View Full Version : Life Experiences with Direct TV........

Bwana
11-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Good, bad? I just got off the road after driving 400 miles through nasty weather and the long ass week from hell. Waiting for me upon my return was a bill from Direct TV for $435.15 on what was to be a “free upgrade and install!” I sit on hold for 45 minutes and get some fuggen “robot chick” when I do get through. I explained the install was “in theory free” and the HD DVR was also “in theory free.” <o></o>
<o></o>
A little history….<o></o>
<o></o>
What happened was some slack jaw showed up at my house two weeks ago for the install. He takes one look one look at the back of my TV, literally gasps and says “oh wow, oh wow.” I’m thinking, Hmm, this is the last thing I wanted to hear from the clown that is getting ready to screw with my system. I said, what are you oh wowing about? He went on some ramble about how it was going to be a hard one. OK, now I’m starting to get nervous. I got bad juju about the guy the moment he walked in the door and the felling was compounded when I had to run down to Radio shack to get the moron a cord. He claimed that in order to get what I needed for signal, I would need to upgrade to the HD DVR, I said “is there going to be any extra charge?” He said yes. I told him that I thought I would just take a pass and he could go on his merry way and I would just go with cable. He called his supervisor and Direct TV and by the time everything was said and done, they were giving me the install and HD DVR at no charge.

The install........<o></o>
<o></o>
The knuckle dragger seemed lost for the next 6 hours and had to make nervous phone calls to his Direct TV comrades to try the figure out what the **** he was doing. When it was done, the Direct TV genius had done a **** job of getting my locals to come in. (They were great before he came) At that point I just sent him down the road before I went all country on his ass and called it good.<o></o>
<o></o>
Fast forward to tonight when I walk in and open the bill. I about messed myself. They had charged me $99.00 for installation, $200.00 for the HD receiver and a bunch of other bull**** trumped up shill charges, which included a “Delivery and handling” charge. Delivery and handling??? The son of a bitch had it in his van!! He literally delivered it from his van to the inside of my house. <o></o>
<o></o>
Tonight……..<o></o>
<o></o>
I got on the Phone and after a 45 minute wait get “the robot chick.” All she could say after I explained it the same way 10 times was, “we can give you $100.00 credit.” I was so pissed off, if I could have reached through the phone I would have done her in. Finally, I got her to pass me onto a supervisor. She told me it wouldn’t do any good, but she would do it anyway.
<o></o>
On comes Abdul the barely speaks English supervisor. (He tries to give me the same song and dance and I cut in and said, “HEY! What kind of a rat soup, Mickey Mouse, fly by night, chicken **** outfit are you guys running out there? Step out of your robot song and dance and don’t insult my intelligence.” I then went on the tell him that he needed to take care of this Fug up in the next 5 minutes, or he could send his boy back over here and get this **** the **** off my roof. <o></o>
<o></o>
Five minutes later, it was taken care of. I wonder how many other people they have tried to bone and gotten away with it? <o></o>

11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Skip Towne on Direct TV------>http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8691/znoobs5zb3xskc6.gif

Mr. Laz
11-06-2008, 10:50 PM
i refuse to read smurf font

:harumph:

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I have had great luck. One thing though you have to watch these contractors or whoever they are, they will stick it to you.

BTW the font and all the smileys sucked

Bwana
11-06-2008, 10:57 PM
BTW the font and all the smileys sucked

All the smileys??

boogblaster
11-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Been a DirecTV user for 10 years even before it was DirecTV have never had a problem ... Moved 3 times too .. They always came right out and reinstalled me free .. Had to change to a different dish to get my locals they came and did for like 69 bucks .. Once a rat ate my cable they ran me a new one no charge .. And I live in the sticks ....

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 11:04 PM
All the smileys??

I see a shit load of these :p

The Rick
11-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I just dumped DirecTV for Time Warner after 7 years.

The thing that sent me over the edge was the NFL Sunday Ticket. The cost was going to be $300 and the kicker for me was that I was going to have to add the "Superfan" option for an addition $100 in order to get the games in HD. This is in addition to the $10/month I was already paying for HD channels.

I paid $300 for the privilege of using their HD DVR receiver. They consider it a lease meaning I had to send it back to them when I cancelled.

