PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Do you pay attention to a movie's score (music) while watching?

irishjayhawk
11-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Seriously. I do. And it makes a world of difference.

However, my brother contends it's only applicable to hard core movie critics.

So, I was wondering if others do.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Uh...

My parent's don't. They don't get it at all. I've asked other people and it doesn't seem to be important.

To ME, it's just as important as the acting and the direction, hence the composer is listed with those principles.

irishjayhawk
11-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Uh...

I knew your response. Yours doesn't count. Ass.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2008, 11:46 PM
I knew your response. Yours doesn't count. Ass.

I figured as much

:D

PS - I had Katsu-Ya Sunday night. Jealous? :evil:

irishjayhawk
11-12-2008, 11:50 PM
I figured as much

PS - I had Katsu-Ya Sunday night. Jealous? :evil:

Yes, I am.

You should have had the tuna-steak with Japanese Salsa. Mmmmmm. Mmmm.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Yes, I am.

You should have had the tuna-steak with Japanese Salsa. Mmmmmm. Mmmm.

We did. :D

And about $75 dollars worth of other stuff.

Seriously, lemme know when you're out here next time.

With more than 2 days of warning!

TrickyNicky
11-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Well... A good score can make a good movie great.

However, a bad score doesn't necessarily make a good movie horrible.

You really appreciate the amount of composition the big studios produce when you see a lot of movies from Korea and Hong Kong that have these horrible generic sounding songs. They aren't bad movies at all, but you do tend to notice how annoyingly bad the music is. Seriously, it sounds like they have one guy with a synth chain-smoking while pounding out endless generic "dramatic" tones and lame guitar riffs.

ChiefJustice
11-13-2008, 12:04 AM
John Williams has made a career out of it.

Imagine a John Carpenter film like Halloween without his simple notes on a keyboard.

It enhances the motion of a story when done right.

Jawshco
11-13-2008, 12:06 AM
To me it seems like the visual effects in movies focus primary on external vectors, whereas the sound track affects the internal vector. It intensifies the moment and probes deeper into the emotion of the scene. It can also change the tone of a film. The same shot with different music will have a different feel. I think the reason most people don't think about soundtracks is because they blend so much into the movie experience that they're almost like invisible composers that direct our internal emotions. People get effectively manipulated by the music and they don't even know it. Those of us that are consious of the soundtrack are less manipulated and more aware of its presence and intent.

Miles
11-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Definitely. Depends a little on the genre but its absolutely important.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-13-2008, 12:11 AM
I've always been a sucker for Morricone.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 12:12 AM
John Williams has made a career out of it.

Imagine a John Carpenter film like Halloween without his simple notes on a keyboard.

It enhances the motion of a story when done right.

The difference is that 30 years later, we all know and can sing nearly every John Williams theme from the 70's, be it Star Wars, Jaws, Close Encounters or Superman.

John Carpenter is associated with cheez. Cheesy Moog synths, no melody and generally, just a bunch of noise.

That doesn't make his films irrelevant. It just makes his music sound extremely dated and it certainly doesn't stand the test of time.

Miles
11-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I've always been a sucker for Morricone.

Same here.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Same here.

Watch this up until he starts shooting the jacket in the field (about 4 mins in). My favorite piece of his music.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLNrSC4lets&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLNrSC4lets&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Music really isn't what sticks with me after a movie. The acting does. With that being said, music is very capable of killing the movie if not done right though.

Basically, I appreciate it during the movie but it is not what really stays with me after it is over. This isn't to say that I don't associate a theme with a title though.

Miles
11-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Watch this up until he starts shooting the jacket in the field (about 4 mins in). My favorite piece of his music.

I have never watched the remake all of the way though but will have to check it out now.

Cinema Paradiso is probably my favorite score of his that doesn't involve a Leone flick.

ChiefJustice
11-13-2008, 12:35 AM
The difference is that 30 years later, we all know and can sing nearly every John Williams theme from the 70's, be it Star Wars, Jaws, Close Encounters or Superman.

John Carpenter is associated with cheez. Cheesy Moog synths, no melody and generally, just a bunch of noise.

That doesn't make his films irrelevant. It just makes his music sound extremely dated and it certainly doesn't stand the test of time.

I agree with you...for the most part.

