PDA

View Full Version : Misc Colorado Springs, CO - Anyone Ever Been?

Dayze
11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Just curious if anyone has been/lived in Colorado Springs; and if so, what their impressions were of the place.

My job-hunt (going on 5 weeks now) has yielded possibly near-perfect match, but it's located in Colorado Springs; good news is, the Wife's corporate office is located in Colorado Springs as well. She is 'game' for a move if the job manifests itself etc.

The wisdom of CP'ers is always appreciated (sans Midnight Douche)

Donger
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Just curious if anyone has been/lived in Colorado Springs; and if so, what their impressions were of the place.

My job-hunt (going on 5 weeks now) has yielded possibly near-perfect match, but it's located in Colorado Springs; good news is, the Wife's corporate office is located in Colorado Springs as well. She is 'game' for a move if the job manifests itself etc.

It's not unlike any other metro. Some really crappy parts and some very nice parts. Very defense industry-oriented. The mountain is right there. Apparently has some gang/meth problems.

I prefer Denver, but I'm biased.

Dayze
11-13-2008, 06:56 PM
It's not unlike any other metro. Some really crappy parts and some very nice parts. Very defense industry-oriented. The mountain is right there. Apparently has some gang/meth problems.

Cool; I'll definitely do some digging. The job I'm interested in, is 'in' the mountain; which is bit south of Colorado Springs; and the wife's company is more on the north end.

Donger
11-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Cool; I'll definitely do some digging. The job I'm interested in, is 'in' the mountain; which is bit south of Colorado Springs; and the wife's company is more on the north end.

The one with the really big door in it?

prhom
11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I always get a strange feeling when I drive through it, can't say why exactly. It's just odd. Also the traffic is simply ridiculous. I-25 on a Saturday morning around 10 is not when you would expect to hit stop and go traffic for no reason. This happened to me several times so it seemed like it wasn't just a coincidence. All that aside though, I'd rather live in the Springs than a lot of other places. I agree with Donger though, Denver is way cooler if you can swing it.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I like the Springs, but recognize that it's politically and socially very conservative. It's got a big army base (which I understand is expanding significantly), and it's the home of Focus on the Family. If your tendencies lean to the left, you'll be in the minority, and it's not even close.

I did observational research in Colorado Springs for nearly seven years for a client, so I crawled all over that city. I'm not sure what bad neighborhoods Donger is talking about, unless he means the central part of the city. It's got older homes, I guess, but I definitely wouldn't say it's a bad neighborhood. Maybe I would classify some of the southeastern neighborhoods as a bit higher on the skank factor, when I think about it, but no big deal.

I thought the northwest and southwest parts of the city were quite nice. The northwest is probably a bit more affordable than the southwest, but I could easily live in either of those places, or in the central part.

My one annoyance with the Springs is that their development pattern tends to cluster restaurants and stores on specific streets, and I could never seem to find them when I needed them. I remember driving around looking for a restaurant for lunch - any restaurant - and taking 20 to 30 minutes to find anything. It was weird.

It's cool to be that close to the mountain(s), too. You can have a pretty middle-class home that has a superb mountain view.

Like Donger, I tend to prefer Denver, but I wouldn't have a problem moving to the Springs if I needed to.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I always get a strange feeling when I drive through it, can't say why exactly. It's just odd. Also the traffic is simply ridiculous. I-25 on a Saturday morning around 10 is not when you would expect to hit stop and go traffic for no reason. This happened to me several times so it seemed like it wasn't just a coincidence. All that aside though, I'd rather live in the Springs than a lot of other places. I agree with Donger though, Denver is way cooler if you can swing it.

Yeah, the highway traffic down there is horrible. I think there's a plan to widen it that's in the works, which will probably gum stuff up for a while, but man, they need it.

If you live there, though, you wouldn't spend much time on the highway and the rest of the road system is pretty good.

Hydrae
11-13-2008, 07:16 PM
My brother has been there for about 12 years and loves it. I have never been up there in the winter but it has always struck me as a decent enough town.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
I doubt that the Springs has bad winters, because it's only a little higher than Denver. You might occasionally get some weird snows with mountain being there, but Colorado Springs wouldn't be anything like the mountain towns.

