PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs are losing games and losing fans

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Chiefs are losing games and losing fans (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/899827.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Two Raytown men, their fingers black with grease, spend their time under engine hoods. They don’t make as much money as they’d like, but who does these days?

They’re Chiefs fans, and that gets them through some long days testing shocks and rebuilding fuel pumps. The team is 1-9. Most times, the talk turns to brighter days and what they would like to see happen this offseason, whether that is replacing a linebacker or the general manager.

“No matter what, they’re going to have fans that love them,” said Justin Stidham, the 33-year-old owner of Emerald Automotive. “I’m one of those guys. But when you’ve been let down for so long …”

Stidham used to go to two or three Chiefs games each season. He hasn’t gone this year.

Thousands of Chiefs fans have done the same thing. Kansas City’s season is all but over. The Chiefs have lost 19 of their last 20 games, dating to last season, and that has tested the faith of many fans, and they are showing it by not attending games.

Said mechanic Nick Cooper: “I guess I’d go, if somebody gave me tickets.”

Then Cooper rested his forearms on the fender of a Ford Expedition and thought it over.

“Then again, there’s parking,” he said. “And food. And I can sit home and see it better. Nah, I have better things to do.”

The team announced last Sunday that more than 74,000 tickets had been sold for the 30-20 loss to the New Orleans Saints. But thousands of seats were empty on that sunny afternoon. Similar scenes at other home games have caused worry at Arrowhead Stadium that fans are losing interest in paying to watch a team that, as recently as five years ago, needed a waiting list to accommodate ticket demands.

Things are different this season. The team has sent out notices that tickets — even premium lower-level seats — were available days before five of the six home games so far, including Sunday against Buffalo. The team has booked famous musicians to sing the national anthem and offered ticket discounts. Still, most of this season’s home games have threatened to fall short of sellouts, a rarity among NFL teams.

“We need to continue to give them a show,” said Bill Newman, the team’s senior vice president for administration. “We knew that, during a rebuilding period, we needed to do all we could to be competitive. What we didn’t see coming was this economic downturn. It’s taking its toll, as well as the team’s performance.”

An Overland Park ticket brokerage, TicketsForLess.com, once could not keep Chiefs tickets in stock. Now, owner Dan Rouen said, most of the calls he receives about Chiefs tickets are from fans hoping to sell, not buy.

“The Chiefs are definitely not a moneymaker,” Rouen said. He added that for the first time in its five-year history his company will take a loss on Chiefs tickets and that all seats sell below face value.

A slight loss would be a windfall for some fans. The online ticket brokerage Stub- Hub.com offered dozens of tickets for the Buffalo game at $12 each and less. The team’s lowest price for an individual seat was $35, already a discount.

On Tuesday, the Kansas City shopping region on Craigs- list.org was swarmed with 55 posts offering tickets to Sunday’s game as low as $15 per seat. Some sellers threw in parking passes, and one was so desperate that he offered to trade his tickets for goods.

One of the sellers was Cory Matt. Matt, a car dealer in Lee’s Summit, decided after the team raised ticket prices last offseason — the Chiefs went 4-12 in 2007 — he no longer would attend games. He said that after this season, he won’t buy season tickets, as he had done the last 10 years.

“They’re not winning, and they don’t seem to care,” Matt said. “So I don’t care. I figure my time is worth something.”

Matt said each of his club-level tickets has a face value of $105. He said he accepted an offer Tuesday morning to sell his seats for the Buffalo game for $42 each. He sold his tickets last week for $30 apiece.

“That’s the most I can get,” he said. “The economy is bad, and the Chiefs are no good.”

There was a joke in the 1970s and ’80s that made the rounds in Kansas City. That was when the Chiefs were at their worst, a dozen losing seasons in two decades. There was a line about going to church and leaving your two Chiefs tickets in the car, in open view on the passenger seat. Upon leaving church, you discovered the car window on that side had been shattered. Taking a look, you saw there were now four tickets on the seat instead of two.