The original HD DVR receiver I got was crap. Constantly froze up while watching recorded shows. It also screwed up a lot of the recordings. They wanted me to pay $80 to have someone come out and take a look at it. I basically told them where they could shove their $80 fee and they finally shipped me a replacement receiver at no cost.

Now that I'm on Time Warner, I get to use a Tivo again (I'm buying one). I'm happy. No NFL Sunday Ticket, but DirecTV is "tha debil".

Lzen
11-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Why is that I only see these stories on CP about Directv? :hmmm: I know there are those that have been happy subscribers for years. But there seems to be plenty of unhappy ones, too.

Pushead2
11-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Time Warner all the way baby!!

Frazod
11-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Went through hell during the infancy of HDTV, but I haven't had any problems for a few years now. They rape the shit out of me on Sunday Ticket, but nobody puts a gun to my head, so I guess that's on me.

Phobia
11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
You have to know how to deal with DirectTV. The magic word is "Dish". Invoke it early and invoke it often. They'll send a catered meal to your house if you say "Dish" 12x.

PastorMikH
11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
For the most part my DTV experience has been good. I wasn't all that impressed with the instal guys that showed up for my HD installation. Something about them pulling up and sitting in the truck visiting for 5 minutes before getting out to help me was a bit odd. I did notice the guys must not get paid much because instead of each of them having their own cigs, they were having to share one.

Takes them 30-45 minutes to get the new HD dish assembled and ready to go up on the house. They take a look at where the wire has to go, wipe their brows, scratch their heads, then tell me since I want the TV on an interior wall, it will cost extra. I ask them if they mind if I run the wire for them for no extra cost. They cheer up considerable at that. They go out to the truck, cut the wire, hand it to me and take a break before going back to the ladder and dish sitting on the ground. I fish the wire through the eave, pull all the spare wire from the wall, (HD takes two lines) tape the end to the wire, go into the house and pull the wire down the wall. Go back outside and as they are starting to put the new mast up on the roof, tell them the wire is run and its ready for ends, they are shocked that I'm done so fast.

Ends up, it takes 2 guys almost 3 hours to do my "install" with me running the wire. I could have done the whole job in a little over an hour.

Simply Red
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I talked to Satan once in their CS Department. I have a whole thread about it.

sd4chiefs
11-07-2008, 12:22 AM
My free upgrade only cost me $350. :p

Simply Red
11-07-2008, 12:23 AM
My free upgrade only cost me $350. :p

LMAO

Bwana
11-07-2008, 12:28 AM
I see a shit load of these :p

No shit? Seriously, I see NONE, WTF??

smittysbar
11-07-2008, 12:32 AM
16 of the little guys

Bwana
11-07-2008, 12:33 AM
16 of the little guys

Damn, that would drive me nuts too. :shake:

old_geezer
11-07-2008, 07:41 AM
I've had DIRECTV for at least 10 years now. It's a total crapshoot with their "technicians" unfortunately. My experience with HD installs is a perfect example. I already had Directv HD (had to tell the "technician" who installed it how to do it). Knew I was in trouble when the first words out of his mouth were "I've never done one of these before.

Decided I wanted the locals in HD when they became available. I called to see what it would cost me. They changed my receiver and dish free with a 1-year commitment. The two who came to do the installation were 3 hours late and did a half-assed job. I had different problems (mostly minor) since.

I decided to bite the bullit after about a year and called for a service call to see if they could fix the problems. Last straw was I lost the signal for about half of my HD programming. When I called the customer service rep looked at my files, declared that I was a longtime and valued customer, and said the service call would be free.

Anyway, the latest technician came out on time, very polite, and knew what he was doing!!!!! He brought in some small part that he screwed into the back of my receiver saying "I think this will solve your problem." Nope! He looked at me and calmly said "You just got yourself a new receiver." He installed the new receiver and activated it. Same problems! He just went out to the truck, got his ladder and went up on the roof. Replaced the LBN on the dish and restarted the receiver again. Unbelievibly clear and sharp picture!!!!! I sat in awe the next day just saying WOW over and over. I just thought I had a HD piucture before I guess.

All this was free and took less than one-half of an hour to accomplish. I am at present very satisfied with my DIRECTV experience.

Skip Towne
11-07-2008, 07:58 AM
No, Pastor, HD does not require two wires. The DVR requires two wires.

