PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Martin Manley : Chiefs, 1-18… YIKES!

Tribal Warfare
11-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Chiefs, 1-18… YIKES! (http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/152)

Al (the loser) BundyAl (the loser) BundyWhile trying to think whose picture best represents the word “loser”, I decided my man, Al Bundy, is perfect. I once thought seriously about a personalized license plate that just said ALBUNDY, but decided my wife probably would prematurely disown me. In any event, at least Al Bundy was funny. Watching the Chiefs isn’t ... unless, of course, you are a Broncos’ fan – and then it is friggin’ hilarious!

I decided to look at the all-time worst NFL records (since the merger in 1970) for any 19 game stretch. If you haven’t figured it out by now, KC is on the list. Also, I thought I would come up with some good news for each of these clubs at the end of their streak. Why? Just to give Chief addicts some hope.

There are 10 examples of 1-18 or worse and a dozen examples of 2-17.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1976/77: The only 0-19. Of course, keep in mind, they were an expansion club! One could easily argue that this list should not even include expansion teams – that it should be limited only to those franchises that have no possible excuse for their lousy record. I would agree except that a record is a record. The reader can filter out Tampa Bay if they want. GOOD NEWS: Two years later they were 10-6.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kansas City Chiefs 2007-08 (1-18): The one bright spot was that the only win was against division leading Denver and KC stomped them 33-19. I would wonder how that makes Denver fans feel, except that I already know. GOOD NEWS: There is no law against dreaming.

Miami Dolphins 2006-07 (1-18): Possibly a little misleading. Despite losing 16 consecutive, seven of those losses were by three points or less. Actually, all seven were by exactly three points. That’s gotta hurt. GOOD NEWS: They are 6-4 with four straight victories this season.

New York Jets 1995-96 (1-18): The Jets ranked last in point differential and last in turnover margin. It’s a miracle they won a single game… but they did. Arizona (7-9) was the upset victim (31-27). GOOD NEWS: Two years later, they won more games (12) than any season before or since.

Indianapolis Colts 1990-91 (1-18): Despite having Eric Dickerson, they set NFL records for scoring the fewest points per game. Their only win was against the New York Jets (8-8) by a score of 28-27. GOOD NEWS: The following year they were 9-7 and a few years later began a decade of dominance.

Dallas Cowboys 1988-89 (1-18): Their only win was 13-3 over the Washington Redskins (10-6). This victory was as improbable as the Chiefs over the Broncos – especially considering it was in Washington. The variable at work in both cases was that each game pitted two intense rivals against each other. GOOD NEWS: Two years later, they were 11-5 which began a six year period that included three Super Bowl championships.

Houston Oilers 1982-83 (1-18): This streak included losing 17 straight including 7 of 8 in the strike year. The single victory was over the Seattle Seahawks (4-5) by a score of 23-21. GOOD NEWS: Three years after, they began a streak of seven consecutive playoff berths.

Baltimore Colts 1981-82 (1-18): This group was really bad. Their only victory was against a 2-14 New England team … and it was at home … and it was by two points. GOOD NEWS: Not a whole lot. It was five years before they had a winning season and then only 9-6.

Houston Oilers 1972-73 (1-18): How bad were they? It was so bad they invented the flak jacket for Dan Pastorini – as his ribs were nothing more than target practice for defensive linemen. He set an NFL record in 1973 for having been sacked the most often. The victory was over Baltimore (4-10) by a score of 31-27. GOOD NEWS: Two years later they were 10-4 and they won 10+ games four of the following six years.

Buffalo Bills 1970-71 (1-18): Even with OJ, they couldn’t beat the rap on this disaster. Shut out three times and allowing at least 19 points in every game, they managed to only win once – a 27-20 victory against New England (6-8). GOOD NEWS: Two years later, they had back-to-back 9-5 seasons.

----------------------------------------------------------

Oakland Raiders 2005-06 (2-17): GOOD NEWS: Nothing yet.

Cincinnati Bengals 2002-03 (2-17): GOOD NEWS: Two years thereafter, they were 11-5.

Detroit Lions 2001-02 (2-17): GOOD NEWS: You’re joking – right?

Carolina Panthers 2000-01 (2-17): GOOD NEWS: Two years later, they lost a close Super Bowl game.

New England Patriots 1992-93 (2-17): GOOD NEWS: See below.

New England Patriots 1990-91 (2-17). GOOD NEWS: Not much. It took four years to get to a 10-6 record and the playoffs. Of course, we all know two years beyond that they made the Super Bowl. And even a few years later that they won three straight.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1985-86 (2-17). GOOD NEWS: Long miserable drought.

Buffalo Bills 1984-86 & 1983-84 (2-17). GOOD NEWS: Two years later they were 12-4.

New Orleans Saints 1979-80 (2-17): GOOD NEWS: Nothing to get too excited about here unless you have a long horizon. Seven years went by before they had a winning record – but it was a darn good season (12-3). Of course, they lost the playoff game.

San Francisco 49ers 1978-79 (2-17): GOOD NEWS: Two years after this, they won the Super Bowl and the rest is history.

New York Giants 1973-74 (2-17): GOOD NEWS: Not so good. It was seven years before they had a winning record – and then just barely (9-7).

Hammock Parties
11-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Next week we investigate the 1-19 stretches.

Rain Man
11-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I wonder how many of the teams got their "good news" with a different coach.

Hammock Parties
11-16-2008, 09:36 PM

The Colts and Cowboys eventually won Super Bowls. Clearly we are on the right track.

HOWEVER, the Patriots, Bucs, 49ers and Giants also won Super Bowls, and three of those teams went on to form dynasties. So going 2-17 appears to dramatically increase your odds.

Deberg_1990
11-16-2008, 09:37 PM
The Colts and Cowboys eventually won Super Bowls. Clearly we are on the right track.

Right track. wrong coach.

Hammock Parties
11-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Right track. wrong coach.

No, no, we have to give Herm credit. I've railed against him recently but this is undeniable proof he has the program on pace for a Super Bowl. The Cowboys had to wait 3 years, but if we have to wait another 15 like the Colts, that's OK, too. We could win some playoff games in those 15 years, that would be fun.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I am proud of Herm.......... It takes a special coach to be this inept.

Coach
11-16-2008, 09:41 PM
No, no, we have to give Herm credit. I've railed against him recently but this is undeniable proof he has the program on pace for a Super Bowl. The Cowboys had to wait 3 years, but if we have to wait another 15 like the Colts, that's OK, too. We could win some playoff games in those 15 years, that would be fun.

But the Cowboys needed a new coach, before making the transition to the SB.

blueballs
11-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Did the writer realize how many of those teams
Herm has ties to

Hammock Parties
11-16-2008, 09:43 PM
But the Cowboys needed a new coach, before making the transition to the SB.

Right, but they hired an unproven coach, who replaced a proven coach.

We've already got our unproven coach.

Stay the course.

Coach
11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Right, but they hired an unproven coach, who replaced a proven coach.

We've already got our unproven coach.

Stay the course.

Incorrect. Herm was a proven coach, who has proven nothing but suck, when hired.

Next.

Lonewolf Ed
11-16-2008, 10:30 PM

I was barely out of diapers when the Chiefs won the Super Bowl. I damned sure don't want to be about back in them when they win another one.

StcChief
11-16-2008, 10:47 PM
yeah. this is sad. as Herm on sideline looks unfazed............ I guess it's tough being an AA coach in NFL.

DaneMcCloud
11-16-2008, 10:51 PM

I'd be happier with a new owner.