The men working at the Raytown garage said the Chiefs have a long way to go before things get that bad. Still …

“It’s unfortunate,” Stidham said. “Never thought you’d rather go see the Royals over the Chiefs.”

Four miles north and west, a polite woman working the Chiefs ticket office spent lunchtime laughing with a co-worker. There was no line and no one in sight with a Sunday at Arrowhead in mind.

An inch-thick stack of tickets sat at the woman’s right. She wouldn’t give her name. She insisted she had sold some seats Wednesday and expected to sell more. But just in case, she had lined up enough work to carry her through the rest of another quiet Wednesday.

“Believe me,” she said, smiling through the glass window, “I have plenty of other things to do.”

Hammock Parties
11-19-2008, 11:36 PM
This article will make King Carl boil with rage.

Bugeater
11-19-2008, 11:43 PM
An Overland Park ticket brokerage, TicketsForLess.com, once could not keep Chiefs tickets in stock. Now, owner Dan Rouen said, most of the calls he receives about Chiefs tickets are from fans hoping to sell, not buy.

“The Chiefs are definitely not a moneymaker,” Rouen said. He added that for the first time in its five-year history his company will take a loss on Chiefs tickets and that all seats sell below face value.
Haha, good. Ticket brokers are scumbags.

TEX
11-20-2008, 06:48 AM
I feel the same way. I used to go to a couple of games a year (fly in form Houston), but stopped that practice last season and will continue to do so as long as Carl and Herm are there. I also have not purchased, nor will I purchase, any Chiefs merchandice. Actually - I don't even wear the stuff anymore and won't. They're still my favorite team, but I have much better things to do with my time than to live and die witn an organization who can't steer clear of obvious mistakes. I, like so many others have given a lifetime of support to the Chiefs (I actually remember Super Bowl 4) and deserve better. Hiring Herm Edwards was the last straw for me.

Goapics1
11-20-2008, 06:53 AM
The Chiefs have lost 19 of their last 20 games

Everytime this is brought up, it is still hard to fathom. Unbelievable.

cookster50
11-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Everytime this is brought up, it is still hard to fathom. Unbelievable.

Thank you, Herm!!!!

tomahawk kid
11-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Haha, good. Ticket brokers are scumbags.

This.

The guy is Oak Park Mall is a real piece of work........

kc rush
11-20-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm sure the economy has a lot to do with dwindling sales, but losing is probably the bigger factor. If this was a winning team, people would find money. I'm sure, though, that everyone at 1 Arrowhead Drive will blame the economy in an effort to save their jobs.

Saulbadguy
11-20-2008, 08:10 AM
At this point I enjoy going to the games because the feeling of uncertainty is gone. You know they will lose, but if they win, it's a major upset. I don't get upset at all when they lose anymore, and the crowd is much more entertaining when the team sucks.

KCUnited
11-20-2008, 08:12 AM
tr00 fans, mount up.

PhillyChiefFan
11-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I still get upset when they lose, mostly because I am surrounded by other teams fans and I hear it from all sides.

Including Jets fans who are now coming out of hiding and all of the sudden have loud mouths, big balls, and a brand spankin new Favre jersey. No offense to Jets fans on here, cause I know there are some, but some of your fans are worse than Eagles fans...and they hate Santa.

I am just hoping that Clark Hunt reads this and does something about it, ticket sales and merchandise sales wouldn't be hurting so much if the team could stop a drive or score from the 3 yd line on 1st and Goal.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Good, maybe ownership is getting the message.

PhillyChiefFan
11-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Good, maybe ownership is getting the message.

But will he sack up and fire CP and HE and bring in talent? that is what is on my mind.

I just don't want to see him throw us a bone, I want to see strides made and proof that he wants to win a SuperBowl, maybe his MLS championship team will cause him to ponder that.

