PDA

View Full Version : Football Could the spread offense catch on in the NFL?

Direckshun
11-09-2008, 11:05 AM
A team like the Chiefs has really turned around a terrible offense and a young, inconsistent rookie QB by adopting it, although it is going to struggle against the Charger's complex 3-4.

But if the Chiefs can improve that much.... why couldn't many other teams as well?

Bowser
11-09-2008, 11:11 AM
The way I look at it is that so many prominent college teams are switching to the spread taht it would just make sense to keep some variation of the spread going through the NFL, just because the young kids will be more adept and comfortable with it.

Basileus777
11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
To a certain degree it already has, look at the Patriots and Packers, particularly last year.

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2008, 11:25 AM
To a certain degree it already has, look at the Patriots and Packers, particularly last year.

Bingo. The Pats operated out of the shotgun last year something like 70% of the time.

KCrockaholic
11-09-2008, 11:26 AM
yes, the spread shall always be used in the NFL by a team. It could easily catch on, but a lot of teams have been using a version on the spread anyways. Pittsburgh (which is similar to ours) New England, Denver has used spread more often lately as well. Its a great offense, if used correctly.

Zebedee DuBois
11-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Its a great offense, if used correctly.

Enter the Herm factor.

KCrockaholic
11-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Enter the Herm factor.

so far i dont think Harm has done anything wrong with the spread. Hes been letting Gailey pull the trigger, if something implodes, itll be Gaileys fault this time.

eazyb81
11-09-2008, 11:39 AM
After seeing NFL teams implement the wildcat/wildhog formation this year, anything is possible. It's nice to see teams thinking outside the box for once.

Reerun_KC
11-09-2008, 11:39 AM
so far i dont think Harm has done anything wrong with the spread. Hes been letting Gailey pull the trigger, if something implodes, itll be Gaileys fault this time.

Well I am sure there is always more room under the bus for Herms coordinators...

SAUTO
11-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Well I am sure there is always more room under the bus for Herms coordinators...

or players....

SAUTO
11-09-2008, 11:58 AM
anyone but herm

Reerun_KC
11-09-2008, 12:02 PM
IF used properly it could be very successful. Which means teams that run the traditional power running game will be come very very rare and would only be ran by teams that have a very poor level of coaching...

You have to adjust in the NFL.

milkman
11-09-2008, 12:06 PM

The Chiefs have run the spread effectively in the first half, and become very passive on offense in the second half, which allowed the Jets and Bucs the opportunity to win at the end.

That has Herman fucking Edwards' stamp on it.

The Chiefs D isn't good enough, and the rules favor offenses so much, that failing to remain aggressive when you have a lead is now, more than ever, a formula for failure.

Reerun_KC
11-09-2008, 12:09 PM
The Chiefs have run the spread effectively in the first half, and become very passive on offense in the second half, which allowed the Jets and Bucs the opportunity to win at the end.

That has Herman ****ing Edwards' stamp on it.

The Chiefs D isn't good enough, and the rules favor offenses so much, that failing to remain aggressive when you have a lead is now, more than ever, a formula for failure.

Whats sad about it is, the lack of failure to adjust your whole philosophy to the modern day NFL is what really disturbs me about moving forward with Herm.

Proof is in your post.

KcMizzou
11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
The way I look at it is that so many prominent college teams are switching to the spread taht it would just make sense to keep some variation of the spread going through the NFL, just because the young kids will be more adept and comfortable with it.The weird thing is that it started at the highschool level, and has worked it's way up to become the big thing at the college level.

I don't see why it couldn't work in the NFL... but NFL coaches seem to be pretty set in their ways.

JBucc
11-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I think "Spread" is more of a philosophy than an actual offense. You can do all types of things out of spread formations and yes I think many of them would work great in the NFL as many teams are proving.

Mr. Laz
11-09-2008, 12:47 PM
the spread-ish offense is already in the NFL imo

are they going to the run and shoot spread ..... no, but many teams already "spread" the defense out and pass to set up the run.

11-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Cool, instead of the West Coast Offense it could be called the Midwest Offense. heh

Oh wait, I forgot, we are not the Midwest here. We are the Plains. I still want to know how Minnesota is considered Midwest.

Skip Towne
11-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Mecca's not going to like this.

alanm
11-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Cool, instead of the West Coast Offense it could be called the Midwest Offense. heh

Oh wait, I forgot, we are not the Midwest here. We are the Plains. I still want to know how Minnesota is considered Midwest.
I consider every thing east of the Mississippi river the Mid East. :D

KCFalcon59
11-09-2008, 01:23 PM

So you're saying Herm wants to use the Plain offense.

Deberg_1990
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Its probably just this generations Run N Shoot.

Bowser
11-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Chuck n Duck

ChiefsCountry
11-09-2008, 01:48 PM
The true spread offense will not work in the NFL bc it involves the option.

Stewie
11-09-2008, 02:11 PM
In college, teams can run the "spread" play after play with success. Won't happen in the NFL. There are too many great athletes on the other side of the ball to blow it up, and it's pretty simple to defend because run plays are too slow to develop.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-09-2008, 03:52 PM
A team like the Chiefs has really turned around a terrible offense and a young, inconsistent rookie QB by adopting it, although it is going to struggle against the Charger's complex 3-4.

But if the Chiefs can improve that much.... why couldn't many other teams as well?

Do you know what the Erhardt-Perkins offense is?

Mecca
11-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Basically...

The variation you see the NFL use is the same thing the run and shoot teams used, you won't see any pure run and shoot teams now as no one will not carry TE's.

And no one will run a true college spread because no NFL team is going to run the zone read play.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Basically...

The variation you see the NFL use is the same thing the run and shoot teams used, you won't see any pure run and shoot teams now as no one will not carry TE's.

And no one will run a true college spread because no NFL team is going to run the zone read play.

Well, that's basically what the Wildcat is. It's a triple option, zone read.

Mecca
11-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, that's basically what the Wildcat is. It's a triple option, zone read.

Yes but I mean they won't let their QB run that play.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes but I mean they won't let their QB run that play.

Correct.

Besides, the zone read only works because college defenses can be timed with a sundial. I hate watching that play because it takes 5 seconds for someone on the d to recognize it and get there. In the NFL, that play would be blown up in the backfield every time.

Pitt Gorilla
11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
People on here have told me over and over it will never happen in the NFL.

Mecca
11-09-2008, 04:27 PM
People on here have told me over and over it will never happen in the NFL.

The closest you'll get is the run and shoot which I guess the NFL thought so much of it got phased out several years ago.

suds79
11-09-2008, 06:46 PM

I think the biggest myth in the NFL is that "the spread won't work in the NFL" or that it's not already here.

The Pats with Tom Brady run it, the Saints run it and now we run it.

I think the difference you'll see from college to NFL is that NFL teams will sprinkle in more "traditional" sets as they get in the red zone more so than in college.