There aren't alot of movies that can afford to have a Williams' type score and orchestra in it's budget.

Kubrick seemed to pull off the best of both in his films.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 12:42 AM
I agree with you...for the most part.

There aren't alot of movies that can afford to have a Williams' type score and orchestra in it's budget.

Kubrick seemed to pull off the best of both in his films.

It's all about the composer, not the production.

John Carpenter is a fun writer and director. I never turn the channel when "Escape from New York" or "Big Trouble in Little China" is on television. But the music is dated and essentially, butt-cheese. He's a terrible composer, but hey, they're his films. Same goes for classic movies like "Scarface". Horrific score. For me, it ruins the movie.

And your comment about the "orchestra" is inaccurate. Before 1999, every television show composer that needed an orchestra, got an orchestra. Same for films.

Now, unless there's a $50 million dollar budget, "Virtual Instruments", not a real orchestra are used.

ChiefJustice
11-13-2008, 12:57 AM

John Carpenter is a fun writer and director. I never turn the channel when "Escape from New York" or "Big Trouble in Little China" is on television. But the music is dated and essentially, butt-cheese. He's a terrible composer, but hey, they're his films. Same goes for classic movies like "Scarface". Horrific score. For me, it ruins the movie.

And your comment about the "orchestra" is inaccurate. Before 1999, every television show composer that needed an orchestra, got an orchestra. Same for films.

Now, unless there's a $50 million dollar budget, "Virtual Instruments", not a real orchestra are used.

I see your point.

One of my favorite movie scores(nerd alert) was the James Horner theme
for Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan.

The music in that movie was like a character unto itself.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 12:59 AM
I see your point.

James Horner is a legend.

I don't remember that score off the top of my head but that was the best of the six movies, by far.

11-13-2008, 01:01 AM
I see your point.

Now that is a composer I have always liked.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Now that is a composer I have always liked.

Is Titanic your favorite movie of all time?

Jenson71
11-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Yes, I absolutely do.

They can enhance films, and some of the best can stand apart as great music to listen to. However, when I listen to them, I can't disassociate the music from a particular scene in a film, and I don't mind that at all. It recreates a powerful moment in the film that I particularly enjoyed or made a strong impression on me in some way for some reason.

Consider Morricone's Deborah's Theme - listening to that harkens my mind to a long relationship between the two characters that has seen a good share of regret and pain. The music here is romantic, reflective and nostalgic, but also slow and with a deep string making it fundamentally dark. At times the music speeds up a bit, I think, showing that it was so close, but ultimately, it doesn't work out.

Now consider Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia. His theme starts out with the pulsating percussion and clash of instruments, and you instantly see Peter O'Toole's enraged blue eyes screaming "No prisoners!" and then it breaks into that romantic ensemble representing the vastness of the great Arabian deserts.

Another score I like comes from Horner with A Beautiful Mind. The part of this movie I like is his days in college, and that's what I always think about when I listen to this score. The female chant is mystical and inspiring in this, much like math ideas to me. When I listen to this, I see Nash in his room working and studying, and spending leisure time playing Go with fellow brilliant men. It's inspiring to me. I even have a Go set because of this movie.

I like Phillip Glass, and like Horner, he has basic themes that I can never get tired of.

Other scores I enjoy:

- Road to Perdition, Thomas Newman
- The Conversation, David Shire
- The Godfather, Nino Rota

I have a love/hate relationship with movies. I like the idea, I like thinking about them and discussing them. But I have a very hard time actually watching them.

QuikSsurfer
11-13-2008, 01:22 AM
It matters huge.
First movie that comes to mind is 28 Days Later. I would not had enjoyed it nearly as much had it not been for the amazing score (John Murphy).
Where would Tim Burton be without Danny Elfman?

Pablo
11-13-2008, 01:25 AM
It matters huge.
First movie that comes to mind is 28 Days Later. I would not had enjoyed it nearly as much had it not been for the amazing score (John Murphy).
Where would Tim Burton be without Danny Elfman?Me too.

GYBE and Grandaddy...f*cking perfect.

11-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Is Titanic your favorite movie of all time?

Hardly.:spock: But yeah, I liked the music and the historical accounting. The first 90 minutes should be burned though.