FloridaMan88
11-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Funny how the recession during the early 1990's didn't hurt the Chiefs ability to fill Arrowhead. If Clark is going to try to convince himself that the bad economy, and not the fact Herm has driven this franchise into the ground is the primary reason for the increased fan apathy, he is even dumber than I thought.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Funny how the recession during the early 1990's didn't hurt the Chiefs ability to fill Arrowhead. If Clark is going to try to convince himself that the bad economy, and not the fact Herm has driven this franchise into the ground is the primary reason for the increased fan apathy, he is even dumber than I thought.
I would think he would look at the other teams and their ticket sales and see that this has very little to do with a recession and alot to do with frustration of the organization.

Bwana
11-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I feel the same way. I used to go to a couple of games a year (fly in form Houston), but stopped that practice last season and will continue to do so as long as Carl and Herm are there. I also have not purchased, nor will I purchase, any Chiefs merchandice. Actually - I don't even wear the stuff anymore and won't. They're still my favorite team, but I have much better things to do with my time than to live and die witn an organization who can't steer clear of obvious mistakes. I, like so many others have given a lifetime of support to the Chiefs (I actually remember Super Bowl 4) and deserve better. Hiring Herm Edwards was the last straw for me.

Indeed. I enjoy flying in for a game or two each year, but there is no way in hell I am going to dump all that money to come and see the product they are fielding these days. I plan to fly back out and see some games when these clowns put a team on the field that is worth coming to see. :shake:

Rausch
11-20-2008, 10:04 AM
I haven't missed (meaning not watched) a game since 94. The Chiefs games were always my release, my hobby, the reward at the end of a hard week. They were blue collar, never flashy, they just seemed to out work and out heart the other team. Week after week.

I've skipped any number of events I should have been at and lost a lot of money turning down work. Last year is the first time I haven't gone to at least one game.

I don't plan to go this year either.

It's one extreme to the next and the whole while Peterson is trying to latch on to the coattails of whatever fad offense/defense has won a championchip lately. We'll copy them. Martyball, then the west coast with Montana, then back to Martyball, then whatever the hell Gun's time would be called, then DV's team, then Herm/DV hybrid.

He seems to be that last guy to hear about a party and about 10 minutes after he shows up the cops get there and shut it down.

The new extreme is youth. All youth, nothing but youth, piss on free agency. Well, when you turn your back completely on any aspect of building a team you fail. We could have plugged in a few old and wise vets to fill holes until we could draft the youth to fill some spots but the only vet we signed that didn't belong on the practice squad was Donnie Edwards. We were a sick amount under the cap and decided to sit on it.

I guess the short version is that after a period of time it doesn't matter why you fail. You're failing, you have been, and you still are. At some point they quit being my release, my hobby, my one gauranteed enjoyment of the week and started being yet another thing that just pissed me off.

Eventually the losing just turns you to apathy and enough is enough...

smittysbar
11-20-2008, 10:44 AM
I gave up my season tickets after Herms 1st year, and have not been back since. They fire HERM AND CARL, and I will start to attend the games again. Like other posters have said, I don't want them to just throw us a bone, I want to see them be aggressive in going out and finding an up and coming or established GM, not a piss ant of Carl. The good ol' boy system has not worked, I am fed up with it.

I also do not buy merchandise. The only real power a fan has, is not attending or buying the product. As far as I am concerned, if you are buying the shit they are selling, you are part of the problem too. Though I do realize that the common fan doesn't take it as serious as most of us.

gblowfish
11-20-2008, 11:14 AM
They're $31 million under the salary cap JUST THIS YEAR, people. The team is worth over $1 BILLION, and as long as TV revenue is shared, you could put a chimp with tourette's syndrome in charge and the team would STILL make money.

This year/next year all about stadium renovation. That's all it is. 2010 look for major price increase/PSLs. I smell it coming.