Groves
11-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I was just there 2 weeks ago. It has very few desirable old woodworking or blacksmith tools in the antique stores I looked in. Disappointing, but what you gonna do.

ohiobronco2
11-13-2008, 07:35 PM

ROFL

Donger
11-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I like the Springs, but recognize that it's politically and socially very conservative. It's got a big army base (which I understand is expanding significantly), and it's the home of Focus on the Family. If your tendencies lean to the left, you'll be in the minority, and it's not even close.

I did observational research in Colorado Springs for nearly seven years for a client, so I crawled all over that city. I'm not sure what bad neighborhoods Donger is talking about, unless he means the central part of the city. It's got older homes, I guess, but I definitely wouldn't say it's a bad neighborhood. Maybe I would classify some of the southeastern neighborhoods as a bit higher on the skank factor, when I think about it, but no big deal.

I thought the northwest and southwest parts of the city were quite nice. The northwest is probably a bit more affordable than the southwest, but I could easily live in either of those places, or in the central part.

My one annoyance with the Springs is that their development pattern tends to cluster restaurants and stores on specific streets, and I could never seem to find them when I needed them. I remember driving around looking for a restaurant for lunch - any restaurant - and taking 20 to 30 minutes to find anything. It was weird.

It's cool to be that close to the mountain(s), too. You can have a pretty middle-class home that has a superb mountain view.

Like Donger, I tend to prefer Denver, but I wouldn't have a problem moving to the Springs if I needed to.

By crappy, I meant some of the industrial areas, not neighborhoods.

Donger
11-13-2008, 07:40 PM
My brother has been there for about 12 years and loves it. I have never been up there in the winter but it has always struck me as a decent enough town.

I would take a Front Range winter over a Midwest winter any day.

Dayze
11-13-2008, 07:45 PM

based on the description and company; I suspect so. :D

Donger
11-13-2008, 07:46 PM
based on the description and company; I suspect so. :D

Ugh. Get used to hating I-25.

Dayze
11-13-2008, 07:49 PM
As usual....you guys never disappoint. Great information.

It's a very weird feeling; I've been looking for a job for a while now (over 35 places applied for; + cold resumes sent out etc); then all of a sudden this pops up and aligns nearly identically with my military background ; & it's where my wife's company is headquartered.

Weird feeling. Not getting my hopes up...but, you never know. Oh, and the wife went on a last minute errand to the store (making clam chowder tonight); and the car next to her in the parking lot had a Colorado license plate on it.

...........odd.....

Donger
11-13-2008, 07:51 PM

It's a very weird feeling; I've been looking for a job for a while now (over 35 places applied for; + cold resumes sent out etc); then all of a sudden this pops up and aligns nearly identically with my military background ; & it's where my wife's company is headquartered.

Weird feeling. Not getting my hopes up...but, you never know. Oh, and the wife went on a last minute errand to the store (making clam chowder tonight); and the car next to her in the parking lot had a Colorado license plate on it.

...........odd.....

I hope the best for you. Being in "Broncos' Country" is a little weird at first, but just get yourself a "Native" bumper sticker, and you'll feel right at home.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
OH! OH! I have a Colorado Springs story that I meant to tell a while back, but forgot.

My mother-in-law's birthday was a couple of months ago, and we took her to the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs for lunch. If you don't know the Broadmoor, it's a really upper-end hotel that's up in the foothills.

So we have our lunch and we're walking around, and I end up on this big balcony over the front entrance, and I'm just kind of looking around, and all of a sudden I feel this presence of great danger, like some sort of gigantic eagle is swooping down to nab me. I turn around and look up, and there's a B-2 bomber cruising over the hotel. Man, those things are otherworldly.

It was a total surprise to see it, and I'd never seen one before. I saw it fly off in the distance, and realized that it was doing a big tax-dollar-wasting flyover of the football game at the Air Force Academy on the north end of town. It made a couple of passes, so I hung around and got to see it up close a couple of times. A country that can build a bomber like that is truly a great country.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 07:56 PM

Oh, yeah. I agree 100 percent. And our summers are a thousand times more pleasant to boot.

