PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Direct tv installation question...

DJJasonp
11-16-2008, 10:49 AM
After waiting a week for installation....the guy shows up to install.

I live in a 2nd floor condo where I have a sizable balcony with a partially obstructed view to the southeast (very thin trees).

Anyways...the guy gets 3 of the 5 satellites, but says he cant get the other 2 because of the line of trees.

Here's the problem...he's only raising the dish about 3 ft off the ground. I asked him if we can put it on a higher pole to get it up higher and picke up the other 2 satellites (which this should do the trick in my opinion).

But - he tells me that they only have a standard 3-4 ft pole that they can install with...either with a straight pole and a cinder block - or a tripod (but he says the tripod is the same height...and an additional 40-60 dollars for install by the way).

Now - this guy seems to have the attitude of someone who just wants to get through his day as quickly as possible...so I have my doubts about what they can and cant do.

I've googled this and have heard stories about "custom" setups with longer poles in concrete, etc....and I've seen other people's setups where it's not so low on the balcony.

Unfortunately, I cannot go on the roof or attach to the side of the condo.

Anybody with any experience on this would be greatly appreciated......is this guy just being lazy? Are their alternatives? If I can get 3 of the 5...just 2-3 ft higher should I get the other 2 satellites?

Thanks.

DaFace
11-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Paging Skip...

Buck
11-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Take a picture of said trees.

Bugeater
11-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Hmm...sounds fishy to me, when I installed my dish I only had to pick up one signal. That was 8 years ago so maybe they have more now.

DaFace
11-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Hmm...sounds fishy to me, when I installed my dish I only had to pick up one signal. That was 8 years ago so maybe they have more now.

I think nowadays, they've got so many channels that they can't fit them all on one satellite. Most notably, I'm pretty sure they've got a bunch of their HD channels on a different satellite than they've had in the past.

DJJasonp
Take a picture of said trees.

I wish I could...I'm actually at the business center of my new complex...since I dont have TV or internet right now (was waiting on direct tv install for both)

They're very thin....no leaves ....and like I said...he got 3 of 5 sat signals from just 3 ft off ground.

:cuss:

Skip Towne
The dish will fit perfectly on a chain link fence post.(line post not a corner post.) Lumber yards have them in 5 & 6 foot lengths and maybe even taller. Mount the pole in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete.

Bugeater
11-16-2008, 10:57 AM
I think nowadays, they've got so many channels that they can't fit them all on one satellite. Most notably, I'm pretty sure they've got a bunch of their HD channels on a different satellite than they've had in the past.

That's certainly a possibility, but it still doesn't make sense because the dish can only point in one direction.

DJJasonp
11-16-2008, 10:57 AM
The dish will fit perfectly on a chain link fence post.(line post not a corner post.) Lumber yards have them in 5 & 6 foot lengths and maybe even taller. Mount the pole in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete.

If I go buy the pole and bucket..........will he come back and install on the higher pole?

And should it cost extra??

Thanks Skip

BigMeatballDave
11-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Hmm...sounds fishy to me, when I installed my dish I only had to pick up one signal. That was 8 years ago so maybe they have more now.DTV has 5 satellites in the sky, I think. I have DTv. There are 3 LNBs on my dish. Room for 5. Its due to HDTV.

Skip Towne
11-16-2008, 10:59 AM

Yep, Bugeater mounted a single lnb dish while we are talking about a 5 lnb dish. We are now dealing with 5 different satellites.

Skip Towne
11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
If I go buy the pole and bucket..........will he come back and install on the higher pole?

And should it cost extra??

Thanks Skip

I used to charge $35 and I supplied everything. Most guys charged more. You may have to call Directv to make him come back. (866 678 9471) Tell them you have an incomplete installation.

BigMeatballDave
11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
A guy I work with has a pole and dish mounted in a 5-gallon bucket of cement. He uses it when he goes camping.

DJJasonp
11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I used to charge $35 and I supplied everything. Most guys charged more. You may have to call Directv to make him come back. (866 678 9471) Tell them you have an incomplete installation.

thanks...wish me luck if i have to go back to time warner im going to shoot myself:shake:

Skip Towne
11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
DTV has 5 satellites in the sky, I think. I have DTv. There are 3 LNBs on my dish. Room for 5. Its due to HDTV.

