PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs sign Rookie DE Studebaker off Eagles Practice Squad

NIUhuskies
11-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Chiefs claim Studebaker from Eagles' practice squad

Linebacker Andy Studebaker, an Eagles' sixth-round pick, has been claimed off the practice squad by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Studebaker, from Division III Wheaton College in Illinois, missed the second half of his senior year with a Lisfranc injury and then vaulted back into the minds of NFL scouts with a series of YouTube videos posted by his agent before the draft.

Studebaker had worked out for the Chiefs before the NFL draft and will be on their 53-man roster for Sunday's game against Buffalo.

The Eagles are likely to make a move today to fill the vacancy on their practice squad. *
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20081119_Chiefs_claim_Studebaker_from_Eagles__practice_squad.html

6th Round: LB Andy Studebaker (203rd Overall)

April 27, 2008 | Last Updated: 4/27/08 11:58 PM ET | Comments (0)

Andy Studebaker is a small college sack-master who will move from defensive end to rush linebacker as an NFL rookie. Unfortunately, he suffered a sprained right foot halfway through his senior campaign. He still managed 6.5 tackles for loss and five sacks in only five contests. An Associated Press Little All-American as a junior, he made 55 stops including 24.5 for loss, 17.5 sacks and 19 hurries. That followed a first-team all-conference season as a sophomore with 19.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. The injury forced him to miss the Combine and all-star games, but teams know he has real potential.

High School: Four-year letterwinner ... First Team All-Conference tight end and a unanimous pick at defensive end in 2003 ... Journal Star All-Area Team ... team captain ... also a member of the basketball and track teams ... IBCA All-State in basketball

Positives: Nice size and better-than-expected athleticism ... Very good motor, instincts, work ethic and chase ability ... Excellent closing speed to the quarterback or ballcarrier ... Dominated the tackles at his level of football, getting his hands into their jerseys to push them back into the pocket ... Uses long arms to keep linemen at bay, shed to make a play and wrap up in the backfield or open space ... Good weight-room strength, and it shows on the field ... Can spin and swim to get free of blocks ... First impression as a rookie will be on special teams.

interview and highlights
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzH8IKSNf70&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzH8IKSNf70&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

pro day worjout
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEu5IziKZLs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEu5IziKZLs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sully
11-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Is the guy a LB or DE?
He doesn't look that great in his highlight video, but he does look quick.

Pitt Gorilla
11-19-2008, 08:55 AM
He clearly has a motor. He's built like an iron horse. Etc.

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Andy Studebaker (6-4 255), Wheaton College (Division III)

One of the few Division III prospects our watch list, Studebaker has seen his stock fall this season due to injury. Entering 2007, however, Studebaker's prowess was well-known, as he was viewed as a legitimate mid-round draft choice before an injury-plagued senior season in which he appeared in just five games.

Studebaker, described a freak' by his coaches, landed in Wheaton after failing to draw Division I/I-AA interest as a 205-pound high school senior from a small, downstate school in Illinois. The all-state high jumper became a recruiting coup for Wheaton, emerging as the best pass rusher in Division III and a team captain. In 2005, Studebaker made 55 tackles (19.5 for loss) with 7.5 sacks before taking off in 2006, a season in which he amassed 17.5 sacks and 24.5 tackles for loss en route to All-American recognition and NFL prospect status. Agents and scouts from every NFL team flocked, but two injuries and a sickness limited Studebaker to five games (he recorded five sacks).

He was operated on in November to repair a partially-torn foot ligament, and recovery is expected to take five months, meaning he'll miss all-star games and the Combine. Studebaker is described by coaches as a high character kid. After going down, he was disappointed, but didn't abandon his leadership responsibilities, taking to a role as a quasi-cheerleader/coach. A petition for a medical redshirt was recently denied, so Studebaker's collegiate career is over, but he's expected to make a full recovery. Studebaker dominated inferior opponents with quickness, speed, and strength. In the spring, he was timed in the low 4.5s. If he can regain the speed and athleticism that made him one of the elite small-school prospects entering the season, he could be a steal in the later rounds as a potential stand-up linebacker.