Bwana
11-07-2008, 08:31 AM
OG: I know like in all walks of life, there are people that know what they are doing and well, the others. I ended up with the king of the others. It is what it is, but the follow up on the phone is what really ticked me off. The robot lady set me off like I haven't been set off in years. You could tell she didn't give a rats ass about my issues and was reading off a Q card.

In my business, I deal with people daily and am in charge of 90+ store owners. I know how to provide top notch customer service and take care of people. If one of them has a problem, I don't stop until it's solved period. This lady was the "anti-Bwana." I'm glad they got it right for you the 2nd time.

MIAdragon
11-07-2008, 08:38 AM
That damn “robot chick.” makes me want to kill babies every time I have to call for something.

Bwana
11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey Skip, is the "Service Plan" for $5 a month worth it IYHO, or is it a rip-off. I normally don't invest in service plans, but the fact that this installer was such a dipshit tilted me in that direction. I figured there was about a 50/50 shot the 35 pound dish would blow off the roof with the first wind gust over 15 miles per hour with the way the rest of the install went down.

dtebbe
11-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I talked to Satan once in their CS Department. I have a whole thread about it.

I thought you were gone forever?

Anyway, nice to have you back ROFL

DT

Lzen
11-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Damn, that would drive me nuts too. :shake:

So you seriously didn't mean to add all those smileys? That is really strange that you can't see them. Perhaps a mod could explain this.

Lzen
11-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey Skip, is the "Service Plan" for $5 a month worth it IYHO, or is it a rip-off. I normally don't invest in service plans, but the fact that this installer was such a dipshit tilted me in that direction. I figured there was about a 50/50 shot the 35 pound dish would blow off the roof with the first wind gust over 15 miles per hour with the way the rest of the install went down.

If you haven't gotten any snow yet, I would suggest you go up there and check to make sure all the bolts and nuts are tight.

dtebbe
11-07-2008, 09:20 AM
I've been a DirecTv customer since 96' and have never really had any major problems. But I do all my own install & troubleshooting work, so I never have to deal with some of their retard contract installers. In the years I've had them I've had one LNB and one multiswtich failure, both of which I repaired myself for under $50 each time. I don't have any rain fade issues either, because I know how to properly peak a dish.

They were great about the recent HD upgrades, I got 3 HD DVR's basically free, installed. Of coarse all the installers did was show up and plug in the new receivers, everything else was already done.

I think a lot of the problems people have with DirecTv is really with the contract installers, and let's face it, it's probably hard to hire qualified people for what they are probably getting paid.

DT

dtforever
11-07-2008, 09:26 AM
You have to know how to deal with DirectTV. The magic word is "Dish". Invoke it early and invoke it often. They'll send a catered meal to your house if you say "Dish" 12x.

This is true. When I first signed up, I was suppose to get NFL Sunday Ticket free as a promotion, when I got billed for it, I called them up, and went through the same type of 45 minute robot BS. Finally, I said screw it, I'll go to dish. They give me the whole "you will have to pay cancellation" bit, to which I just said fine, whatever it takes. At that point, they became much more willing to work with me, and I ended up getting more than just the ticket. That was 5 years ago, and was the only problem I have ever had with them.

mounged
11-07-2008, 10:43 AM
We have direct tv for one reason and it is called the NFL network. Time Warner still will not get it. When I went to cancel my Time Warner and told them they lost me because of it they actually lied to me and told me that they were getting it in three months. That was a year and a half ago and still they do not have it.

Bwana
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
So you seriously didn't mean to add all those smileys? That is really strange that you can't see them. Perhaps a mod could explain this.

Yeah, I am dead serious. I may toss around one smile every other post, but not 19 fricken smiles. I wrote it in word and did the cut and past thing. I have no idea what the hell went on there.

morphius
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
He obviously wrote it in something else, copied and pasted it it, but for some reason every carriage return ended up being a smiley. In other words, I really got nuthin, but even editing the post was odd.

Lzen
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Ah, Word. Now it makes sense. So that begs to question why you did the post in Word and then copied it over here. Why not just type it here in the first place? Oh well.

Personally, I have been a satisfied customer of Dish Network since 2004. Although I never have had the problems with installers, I have had billing issues. I think any big company tends to have those things crop up at times. Makes you wonder how much extra $$$ they make from the customers who don't bother to call them and question charges.

