PDA

View Full Version : Life Layoffs: When will they stop?

wutamess
11-18-2008, 04:16 PM
As many of you guys know I got the axe from Sprint in March.
Today my wife got the axe.

For some freaking unknown reason I feel really optimistic about it though.
It's a tough pill to swallow as we were using her health benefits but we'll figure out something as we always do.
Guess ignorance is a good thing. :D

Sure-Oz
11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
damn, sorry to hear that dude, where'd she work?

Companies suck at times

bogey
11-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Gosh! So many life changing things happening. Hang in there man.

kstater
11-18-2008, 04:23 PM
That sucks Wutamess. I hope you all find another. Might look into COBRA if you're needing insurance temporarily.

Reerun_KC
11-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Nice thing about COBRA, it will cost more that you were paying per month...

Stewie
Sorry to hear it Wutamess. Times are getting tough, especially if you work in the financial world. That's starting to be a blood bath.

It's been said before, but she needs to treat the job hunt like it's her full time job.

Reerun_KC
I feel fortunate to have gotten out of corporate america when I did. I am not rolling in the cash as I used to, but I am much, much happier in life..

Reerun_KC
11-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry dude to hear about your layoff... You guys will come out ahead in life...

Deberg_1990
11-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry to hear that Wutamess.

Hang in there and hopefully it will all turn out for the best in the long run.

petegz28
11-18-2008, 04:29 PM

It's a tough pill to swallow as we were using her health benefits but we'll figure out something as we always do.

Roger, it won't stop until they cut too far and then it all snaps back. Companies are more worried about next quarters profits so much that they **** themselves 4 quarters down the road.

Citi laid off 50k people and the stock went up. The stock will be down in a few when the reality hits that there is no money in the economy. Thus the irony of them laying people off.

That and offshoring middle class jobs has caught up to us. You can't offshore good paying jobs and then wonder in 5 years why the country is broke?

bogey
11-18-2008, 04:30 PM
You need to get into the entertainment industry. Any dumbass can do it, and it seems to be pretty stable.

talastan
11-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear that man!! Prayers for you and yours. Hope everything turns out for the best!!

kc rush
11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Sorry to hear that.

We used this site to find temporary insurance while I was out. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than COBRA.

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Good luck with things.

RJ
11-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Wutamess, sorry to hear that. Good luck to you guys, things are tough out there.

Skip Towne
11-18-2008, 04:39 PM
At least you have two uemployment checks.

Bearcat
11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Roger, it won't stop until they cut too far and then it all snaps back. Companies are more worried about next quarters profits so much that they **** themselves 4 quarters down the road.

Citi laid off 50k people and the stock went up. The stock will be down in a few when the reality hits that there is no money in the economy. Thus the irony of them laying people off.

That and offshoring middle class jobs has caught up to us. You can't offshore good paying jobs and then wonder in 5 years why the country is broke?

Yep... my company had a meeting about laying off 10%, and one of the first things they talked about was the pressure of Wall Street. In that respect, I really enjoyed working at Hallmark, where they were more concerned about the stakeholder than shareholder and made decisions accordingly.

I've heard unemployment still has anywhere from 6-12 months before it peaks. :(

Long Duk Dong
11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I've heard unemployment still has anywhere from 6-12 months before it peaks. :(

I've heard the same.

Did you see Citibank yesterday? They laid off 53,000 people.
Scary times.

Bearcat
11-18-2008, 05:13 PM
I've heard the same.

Scary times.

Yeah, and it's everywhere. Sun Microsystems cut 5000 last week, London's biggest phone company cut 10,000, Circuit City closed a bunch of stores, Dell cut almost 10,000, DHL is closing sites in the US, Fidelity's 3000+.... and that's just a small part of the last month.

I got a job about a year ago that's up to 100% travel, and it couldn't have come at a better time... as long as my time is billable to someone else, I have to worry..... much. :(

Mr. Flopnuts
11-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I just went into my HR department and asked for a raise. Wish me luck.

Stewie
11-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Did you move up to the french fryer? :)

KcFanInGA
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Hope things work out for ya sooner than later wutamess.

KcFanInGA
11-18-2008, 05:44 PM
i just got promoted to knob polish technician at toyo tires!

Phobia
11-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear it. I should probably come get that money soon, huh? ;)

wutamess
11-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hear it. I should probably come get that money soon, huh? ;)

oh yeah.. I forgot I owe you too... you really better hurry.

wutamess
11-18-2008, 05:59 PM
damn, sorry to hear that dude, where'd she work?
Companies suck at times

Xnotech, LLC a biotech firm
IT Business Analyst whatever the hell that is.
I guess it's similar to a project mgr.

DaneMcCloud
11-18-2008, 06:09 PM
You need to get into the entertainment industry. Any dumbass can do it, and it seems to be pretty stable.

I resemble that remark.

I'm sorry to hear about the layoff and good luck, Roger.

xbarretx
11-18-2008, 06:27 PM

i wonder if i know you outside of the planet then. i can never pick planetteers out of the masses at sprint.

as for when the layoffs stop..... my guess is 2q 09

p.s. sorry to hear about the bad luck at work. i didnt know man.

wutamess
11-18-2008, 09:48 PM
At least you have two uemployment checks.

I'm employed (found something 2 months after my layoffs).
Just sucks we had to go through a bad 2008.

My layoffs, my grandfathers passing and now my wifes layoffs.
We did have a couple of things go right this year though.
We'll be alright.

Time heals everything.

morphius
11-18-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm employed (found something 2 months after my layoffs).
Just sucks we had to go through a bad 2008.