ChiefJustice
11-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Yep,Elfman gets the nod.

"Nightmare before Christmas" is an amazing piece of work.

Oingo Boingo,baby!

irishjayhawk
11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Kinda what I figured. More posts in "Movies" thread = greater chance of paying attention to score.

;)

What I've noticed recently is that I pay more attention to songs (rather than score) in movies or tv, primarily tv. It can make or break a song for me. It can also resurrect other songs.

blaise
11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I notice it. I can't stand the music in The Untouchables. I can barely stand to watch the movie because of it. It just dominates the movie.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Kinda what I figured. More posts in "Movies" thread = greater chance of paying attention to score.

;)

What I've noticed recently is that I pay more attention to songs (rather than score) in movies or tv, primarily tv. It can make or break a song for me. It can also resurrect other songs.

That's just good music supervision, which as you know, is entirely independent of the score.

Kathy Nelson & Karyn Rachtman (yes, Ricki Rachtman's sister) made careers for themselves as the co-music supervisors of Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction had no original score. It was all source music.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I love film scores. For me a movie loses a little something if it doesnt have a good score.

I think alot of the current marvel superhero flicks have lacked a decent score.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 11:37 AM

haha..i love Carpenters old scores. yes they are cheesy and simple, but they are perfect for what they are.

Halloween
The Fog
Assault of Precinct 13
Escape from New York
Big Trouble in Little China.
They Live

All great.

Morricone did The Thing, but ironically to me it sounds alot like what Carpenter himself would have done.

Jilly
11-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm convinced all cameron crowe movies would suck if it weren't for their music

phisherman
11-13-2008, 11:41 AM
i enjoyed the score to There Will Be Blood very much.

done by johnny greenwood of radiohead. very stark, very scattered at times, but always effective.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 11:42 AM

Hes alot like Tarantino.

He uses a ton of old classic rock music. Which is great. Its very effective.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 11:43 AM
i enjoyed the score to There Will Be Blood very much.

done by johnny greenwood of radiohead. very stark, very scattered at times, but always effective.

Very strange score. Not sure i liked it all that much, but it was definately different.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 11:46 AM

Almost Famous was brilliant.

Of course, it was a dead-on biographical piece of one of my favorite guitarists of all-time, so I'm a little biased.

I've been told by people who were there that the arguments and dialog in many of the scenes were word-for-word.

Awesome :)

Jilly
11-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Of course, it was a dead-on biographical piece of one of my favorite guitarists of all-time, so I'm a little biased.

I've been told by people who were there that the arguments and dialog in many of the scenes were word-for-word.

Awesome :)

LOVE that movie, along with all his others, but can you imagine that movie without Tiny Dancer?

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 11:56 AM
LOVE that movie, along with all his others, but can you imagine that movie without Tiny Dancer?

Nope.

The thing about Cameron Crowe is that he lived that music, with the artists. He really understands the emotional content and therefore, those artists trust him with their music.

Led Zeppelin and Elton John don't normally allow their music to be used in movies. As an example, the producers of "Dazed and Confused" offered Zeppelin $100,000 (which is a small figure today) to use "Rock & Roll" in their movie.

Zep said no.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 11:56 AM

I agree. Great flick. The "Untitled" DVD is even better. IM a huge Crowe fan.

I even liked parts of Elizabethtown. Mainly because it had a ton of music in it.

Ceej
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM
The music I have noticed above all is the music on 28 Days/Weeks Later.
l

To me, that music helps "make" the movie.

ZepSinger
11-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Absolutely. Thomas Newman's soundtracks in both the Shawshank Redemption and American Beauty are OUTSTANDING. Absolutely contributes to the mood and tone of the movie. Newman is hands-down my favorite movie score composer.

Z

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I agree. Great flick. The "Untitled" DVD is even better. IM a huge Crowe fan

Absolutely. I can't even watch the edited version.

How could you leave out Gillen/Blackmore in the final version?

Jilly
11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree. Great flick. The "Untitled" DVD is even better. IM a huge Crowe fan.

I even liked parts of Elizabethtown. Mainly because it had a ton of music in it.

exactly, again, what would that movie be without the music? That happens to be one of my favorites because each time I watch it I discover a different meaning, but that whole road trip scene and the music that corresponds to each landmark and emotion, it's amazing how he uses it.