Demonpenz
11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
one of my friends works for dtv and he told me for a fact they make 14.3 billion dollars a year scamming overcharge fees

kepp
11-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I had DirecTV for a several years and they were great for a while. But they started going downhill noticeably until we finally switched to Dish Network a few months ago. From my experience, DirecTV *will* try to nickel-and-dime you to death.

SAUTO
11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I am dead serious. I may toss around one smile every other post, but not 19 fricken smiles. I wrote it in word and did the cut and past thing. I have no idea what the hell went on there.

HELL i read this thread this morning (before 10:45) and i saw NO smilies??? WTF???

Sully
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Everyone I know using a dish has problems when it rains.
A few years ago a guy in River Falls who installed them in Iowa was talking to us about it, and I asked, and he gave some weird answer about the frequency of raindrops and the frequency of the signal interfering. Is this true?
I'd love to switch to satellite, but my fear is the thing going out every time there is bad weather.

dtforever
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
A few years ago a guy in River Falls who installed them in Iowa was talking to us about it, and I asked, and he gave some weird answer about the frequency of raindrops and the frequency of the signal interfering. Is this true?
I'd love to switch to satellite, but my fear is the thing going out every time there is bad weather.

I only lose signal when it rains really, really hard, and rarely lasts more than a few minutes.

DeepPurple
11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Last night was my first big problem with Directv. I turned on the NFL Network HD channel 212 about 6:30 getting ready to watch the Browns/Broncos game. It said, "721 channel not subscribed to" I switched over to the basic channel 212 and there was a picture. I called Directv and the guy said, his last caller had that same problem, I'll send a signal to your box, within a couple of seconds the HD picture came on. He said, with a game tonight this might be a long night. Well, at exactly 8:00 while I'm watching the pregame, the picture goes off and the 721 sign comes up. I get up to grap the phone and while I'm on hold the picture comes back in about a minute. Same thing happened again at exactly 10:00 and 11:00, I'm going to send them an email today.

I first went HD in 2005 with Comcast. Last January after the NFL Network Thursday night games ended, Comcast took down the NFL Network HD channel 246 and left only basic digital channel 180. I called Comcast and said the NFL Network still has a lot of HD programming, including the Senior Bowl practices and Senior Bowl game this Saturday. They responded that my my area didn't qualify for HD service after the football season, I said this area is an NFL team city, the Ravens, and your charging $2 a month extra for the NFL Network in addition to requiring digital cable.

Needless to say, I switched to Directv last spring. With 2 HD sets and all the premium movie channels I was paying $142 to Comcast and only received 27 HD channels total. With Direct I have about 80 HD channels in my favorites list, of which 16 alone are premium movie channels compared to just 4 with Comcast, and my bill is only $135 which is for two HD TV's and a third non-HD TV. However, I'm only paying about $113 since I have a $23 rebate the first 12 months, and I had earlier received all the movie channels for free the first three months, that was another $42 off the bill.

DTLB58
11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Absolutely horable in my expirences!

I won't go into all of them, been there, done that on here before.

Bottom line, If they didn't have Sunday ticket they wouldn't have me as a customer.

The worst customer service in history!

Mosbonian
11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
one of my friends works for dtv and he told me for a fact they make 14.3 billion dollars a year scamming overcharge fees

DTV didn't make that much money last year overall....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Time Warner all the way baby!!

For the sake of the people who have had to hear my horror story of dealing with Time Warner umpteen times on here, I will spare them.

Let's just suffice to say that Time Warner's Customer Service would make DTV's look like the Malcolm Baldridge Award winner.

mmaddog

MIAdragon
11-07-2008, 05:48 PM

every time is rains it goes out, and my signal strength is at 97-98.

ChiefsCountry
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Parent's have DirectTV and havent had any problems with them. Had them since 95 or 96. I have freaking Mediacom and have been on those jerkoffs about every other week.

Rain Man
11-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Anything involved in cell phones or telecommunications is a ripoff scam run by lesser primates. A company that provided good service, or even bad service with some customer honesty and respect, would clean up. Relative to current service levels, we'd all be delighted to hear, "You want an upgrade, sir? Let me spin this big wheel to see what price we charge you for it." Or maybe, "You're not getting any rececption? Y'know, you'd be better off moving to another state." At least then we'd have an honest relationship.

