PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Clark Hunt chooses championship game over Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Clark Hunt chooses championship game over Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/898313.html)

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt will be spared having to watch his 1-9 team play the Buffalo Bills on Sunday. Instead, Hunt will be in Carson, Calif., watching one of his other teams, the Columbus Crew, play New York for the MLS Cup.

“Championship games come along so few and far between,” Hunt said, “that when you get a chance, the right thing to do is to go there.”

When the Hunt family owned the Wizards, both Clark Hunt, and his father, the late Lamar Hunt, also missed Chiefs’ games when their soccer team won the MLS Cup in 2000 and lost in the championship game in 2004.

Though the Hunts sold the Wizards in 2006, they still own the Crew, which is playing in its first MLS Cup, and FC Dallas.

“My brother, Lamar Jr., will be here for Chiefs duty,” Clark Hunt said. “I’m actively involved with the Crew, so it made sense for me to go to the game, and Lamar is here in Kansas City.”

Hunt rejects rumor

One story Hunt will be asked about during the MLS Cup weekend involves a published report that he and Phillip Anschutz of AEG, which owns the Los Angeles Galaxy as well as manages the Sprint Center, are on the short list of American businessmen interested in buying the soccer team Newcastle United of the English Premier League.

The report connected the facts that FC Dallas has hired Hunt’s former college coach, Schellas Hyndman, and that Hyndman’s grandson is a 12-year-old phenom being scouted by Newcastle United, an association Hunt calls “a bit of a stretch.”

“For some reason when there is a team for sale over there, either our family or Phillip Anschutz gets mentioned,” Hunt said. “The truth is we’re very content with our sports investments in the States and not looking to expand it right now.”

Still encouraged

As for the Chiefs, Hunt said he’s been encouraged by the club’s improvement during the past four games, especially offensively.

“The defense is impossible to evaluate at the moment because of all the injuries,” Hunt said, “yet we found a way to be in the game at San Diego and have a chance to win, and we found a way to actually slow down the highest-octane offense in the league (New Orleans) and again be in the game.

“There is a hurdle we have to get over that every team does if they want to be a winning team, and you’ve got to make those plays somewhere along the way or at the end of the game that allow you to win, and we still haven’t learned how to do that.

“But I’m encouraged and very interested to see the last six weeks and how we do in those games.”

kcxiv
11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Cant say i blame him for going to the other game atm. Chiefs arent fun to watch right now. lol

I just hope he does whats right for the Chiefs and their fans.

pr_capone
11-19-2008, 12:48 AM
I'd miss a Chiefs game for a Championship game too.

Sure-Oz
11-19-2008, 12:50 AM
I wish we had THE WIZZZZZZZZZZZZ still we'd be champs every year with Clarks dedication!

bowener
11-19-2008, 12:54 AM
“Championship games come along so few and far between,” Hunt said, “that when you get a chance, the right thing to do is to go there.”

Maybe if he spent less times feathering his 80's do and blowing men he would get to attend a championship game every winter in KC.

Mecca
11-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Clark Hunt cares far more about soccer than he does football...

HemiEd
11-19-2008, 01:23 AM
There is a hurdle we have to get over that every team does if they want to be a winning team, and you’ve got to make those plays somewhere along the way or at the end of the game that allow you to win, and we still haven’t learned how to do that.

Ok, the must learn how to win speak. I have been saying that would be coming, here it is. Now, Herm will be using it every other sentence as his excuse.

Ultra Peanut
11-19-2008, 02:27 AM
One of his franchises is competing for its first-ever championship (surprise, surprise: Hunt-owned teams are known for their mediocrity in other sports, too!), while the other is trying not to lose its 19th game out of 20.

Makes sense.

11-19-2008, 03:09 AM
He considers giving up 30 points to the Saints a good thing? LMAO

JuicesFlowing
11-19-2008, 03:15 AM
[SIZE="5"]

“Championship games come along so [B]few and far between,” Hunt said, “that when you get a chance, the right thing to do is to go there.”

Isn't there one each year?

11-19-2008, 03:17 AM
Isn't there one each year?Several actually.

ChiefJustice
11-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Amazing.

Now he wants to buy another soccer team in England?

I guess you season ticket holders can feel good about that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-19-2008, 06:03 AM
I wish this worthless, legacy, futbol-loving shitbag would sell this fucking team to an owner that gives a shit.

Psyko Tek
11-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Ok, the must learn how to win speak. I have been saying that would be coming, here it is. Now, Herm will be using it every other sentence as his excuse.

you mean like this

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196981

beach tribe
11-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Not saying he shouldn't go to the Chiefs game over a Championship game, but I do wish he would just sell the chiefs, and focus solely on the sport he cares, and actually knows something about. Cause he don't know shit about how to run an NFL franchise.

the Talking Can
11-19-2008, 07:05 AM
i'd rather watch a good team too....

Skip Towne
11-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Thocker :thailor:

Bwana
11-19-2008, 07:14 AM
NTTAWWT

morphius
11-19-2008, 08:03 AM
The only news here is that he may be using the built in excuse of injuries to allow back the Peterson and Edwards calamity next year.

milkman
11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
I fucking hate the Hunts.

