PDA

View Full Version : Computers Working more with video lately...product tips?

|Zach|
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I am looking for something more advanced than Windows Movie Maker but don't need something really deep like Adobe Premiere. Any good programs you folks use?

Paying for it isn't a problem if I find the right one. Free is nice though.

HC_Chief
11-13-2008, 03:22 PM
iMovie

|Zach|
11-13-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm a PC. heh.

ZepSinger
11-13-2008, 03:24 PM
the big 3:

Avid (high-dollar, very high-end)
Final Cut Pro (Mac)
Adobe Premiere(what I use)

Kinda depends on what you're going to do with it. Premiere suits me fine for my uses(wedding/special event videography). I'm not familiar with any apps positioned between WMM and Premiere...

Z

|Zach|
11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Yea, I just wish I had a lot more flexibility with text\title type stuff than I do with WMM. I am not doing a lot of intense type stuff though.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0.

You can find it on Amazon for $79.00 or so.

It encodes and reads nearly every video codec on the market and it's easy to use.

|Zach|
11-13-2008, 03:30 PM

It encodes and reads nearly every video codec on the market and it's easy to use.

Oooo lah lah.

Looking interesting so far.

DaFace
11-13-2008, 08:28 PM

Yeah, we use Vegas Pro at work for a few things here and there. Definitely full-featured. I don't have anything to compare it to, though.

I know GoChiefs is a big fan of Camtasia studio. I've messed with it, but not extensively.

keg in kc
11-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Kinda depends on what you're going to do with it. Premiere suits me fine for my uses(wedding/special event videography). I'm not familiar with any apps positioned between WMM and Premiere..I've been surprised by how much I like Premeire.

What I don't like is that I got CS3 a year ago and now CS4 is coming out.

|Zach|
11-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Really loving Vegas studio. Thanks for the heads up folks.

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Really loving Vegas studio. Thanks for the heads up folks.

You're welcome

:D

Fire Me Boy!
11-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Avid or Premiere. I've edited a feature on Premiere, and a number of commercial productions on Avid. Take your pick.

Frankly, Premiere is my go-to program, simply because I know it better. I used it for years before I bought Avid. But it's my go-to when I'm in a rush. Avid is better.

Do you know any students? Get them to buy Avid Xpress on a student license. Will save you a TON of cash.

gblowfish
11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Seriously dude, if you're gonna do video, get a Mac. It comes with IMovie and IDVD, both are great for basic project. So can also get final cut pro and DVD studio pro for more advanced stuff. You can buy software with educational discount. Any teacher or student can buy it for you. It's the bees knees.

Fire Me Boy!
11-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Seriously dude, if you're gonna do video, get a Mac. It comes with IMovie and IDVD, both are great for basic project. So can also get final cut pro and DVD studio pro for more advanced stuff. You can buy software with educational discount. Any teacher or student can buy it for you. It's the bees knees.

You don't need a Mac anymore to do graphical stuff. Fifteen years ago you needed a Mac. Now, everything's advanced enough where you can use what you prefer.

If you want a Mac, buy one, but don't buy a Mac because someone told you you need a Mac to do graphics. It's bullshit.

headsnap
11-14-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm looking at getting Final Cut Express and a decent prosumer camera. iMovie has taken me as far as it can go...

ModSocks
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Premiere Elements is a good program to use as well. Not nearly as expensive as Premiere, and still has more than enough of the original program to make a good video

ZepSinger
11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I've been surprised by how much I like Premeire.

What I don't like is that I got CS3 a year ago and now CS4 is coming out.

ditto. :(