TrebMaxx
11-19-2008, 08:56 AM
What's next? An Edsel?

BigChiefFan
11-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Yes, we are improving, evidenced by having 70 different players in uniform this season. Now if we could get them all to take the field at the same time, we might actually win a game.

Reerun_KC
11-19-2008, 09:00 AM
print'em

who is going to show him the ropes or fillup his tank?

Hoover
11-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Print em!

StcChief
11-19-2008, 09:02 AM
What's next? An Edsel?damn you stole my line. :cuss:

let's hope he's a Abarams Tank....

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2008, 09:05 AM
With a name like "Studebaker", he HAS to be great! :rolleyes:

We'll see...

talastan
11-19-2008, 09:05 AM
:shrug: Who knows? We picked up Bradley and he seems to be doing well, maybe this kid will...:shake: Nah! I'm a Chiefs fan, can't let my hopes get too high.

StcChief
11-19-2008, 09:09 AM
:shrug: Who knows? We picked up Bradley and he seems to be doing well, maybe this kid will...:shake: Nah! I'm a Chiefs fan, can't let my hopes get too high.
Bradley was a decent WR in QB challenged Run orient offense of Bears......
focused RB issues after Thomas Jones, Cedrick "DUI boat man" Bensen, ...
now with Forte. Notice WR dissappear there on a regular basis.

I have more hope this DE is decent at least a good rotation guy.... starter?
He get's chance where Eagles he's buried on depth chart in their D.

Bwana
11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Heh, I guess it can't hurt. It's not like our all world DE's are getting close to the QB's right now.

Demonpenz
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Sweet maybe we can turn Studebaker into a studlinebacker

Cosmos
11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
It ought to be an interesting training camp next year when the Chifes take all these PS pickups to camp for another look.

talastan
11-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm on the Tamba is offically a draft bust bandwagon. A first round pick and his third year he has ONE sack! His injury status just brings up a several more questions about his legitimacy as a first round pick. Herm's draft genious is really showing huh?

alpha_omega
11-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok...i guess if you just keep trying eventually we will hit on somebody.

Anybody know who got the ax to make room in the garage for the Studebaker?

chiefzilla1501
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
This is interesting. Are they gonna use him to play the falcon?

notorious
11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Does he look like he is running in backwards all the time?

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2008, 10:07 AM
One of my high school friends played college football with him.

ChiTown
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
6'3" and 250#'s.

Good size for an OLB, not so much for a DE.

raybec 4
11-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Well, he's no Wallace Gillberry but that may be too much to ask for.

Rain Man
11-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Oh, god! Yes! Yes!

See post #37 here: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5116270#post5116270

See post #25 here: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184071&highlight=studebaker&page=4

I thought Studebaker had the potential to be an Elvis Dumervil-type player (who incidentally I also wanted to draft, being a genius and all). He's a great pickup.

Micjones
11-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Question is, are they actually gonna get him on the field and let him play?

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Question is, are they actually gonna get him on the field and let him play?

Wouldn't know why not. We have no one at DE.

Doesn't he have to be activated the next three weeks, since he was signed off another team's PS?

dj56dt58
11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
This is interesting. Are they gonna use him to play the falcon?

unless Gaily takes over as D corrdinator..probably not

beach tribe
11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I like this kid. Let's hope he can contribute somehow.
Sure as hell can't hurt with this sqaud of scrubs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2008, 11:37 AM
6'3" and 250#'s.

Good size for an OLB, not so much for a DE.

My thought exactly. Maybe this heralds a return to sanity, and the abandonment of the 'Edwards Kansas City Turd 2', rush 'em up the middle/non existent pass-rush?

Dare to dream..

J Diddy
11-19-2008, 11:38 AM
unless Gaily takes over as D corrdinator..probably not

um the falcons was guns idea

Micjones
11-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Wouldn't know why not. We have no one at DE.