Donger
11-13-2008, 07:57 PM
OH! OH! I have a Colorado Springs story that I meant to tell a while back, but forgot.

My mother-in-law's birthday was a couple of months ago, and we took her to the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs for lunch. If you don't know the Broadmoor, it's a really upper-end hotel that's up in the foothills.

So we have our lunch and we're walking around, and I end up on this big balcony over the front entrance, and I'm just kind of looking around, and all of a sudden I feel this presence of great danger, like some sort of gigantic eagle is swooping down to nab me. I turn around and look up, and there's a B-2 bomber cruising over the hotel. Man, those things are otherworldly.

It was a total surprise to see it, and I'd never seen one before. I saw it fly off in the distance, and realized that it was doing a big tax-dollar-wasting flyover of the football game at the Air Force Academy on the north end of town. It made a couple of passes, so I hung around and got to see it up close a couple of times. A country that can build a bomber like that is truly a great country.

Heh. Had a similar experience recently during a Broncos homegame. The planes (for some reason) always start circling my house right before they head north toward Mile High. It sounded different this day, so I went outside to look. It was two F-22 Raptors. Beautiful to see, but I remember thinking, "So that's what $1 billion looks like." I then had a horrible thought about them being armed with loose JDAMs and went inside.

Donger
11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh, yeah. I agree 100 percent. And our summers are a thousand times more pleasant to boot.

Did DaFace get over his bad first winter experience yet?

prhom
11-13-2008, 08:01 PM

...........odd.....

Good luck with the jobs! Just factor in sports bar expenses or nfl ticket to your budget. They don't show many Chiefs games here now that they suck. I spend a lot of money at BWWs just to watch the games.

Dayze
11-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I then had a horrible thought about them being armed with loose JDAMs and went inside.

ROFL

I was fortunate enough to download gps satellite info, and load into the F/A - 18's "brick" (hard drive) while in the gulf; then download target coordinates to the JSOW (Joint Stand-off Weapon). Cool weapon than glides to the target and can be loaded with crazy munitions. llittle doors open and drop 'anti-personnel' bomblets that explode coincidently 6' above ground.

It was amazing. First time i'd seen a fire and forget weapon (aside from the AIM-54 Phoenix on the Tomcats).

prhom
11-13-2008, 08:05 PM

My favorite parts are those sunny, 60-degree days we get in January and February. You just can't beat a nice afternoon walk in weather like that!

Donger
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
ROFL

I was fortunate enough to download gps satellite info, and load into the F/A - 18's "brick" (hard drive) while in the gulf; then download target coordinates to the JSOW (Joint Stand-off Weapon). Cool weapon than glides to the target and can be loaded with crazy munitions. llittle doors open and drop 'anti-personnel' bomblets that explode coincidently 6' above ground.

It was amazing. First time i'd seen a fire and forget weapon (aside from the AIM-54 Phoenix on the Tomcats).

Sounds like you are picking the right town. I wasn't kidding about the defense industry.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM

I think he's doing fine. However, I've intentionally not told him that winter happens every year.

Psyko Tek
11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
go for it

I lived in The Springs for a year
mild summers and winters

semi small town feel but has all the amenities

and you go outside and there's this BIG fuckin' mountain right there

saw dear, bear foxes, elk, and that was just in town

I loved it but my job folded up there

Donger
11-13-2008, 08:09 PM
My favorite parts are those sunny, 60-degree days we get in January and February. You just can't beat a nice afternoon walk in weather like that!

I always thought sublimation was a hoax until we moved out here.

Oh, BTW Daze, try to get a south-facing driveway.

DaFace
11-13-2008, 08:10 PM

Yeah, he did. I'm actually looking forward to having some snow on the ground this year. When I first came out, it wouldn't have sucked near as bad had I not been stuck at my in-laws' place for half of a week, sleeping on the couch. I like my in-laws, but that was just unpleasant.

Donger
11-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I think he's doing fine. However, I've intentionally not told him that winter happens every year.

ROFL

This year feel like one of those tricky-for-the-new-people years. "Everyone told us that when it does snow here, it's really heavy. But we haven't seen it snow AT ALL!!!"

Heh.

