PDA

View Full Version : Football Roger Goodell, NFLPA set for 18-game faceoff

bowener
11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere under the Football prefix or the Chiefs prefix.

Sorry for the weird article layout; best I can do.

Sorry if Reeeeepost.

Roger Goodell, NFLPA set for 18-game faceoff

Sunday, November 2nd 2008, 12:07 AM

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell must deal with the economic ramifications of a potential 18-game NFL schedule.

<!-- ARTICLE CONTENT START --> By the 2010 season, the NFL is likely to drop two of the dreadful preseason games that makes the league look so bad and increase the regular season to 18 games. But before that can happen, Roger Goodell and the NFLPA must resolve a difficult economic difference: Should the players get what they play for?

The players get 60% of the league's revenue put into the salary cap. Goodell says whether the season is broken down into four preseason games and 16 regular season games or two preseason games and 18 regular season games, the players will still get 60% of the revenue. Thus, he says, even though they are playing two more regular season games, they should not get an automatic raise where their base salary would be 18 times their per-game pay instead of 16. If a player is making a $1.6 million base salary, which is $100,000 a game, the NFLPA will argue the salary should jump to $1.8 million, while Goodell says any extra money will come as a function of the salary cap system. "If there is more revenue, you get a piece of that," Goodell said.

The NFL is not changing the structure of the season simply because the preseason games stink and too many players are getting hurt. Those are factors, of course, but more regular season inventory certainly means more television revenue. The ticket revenue wouldn't change because teams are already charging regular season prices for the preseason games, which are barely more than rookie scrimmages. If the league gives the networks more regular season games, the anticipation is the money they pay to show the games would increase. And 60% would then be turned over to the players.
Richard Berthelsen, the interim executive director of the NFLPA until Gene Upshaw's to-be-determined permanent replacement takes over in March, says the players will never go for that approach because it won't impact players with long-term deals. "It doesn't help a player who signed a five-year contract," he said. "He is playing more games, but his contract is based on 16 games. If they increase to 17 or 18 games, their salary has to be increased. Divide their salary by 16, that is the per game pay. Whatever the number of games, add to that amount. That is our position." Berthelsen notes that players who are free agents will go into negotiations being able to take advantage of increased revenue. "They are going to negotiate with additional regular season games in mind," he said. "Guys who are under contract or stuck with tenders they can't negotiate, they have a right to additional compensation. Veteran players say the wear and tear on their bodies from regular season games is a multiple of 2 to 5 to 10 of the wear and tear they have in preseason games."

Goodell says the players are already being paid for a 20-game season and their salaries reflect that, even if many of them are not playing much in the preseason. "They are getting paid for that," he said. "That's in their salaries. It's like you getting a paycheck every two weeks. It doesn't mean you weren't paid the week before. So it does compensate them playing a 20-game season and their participating in that." Players start collecting their salaries when the regular season starts. They get nominal money during training camp. If the season goes to 18 games, Goodell says he understands the union's position, but disagrees. "They want to keep their 60% of all the revenues and get two more paychecks added to it," he said. "If this was an hourly job and I was asking you to come in two more days, obviously I'm going to pay you more for that. That's not the circumstance here. This is not the hourly worker who is now being asked to work two more days."

One thing for the union to consider: An expanded regular-season schedule is expected to lead to an increase in the 53-man roster. More jobs for the players. There is a clause in the collective bargaining agreement that says if there is an increase from 16 regular season games, then it is required there is "negotiating with the NFLPA with regard to additional compensation to be paid to players for additional regular season games." So add this to the list of the many volatile items Goodell and the union will have to resolve. Goodell discussed this issue with the player advisory committee, which includes Jets fullback Tony Richardson, in a conference call 10 days ago. The schedule restructuring won't occur until 2010 at the earliest. The regular season would still start the weekend after Labor Day. Training camps would open later and there is the possibility of a two-week break between the last preseason game and the first regular season game. The Super Bowl would be pushed back until the third Sunday in February.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2008/11/01/2008-11-01_roger_goodell_nflpa_set_for_18game_faceo.html?page=2

Buck
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Regardless of the economics of the thing, how are the teams going to have enough time to evaluate to cut-down the rosters?