My layoffs, my grandfathers passing and now my wifes layoffs.
We did have a couple of things go right this year though.
We'll be alright.

Time heals everything.
Thats good to hear, hopefully the wife falls into something quickly as well.

StcChief
11-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I was contacted about a contract position at Sprint doing MicroStrategy/Oracle work...

wutamess
11-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I was contacted about a contract position at Sprint doing MicroStrategy/Oracle work...

Microstrategy is the debil!

bowener
11-19-2008, 12:51 AM
I've heard the same.

Scary times.

just wait until the big 3's super glued parts break away... that should be a massive hit.

Fairplay
11-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Sorry to learn about that wutamess.

I hope the job situation in your family gets better real soon.

Bwana
11-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Roger: Sorry to hear that bud. I hope she finds something fast. On a side note, I'm glad to hear you found yourself another gig.

PhillyChiefFan
11-19-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about you and Mrs. wutamess.

My dad got the axe from Sprint back in 2002, when it was downsizing in Overland Park. We moved out there for his job then after 29 years of service, he gets canned. Life just ain't fair to good people.

Keep your head up, something better will come your way.

Prayers to you and yours wutamess.

wutamess
11-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Sorry to learn about that wutamess.

I hope the job situation in your family gets better real soon.

:eek:

I never thought you weren't a COMPLETE ASS.
Thanks.

RedThat
11-19-2008, 08:38 AM
sorry to hear about you and your wife wutamess. hang in there things will get better.

i can relate, same thing happened to me. been laid off for over 2 months now. I was in the automotive industry.

StcChief
11-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Microstrategy is the debil!yeah. been 11 years since I used it :) I think they were surfing, the job is really Oracle stuff
feeding the datamart for Microstrategy (aka Micro Tragedy)

btlook1
11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Hope it all works out for you. It will be a wonder if most of us on this board aren't laid off soon if it keeps going the way it is!

Nzoner
11-19-2008, 12:02 PM
We've been fortunate in that I've renewed all of my anchor clients for 2009(Pizza Hut,Little Caesars,Dominos,Arby's etc) but it's the small mom and pops that we also cater to that have me concerned as their 2-3 hundred a month really add up and help to offset our postage and printing costs.

I feel for ya man as there isn't a day on the street in sales that I'm not hearing bad news of some sort and it's all I can do to keep on keepin' on because I have such a close relationship with alot of these business owners.

Good luck to you and yours.

blueballs
11-19-2008, 12:04 PM
I can put the wife to work
-badda bing

Inspector
11-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Best wished Mr. wutamess. I hope better times, better situations and a better future awaits you and your wife.

Sometimes in the end, it's a good thing.

My brother got laid off by one of Sprint's competitors about 5 years ago. Now he's having an open house at his buisness "Cinematicvisions" in downtown Lee's Summit to celebrate his 5 year anniversary. His layoff put him in a great position and was the catalyst for him becoming self employed, well off and much happier than he ever was at AT&.....I mean the company he got laid off from.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-19-2008, 03:07 PM

I didn't realize that this was a personal thread because I didn't read it all before I posted. This wasn't a good place to come in here and gloat so I apologize. This will be my last time I promise. :D My HR manager told me yesterday that I was underpaid and promised it would be addressed come the end of the year. Woot!

Did you move up to the french fryer? :)

Douche. Er, I mean, touche!!! :D

Mr. Flopnuts
11-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Well, you've been paying all of your bills and that should be helpful right about now. I wish you the best of luck dude, you guys are talented people and your wife is still smokin hot!!! :evil:

cardken
11-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I was "laid off" from Trane Mfg. And I worked in the Research and Development department. No ones safe. The recession will continue for awhile. The part time job I have is safe at least through the Holidays. It's retail. But we'll see.

cardken
11-19-2008, 03:21 PM
I was "laid off" from Trane Mfg. And I worked in the Research and Development department. No ones safe. The recession will continue for awhile. The part time job I have is safe at least through the Holidays. It's retail. But we'll see.

Fairplay
11-19-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm seeing double.

PunkinDrublic
11-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Sorry to read about that man. Really puts things into perspective for me. I'm at job I fucking hate and have had a bitch of a time trying to find another job. I'm so sick of rushing out to interviews before or after work only to find job offers that are for lower pay, not a good fit or you just don't hear back from them again. I really should have done my homework looking for a job when I finished college a year and a half ago. Now it feels like I'm stuck until the economy improves. My current line of work and job are pretty secure and I'm able to pay my bills but fuck I hate it.

Bwana
11-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry to read about that man. Really puts things into perspective for me. I'm at job I ****ing hate and have had a bitch of a time trying to find another job. I'm so sick of rushing out to interviews before or after work only to find job offers that are for lower pay, not a good fit or you just don't hear back from them again. I really should have done my homework looking for a job when I finished college a year and a half ago. Now it feels like I'm stuck until the economy improves. My current line of work and job are pretty secure and I'm able to pay my bills but **** I hate it.

Welcome to my world. I'm in the same boat.

Skip Towne
11-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Welcome to my world. I'm in the same boat.

Hey Bwana, have you changed jobs recently? I thought you liked that job you had.

SAUTO
11-19-2008, 08:42 PM
sorry to hear this man, tough tough times good luck. i have said it in threads before but it applies here: Everything happens for a reason

Buehler445
11-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey dude, sorry to hear about you and your wife. It is pretty tough out there right now. It really is.

Cabela's recently had their first layoff and it was GODDAMN scary. I was fortunate to survive it, but lots of people I know were not. It didn't go at all like I thought it would. Then I see the economy continuing to go in the shithole...GAH