Dayze
11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I always thought sublimation was a hoax until we moved out here.

Oh, BTW Daze, try to get a south-facing driveway.

:thumb:

thanks.

Unless your comment is sarcastic like "be sure to get a left handed socket-wrench".
:D

KCJohnny
11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I was assigned to Ft. Carson 1993-1996. Co Springs is drop dead gorgeous. The only draw back is that it is 6000 feet above sea level (not much oxygen if you are into running/sports) and that they blather about the donks in the local media. Fair to middling Chiefs broadcasts, though - could be about 5 games or more a year. Co Springs is clean, modern, safe, fairly conservative, patriotic and beautifully situated at the foot of Cheyenne Mountain. If you are a lib, don't fret, Denver and other lib strongholds are just a short drive away.

Good luck.

Donger
11-13-2008, 08:12 PM
:thumb:

thanks.

Unless your comment is sarcastic like "be sure to get a left handed socket-wrench".

No, I'm not kidding.

Dayze
11-13-2008, 08:15 PM
No, I'm not kidding.

Cool. Good deal.

I gotta quit listening to you guys; I'm getting my hopes up :). Probably a bit of a better view than the one I have here in Peculiar.

DeezNutz
11-13-2008, 08:16 PM
No, I'm not kidding.

To melt ice and snow, right?

Donger
11-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Cool. Good deal.

I gotta quit listening to you guys; I'm getting my hopes up :). Probably a bit of a better view than the one I have here in Peculiar.

Indeed. I'm used to seeing the mountains here in Denver, but it's quite different in the Springs. Pike's Peak is RIGHT there. I still say "Wow" every time I'm there. Garden of the Gods and the cog railway are fun, too.

Donger
11-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Snow, yes. I lived here for about ten years and we've never had an ice storm. When it does snow (and yes, it does), it's usually sunny and 50 the following days. I've shoveled snow in shorts before. The snowiest months are typically March and April, too and those are mild months, so the snow doesn't stick around. But, if it snows a few feet in December/January, the snow can be on the ground (in the shadows) for months.

Rain Man
11-13-2008, 08:23 PM

I wasn't a homeowner until I lived in Denver, so I assume it's the same everywhere, but yeah, if you've got a north-facing driveway or front walk, you have to get the snow off or it'll stay there forever. Driveways facing other directions are more or less self-shoveling. I assume every place is like that, though. Am I right?

Our other lucky homeowner trick is that our back yard and deck is on the east side of the house. This means that we've got a cool, shady deck in the summer as opposed to baking in the sun. I never thought about that when we bought our house, but I'm really glad we face west.

Donger
11-13-2008, 08:45 PM
I wasn't a homeowner until I lived in Denver, so I assume it's the same everywhere, but yeah, if you've got a north-facing driveway or front walk, you have to get the snow off or it'll stay there forever. Driveways facing other directions are more or less self-shoveling. I assume every place is like that, though. Am I right?

Our other lucky homeowner trick is that our back yard and deck is on the east side of the house. This means that we've got a cool, shady deck in the summer as opposed to baking in the sun. I never thought about that when we bought our house, but I'm really glad we face west.

My backyard and deck faces due North. If I don't shovel my deck, that snow will be there a LONG time. Since I've got little ones, I've also been known to shovel my back yard, too. But usually only when my in-laws visit.

DeezNutz
11-13-2008, 10:23 PM

Yes, true enough.

We have the same situation.

My front faces directly west, and this has been a nice benefit. In all honesty, this is something that I gave zero thought to prior to purchasing the house, but I've come to appreciate it when trying to shovel/pick at an inch of ice or so after a nasty storm.

During the summer months, by 2:00 I'm in complete shade on my back patio, enjoying the activity of the humming birds.

DeezNutz
11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
My backyard and deck faces due North. If I don't shovel my deck, that snow will be there a LONG time. Since I've got little ones, I've also been known to shovel my back yard, too. But usually only when my in-laws visit.

How much of your backyard do you shovel? When we've had over a foot of snow, I've had to shovel paths and areas for my dogs, sometimes at the strangest hours (4:00 am last time). Weird chore.