StcChief
11-19-2008, 08:23 AM
The only news here is that he may be using the built in excuse of injuries to allow back the Peterson and Edwards calamity next year.exactly how I read it.... Improving could have won...

baring team collapse. Herm back, maybe King Carl again.:cuss:

jidar
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
How the hell are you people going to hold this against him?

I don't watch soccer, but it's a championship game for a franchise he owns, of course he's going to go. I don't even know why he had to come out and explain himself.

This place is about half retarded sometimes.

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 08:32 AM

I don't watch soccer, but it's a championship game for a franchise he owns, of course he's going to go. I don't even know why he had to come out and explain himself.

That's being generous.

BigChiefFan
11-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Sounds like Clark is content with the ho-hum and has already said we are improving. Thanks, Clark, now I can spend my money elsewhere.

vailpass
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
A real owner would attend his NFL team's pre-season game over his soccer team's championship.

notorious
11-19-2008, 09:54 AM
A real owner would attend his NFL team's pre-season game over his soccer team's championship.

LOL

I understand Clark going to watch another one of his teams going to play for the championship. If it was me, I would rather watch the worst team in the NFL than watch the most amazing soccer team in the universe's history. Soccer is just unwatchable IMO.

As for developing a HS football player's foot coordination and leg stanima , soccer is a good training tool.

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Bob Kraft did this last year with his MLS team as well. Guess he is a shitty owner as well.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2008, 10:04 AM
“The defense is impossible to evaluate at the moment because of all the injuries,” Hunt said,

:cuss: :doh!:

the excuse is set ..... Carl,Herm and Gunther return

milkman
11-19-2008, 10:07 AM

I don't give a rat's ass about his attending the soccer game.

this is what pisses me off.

Still encouraged

As for the Chiefs, Hunt said he’s been encouraged by the club’s improvement during the past four games, especially offensively.

“The defense is impossible to evaluate at the moment because of all the injuries,” Hunt said, “yet we found a way to be in the game at San Diego and have a chance to win, and we found a way to actually slow down the highest-octane offense in the league (New Orleans) and again be in the game.

“There is a hurdle we have to get over that every team does if they want to be a winning team, and you’ve got to make those plays somewhere along the way or at the end of the game that allow you to win, and we still haven’t learned how to do that.

“But I’m encouraged and very interested to see the last six weeks and how we do in those games.”

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't give a rat's ass about his attending the soccer game.

this is what pisses me off.

Thats just PR speak. He isnt going to throw anybody under the bus mid-season.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Thats just PR speak. He isnt going to throw anybody under the bus mid-season.
you know ........ as a Chiefs' fan i hear this alot

"don't worry, it's just PR ... they aren't gonna actually tell the truth"

but then the end of the season comes and they keep saying the same thing and *insert issue* stays the same.

in most places the dreaded vote of confidence is dreaded for a reason ... around KC, not so much.

once again ... he didn't have to say anything. Hunt could of just said "we will evaluate everything and everyone at the end of the season"

he didn't, he served up excuse #1 on a silver platter "The offense is looking improved and INJURIES blah,blah,blah"

KCFalcon59
11-19-2008, 10:12 AM
He considers giving up 30 points to the Saints a good thing? LMAO

That is what I thought. 30 points is slowing down an offense?!?!?! :doh!:

milkman
11-19-2008, 10:16 AM
you know ........ as a Chiefs' fan i hear this alot

"don't worry, it's just PR ... they aren't gonna actually tell the truth"

but then the end of the season comes and they keep saying the same thing and *insert issue* stays the same.

in most places the dreaded vote of confidence is dreaded for a reason ... around KC, not so much.

once again ... he didn't have to say anything. Hunt could of just said "we will evaluate everything and everyone at the end of the season"

he didn't, he served up excuse #1 on a silver platter "The offense is looking improved and INJURIES blah,blah,blah"

Yep.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I wish this worthless, legacy, futbol-loving shitbag would sell this fucking team to an owner that gives a shit.

Motion Seconded.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
:cuss: :doh!:

the excuse is set ..... Carl,Herm and Gunther return

Look; I want them gone as much as anyone else, but who here truly believes Clark Hunt is going to void their contracts WITH ONE YEAR LEFT ON THEM!?!?!?

Do you think he cares enough to do that to his wallet????

You're GETTIN' one more year; BUCK UP.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm going to have to change my statement. Originally it was, "Clark Hunt doesn't give a shit about football."

Now, it's Clark Hunt doesn't give a shit about American football.

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Man, there's a lot of sandy ****ing vags in this thread.

He's choosing a Championship game over a regular season game, where the team in question is 1-9.

Is this just an issue because his other team is a SOCCER team?

Would he be catching hell if it were a different, more accepted sport?

Or is he just catching hell because it's what this place does best - irrationally chastize a guy for no good reason?

There are a lot of reasons to give Clark Hunt hell.

This is far from one of them.

Chiefnj2
11-19-2008, 11:09 AM
What difference does it make? He's going to keep Herm around for another year anyway.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Man, there's a lot of sandy ****ing vags in this thread.

