PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix Experience-Mitch Mitchell Passes Away

BigChiefFan
11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Mitch Mitchell of Hendrix Experience Dies
AP
posted: 1 HOUR 37 MINUTES AGOcomments: 135filed under: Music News, ObitsPrintShareText SizeAAAPortland, Ore. (Nov. 12) - Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s and the group's last surviving member, was found dead in his hotel room early Wednesday. He was 61.
Recently Departed Music StarsMichael Ochs Archives / Getty Images36 photos Mitch Mitchell, Nov. 12: The rock durmmer, left, and last surviving member of the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience, was found dead of apparent natural causes in a Portland hotel room at age 62. The leader of the band overdosed in 1970, while bassist Noel Redding, right, died in 2003.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)
Recently Departed Music Stars
Mitch Mitchell, Nov. 12: The rock durmmer, left, and last surviving member of the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience, was found dead in a Portland hotel room of apparent natural causes. He was 62. The leader of the band overdosed in 1970, while bassist Noel Redding, right, died in 2003.

Michael Ochs Archives / Getty Images

Miriam Makeba, Nov. 10: THe South African singing legend who was banned from her own country for more than 30 years under apartheid died from a heart attack after collapsing on stage in Italy. She was 76.

AP

Shakir Stewart, Nov. 1: The Island Def Jam executive who became head of the legendary rap label following Jay-Z's departure, killed himself on Nov. 1. Police say he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 34 years old.

Merl Saunders, Oct. 24: The rock and jazz keyboardist who recorded albums with music titans like The Grateful Dead and Miles Davis, died at the age of 74 after complications from a stroke.

Christopher Felver, Corbis

Dee Dee Warwick, Oct. 18: The soul songstress died after months of declining health. Warwick, the sister of soul legend Dionne, also achieved a great deal of success, both as a solo artist as well as with her sister.

Getty Images

Levi Stubbs, Oct. 17: The iconic lead singer, second from left, who gave voice to Four Tops classics like "Reach Out I'll Be There" and "Baby I Need Your Loving" died at 72 from complications of cancer and a stroke. Abdul Fakir, far left, is now the sole living member of the original quartet.

AP

Nick Reynolds, Oct. 1: The Kingston Trio led the folk music uprising in the late 1950s, paving the way for the Dylans and the Baezs of the world. Reynolds, right with Dave Guard and Bob Shane, had been in the hospital with acute respiratory disease before his family took him off life support. He was 75.

AP

Norman Whitfield, Sept. 16: The Motown tunesmith responsible for anthems like 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine' 'Car Wash' and 'War' died shortly after awakening from a diabetes-related coma. He was 67.

Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

Richard Wright, Sept. 15: With Pink Floyd, he unleashed new sounds from his collection of synths and organs that gave the band its signature psychedelic sheen. Wright, who also wrote mammoth cuts like "Us and Them" for the band, died following a battle with cancer. He was 65.

AP

Jerry Reed, Sept. 2: He started off as a guitarist, eventually had a string of country hits and also made the jump to the big screen with successful turns in Burt Reynolds films like 'Smokey and the Bandit' and 'Gator.' Reed lost a battle to emphysema at 71.

Doug McKenzie, Getty Images

Mitchell was a powerful force on the Hendrix band's 1967 debut album "Are You Experienced?" as well as the trio's albums "Electric Ladyland" and "Axis: Bold As Love." He had an explosive drumming style that can be heard in hard-charging songs such as "Fire" and "Manic Depression."
The Englishman had been drumming for the Experience Hendrix Tour, which performed Friday in Portland. It was the last stop on the West Coast part of the tour.
Hendrix died in 1970. Bass player Noel Redding died in 2003.
An employee at Portland's Benson Hotel called police after discovering Mitchell's body.
Erin Patrick, a deputy medical examiner, said Mitchell apparently died of natural causes. An autopsy was planned.
R.I.P. Mitch Mitchell: YouTube Jukebox

'Manic Depression'

'Hey Joe'

'Fire'

'Crosstown Traffic'