Doesn't he have to be activated the next three weeks, since he was signed off another team's PS?

Just seems to me that other players who seriously need to be on the field and be evaluated aren't seeing PT.

Richardson and Taylor need to be on the damn field.
We have 6 games left to determine if we have ANYTHING in either of them or if RG and RT become big big priorities in the off-season.

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Just seems to me that other players who seriously need to be on the field and be evaluated aren't seeing PT.

We have 6 games left to determine if we have ANYTHING in either of them or if RG and RT become big big priorities in the off-season.

Good point.

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
If he can make a tackle on a kickoff I will be happy.

talastan
11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Jackie Battle was promoted to the 53-man roster as well.....is Charles not playing this week?

Alphaman
11-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok...i guess if you just keep trying eventually we will hit on somebody.

Anybody know who got the ax to make room in the garage for the Studebaker?

My guess is that McBride went to the IR.

RedThat
11-19-2008, 12:24 PM
The Chiefs DEOTF lol

RealSNR
11-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Is it can be super bowl ticket print timez plz?

Alphaman
11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Jackie Battle was promoted to the 53-man roster as well.....is Charles not playing this week?

they've also added linebacker Curtis Gatewood. So now we should begin speculation on the 3 roster moves the Chiefs made to add these players:

1) McBride to IR
2) Donnie Edwards to IR
3) Celestine Cut
4) Macklin Cut
5) Colclough Cut
6) Webb Cut
7) Darling Cut

I'm going with 3 of those moves.

talastan
11-19-2008, 12:49 PM
they've also added linebacker Curtis Gatewood. So now we should begin speculation on the 3 roster moves the Chiefs made to add these players:

1) McBride to IR
2) Donnie Edwards to IR
3) Celestine Cut
4) Macklin Cut
5) Colclough Cut
6) Webb Cut
7) Darling Cut

I'm going with 3 of those moves.

These three would be my guess, although McBride to IR is probable.

raybec 4
11-19-2008, 01:08 PM
These three would be my guess, although McBride to IR is probable.

If they put Donnie on IR they may as well throw his retirement party now.

Archie Bunker
11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
They cut Savage, Walden and put McBride on IR.

Added Studebaker, Gatewood, and Battle.

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/458

milkman
11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
If they put Donnie on IR they may as well throw his retirement party now.

They should have thrown it two years ago.

chiefs1111
11-19-2008, 01:19 PM

But Savage was awesome on kick off returns..... ROFL

RustShack
11-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Erik Walden part two.

The Franchise
11-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Does that mean that K-Rob is taking over kick return and punt return duties?

Alphaman
11-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Does that mean that K-Rob is taking over kick return and punt return duties?

It has to mean that. I really liked Walden. I thought he was our best special teams guy.

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 01:45 PM
It has to mean that. I really liked Walden. I thought he was our best special teams guy.

Yeah, I'm very surprised they released Walden.

beach tribe
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM

I know it. We basically have 6 more pre-season games left, and They still SackIntosh stealing reps from guys who desperately need experience. WTF IS THE DEAL????

Rain Man
11-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I know it. We basically have 6 more pre-season games left, and They still SackIntosh stealing reps from guys who desperately need experience. WTF IS THE DEAL????

We're still in a playoff race, and one more loss could eliminate us.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
But Savage was awesome on kick off returns..... ROFL

Savage was tougher than any of those two cream-puffs; let's see one of them fools take that Denver hit and keep rolling. NOT!

el borracho
11-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Looks like the bad guy from the first Karate Kid movie.

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Found out that Studebaker will be playing in our nickel rush situations on Sunday.

DaneMcCloud
11-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I'm very surprised they released Walden.

I'd be even more surprised if they don't re-sign him at some point.

I don't know what happened but the guy was tackling everybody on special teams the first few games of the season.

raybec 4
11-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Looks like the bad guy from the first Karate Kid movie.

Sweep the leg.