PDA

View Full Version : Life Christmas spending....what's your outlook?

RJ
11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Just wondering how Planeteers see their holiday spending this year. I know ours will be way down. I think for the first time we'll have to set some strict spending limits. That will be hard for me, I'm usually pretty carefree when it comes to Christmas gifts. But as long as the family is together and my daughter enjoys herself I'm sure it will be fine.

What's Santa looking like at your place?

Buehler445
11-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Eh I'm doing my best to keep it down as much as possible. My family is really big on gifts, but my sister and brother are broke ass too, but my parents had a fair year and will probably go way overboard like usual.

My wife's family doesn't do much for gifts, which is good. I prefer it that way. To me, it's more about the family and the religious aspect, but I understand where my mom is coming from with the happiness of the young kids and stuff. My wife's family is forfieting all gifts and taking a trip to KC for a couple days. I think that is a really good idea. It may be an opportunity to save time, and really get back to the family, and hopefully avoid hastle.

Rain Man
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
We probably spend more than average, but will cut back some this year. Not necessarily an economy thing, but rather just trying to save money and we don't really need much.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
the wife and I agreed to forgo gifts to each other in favor of a trip to Mexico in April.

My family has drawn names for years, and hers started last year, so our spending should be pretty low this year.

The Franchise
11-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Considering that the fiance and I have to save money for a new house in April, a trip in April and our upcoming wedding sometime next year.....we won't be spending that much. My parents are declaring this a grandkids only Christmas considering my Dad just got laid off....and my brother just went back to work after a knee injury.....so this could be a small Christmas at everyone's household.

prhom
11-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm probably gonna sink most of my free money into a house so I'm not going to go all out.

Donger
11-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm going to go 90 days overdue on my mortgage, so that frees up some cash to splurge on the kids.

Thanks Rain Man!

sedated
11-11-2008, 06:56 PM
this year there will be a lot of donations to the Human Fund. Money, for people.

stevieray
11-11-2008, 06:56 PM
we've been toning it down the last few years and putting the balance into a Christmas program at our Church that gets presents to kids who otherwise wouldn't receive any...might take the girls out and give money away to people who look like they could use it...

kc rush
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I love Christmas and have always been a pretty big spender (I love spoiling my kids), but I won't be doing as much this year since I had the layoff and we are in the process of moving.

Rain Man
11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm going to go 90 days overdue on my mortgage, so that frees up some cash to splurge on the kids.

Thanks Rain Man!

Coincidentally, I too have been pondering missing a few house payments. Apparently, if I'm on the verge of foreclosure, they'll lower my loan amount. I might end up liking this bailout in the long run.

Bugeater
11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I'll be my usual tight-ass self. I may just go out of town this year and skip the family bullshit altogether.

Skip Towne
11-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Coincidentally, I too have been pondering missing a few house payments. Apparently, if I'm on the verge of foreclosure, they'll lower my loan amount. I might end up liking this bailout in the long run.

Obama will take your ill gotten gains away from you.

Rain Man
11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Obama will take your ill gotten gains away from you.

No, no. I'll be poor then, so I'll get free money from him. I know how to work the system.

RJ
11-11-2008, 07:51 PM
No, no. I'll be poor then, so I'll get free money from him. I know how to work the system.

You oughta get poor right now. They're handing out billion dollar bills like they're chump change.

Have you ever seen a billion dollar bill?

Rain Man
11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
You oughta get poor right now. They're handing out billion dollar bills like they're chump change.

Have you ever seen a billion dollar bill?

In all seriousness, I have actually pondered writing my corrupt senator and asking for 0.001 percent of the bailout money. I could retire on $7 million and no one would even miss it.

PinkFloyd
11-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm spending more than normal... One of the gifts will actually be givin' out this coming Sunday... :)

88TG88
11-11-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm not planning on spending much.

If other people don't spend this Christmas I have a feeling I'll get the axe.

Buehler445
11-11-2008, 09:21 PM

Same boat here dude.

Iowanian
11-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll continue working a little extra on the side jobs for cash...I'm funding concrete patios, need to get a deck up before winter.

I'll work a little extra to make Christmas just fine.

I intended to say I was putting my Christmas into the house, but I accidently went to the hunting store the other day because I got cold and came home with a new cold weather camo set and a decoy that I hate.

I bought the wife a piece of furniture she wanted from Craigslist, and we'll give our girls a nice Christmas, but not spoil them...wouldn't if I was a millionaire.

Our Christmas will probably be about normal when it all shakes out.

The only place likely to get a cut will be the amount we give to a local thing that we do privately.

KcFanInGA
11-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Hmm...I hope my kids like to color! Or eat...but not both.