Maybe they'll add a couple scrimmages earlier in training camp...

Agent V
11-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I'd love an 18-game season. The Chiefs will never go 13-3 again.

bowener
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd love an 18-game season. The Chiefs will never go 13-3 again.

Or 8-8!! PBJ

CrazyPhuD
11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
But we can still go 8-10!

ElGringo
11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I guess I don't get it, NFL players are on salary. I know everywhere I have worked, everyone hated going on salary because that means no Overtime pay. I guess to me, I would look at this as 2 games overtime for the remainder of your contract, and of course that would be something to take into account in the next contract negotiation. I do feel sorry for the people locked into their deal when it starts, but players should now start considering the possibility of increased games in their current contract negotiations.

KCrockaholic
11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
nooo! we will be the first to have the 9-9 curse! oh well, 18 games sound great

whoman69
11-07-2008, 03:57 PM
They always make the argument about the 18 game schedule and injuries. Which is more likely, that a star player is injured playing a couple of series for 2 games, or 2 more full games?

ChiefsCountry
11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
9-9 Baby!

Soupnazi
11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
In a related story, they've announced that you'll have to get the NFL network to see the two extra games, and season tickets will go up by an "appropriate" amount to reflect that you're now paying for two extra real games.

Basileus777
11-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I hate the idea of expanding the season. I think 16 games is perfect.

Fuck Roger Goodell, what a disaster of a commissioner.

MOhillbilly
11-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I hate the idea of expanding the season. I think 16 games is perfect.

**** Roger Goodell, what a disaster of a commissioner.

agreed. just cut the other two pre season games. we all know thatll never happen.
18 games in the NFL is great till your super stars have 5 year careers and the clubs are filled with even less talent. hell expand another two clubs while they are at it.
retards.

BigChiefFan
11-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I would imagine those complaining about extra games, don't have season tickets. If you did, I'm certain you would change your mind, once you discovered you HAVE to PURCHASE the preseason games AND they're FULL PRICE-same as a regular season game. Now, that 18 game season isn't so bad, when consider VALUE.

bango
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
agreed. just cut the other two pre season games. we all know thatll never happen.
18 games in the NFL is great till your super stars have 5 year careers and the clubs are filled with even less talent. hell expand another two clubs while they are at it.
retards.

You can not forget the extra bye week that they will now need.

Bugeater
11-07-2008, 06:43 PM
retards.

Yep, it's going to result in an even more watered down league than we have now. The last round of expansion was stupid, 30 teams was enough.

DaneMcCloud
11-07-2008, 06:48 PM
That's just too many games.

This is a BAD idea.

Tribal Warfare
11-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Like others have said, once star players start dropping like flies Goodell will change his tune.

ChiefGator
11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Like others have said, once star players start dropping like flies Goodell will change his tune.

Aren't they already? Sure seems like there are alot of injuries this year.

I like 16 games, and I agree with any more games you would need another bye week. Damn, I never thought I'ld say this, but it would make the NFL season to long. And each game would lose a little bit of their significance.

Chiefaholic
11-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I like it... The season it too damn short the way it is.

ArrowheadHawk
11-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Yep, it's going to result in an even more watered down league than we have now. The last round of expansion was stupid, 30 teams was enough.

I actually like the way the system works now with scheduling. 32 teams makes 8 even divisions. And the scheduling works out nicely guaranteeing that you play every team every 4 years.

chiefs1111
11-07-2008, 07:34 PM
great,the Chiefs can have even more loses,lol

chiefs1111
11-07-2008, 07:35 PM
They should just leave it right where it is at 16 games and shorten preseason to 2 games

the Talking Can
11-07-2008, 07:36 PM
foot ball is too brutal for 18 weeks....especially when they can cut your ass any time

lots of careers will be shortened

Ari FAUXbia
11-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Great now we can go 1-17.

Valiant
11-07-2008, 11:08 PM
In a related story, they've announced that you'll have to get the NFL network to see the two extra games, and season tickets will go up by an "appropriate" amount to reflect that you're now paying for two extra real games.

Actually I could see the owners trying this shit..

I want it to stay 16games.. If they go 18, they need to break down the NFL into era's..