Jilly
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM
On a different note, one movie that is amazing because it doesn't use music? Cast Away. Did anyone notice that while he is on the island there is no music at all? I keep trying to think of another movie that has such an absence of music and I can't think of even one.

Sully
11-13-2008, 01:02 PM
The score?
I only really notice it if it's really good. I really like the guy Soderburgh uses (David Holmes).
But soundtrack I almost always notice, and Scorsese and Crowe are the best int he business at putting together GREAT soundtracks.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 01:06 PM
The score?
I only really notice it if it's really good. I really like the guy Soderburgh uses (David Holmes).
But soundtrack I almost always notice, and Scorsese and Crowe are the best int he business at putting together GREAT soundtracks.

That's because they both act as their own music supervisors AND they essentially have unlimited resources for music synchronization.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 01:08 PM
On a different note, one movie that is amazing because it doesn't use music? Cast Away. Did anyone notice that while he is on the island there is no music at all? I keep trying to think of another movie that has such an absence of music and I can't think of even one.

Cloverfield had no music until the final credits.

The original "Blair Witch Project" had no music.

There are others.

What's worse IMO are movies like "National Treasure", that have wall to wall music and the MUSIC, not the actors, are responsible for telling you what's happening in a scene.

Yuck.

irishjayhawk
11-13-2008, 01:32 PM

There are others.

What's worse IMO are movies like "National Treasure", that have wall to wall music and the MUSIC, not the actors, are responsible for telling you what's happening in a scene.

Yuck.

No Country for Old Men had no music. I thought it made the movie better.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 01:46 PM
The score?

Those Ocean film scores are great! Especially Ocean 12.

Jilly
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM

There are others.

Yuck.

I've never seen those two.

Jilly
11-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Love Actually has an amazing score; in fact we used a lot of it in our wedding because of the emotion it brought forth

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Another guy who uses music very effectively is Michael Mann.

The Last of the Mohicans score is one of my faves.

DeepPurple
11-13-2008, 04:15 PM
The film 'Neighbors' with Belushi and Aykroyd I liked so much I saw it twice in the theater when it was new. However, it wasn't a big success even though it was the follow-up to the popular 'Blues Brothers'. It had a quirky soundtrack which I always thought detracted from the film, unlike Napolean Dynamite which had a quirky soundtrack that enhanced the film.

As for dramas, one of the main reasons I bought the DVD 'Batman Begins' was because I liked the use of the soundtrack along with the action.

Demonpenz
11-13-2008, 04:15 PM
scarface has a cheesy score ugh

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 04:58 PM
scarface has a cheesy score ugh

Its dated. A product of its era.

Sully
11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Those Ocean film scores are great! Especially Ocean 12.

I liked it. I think I liked 11 better, though.

I like "Out of Sight" better than any of them though. I don't know if it's just the scenes some of it is put to, but that is some sexy fucking music (The scene in Detroit where Clooney and Lopez meet in the bar).

Sully
11-13-2008, 05:27 PM

I'm not afraid to admit it, "Miami Vice" is one of my favorite movies, and...yes...the music in that was badass.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Its dated. A product of its era.

No, it's pure cheeze.

Giorgio Moroder?

Please. That was a horrible decision on DePalma's part.

A conventional composer (not some synthesizer idiot) would have made this film a timeless classic.

I guarantee it's remade someday and it'll be a far better film, if only because of the score.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
No, it's pure cheeze.

Giorgio Moroder?

Please. That was a horrible decision on DePalma's part.

A conventional composer (not some synthesizer idiot) would have made this film a timeless classic.

I guarantee it's remade someday and it'll be a far better film, if only because of the score.

Well, that type of pop sythensizer music was popular at the time.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, that type of pop sythensizer music was popular at the time.

Yeah, but not for great feature films.

Schlock? Sure. But not great films.

The only other film that I know of that Moroder scored was "DC Cab".

While kinda funny, I certainly wouldn't put it up there with the best comedies of the day.

It was an error in judgment on the part of DePalma.

Sully
11-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah, but not for great feature films.

Schlock? Sure. But not great films.

The only other film that I know of that Moroder scored was "DC Cab".