ChiefsCountry
11-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I dont spend a ton mainly bc its just my parents and little sis. Last year went on a nice present with my sister for the parents hopefully we can do that again this year. Its a hell lot easier just to write the check to her than it is to shop.

RJ
11-12-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm not worried about getting the ax personally.....my concern is for the company I work for going OB.

What kind of work do you do?

munkey
11-12-2008, 10:28 AM
bought a family ski pass last year and spent extra cash throughout the year on the wife and kids ski clothes and equipment. so...i guess you could say my gift to the family is the ability to go skiing all winter without taking it in the shorts.

I would say when it's all said and done it cost me about $4k but since that's with all the gear next year will only round out to be around 1k for the season :-)

Reerun_KC
11-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Probably around $1000 total on the wife, kids and myself..

Rest of the family? Less than $250......

raybec 4
11-12-2008, 10:42 AM
this year there will be a lot of donations to the Human Fund. Money, for people.

Festivus for the rest of us.

Stewie
11-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Festivus for the rest of us.

Airing of grievances is free.

Bearcat
11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm usually a pretty big spender when it comes to my parents, siblings, and a few close friends, and I'll probably spend the same or a little more this year. Then again, I've been away from family most of the year, so seeing me should be present enough, right? :D

Reerun_KC
11-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm usually a pretty big spender when it comes to my parents, siblings, and a few close friends, and I'll probably spend the same or a little more this year. Then again, I've been away from family most of the year, so seeing me should be present enough, right? :D

As long as you have a reciept for yourself, Just incase?:)

El Jefe
11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm a big spender, but I don't make a lot of money. I am very frugal with my money, so I have money when I need them for bills, or unexpected things. I always tighten up the straps around Christmas, and I just love to give people gifts and spend time with the family. Last year I went way over-board, and spent over 2k. That did include my nieces and nephews, and my cousins, so I had quite a few to buy for. I need to do more for the kids in the community whose family can't afford to buy them gifts, or even hats and gloves sometimes.

Mr. Plow
11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Typically, I love spoiling my kids. This year, probably will again, but in a different way.

Going to do one big Santa gift and then a bunch of little things. Oldest is getting a Wii - the two younger boys are getting new bikes - and the daughter.....I'm trying to turn her into a boy, so she's getting some army gear.

KcMizzou
11-12-2008, 11:44 AM
It's always been kind of understood in my family that everybody take care of the kids first and formost. This year won't really be much different.

Sure-Oz
11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I won't have the money to buy shit this year...but normally i spend hundreds of dollars on friends/gf/family.

Buck
11-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Sucks to get kicked out of your house right before Christmas, and to have your Rent go up about $800.

Nobody in my family is going to be able to afford gifts this year, oh well.

Bearcat
11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
As long as you have a reciept for yourself, Just incase?:)

They broke the mold when they made me... and then dragged the mold-maker to the middle of the street, beat him senseless, and went out of business... but I guess there's always eBay? :shrug:

ottawa_chiefs_fan
11-12-2008, 01:13 PM
More:

http://www.sileo.com/wp-content/uploads/scrooge.jpg

Less:

http://www.gmpdc.org/webquests/johnson/bahhumbug_files/image017.jpg

StcChief
11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Coincidentally, I too have been pondering missing a few house payments. Apparently, if I'm on the verge of foreclosure, they'll lower my loan amount. I might end up liking this bailout in the long run.yeah.... I heard you can pay 38% of your actual current mortgage to go under for 5 years and then re-negoitate. It was the Obama laugher yesterday

11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
We have a christmas account that we put into monthly directly from our paycheck so we will spend the same as we always have.

11-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Coincidentally, I too have been pondering missing a few house payments. Apparently, if I'm on the verge of foreclosure, they'll lower my loan amount. I might end up liking this bailout in the long run. Screw all the responsible people. Gotta love that message.

RJ
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Screw all the responsible people. Gotta love that message.

Yeah, but the plan from Fannie and Freddie is that they'll reduce your payment by turning your 30 year mortgage into a 40 year mortgage. So you get to have Christmas but when you die the bank gets the house.

That's where thet get ya.

11-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah, but the plan from Fannie and Freddie is that they'll reduce your payment by turning your 30 year mortgage into a 40 year mortgage. So you get to have Christmas but when you die the bank gets the house.

That's where thet get ya.just proves that people are stupid.

RJ
11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
just proves that people are stupid.

You needed proof? :D

11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
You needed proof? :D Yeah, I generally just look outside to remind myself I am surrounded by idiots.:doh!:

greg63
11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I'll spend my usual amount heh.