Rausch
11-20-2008, 11:17 AM
They're $31 million under the salary cap JUST THIS YEAR, people. The team is worth over $1 BILLION, and as long as TV revenue is shared, you could put a chimp with tourette's syndrome in charge and the team would STILL make money.

We do and it does.

FringeNC
11-20-2008, 11:31 AM
It'll be interesting to see what the Chiefs do next year with their unsold tickets. Won't season ticket sales be down dramatically, especially given how easy it is now to be tickets online on a game by game basis? Very few fans value the seats at face value or above.

My guess is that the Chiefs will very discretely dump tons of unsold seats to ticket brokers at huge discounts. They certainly won't cut prices to everyone because there are idiots at there that don't know what the market value of tickets is, and will fork over the money to Clark and Carl.

StcChief
11-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Season tickets for resale.... big deal Carl already got your money......

Dartgod
11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
They’re Chiefs fans, and that gets them through some long days testing shocks and rebuilding fuel pumps.
Rebuilding fuel pumps? :spock:

HemiEd
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM

Yeah, they have been leaning on that recession excuse, for a while already. It is not just wins or losses, it is the fact that this team has no leadership at HC.

HemiEd
11-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Rebuilding fuel pumps? :spock:

I wondered if anyone would catch that. I don't think they have put a rebuildable fuel pump on a car since the 50s.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2008, 02:42 PM
The team is worth over $1 BILLION, and as long as TV revenue is shared, you could put a chimp with tourette's syndrome in charge and the team would STILL make money.

Alot of that is due to the fact of how valuable and popular the NFL has become. Id be willing to bet the Chiefs could go 1-15 for 5 years straight and still never return to the 70's and 80's. The mainstream popularity of the NFL has exploded over the past 20-30 years.

Mecca
11-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Alot of that is due to the fact of how valuable and popular the NFL has become. Id be willing to bet the Chiefs could go 1-15 for 5 years straight and still never return to the 70's and 80's. The mainstream popularity of the NFL has exploded over the past 20-30 years.

We have a portion of this fan base, it's a pretty big portion that as content to win the home games win 10 games and go to the playoffs and lose......why?

Because to them the Chiefs on Sunday was their social event and a reason to get drunk and "party" I still feel some are upset the Chiefs ruined their event.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 03:45 PM
At this point I enjoy going to the games because the feeling of uncertainty is gone. You know they will lose, but if they win, it's a major upset. I don't get upset at all when they lose anymore, and the crowd is much more entertaining when the team sucks.

ROFL Ouch.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2008, 03:58 PM
We have a portion of this fan base, it's a pretty big portion that as content to win the home games win 10 games and go to the playoffs and lose......why?

Because to them the Chiefs on Sunday was their social event and a reason to get drunk and "party" I still feel some are upset the Chiefs ruined their event.

I wont argue with that.

Carlota69
11-20-2008, 04:10 PM
It seems to me that Clark doesnt care about this team, AT ALL! Not even a little bit. The Chiefs seems to be an afterthought, if thought of at all.

I just wonder if things are going to stay the same, or worse, unless we get new ownership.

I mean, and no disrespect to the Hunt family, but even with Lamar, he kept Carl around. And Carl has been the ultimate problem.

Or is ownership the ultimate problem? Thats what I've been wondering lately.

ChiefGator
11-20-2008, 04:11 PM

They ruined my Sunday parties last year. This year, I strangely have hope. Or at least more interest since we get to see the young kids play.

Mecca
11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Clark cares more about soccer than he does football.

Carlota69
11-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Clark cares more about soccer than he does football.

Exactly. I've been finding myself wishing he would sell the team. Because at least you know Carl and Herm are Goners. No self-respecting Owner/GM would put up with this BS.

Mecca
11-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Exactly. I've been finding myself wishing he would sell the team. Because at least you know Carl and Herm are Goners. No self-respecting Owner/GM would put up with this BS.

We're dealing with the same shit we've always dealt with, we have an owner that doesn't care as much about winning as numerous other owners do.