While kinda funny, I certainly wouldn't put it up there with the best comedies of the day.

I'm always disappointed in the score for "Untouchables" because I feel like it is too "80s" for a period piece. It seems to be very synth-y.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 05:44 PM

I wont argue that. :)

BTW according to IMDB, he also did these films:

Flashdance (1983)
Cat People (1982)
Foxes (1980)
American Gigolo (1980)

Midnight Express (1978)

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I wont argue that. :)

BTW according to IMDB, he also did these films:

Flashdance (1983)
Cat People (1982)
Foxes (1980)
American Gigolo (1980)

Midnight Express (1978)

Good find, but all the more reason that DePalma made an error in judgment.

Would you look at those titles and say "Hmmm. I think this guy is perfect to score my update of the old gangster movie about Al Capone! Foxes and murdering thugs go hand in hand!"

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Good find, but all the more reason that DePalma made an error in judgment.

Would you look at those titles and say "Hmmm. I think this guy is perfect to score my update of the old gangster movie about Al Capone! Foxes and murdering thugs go hand in hand!"

hahah..

I was a little too young at the time, but i imagine in 83, that Scarface soundtrack sounded pretty hot and hip. It was probably a "commerical" decsion.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 06:03 PM
A good score won't save a bad movie, but a good score can elevate a good movie to greatness. Some of these have been mentioned already, but I think of...

Titanic
Pulp Fiction
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Beetlejuice

I'm not into scores that are just the "bum-bum-BUM" type of music. I like scores that are real music that a person would find interesting even if it wasn't attached to a movie.

Miles
11-13-2008, 06:04 PM

Last of the Mohicans is probably my favorite of his due in part to the score and I really enjoy Mann's work.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Totally awesome movie. I can't figure out what it was about the Tiny Dancer scene that worked so well, but that's one of my favorite movie scenes ever. You feel like you're actually on the bus with the people.

I may have liked that movie too because that kid is about the same age as I was in that era, and is really easy for me to identify with. I dunno. Nonetheless, I love that movie.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Last of the Mohicans is probably my favorite of his due in part to the score and I really enjoy Mann's work.

Hes always made scores and music a big part of his work.

Miami Vice the series was pretty groundbreaking at the time.

His early movies like Thief, Manhunter, The Keep, all have weird, dreamy scores.

Oh yea, off subject but i just recent discovered Heat was a remake of some 80's TV movie. Does this scene look familiar if you have seen Heat?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQTn0psH_bM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQTn0psH_bM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 06:14 PM

If the music doesn't stand the test of time, how come we can all hum them thirty years after the movies were released?

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Totally awesome movie. I can't figure out what it was about the Tiny Dancer scene that worked so well, but that's one of my favorite movie scenes ever. You feel like you're actually on the bus with the people.

I may have liked that movie too because that kid is about the same age as I was in that era, and is really easy for me to identify with. I dunno. Nonetheless, I love that movie.

Is it because you liked Peter Frampton?

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 06:16 PM
If the music doesn't stand the test of time, how come we can all hum them thirty years after the movies were released?

I think you missed the point on that one, Mr. Rainman.

John Carpenter's scores don't last the test of time.

John Williams is the godfather of modern film scoring and IMO, is unparalleled.

Buehler445
11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
I think it depends on the movie. Some movies are dependent on the score to create mood. Others focus more on action or plot.

Miles
11-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Hes always made scores and music a big part of his work.

Miami Vice the series was pretty groundbreaking at the time.

His early movies like Thief, Manhunter, The Keep, all have weird, dreamy scores.

Oh yea, off subject but i just recent discovered Heat was a remake of some 80's TV movie. Does this scene look familiar if you have seen Heat?

Nice, had no idea on that one. Hopefully The Keep will find its way to DVD one of these days. I think it's his only movie I have not seen and it sounds rather bizarre.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 06:24 PM

I tried to say this before.

They do in the context of the films he was making.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 06:26 PM
I tried to say this before.

They do in the context of the films he was making.

I understand your point.

I just vehemently disagree.

Carpenter's films would not be looked upon as 70's and 80's schlocky cheeze if he had hired a real film composer, instead of buying a Mini-Moog and doing it himself.

Could you imagine Star Wars with a John Carpenter score?

Do you think it would be as highly revered today?