He's choosing a Championship game over a regular season game, where the team in question is 1-9.

Is this just an issue because his other team is a SOCCER team?

Would he be catching hell if it were a different, more accepted sport?

Or is he just catching hell because it's what this place does best - irrationally chastize a guy for no good reason?

There are a lot of reasons to give Clark Hunt hell.

This is far from one of them.
i don't think anyone cares about a single game or a soccer game.

this is about Clark Hunt and how much he is focused on the Chiefs.

How much he cares whether the Chiefs win 5 games or 8 games.

people are pissed because it's looking more and more like the Chiefs are "just a business" to Clark and not a passion.

soccer = passion
Chiefs = business investment

this is disappointing and pissing people off

Mr. Laz
11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Look; I want them gone as much as anyone else, but who here truly believes Clark Hunt is going to void their contracts WITH ONE YEAR LEFT ON THEM!?!?!?

Do you think he cares enough to do that to his wallet????

You're GETTIN' one more year; BUCK UP.
so .... we are fucked and should just bend over and like it?

no thanks

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 11:25 AM
i don't think anyone cares about a single game or a soccer game.

this is about Clark Hunt and how much he is focused on the Chiefs.

How much he cares whether the Chiefs win 5 games or 8 games.

people are pissed because it's looking more and more like the Chiefs are "just a business" to Clark and not a passion.

soccer = passion
Chiefs = business investment

this is disappointing and pissing people off

Is it physically impossible for him to be passionate about both?

He's choosing to attend a CHAMPIONSHIP game over a regular season game. This should be a non-issue.

I'd love to know what those of you that are pissed about this would HONESTLY do if you were in his shoes.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2008, 11:41 AM
so .... we are fucked and should just bend over and like it?

no thanks

Not at all. I'm just sayin' get ready now and get in your head, because there will be no change in either of those jobs at the end of the season.

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
When the Hunt family owned the Wizards, both Clark Hunt, and his father, the late Lamar Hunt, also missed Chiefs’ games when their soccer team won the MLS Cup in 2000 and lost in the championship game in 2004.

I'd bet ANYTHING that there was no outrage in these two particular instances...

Why now?

the Talking Can
11-19-2008, 11:51 AM

yup

Frazod
11-19-2008, 11:55 AM

Yeah, if your team owner is named Hunt, they're extremely friggin rare. Can't argue with that. :shake:

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Why now?

Look, here's the Bottom Line; a real owner who gives a shit about his or her team does NOT live a plane flight away from the house. And most certainly does NOT turn the house over to a 20 year charlatan.

When the Chiefs and Packers were Champions way back in the day, the possibilities were wide open. We were all on the same page. All starting at the same slate.

Now, all these years later, Green Bay keeps it's head MORE than above water, and we're consistently pissing in the dark and trying not to hit the toilet seat. We suffer horrendous dry spells and incompetence on a colossal scale regularly.
Being a Chiefs Fan is fuckin' WORK. And I don't think it's too much to ask that the franchise we pump $$$$ in to and stand behind when few in their right mind would, to get their shit together or sell the motherfucker to someone who can.
Jesus Christ; what's up that AFL history house, and new posh-boxes that they're calling "renovations"?
That shit might be a nice or even fitting tribute to Lamar, and the luxury suites might woo a few more of Carl's "True Fans", but what the fuck does that shit do for the overall play of this team?

The success that this miasma-clusterfuck franchise does manage to achieve now and then comes more from good fortune than good planning.

Look at the fucking Lions, man. They suck something awful, but they're getting their asses kicked in a 500 million dollar house!
The Chiefs are a passion to Chiefs fans and Chiefs players. And that's about where it starts and stops.

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Why now?

People like to bitch to bitch.

Big Chief Homer
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
“My brother, Lamar Jr., will be here for Chiefs duty,” Clark Hunt said. “I’m actively involved with the Crew, so it made sense for me to go to the game, and Lamar is here in Kansas City.”

This is the quote that made my stomach turn.

" Chiefs Duty" Makes it sound more like a chore than a passion. Its like someone HAS to be there compared to WANTS to be there.

He's actively involved with the crew? Which means he is more involved with the soccer team then the football team? Or he cares more about the soccer team ? I really dont know how to take this statement but it gave me a really bad feeling.

Now Im not complaining about him being at the championship game,hell if i owned a couple of teams and 1 was in the championship I'd be there too,but he just seems like he doesnt really cares about the chiefs all that much.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
People like to bitch to bitch.

Especially about Quarterbacks; nauseating, ain't it? :evil:

bkkcoh
11-19-2008, 12:49 PM
That is truly a shame, because looking at the remainder of the schedule, it may be the only game that the Chiefs have a legit chance to win. :banghead:

RedThat
11-19-2008, 12:54 PM
i don't see what the big deal is in this?

the man owns 2 franchises. 1 of them happens to be in a championship game, while the other is 1-9.

Now im no Clark Hunt backer here, but if u were in the mans shoes what would you do?

Go to the championship game its common sense.