MichaelH
11-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't mind the losing record. I've been a Chief's fan through similar. What I am sick of is the owner and the GM's lack of concern for the junk of the product they have. They believe they have loyal fans and as long as the stands are full and merchandise is selling, what problem. Also, when they finally seem to correctly address one problem, three other things that have been sadly ignored seem to be suddenly critical.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 06:52 PM
I don't mind the losing record. I've been a Chief's fan through similar. What I am sick of is the owner and the GM's lack of concern for the junk of the product they have. They believe they have loyal fans and as long as the stands are full and merchandise is selling, what problem. Also, when they finally seem to correctly address one problem, three other things that have been sadly ignored seem to be suddenly critical.

That's what comes with your head honcho wearing three hats. It would be fine if the money being saved on two other salaries was put to good use, but it never is.

This team needs so much right now, especially with the draft coming up. But all we've got to show at the moment as it relates to the future is a 'Lamar Museum', some new "posh-boxes", and a hope that Carl's 'Garage Sale Pick Me-Up'-signing method will be more effective than not.

The whole business end of this franchise is just comically sad.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I despise the Hunt family. They are an embarrassment to the NFL. Woo Hoo, Lamar was innovative 48 years ago.

I don't give a fuck.

Spott
11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
This.

The guy is Oak Park Mall is a real piece of work........

That guy always was a tool.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
I despise the Hunt family. They are an embarrassment to the NFL. Woo Hoo, Lamar was innovative 48 years ago.

I don't give a fuck.

Damn Hamas; you've got balls as big as Church Bells! ROFL I'm grateful to Lamar for bringing the team here but like you, that's about where it begins and ends.

If Clark loves succer so much, let him handle that, and turn the franchise over to one of the other siblings that loves Football. Or do the Green Bay thing, and sell it to the fans/taxpayers.

It's a shame Bi-State never made it to the floor; it would have paved the way to exactly that.

I'll give you all of my Casino Cash if you go to Chiefs Coalition and post your thread under the title:

"I despise the Hunt Family".
Hell, I'll give you my Casino Cash from now until the end of time for THAT level of quality entertainment! :thumb:

Mecca
11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Damn Hamas; you've got balls as big as Church Bells! ROFL I'm grateful to Lamar for bringing the team here but like you, that's about where it begins and ends.

If Clark loves succer so much, let him handle that, and turn the franchise over to one of the other siblings that loves Football. Or do the Green Bay thing, and sell it to the fans/taxpayers.

It's a shame Bi-State never made it to the floor; it would have paved the way to exactly that.

I'll give you all of my Casino Cash if you go to Chiefs Coalition and post your thread under the title:

Hell, I'll give you my Casino Cash from now until the end of time for THAT level of quality entertainment! :thumb:

Psh I agree with him and I'd do it in a second, but I don't mind pissing people off...

milkman
11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Psh I agree with him and I'd do it in a second, but I don't mind pissing people off...

I believe that we've all discussed our distaste for the Hunts.

About the most useless fucking owners in the NFL.

StcChief
11-20-2008, 10:48 PM
I believe that we've all discussed our distaste for the Hunts.

About the most useless ****ing owners in the NFL.Georgia and now her boys....... John Robinson should have mandated the team sold a give money to family....

this town is finally realizing what a POS deal the Lambs were..... (still snickering when I hear about it)

boogblaster
11-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Richie Rich doesn't care if you like him or not .. He still makes money .. Thats whats wrong with this whole frickin' country ....

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Richie Rich doesn't care if you like him or not .. He still makes money .. Thats whats wrong with this whole frickin' country ....

Yep.

Reerun_KC
11-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Well we used to go to 2-3 games a year. Spent alot of vacation days driving to and from KC for the weekend. Lots of money drive from FL or LA when we lived in the south....

I havent been to a game since Dead Beat Coach arrived... Wont go until him AND Carl are both gone...

Been missing Chiefs Football since 2006!