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
I think you missed the point on that one, Mr. Rainman.

John Williams is the godfather of modern film scoring and IMO, is unparalleled.

Oh, you're right. My bad.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Is it because you liked Peter Frampton?

Well, who doesn't like Peter Frampton?

You made a comment in an earlier post that the movie was biographical. Naive question, because I just went to the movie and enjoyed it and I'm not that knowledgeable about movies. Was it about Peter Frampton? I have no idea.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, who doesn't like Peter Frampton?

You made a comment in an earlier post that the movie was biographical. Naive question, because I just went to the movie and enjoyed it and I'm not that knowledgeable about movies. Was it about Peter Frampton? I have no idea.

Yes.

Most people don't know this fact (actually hardly anyone, so I'm sharing a secret!) but this movie was about the last days of Humble Pie, before Frampton went solo.

Many of the arguments between the singer and guitarist in "Almost Famous" were actual arguments between Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton.

Frampton's even in the movie as an actor and he's listed as a "consultant".

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't have guessed that Frampton was part of Stillwater. Interesting.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Carpenter's films would not be looked upon as 70's and 80's schlocky cheeze if he had hired a real film composer, instead of buying a Mini-Moog and doing it himself.

Could you imagine Star Wars with a John Carpenter score?

Do you think it would be as highly revered today?

hahah....I would argue that being schlocky and low budget is exactly what makes those flicks so enduring. :)

Lucas at the time took a huge risk with Star Wars with the classical film score. I believe originally he did want something more "electronic" sounding.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't have guessed that Frampton was part of Stillwater. Interesting.

What's even more interesting is that if you watch that film knowing that it's actually real guitar god Peter Frampton, it makes it even more enjoyable, especially knowing what he'll eventually become.

Guys like "Red Dog" (who was a real and very famous roadie) said "Greg and Dickie send their love" who if you don't know, are Greg Allman and Dick Betts.

Everybody knew Frampton was going to be a star.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
hahah....I would argue that being schlocky and low budget is exactly what makes those flicks so enduring. :)

Lucas at the time took a huge risk with Star Wars with the classical film score. I believe originally he did want something more "electronic" sounding.

Nah, he did it because his best friend recommended him.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
What's even more interesting is that if you watch that film knowing that it's actually real guitar god Peter Frampton, it makes it even more enjoyable, especially knowing what he'll eventually become.

Guys like "Red Dog" (who was a real and very famous roadie) said "Greg and Dickie send their love" who if you don't know, are Greg Allman and Dick Betts.

Everybody knew Frampton was going to be a star.

The William character was really just Crowe himself right?

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
The William character was really just Crowe himself right?

Yes

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes

Did Crowe actually do that (write for Rolling Stone as a 15 year-old), or is that Crowe projecting himself into a fictional situation?

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Did Crowe actually do that (write for Rolling Stone as a 15 year-old), or is that Crowe projecting himself into a fictional situation?

No, he was 15 at the time.

Most of you probably know this but when Crowe was 21, he enrolled in a high school in the San Fernando Valley to report on teenagers for Rolling Stone. He got so much information that he ended up writing a book about it, which was later turned into a successful movie.

Deberg_1990
11-14-2008, 07:43 AM
No, he was 15 at the time.

Most of you probably know this but when Crowe was 21, he enrolled in a high school in the San Fernando Valley to report on teenagers for Rolling Stone. He got so much information that he ended up writing a book about it, which was later turned into a successful movie.

Hmm...let me guess: Fast Times?

Classic flick. Never read the book.

Baby Lee
11-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Anyone catch footage of Star Wars pre-score on the DVDs? Looked like a very mediocre B-movie.

Great Scores are great things, Dances with Wolves, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Last of the Mohicans, not to mention 'Scores' of Tarantino films where the musical choices are characters in their own right.

Baby Lee
11-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Hmm...let me guess: Fast Times?

Classic flick. Never read the book.

Never Been Kissed you big dummy!!!

Midnight_Vulture
11-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Requiem for a Dream has the best score of all time IMO. Followed by The Dark Knight

TrickyNicky
11-17-2008, 12:30 AM
My favorite score would probably be Conan The Barbarian. There was so little dialogue in the movie that the music took on a larger role.