Donger
11-13-2008, 11:09 PM
How much of your backyard do you shovel? When we've had over a foot of snow, I've had to shovel paths and areas for my dogs, sometimes at the strangest hours (4:00 am last time). Weird chore.

That depends on how annoying my MiL is being. I have shoveled every square foot in the past.

Miles
11-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I really do not care for the Springs for that reason since it tends make a city less appealing to those of us that are single.

The surrounding area is outstanding if you enjoy the outdoors and Denver is not too far of a drive away if you need it (about an hour in typical traffic).

DeezNutz
11-13-2008, 11:22 PM
That depends on how annoying my MiL is being. I have shoveled every square foot in the past.

That's funny. I'm sure you created quite the snow mound doing such work, unless you gave the neighbors a "holiday present."

CosmicPal
11-13-2008, 11:35 PM
I like the Springs...cool little town with some great parks. I really like Manitou Springs which is right next to CO Springs and where most of the liberal types resides. Manitou is a cool, little funky town. It still maintains its old Colorado Western feel.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Ugh. Get used to hating I-25.

Could it possibly be worse than the 405 or 101?

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Indeed. I'm used to seeing the mountains here in Denver, but it's quite different in the Springs. Pike's Peak is RIGHT there. I still say "Wow" every time I'm there. Garden of the Gods and the cog railway are fun, too.

I've been to both several times and always thought it would be cool to live there.

DeezNutz
11-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I always thought Garden of the Gods was amazing. Seven falls is pretty neat, too, with the cougar (killed on site--the animal, not the temptress) in the gift shop and all.

Jenson71
11-13-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Air Force (rather than army). I think NORAD is stationed there.

So you'd be fairly safe from terrorists.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Air Force (rather than army). I think NORAD is stationed there.

Save the POTUS [/hog farmer]

ROFL

Miles
11-14-2008, 12:06 AM

Traffic is more understandable when a shitload of people live in the area. I-70 on a Saturday morning during the ski season really is terrible though.

Rain Man
11-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Pretty much my thoughts as well. I really do not care for the Springs for that reason since it tends make a city less appealing to those of us that are single.

The surrounding area is outstanding if you enjoy the outdoors and Denver is not too far of a drive away if you need it (about an hour in typical traffic).

I was at a business presentation one time, and they assigned us to tables. I happened to sit next to a very attractive young woman. I will emphasize this again: very attractive. We exchanged business cards, and she was an employee of Focus on the Family, and I couldn't help but be saddened at all of the lost potential for sluttiness there.

Miles
11-14-2008, 12:49 AM
I was at a business presentation one time, and they assigned us to tables. I happened to sit next to a very attractive young woman. I will emphasize this again: very attractive. We exchanged business cards, and she was an employee of Focus on the Family, and I couldn't help but be saddened at all of the lost potential for sluttiness there.

Indeed a sad story.

JuicesFlowing
11-14-2008, 02:12 AM
I always get a strange feeling when I drive through it, can't say why exactly. It's just odd.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't like CO Springs for that reason alone. Denver is pretty cool though.

Donger
11-14-2008, 07:54 AM

No, I wouldn't do that. Basically made a sled run/half pipe thing.

Donger
11-14-2008, 07:55 AM

When it snows and all the retarded California transplants are on it? Yes.

burt
11-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Domer and our Mrs. visited it once. LOVED IT! I would move their yesterday if I could.

NewChief
11-14-2008, 08:24 AM
The Springs is a weird place. It's the HQ of Focus on the Family and a variety of other extremely right-wing religious organizations. Nothing wrong with that, but it definitely accounts for much of the "feel" of the place. That along with the military base there makes it feel a lot different than the rest of Colorado. Another weird effect of that, though, is that there is also a pretty big backlash community against the RW bent of the place, and the Springs has the most urban "punk" feel of any town in Colorado to me. It's like two extremes warring in the place or something.

That being said, Garden of the Gods is awesome, and there is a ton of cool outdoor stuff to do in the area.

Oh, Manitou Springs is a very cool little suburb of there with a more traditional weird colorado mountain town vibe.

burt
11-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Oh, Manitou Springs is a very cool little suburb of there with a more traditional weird colorado mountain town vibe.

I like that wierd Colorado mountain town vibe. I think I am a flatlander granola head....

Old Dog
11-14-2008, 08:51 AM

Both are there actually
Fort Carson (Army) is there (on the southern end of town)as is:
Air Force Academy (northern part of town)
Peterson Air Force Base (east side)
Schriever Air Force Base (just a bit farther east)
NORAD of course is in Cheyenne Mountain which is prety much "across the street" from Fort Carson

I was stationed at Carson from 96-2000 and loved it there. The only real drawback for me was the traffic (but that's common of any city, I like living in the middle of nowhere much better) and the fact that they shove the Broncos on you (again, understandable).
Beautiful weather and awesome scenery.

NewChief
11-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I like the Springs...cool little town with some great parks. I really like Manitou Springs which is right next to CO Springs and where most of the liberal types resides. Manitou is a cool, little funky town. It still maintains its old Colorado Western feel.

I see Cosmic already beat me on my rec. of Manitou Springs.

Dave Lane
11-14-2008, 09:27 AM

I much prefer CO Springs to Denver. Manitou Springs area is really nice. Kinda laid back almost moved there 10 years ago to the Broadmoor area.

Dave

Donger
11-14-2008, 09:37 AM
There's nothing wrong with Manitou Springs that a medium-sized thermobaric bomb wouldn't fix. At least it would smell better.

NewChief
11-14-2008, 09:54 AM
There's nothing wrong with Manitou Springs that a medium-sized thermobaric bomb wouldn't fix. At least it would smell better.

ROFL
Why am I not surprised that you dislike Manitou Springs?

KCJohnny
11-14-2008, 10:02 AM
The Springs is a weird place. It's the HQ of Focus on the Family and a variety of other extremely right-wing religious organizations. Nothing wrong with that, but it definitely accounts for much of the "feel" of the place. That along with the military base there makes it feel a lot different than the rest of Colorado. Another weird effect of that, though, is that there is also a pretty big backlash community against the RW bent of the place, and the Springs has the most urban "punk" feel of any town in Colorado to me. It's like two extremes warring in the place or something.

That being said, Garden of the Gods is awesome, and there is a ton of cool outdoor stuff to do in the area.

If liberals are suspect of it, you know its a safe and clean city. Drive on.

MagicHef
11-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Snow, yes. I lived here for about ten years and we've never had an ice storm. When it does snow (and yes, it does), it's usually sunny and 50 the following days. I've shoveled snow in shorts before. The snowiest months are typically March and April, too and those are mild months, so the snow doesn't stick around. But, if it snows a few feet in December/January, the snow can be on the ground (in the shadows) for months.

Speaking of weather, how is it in Denver right now? All I can say is if you can avoid driving on I-70 up into the foothills today, do.

Donger
11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
ROFL
Why am I not surprised that you dislike Manitou Springs?

Donger
11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Speaking of weather, how is it in Denver right now? All I can say is if you can avoid driving on I-70 up into the foothills today, do.

About three inches of the white stuff.

NewChief
11-14-2008, 10:17 AM
If liberals are suspect of it, you know its a safe and clean city. Drive on.

I actually found it to be the least clean of the Colorado cities I visited. It had a grimier, more urban feel than any of the others, to me. I actually sort of liked that about it, though, because it didn't have that pretentious, homogenous, granola cool feel of the rest of Colorado.

dtebbe
11-14-2008, 10:18 AM
I could live there, for sure. But I love to hunt and ski...

DT

MagicHef
11-14-2008, 10:49 AM
About three inches of the white stuff.

Coming down to go to work, I saw 5 accidents and almost became the 6th. Pretty much zero traction, just a whole bunch of cars sliding down the hill.

NewChief
11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Coming down to go to work, I saw 5 accidents and almost became the 6th. Pretty much zero traction, just a whole bunch of cars sliding down the hill.

I do not miss driving out there.

Rain Man
11-14-2008, 10:55 AM
A friend of mine was the mayor of Manitou Springs for a while, so we socialized with them a bit in Manitou. The geography of that town is really nice, and it helped that he had a house up on the hill overlooking the town, with big glass windows everywhere. It wasn't a particularly large house, but it had a million-dollar view. The downtown of Manitou could use a little help, though, and I'm not sure that the "Hemp Products" store was really helping the feel.

shitgoose
11-14-2008, 12:10 PM
My mother in law and her husband live in Co Springs. We go visit a couple times of year. Seems to me like there are alot of bums in Colo Springs.

If you go to Manitou check out this mexican restaurant called "Amanda's Fonda". Hands down the best mexican food I have ever eaten.

MagicHef
11-14-2008, 12:14 PM
My mother in law and her husband live in Co Springs. We go visit a couple times of year. Seems to me like there are alot of bums in Colo Springs.

If you go to Manitou check out this mexican restaurant called "Amanda's Fonda". Hands down the best mexican food I have ever eaten.

It's technically New Mexican, not Mexican, but Jack & Grill at 25th and Federal in Denver is objectively awesome.

Sure-Oz
11-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Not to hijack but i kind've am, how is Baltimore, anyone know? expensive? nice area?

Jenson71
11-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Not to hijack but i kind've am, how is Baltimore, anyone know? expensive? nice area?

Have you seen The Wire? A bit shady.

Sure-Oz
11-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Have you seen The Wire? A bit shady.

I keep hearing really bad things about baltimore

Rain Man
11-14-2008, 02:45 PM

I have a niece there at college. She unknowingly described the set and many basic plot elements from "Escape from New York" when telling me about Baltimore.

Sure-Oz
11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a niece there at college. She unknowingly described the set and many basic plot elements from "Escape from New York" when telling me about Baltimore.

ROFL the responses just keep getting better and better, i was on another board asking the same thing and everyone says its a huge shithole and they don't want to get murdered or raped so they avoid baltimore for places to work and live

KCrockaholic
11-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I live in Colorado Springs, CO...Its not a bad place, but I prefer my old place of Harrisonville, MO to this. any questions specifically i can answer?

KCrockaholic
11-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I much prefer CO Springs to Denver. Manitou Springs area is really nice. Kinda laid back almost moved there 10 years ago to the Broadmoor area.

Dave

Broadmoor is the nice area dude....real richy people there.

Dayze
11-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I live in Colorado Springs, CO...Its not a bad place, but I prefer my old place of Harrisonville, MO to this. any questions specifically i can answer?

I'm in Peculiar MO (just a few miiles N of Harrisonville as you know).

These responses have been great; good info.

How would you compare the overall 'cost' of living there? We've briefly skimmed housing online and it seems fairly comparable (obviously depending on 'where' in the city you live).

About how far is it from Denver? I'm sure there are awesome outdoor activities abound.

KCrockaholic
11-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm in Peculiar MO (just a few miiles N of Harrisonville as you know).

These responses have been great; good info.

How would you compare the overall 'cost' of living there? We've briefly skimmed housing online and it seems fairly comparable (obviously depending on 'where' in the city you live).

About how far is it from Denver? I'm sure there are awesome outdoor activities abound.

well compared to peculiar the cost is higher, but it is pretty close to the cost of living in KC. gas is basically the same, not much different. its a very affordable place to live. It is about an hour and a half drive from the springs to Denver (but why would you go there anyway?). Denver is a nice city to walk around in, but its not a good place to go if you live in CO. not much different from KC actually. But im biased and I love KC. Yes, plenty of great places to hike, and enjoy the mountains. Garden of the Gods is a nice place as always. Is it the best part of Colorado? No. not at all, the best part is more west of the rockies. I like to call this place "Colomexico" because trust me, if your white you will be a minority. And i dont mean to sound racist by this, but something that has always stuck out to me is that the hispanics here arent really true to there culture, they are to busy trying to be every other race and act "gangsta" than having culture. Its funny because I was talking with a Mexican buddy from Mexico the other day and even he said to me, he doesnt like the mexicans here because they just "cause trouble" and have no culture. But hey im not gonna ramble on about that. great restaurants have been sort of difficult to find here. In KC we Loved MI Pueblito if youve tried that place in Belton i believe. But nothing compares to that IMO...well tell me how it goes, good luck! anything i can help you with ill give you my advice.