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM

Hold on...

Reerun_KC
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Seems like the Chiefs Coalition board is nothing more than a bunch of yuppies sucking each other off to pictures of Herm...

That board blows...

dtebbe
11-20-2008, 11:15 PM
"They’re Chiefs fans, and that gets them through some long days testing shocks and rebuilding fuel pumps."

ROFL Yea, testing shocks and rebuilding fuel pumps... no wonder they're not making as much money as they would like.. ROFLROFL

DT

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Seems like the Chiefs Coalition board is nothing more than a bunch of yuppies sucking each other off to pictures of Herm...

That board blows...

It's the Whine and Cheese Social Club. If you use the phrase "Wine and Cheese' fans, you WILL get a "stern" slap on the wrist from the Dandy you just insulted.:rolleyes:

Reerun_KC
11-20-2008, 11:21 PM
It's the Whine and Cheese Social Club. If you use the phrase "Wine and Cheese' fans, you WILL get a "stern" slap on the wrist from the Dandy you just insulted.:rolleyes:

ROFL

I guess that is why I never associate over there...

I have read a couple of threads.. But it isnt of much substance...

Sure-Oz
11-20-2008, 11:31 PM
theres others chiefs boards besides chiefsplanet???!11111

Reerun_KC
11-20-2008, 11:35 PM
theres others chiefs boards besides chiefsplanet???!11111

Yeah that is prue un-american!

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 11:41 PM
ROFL

I split because the mods are mostly out of towners who were letting two fans of other teams( the Colts and the Ravens, disrespectively )run roughshod all over Chiefs fans, and showing those two clowns preference when you had the "gall" to call them on their bullshit.

I see you live in Edmond. How IS old 'Frontier City' these days? Haven't been down that way in a while; most of our immediate relatives are all dead now.
Have either or both of the Mathis Brothers been arrested for gerbil buggery or serial killing yet?
Is old Gary England still crankin' out the weather report?

Anywho...

Reerun_KC
11-20-2008, 11:45 PM
I split because the mods are mostly out of towners who were letting two fans of other teams( the Colts and the Ravens, disrespectively )run roughshod all over Chiefs fans, and showing those two clowns preference when you had the "gall" to call them on their bullshit.

I see you live in Edmond. How IS old 'Frontier City' these days? Haven't been down that way in a while; most of our immediate relatives are all dead now.
Have either or both of the Mathis Brothers been arrested for gerbil buggery or serial killing yet?
Is old Gary England still crankin' out the weather report?

Anywho...

Frontier City got a new Coaster this past summer, it is very smooth and very short ride.. But really nice!

Funny you say Matis Bros, I havent heard anything recently about them, but the Gerbil joke is still tops... That is funny!

Yes ol Gary is still doing the weather, and has his own drinking game... It is quite the blast!

Gary England Drinking Game
By Canada and Moose
Pregame
1. Everyone selects a storm chaser other than Val Caster. Every time Gary talks to your storm chaser, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your storm chaser. Take four drinks if your storm chaser says "tornado on the ground."

2. Everyone selects a county other than Pottawatomie County. Every time Gary mentions your county, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your county. Take four drinks if a tornado touches down in your county.
One drink
1. Take one drink every time Gary says the following:
"Hook echo" | "Updraft" | "Metro" | "Doppler radar" | "Wall cloud" | "Ranger 9" | "Underground" | "Mobile home"

2. When Gary gives a list of counties, take one drink for every county in the list.

3. Take one drink every time Gary interrupts a program. Take one drink if Gary says "You're not missing any of [program name]." Take one drink when Gary says "We'll keep you advised."
Two drinks
1. Take two drinks every time Gary says the following:
"Baseball-sized hail" | "Waterloo Road" | "Pottawatomie County" | "Deer Creek High School"

2. Take two drinks every time Gary mentions the following towns:
Altus | Burns Flat | Dill City | Gotebo | