Herm is an Idiot

Fish: You guys just don't like him. He gets a bad rap.

Rinse, and repeat.

Skip Towne
11-06-2008, 10:21 PM
We're 1-7. We can't possibly get much worse.

Reerun_KC
11-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Yeah I remember you.... We had a debate about Herms running game in NYJ right?

boogblaster
11-06-2008, 10:29 PM
1-8 is Skip ...

Fish
We're running the ****ing spread offense, the antithesis of everything Herm Edwards related, and you can't see the difference?

This appears to be a case of the genious that has no common sense, no offense.

Yes, we're running the spread. But did you happen to see the ratio of running plays to passing plays last week?

36 Running plays
26 Passing plays

Yeah.... that's the anti-thesis of everything Herm Edwards related huh? Complete anti-thesis. More running plays than passing plays. Totally against the whole "Run the ball well, play defense" mindset huh?

Just because different plays are working doesn't mean we're not trying to establish the exact same thing we have been since Herm has been coach. Strong running and opportunistic passing. Control the time of possesion. Which we did through most of the game. And it worked and gave us a chance to win.

36 Running plays
26 Passing plays

Seriously. Come on Herm, quit passing so much these folks don't think you're calling plays anymore....

EDIT: Passing plays (Thanks Claythan)

Hammock Parties
26 passes actually, but your point stands. We shut it down in the 2nd half.

milkman
11-06-2008, 10:31 PM
We're 1-7. We can't possibly get much worse.

I think you might be underestimating Herman fucking Edwards' underwhelming coaching.

beach tribe
11-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Yes, we're running the spread. But did you happen to see the ratio of running plays to passing plays last week?

36 Running plays
26 Passing plays

Yeah.... that's the anti-thesis of everything Herm Edwards related huh? Complete anti-thesis. More running plays than passing plays. Totally against the whole "Run the ball well, play defense" mindset huh?

Just because different plays are working doesn't mean we're not trying to establish the exact same thing we have been since Herm has been coach. Strong running and opportunistic passing. Control the time of possesion. Which we did through most of the game. And it worked and gave us a chance to win.

36 Running plays
26 Passing plays

Seriously. Come on Herm, quit passing so much these folks don't think you're calling plays anymore....

EDIT: Passing plays (Thanks Claythan)

Typical Herm in the 2nd half. Funny how we didn't score shit after the second half when we lost our balance for "establishing the run"

Fish
11-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Typical Herm in the 2nd half. Funny how we didn't score shit after the second half when we lost our balance for "establishing the run"

Not really. I didn't expect us to win the game. Did you? Were you disappointed somehow?

beach tribe
11-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Not really. I didn't expect us to win the game. Did you? Were you disappointed somehow?

Yes I did actually, and yes I was. WE SHOULD have won. I wanted to win. You didn't?

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 10:46 PM

After the 1st half, you damm right they should have won that game, young or old.

Fish
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes I did actually, and yes I was. WE SHOULD have won. I wanted to win. You didn't?

Well of course I wanted to win, but I didn't expect it. Not many people did. Chiefs are killing the spread.

The point is that they still improved. Untypical of Herm Edwards.

milkman
11-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Well of course I wanted to win, but I didn't expect it. Not many people did. Chiefs are killing the spread.

So you knew Herman fucking Edwards would fuck it up too?

Skip Towne
I think you might be underestimating Herman fucking Edwards' underwhelming coaching.

I realize how stupid Herm is. But it is tough to do worse than 1-7. Even for Herm.

beach tribe

At the half I wanted to win.

You are correct. Improvement=untypical
shelled up with the lead=definitely typical Herm.

Fish
11-06-2008, 10:52 PM
After the 1st half, you damm right they should have won that game, young or old.

After the first half, yes. But before the game began, nobody gave them much of a chance. They surprised everybody and played like they didn't care about the odds. Give them some credit for that and realize that they made improvement. They made improvement playing the exact type of game Herm is known for. That's the point. The fact that you're disappointed by them having a legitimate chance in a game that nobody thought they'd win should be a positive sign that they're doing something right....

beach tribe
11-06-2008, 10:59 PM
After the first half, yes. But before the game began, nobody gave them much of a chance. They surprised everybody and played like they didn't care about the odds. Give them some credit for that and realize that they made improvement. They made improvement playing the exact type of game Herm is known for. That's the point. The fact that you're disappointed by them having a legitimate chance in a game that nobody thought they'd win should be a positive sign that they're doing something right....

It's good to be happy about improvement, but it's kind of bittersweet to know that once you play that way consistently, The coach is still going to lock it down if you get a 14 point lead, and keep the game close. Just like he did Sunday, and throughout his entire career, and even when we are at o0ur best we are going to lose games just like the last one because of it.

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 11:00 PM

Every team has a chance, especially when a team turns the ball over a few times. Though having Herm coach your team on game day would probably bring those odds down a bit :D

Fish
11-06-2008, 11:30 PM
My point is that this last game exibited the exact type of playcalling you would expect from a Herm-coached team, and yet people are calling it the "antithesis of everything Herm Edwards related". People are saying Herm isn't calling the plays anymore, except the play-calling looked like a run-dominant, control the time of possesion scheme. The difference being that it worked for most of the game this time. And they did it against the #5 defense in the league...

RedThat
11-06-2008, 11:43 PM
No I actually don't believe we're getting worse.

As we all know this season is quite awful as far as winning goes, however, with the inspired play of a lot of the young guys on this team gives me every reason to believe the Chiefs are getting better. Come on we've dog fighted 2 playoff caliber teams to the end in the last 2 weeks!

Imo, slowly they're finding players at key positions. They are not there yet as far as building a good team goes but they are well on there way?

I honestly really like a lot of players on this team. Flowers, Carr, D. Johnson, Albert, Bowe, Charles, Bradley, Thigpen, T Gonzalez, Waters, Colquitt Im all impressed with this bunch. I just think the Chiefs need to stick with there plan of building and adding key players at key positions through the draft. It's gonna take time. We know growing is painful and hard.

I truly believe guys like Thigpen, Bradley, Charles have something to show the Chiefs and their fans and are playing for jobs here next year. come to think of it, you got players playing for jobs, thus playing their hearts out and making the team better in return. Because of that, I truly believe this team has a lot more fight in it then we think and it's showing on the field. I think they will be competitive week in and week out throughout the season. I really think they can win 5 games.

Tribal Warfare
11-07-2008, 01:29 AM

I truly believe guys like Thigpen, Bradley, Charles have something to show the Chiefs and their fans and are playing for jobs here next year. come to think of it, you got players playing for jobs, thus playing their hearts out and making the team better in return. Because of that, I truly believe this team has a lot more fight in it then we think and it's showing on the field. I think they will be competitive week in and week out throughout the season. I really think they can win 5 games.

LMAO

beach tribe
11-07-2008, 06:37 AM
My point is that this last game exibited the exact type of playcalling you would expect from a Herm-coached team, and yet people are calling it the "antithesis of everything Herm Edwards related". People are saying Herm isn't calling the plays anymore, except the play-calling looked like a run-dominant, control the time of possesion scheme. The difference being that it worked for most of the game this time. And they did it against the #5 defense in the league...

Dude, they didn't do that until the second half. You know, when we stopped scoring. So, no, It didn't "work".
Chan's creative playcalling in the first half worked.
Not Herm's shelled up bitch ball in the 2nd.

chiefsngop
11-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Herm has a theory that he wants to play & win CLOSE GAMES.

My problem is this ; When your young guys and your offensive coordinator actually bring it for once. And surprisingly enough your kicking the other teams ass right out of the gate, it's time to abandon the "keep it close" game theory and finish off the blow out.

Keep pouring it on, and once it's full, you pour some more on. That way a couple injuries or a bad call don't end up costing you the game, because you actually have a cushion of points to fall back on.

You put a guy on the ropes, you knock his ass out. You don't call time out and allow him to regain his footing. Just keep beating him till the ref pulls you off.

beach tribe
11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Herm has a theory that he wants to play & win CLOSE GAMES.

My problem is this ; When your young guys and your offensive coordinator actually bring it for once. And surprisingly enough your kicking the other teams ass right out of the gate, it's time to abandon the "keep it close" game theory and finish off the blow out.

Keep pouring it on, and once it's full, you pour some more on. That way a couple injuries or a bad call don't end up costing you the game, because you actually have a cushion of points to fall back on.

You put a guy on the ropes, you knock his ass out. You don't call time out and allow him to regain his footing. Just keep beating him till the ref pulls you off.

That's correct sir., but Herms not down wit it, ya dig?

bobbything
11-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Never mind then.
I said nothing about a conspiracy. All I'm saying is that the play calling and formations have changed. We're not running the ball when it's expected every single time. We're not passing the ball when it's expected every single time. Just because we ran the ball more than we passed the ball doesn't prove that we're still playing the same way we were. The play calling has been modified. It's obvious. My guess is that one of two things happened: either the Herminator has changed his philosophy slightly or he has allowed Gailey a little more freedom.

There is no conspiracy. The QB is playing better because he's being put in better situations.

chiefzilla1501
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM

It's still better than the alternative of accepting average play with no upside from long-term veterans.

Plenty of reason to doubt Herm's ability to get wins out of this team, but I still don't understand the resistance around the direction the Chiefs are moving in. Young players have a ton more upside than veterans. Yes, maybe they hit a rookie wall (MAYBE), but we're not playing for now. We're playing for 2 years from now. And the point that you ignored is that if our players are playing well now, imagine their upside in 2 years when they're supposed to hit their full potential?

Some young players hit a wall. But most young players become better as they adjust to the speed of the game and learn from their mistakes. That obviously was not factored in to your analysis.

chiefzilla1501
11-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Dude, they didn't do that until the second half. You know, when we stopped scoring. So, no, It didn't "work".
Chan's creative playcalling in the first half worked.
Not Herm's shelled up bitch ball in the 2nd.

The Chiefs had a 3rd and short on every second half drive. Surely, you don't think that a gimmick offense was going to work in the second half against arguably the best defensive mind in the NFL. The playcalling was fine in the second half. On almost every drive, it put players in a position to make plays. We failed in the execution. One drive was killed on a fumble on the 3. One drive was killed when Thigpen mis-threw a pass and Gonzalez bobbled a makeable catch on 3rd down (by the way... it was third and six because Cox false started on a 3rd and 1). Another drive was killed by a blown ref call on an offensive PI that put the Chiefs in a tough 3rd and long. Nothing playcalling can do when the players/refs don't do their jobs. The only offensive playcalling that upset me was the 3rd and 1 screen pass, but that was more an example of being TOO aggressive.

Fans scapegoat the offense b/c it's all we know how to do. What I saw was an offense that got away with a few gimmick plays in the first half, and a solid playcalling in the second half where the players made too many mistakes. This loss was not on the offensive playcalling. In terms of blame, it goes to: 1) atrocious defense (Tampa's offense is horrible); 2) horrendous special teams play; 3) injuries; 4) players not executing; 5) refs; 6) offensive playcalling.

Again, I question Herm's ability to manage a game, but I don't understand why there's so much criticism for the second half playcalling. It was essentially the same. The only difference is we made a lot less mistakes in the first half.