PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Pecan Shells for Grilling/Smoking

osumatt
11-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Ok, don't want or need to get in a debate about grilling vs. smoking but I wanted to know if any of you folks have used pecan shells to enhance the flavor of smoking (ribs, brisket, chicken, etc...). I grill all the time, and smoke a ton too. Usually when I smoke, I use a combination of apple and hickory wood chips. I soak them overnight to maximize the smoke (at least that's what I've heard and it works damn well!).

So, who has used pecan shells for flavor enhancement? I plan to have a bed of hardwood charcoal as the heat source. Do you soak the shells? Do you just put them on dry? How do you like the flavor? Anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

RJ
11-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I've never tried pecan shells, but I've used pecan wood chips.

Where does one buy pecan shells?

I used cherry wood chunks to smoke some ribs on Sunday. I'm becoming a big fan of cherry.

seclark
11-18-2008, 03:19 PM
never tried the shells...i think i read/heard it gives the meat a bitter taste.
i'd like to know how it turns out. watcha smokin?
sec

osumatt
11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Haven't quite decided yet. I'm thinking a rack of ribs or a whole chicken. I'm sure it's going to be interesting. Hope it's not going to turn out bitter. I'd hate to waste about 7 hours and a perfectly good rack of ribs. Oh well, I guess that's what the beer is for. hehe

StcChief
11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Give me an idea about the Shag bark Hickory shells everywhere now. :D

Pitt Gorilla
11-18-2008, 04:13 PM
I can't imagine that's a good idea. Pecan shells stink when burned, IMO.

Stewie
11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Pecan shells are fine. Soak them overnight.

RJ
11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Well, I got curious, so....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=284785

osumatt
11-18-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm guessing a whole chicken and soaking the shells overnight. That way if it turns to crap, I'm only out a few bucks on a chicken. May just have to try this over the weekend.

1ChiefsDan
11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
I use pecan wood for a lot of my beef stuff - never tried shells.