PDA

View Full Version : Computers Buy or build?

acesn8s
11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I need a new laptop for school. I have heard that it is worth building your own. Anyone ever try this? Was it worth it? Should I just buy a new one with all of the "extras"? (I don't really want a bunch of crap on my computer.) What components are essential? Please help.

Saulbadguy
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Building a laptop? No.

irishjayhawk
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I need a new laptop for school. I have heard that it is worth building your own. Anyone ever try this? Was it worth it? Should I just buy a new one with all of the "extras"? (I don't really want a bunch of crap on my computer.) What components are essential? Please help.

It's great. You can save tons of money. (For me, now, I go with a Mac because I find the software to be superior in many cases.)

However, back in the day, I built my own tower and it was pretty sweet. It's also very easy. And it's definitely cheaper.

Motherboard
CPU
CPU fan
RAM
HDD
Video Card
Audio card (optional)
DVD/BluRay drive(s)

I don't think I forgot anything. I'd recommend at least 2GB RAM (especially at those prices)

Edit; I see you said laptop. No, you can't build one.

acesn8s
11-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Building a laptop? No.So I should start locating the best deal?

Saulbadguy
11-12-2008, 12:46 PM
So I should should locating the best deal?

Yes, focus on the best deal and what is important to you. I haven't gone laptop shopping in quite some time so I don't know what deals are out there, but in short, no, you should not attempt to build your own laptop.

acesn8s
11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Where are the best places to have one built? Is it worth the price?

Fish
11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Start at Pricewatch...

http://www.pricewatch.com/notebooks/

You can sort by CPU, price, screen size, etc. Most of those aren't really "customizable" laptops that they would build for you, but you'll likely find what you're looking for. Due to proprietary parts that go into laptops, you can't just "build" one from a pile of parts.

Also check all the usual sites such as Newegg, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc. for specials they may be running.

DaFace
11-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Start at Pricewatch...

http://www.pricewatch.com/notebooks/

You can sort by CPU, price, screen size, etc. Most of those aren't really "customizable" laptops that they would build for you, but you'll likely find what you're looking for. Due to proprietary parts that go into laptops, you can't just "build" one from a pile of parts.

Also check all the usual sites such as Newegg, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc. for specials they may be running.

For the second half there, I like http://www.salescircular.com. They aggregate all the specials put out by the various stores in one place.

Fezzic
11-12-2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.pctorque.com/

I've built one through this site and sent a friend through as well...very, very solid, quality components, and good prices.

The other thing to do is watch stuff like the dell outlet. You can buy the laptops through there and then buy the same 3-4 year accidental damage warranty as a new one (inventory updates continuously, so you can check every few minutes) :) The dell accidental damage replacement plan = new laptop a few years in the future, and it's completely worth a little bit of money right up front~ I had an xps gen 2 that was approaching 3 years old and got a brand new xps rig when heat problems killed it. Very good support experiences for me, but have heard problems as well.

Psyko Tek
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
why can't we build laptops

I've looked for parts and they don't have then were I get my other PC parts
why not?

DaFace
11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
why can't we build laptops

I've looked for parts and they don't have then were I get my other PC parts
why not?

There's no set form factor for laptop motherboards since they cram them into all sorts of small cases. Not to mention that the cooling systems in laptops have to be pretty much custom-engineered for each case since there's no room in there for a big heat sink.