"He was a wonderful man, a brilliant musician and a true friend," said Janie Hendrix, chief executive of the Experience Hendrix Tour and Jimi Hendrix' stepsister. "His role in shaping the sound of the Jimi Hendrix Experience cannot be underestimated."
Bob Merlis, a spokesman for the tour, said Mitchell had stayed in Portland for a four-day vacation and planned to leave Wednesday.
"It was a devastating surprise," Merlis said. "Nobody drummed like he did."
He said he saw Mitchell perform two weeks ago in Los Angeles, and the drummer appeared to be healthy and upbeat.
Merlis said the tour was designed to bring together veteran musicians who had known Hendrix — like Mitchell — and younger artists, such as Grammy-nominated winner Jonny Lang, who have been influenced by him.
Blues-rock guitarist Kenny Wayne Shepherd, who is 31 and was part of the tour, said Mitchell was to the drums what Hendrix was to the guitar.
"Today many of us have lost a dear friend, and the world has lost a rock n' roll hero," he said.
Mitchell was a one-of-a-kind drummer whose "jazz-tinged" style was influenced by Max Roach and Elvin Jones, Merlis said. The work was a vital part of both the Jimi Hendrix Experience in the 1960s and the Experience Hendrix Tour that ended last week, he said.
"If Jimi Hendrix were still alive," Merlis said, "he would have acknowledged that."
During his career Mitchell played with the best in the business — not just Hendrix, but also Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Keith Richards, Jack Bruce, Jeff Beck, Muddy Waters and others.
Mitchell performed with Hendrix and Redding at the Monterey Pop Festival in June 1967, the U.S. debut of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. He also was member of a later version of the band that performed the closing set of the Woodstock Festival in August 1969 — where Hendrix played a psychedelic version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" before the band launched into "Purple Haze."
The Jimi Hendrix Experience was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 1992. According to the Hall of Fame, Mitchell was born July 9, 1947, in Ealing, England.
Terry Stewart, chief executive of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, said Mitchell transformed his instrument from a "strictly percussive element to a lead instrument."
"His interplay with Jimi Hendrix's guitar on songs like 'Fire' is truly amazing," Stewart said Wednesday. "Mitch Mitchell had a massive influence on rock 'n' roll drumming and took it to new heights."
Hendrix, Redding and Mitchell held their first rehearsal in October 1966, according to the Hall of Fame's Web site.
In an interview last month with the Boston Herald, Mitchell said he met Hendrix "in this sleazy little club."
"We did some Chuck Berry and took it from there," Mitchell told the newspaper. "I suppose it worked."
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2008-11-12 17:38:34

BigChiefFan
11-13-2008, 09:21 AM
No love for one of the greatest drummers in rock?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2008, 09:25 AM
No love for one of the greatest drummers in rock?

Plenty here; Mitch was The Man.

BigChiefFan
11-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Plenty here; Mitch was The Man.

He was one of the best. The song FIRE is one of the best drumming songs in my mind. Glad to see some love for one of the best. RIP.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
He was one of the best. The song FIRE is one of the best drumming songs in my mind. Glad to see some love for one of the best. RIP.

I studied his style when I was starting to get really good, and I've used a lot of his licks over the years.

Third Stone From The Sun is a monster tune from a drumming perspective.

DaFace
11-13-2008, 09:43 AM
That's too bad. They played right behind our office a couple weeks ago. A couple guys here went and had a great time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-13-2008, 09:45 AM
He was delicious.

talastan
11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Great very underrated drummer, RIP Mitch. Thanks for showing us all those tremendous licks you've passed on!

Ultra Peanut
11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Turn him over. That's how Hendrix died.

alpha_omega
11-13-2008, 10:16 AM
One of the best ever. Of course i am biased. RIP Mitch.

In fact, i am going to pop in my Blue Wild Angel DVD right now... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Wild_Angel

Demonpenz
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
big whoop Rolleyes keep time, let jimmy own the stage...

StcChief
11-13-2008, 10:39 AM
RIP. one of the best Rock drummers.

teedubya
11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Loved this dude. Rock on Mitch. Now the Experience can reunite and rock again!