If you have the Hi-def dish it has 5 lnb's. The big "eye" has three of them

BigMeatballDave
11-16-2008, 11:08 AM
If you have the Hi-def dish it has 5 lnb's. The big "eye" has three of themYeah, I have the HD. I wondered why one was bigger.

Chieftain58
11-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Get cable

Bwana
11-16-2008, 01:18 PM
It sounds like you got the brother of the slack jaw Direct TV ass clown that showed up at my place.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Its really not that hard to install....

I have installed my own systems everytime I move...

No need to have some clown come and fuck up your house...

BigMeatballDave
11-16-2008, 01:40 PM
cable sucks ballsFYP

DJJasonp
11-17-2008, 10:43 AM
It sounds like you got the brother of the slack jaw Direct TV ass clown that showed up at my place.

****UPDATE****

I am still without anything but OTA programming (which amounts to two frickin' channels).....but I did get to see San Diego choke yesterday which is nice).

Direct TV apologized profusely to me....and is sending out a "lead tech" to give my install the attention it apparently needs....

But here's the kicker.......the earliest they can get someone out is Wednesday....the frickin' 26th!!!!!

SO - I have cable coming tomorrow.......and if they can get Direct TV hooked up for me on the 26th....I'll cancel cable.

One note (on another reason I hate Time Warner)....I had been disconnected for exactly a week with TWC.....they're not going to charge an install fee (wooo!!!!)....but the prices I had can no longer be honored. So now, if I want all that I had before (Internet/cable)...it'll be about $30 more than before.

How nice of them, eh??? Bastards! :cuss:

Thanks to all of your suggestions/comments.....

Deberg_1990
11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Is AT&T UVerse available in your area? Just another option....

DJJasonp
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM

It is - but I heard the HD is not as good with them as Direct TV or even TWC???????

Skip Towne
11-17-2008, 12:57 PM
****UPDATE****

I am still without anything but OTA programming (which amounts to two frickin' channels).....but I did get to see San Diego choke yesterday which is nice).

Direct TV apologized profusely to me....and is sending out a "lead tech" to give my install the attention it apparently needs....

But here's the kicker.......the earliest they can get someone out is Wednesday....the frickin' 26th!!!!!

SO - I have cable coming tomorrow.......and if they can get Direct TV hooked up for me on the 26th....I'll cancel cable.

One note (on another reason I hate Time Warner)....I had been disconnected for exactly a week with TWC.....they're not going to charge an install fee (wooo!!!!)....but the prices I had can no longer be honored. So now, if I want all that I had before (Internet/cable)...it'll be about $30 more than before.

I'm always glad to help a brother out. You're not a MUron are you? jk

Deberg_1990
11-17-2008, 12:57 PM
It is - but I heard the HD is not as good with them as Direct TV or even TWC???????

This is true. But it might be a cheaper option overall.

vailpass
11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
****UPDATE****

FWIW my family and I have had DirecTV for 3 years and would never go back to cable. If you are seriously thinking about not going with them you might call their customer service line first and tell them you are going back to cable and why.
Give them a chance to make it right, you migh come out ahead.

CrazyPhuD
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
You need to order some ExtenZs. I hear that if you take it every day it will make your pole longer.

Phobia
11-17-2008, 01:36 PM

UVerse lasted 2 days at my house before we ripped it out. Hated it. I even had a quality installer who just happened to be a good friend from ChiefsPlanet.

Skip Towne
11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
UVerse lasted 2 days at my house before we ripped it out. Hated it. I even had a quality installer who just happened to be a good friend from ChiefsPlanet.

What's wrong with UVerse?

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-17-2008, 01:45 PM
thanks...wish me luck if i have to go back to time warner im going to shoot myself:shake:

If you don't have your own gun, let me know, you can borrow mine.

Deberg_1990
11-17-2008, 02:00 PM

What did you hate about it? The HD quality?

The Franchise
11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
He didn't happen to be Asian did he? I had an installer come out and tell me the same thing. Dude showed up at 8:30 pm.....walked out to the balcony and said it wasn't going to happen.