PDA

View Full Version : Football Yellow First Down Line

Skip Towne
11-19-2008, 09:04 PM
and the blue LOS line have greatly enhanced my enjoyment of televised football. (both college and pro) Before that was the instant replay. The first instant replays cost $30,000 per copy so we only got one or two per game. Multiple camera angles have been great too. What else has changed in the last 25 years?

Buehler445
11-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Quality of picture.

Hammock Parties
11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I bet you jumped for joy when they dumped the leather helmets, too.

The forward pass was also a hell of a lot of fun.

Thig Lyfe
11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
You must've been real excited about the forward pass, Skip.

Thig Lyfe
11-19-2008, 09:07 PM
I bet you jumped for joy when they dumped the leather helmets, too.

The forward pass was also a hell of a lot of fun.

CURSES

Bugeater
11-19-2008, 09:09 PM
The on-screen score/game clock/down and distance thingy was teh bestest idea ever.

orange
11-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Every game telecast.

LiL stumppy
11-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Skill of the players.

KCChiefsMan
11-19-2008, 09:13 PM
what was his name, Dr. Scott Wheeler I think, at KU told us that he was an owner of the company who invented that yellow line. Probably the best innovation in broadcasting football evar

chefsos
11-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Internet message boards...dunno if that's good or bad.

Rain Man
11-19-2008, 09:14 PM
I posted about this once, but the addition of multiple cameras has diminished my enjoyment. I often will watch a play and see some players come flying in on a tackle, but before I can figure out who they are, the camera switches to show Peyton Manning or Randy Moss or Ladainian Tomlinson walking around. The cameras switch too fast from the action to the cheesecake shots of the stars, and as a result, there are times when I can't even figure out who made the tackle.

Skip Towne
11-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Quality of picture.

Very true. I watched as Notre Dame ended Oklahoma's 47 game winning streak on Nov. 16, 1957. We had an outdoor antenna that was 70 miles from the transmitter. The picture was so snowy you couldn't see the ball on pass plays.

Skip Towne
11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
You must've been real excited about the forward pass, Skip.

That's before my time but it pissed me off when they started screwing facemasks on helmets. Bunch of pussies!!

RJ
11-19-2008, 09:37 PM
I posted about this once, but the addition of multiple cameras has diminished my enjoyment. I often will watch a play and see some players come flying in on a tackle, but before I can figure out who they are, the camera switches to show Peyton Manning or Randy Moss or Ladainian Tomlinson walking around. The cameras switch too fast from the action to the cheesecake shots of the stars, and as a result, there are times when I can't even figure out who made the tackle.

I agree with that. You can't hardly get focused on anything before they switch to a sideline shot of a coach or marquee player. I'd rather watch the guys on the field than Belichick mumbling something behind a clipboard.

Skip Towne
11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I agree with that. You can't hardly get focused on anything before they switch to a sideline shot of a coach or marquee player. I'd rather watch the guys on the field than Belichick mumbling something behind a clipboard.

Ok, we're cutting off all of your views of Erin Andrews on the sidelines.

Hammock Parties
11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Tivo was a pretty good addition. I don't actually use it, though. I let the game run because I'm capping it at the same time.

RJ
11-19-2008, 09:48 PM
A little more than 25 years, but the goal posts being moved from the front to the back of the end zone. That changed not only strategy, but also the look of the field.

Which makes me think of Morris Stroud. Perhaps had the goal posts been in the back of the end zone, Stram would have put Podolak or Warren McVea back there to try to return a miss instead of Stroud to try to block the FG - which was eventually determined to be the NFL equivalent of goaltending.

RJ
11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok, we're cutting off all of your views of Erin Andrews on the sidelines.

I'll be fine with that until she starts getting nekkid.

DaFace
11-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Ahh...nice to see Skip fishing for his next 100-post thread. :p

Groves
11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I like that yellow halo around the ball so I can see it as it goes up and down the rink.

alanm
11-19-2008, 10:28 PM
The on-screen score/game clock/down and distance thingy was teh bestest idea ever.
I like that too but I wish they would confine it to just before/after a play and not leave it up constantly. :shake:
Especially on espn where they have a running line score at the same time at the bottom.

Skip Towne
11-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Ahh...nice to see Skip fishing for his next 100-post thread. :p

This one has no chance at 100 replies. Not enough old people.

Bugeater
11-19-2008, 10:31 PM
I like that too but I wish they would confine it to just before/after a play and not leave it up constantly. :shake:
Especially on espn where they have a running line score at the same time at the bottom.

Eh, that would defeat the purpose of it. I like it because sometimes I'll have a game on while I'm doing other stuff and it makes it easier to follow what's going on without paying constant attention to it. I could do without the ESPN bottom line, that's just there for fantasy geeks.

headsnap
11-19-2008, 10:33 PM
the retirement of John Madden...

whatsmynameagain
11-19-2008, 10:54 PM

John Madden is football

Bugeater
11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
John Madden is football

John Madden is a fucking annoying blabbermouth.

DT58HOF
11-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Skill of the players.

yeah it has really went downhill

DT58HOF
11-20-2008, 01:49 AM
I agree he sounds like an idiot that knows nothing about football, how in the world he was a coach is beyond me.
Sad he makes all that money to do a football game and to just look dumb and say dumb things, and they pay to use his name on the eas sports game is just dumb!!

JuicesFlowing
11-20-2008, 02:40 AM
I like the yellow first down line but occasionally it's not exactly accurate.

Thig Lyfe
11-20-2008, 02:53 AM
yeah it has really went downhill

Has went?

Fairplay
11-20-2008, 03:20 AM
The yellow line is everywhere

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gELvYh2NvL4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gELvYh2NvL4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hermcock
11-20-2008, 03:25 AM
25 years ago the starting lineups were introduced as graphics on the screen. Then FOX debuted with the mug shot starting lineups. In 2002, ABC Monday Night Football went to the video player introductions with alma maters, which is still the best starting lineup presentation in television. Good thing NBC brought that great innovation over to Sunday Night Football when they brought on Michaels/Madden.

One more thing, fuck ESPN for putting the starting lineups in fine print at the top of the screen where nobody can see them. Fuck Al Jaffe and the production team at ESPN for taking us back to the stone ages.

PLAYER INTROS SHOULD BE DONE WITH MUG SHOTS OR VIDEO INTRODUCTIONS. GET WITH THE TIMES!!!

Skip Towne
11-20-2008, 07:49 AM
25 years ago the starting lineups were introduced as graphics on the screen. Then FOX debuted with the mug shot starting lineups. In 2002, ABC Monday Night Football went to the video player introductions with alma maters, which is still the best starting lineup presentation in television. Good thing NBC brought that great innovation over to Sunday Night Football when they brought on Michaels/Madden.

One more thing, fuck ESPN for putting the starting lineups in fine print at the top of the screen where nobody can see them. Fuck Al Jaffe and the production team at ESPN for taking us back to the stone ages.

PLAYER INTROS SHOULD BE DONE WITH MUG SHOTS OR VIDEO INTRODUCTIONS. GET WITH THE TIMES!!!

Jack Lambert, Linebacker, Buzzard Breath, Wyoming.

Saulbadguy
11-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Fantasy football. I don't approve.

Demonpenz
11-20-2008, 08:34 AM
It always seems we take a step forward and a couple steps back, because they already have the hardcore fans, they have to do shit for the wives, gay people, and non sports fans. I can't really think of anything that really helped my watching experience. I am surprised when I watch the old games from the 90's that the game was actually pretty good quality.