Rain Man
11-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm also wondering what bwana's TV looks like. Is it a console...

http://www.atlantaantiques.net/images/motorola-17f2wa-radio-phonograph-television.jpg

...or maybe a portable?

http://www.mikesporertv.com/images/tv_philco.jpg

Mosbonian
11-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Parent's have DirectTV and havent had any problems with them. Had them since 95 or 96. I have freaking Mediacom and have been on those jerkoffs about every other week.

Mediacom= Great internet service, but horrible Cable service

mmaddog

Bwana
11-08-2008, 10:42 AM

...or maybe a portable?

LMAO

Hey! It's old, but not that old. Mitsubishi 65" widescreen. If my wife had her way, I would be sporting a 19" TV so she could haul in some extra useless stick of furniture.

Not going to happen.

SAUTO
11-08-2008, 03:19 PM
LMAO

Hey! It's old, but not that old. Mitsubishi 65" widescreen. If my wife had her way, I would be sporting a 19" TV so she could haul in some extra useless stick of furniture.

Not going to happen.

i've got that same unit. has worked great for me i think it's 3-4 years old. never had ANY issue.

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2008, 03:37 PM

mmaddog

Actually our internet is our main problem. It never works, forces us to borrow from the neighbors.

Rausch
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM

mmaddog

That's what I've found. Oh, and their phone service was worse than $3it and didn't work 1/2 the time.

Bwana
11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
i've got that same unit. has worked great for me i think it's 3-4 years old. never had ANY issue.

Well God help you if you have these ass clowns drop by for a little install.

Ultra Peanut
11-08-2008, 06:51 PM
No, Pastor, HD does not require two wires. The DVR requires two wires.But who the FUCK can live without a DVR these days?

Ultra Peanut
11-08-2008, 06:52 PM

http://www.atlantaantiques.net/images/motorola-17f2wa-radio-phonograph-television.jpg

...or maybe a portable?

http://www.mikesporertv.com/images/tv_philco.jpgI want an LCD TV designed like that. Or at least a computer monitor.

Skip Towne
11-08-2008, 07:55 PM
That is an old wives tale. The raindrops simply block the signal the same as a tree does.

Skip Towne
11-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I've been on the road the last two days and staying in motels. I don't see how people can stand cable. Shitty picture and no on screen program guide. Spent all night changing channels looking for something to watch. I'm glad to be home.

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2008, 08:28 PM
LMAO

Not going to happen.

My parents got that exact tv. Its a good one.

Time's Yours
11-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I've been on the road the last two days and staying in motels. I don't see how people can stand cable. Shitty picture and no on screen program guide. Spent all night changing channels looking for something to watch. I'm glad to be home.

You serious? Ever heard of digital cable? It came out, I don't know, a little under a decade ago.

IMO, Time Warner has a much better on screen program guide than DTV. On Demand is way better than PPV, cable continues to work during storms, there's no ugly dish outside your house, and no contract.

I was extemely happy when I moved and had too many trees so I was able to get out of my DTV contract.

Skip Towne
11-08-2008, 09:39 PM
You serious? Ever heard of digital cable? It came out, I don't know, a little under a decade ago.

IMO, Time Warner has a much better on screen program guide than DTV. On Demand is way better than PPV, cable continues to work during storms, there's no ugly dish outside your house, and no contract.

I was extemely happy when I moved and had too many trees so I was able to get out of my DTV contract.

Well those motels certainly didn't have digital cable and they had no program guide. It was terrible.

Rain Man
11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I want an LCD TV designed like that. Or at least a computer monitor.

I've had the same thought. I wonder if there's a business idea there.

SAUTO
11-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Well God help you if you have these ass clowns drop by for a little install.

no the same TV

JOhn
11-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm glad u got it resolved Bwana. Of course it always makes for a great read when you solve a problem. Think it would make a great book if we compile all your problem solving skills in a "how too" book. Especially the chapter on dealing with punk kids.

Bob Dole
11-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Can anyone else get logged in to the DirecTV.com website this morning? Bob Dole forgot to set his DVR to record the game, and can't get logged in to set the thing up from the web.

Reerun_KC
11-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Yep BobDole, works just fine for me...

Bob Dole
11-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Yep BobDole, works just fine for me...

Thanks. Must be an issue with Mom's ISP.

Reerun_KC
11-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks. Must be an issue with Mom's ISP.

could be?

anything you need me to help you with? if so PM me the details and I can log in and help you?