PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What is the difference between the "Kgun" & the "Pistol"?

petegz28
11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Ok, besides the obvious that one had Jim Kelly, what is the difference between the two offenses?

I just keep hearing a lot of people say the "Pistol" offense won't work but it seemed too for Buffalo...or am I missing a significant difference?

Hammock Parties
11-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not clear on what the KGun actually was. Just a fancy name for Buffalo running the no huddle, or something else?

Demonpenz
11-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't remember thurman actually lining up behind the qb like an I formation

SAUTO
11-19-2008, 07:29 PM
i really dont get why it wont work either

SAUTO
11-19-2008, 07:29 PM
hell lj had a good game if you take away the Goalline carries

petegz28
11-19-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm not clear on what the KGun actually was. Just a fancy name for Buffalo running the no huddle, or something else?

As I understand it, it was a a single back offense with 1 TE and 3 WR's, a.k.a. "the spread" offense.

I just keep hearing these announcers talk about how we can't play this style of offense all the time and I am wondering why they think this?

SAUTO
11-19-2008, 07:32 PM
As I understand it, it was a a single back offense with 1 TE and 3 WR's, a.k.a. "the spread" offense.

I just keep hearing these announcers talk about how we can't play this style of offense all the time and I am wondering why they think this?

they are stoopid?

chief52
11-19-2008, 07:43 PM
The "pistol" is something new started by Nevada Reno's Chris Ault in 2005 I believe. The difference is that the QB is closer to the center than in a "shotgun" formation and also there is a back behind the QB so the threat of a run is still there.

Do not remember the Kgun...as someone else stated, I think it was just the shotgun with Kelly at the helm.

petegz28
11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
The "pistol" is something new started by Nevada Reno's Chris Ault in 2005 I believe. The difference is that the QB is closer to the center than in a "shotgun" formation and also there is a back behind the QB so the threat of a run is still there.

Do not remember the Kgun...as someone else stated, I think it was just the shotgun with Kelly at the helm.

I like it. I do. I have nothing against running a "staggered I" with a FB as opposed to a true "I". But if you are going to run "singleback", wtf does it matter really where the QB lines up? I don't understand the knock on the "pistol".

chief52
11-19-2008, 07:49 PM
If I remember correctly, Thurmon Thomas lined up next to Kelly and therefore could only take a handoff going laterally. With the running back lined up behind the qb in the Pistol, the back is running directly at the line of scrimmage. He therefore is building his momentum and is able to look at the play developing in front of him.

Not sure...just thinking out loud I guess. Watched a couple of Nevada games and they did some explaining.

chief52
11-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I like it. I do. I have nothing against running a "staggered I" with a FB as opposed to a true "I". But if you are going to run "singleback", wtf does it matter really where the QB lines up? I don't understand the knock on the "pistol".

I like it too. I think one reason they say it will not work is that the "Pistol" as used at college has the QB as a running threat. The QB at Nevada is the second leading rusher. Obviously that would not work in the pros. But the Chiefs seem to be using their adaption of it...

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Buffalo used a fullback alot - Carwell Gardner's name ring a bell. I think you guys are getting the shotgun formation confused with the spread.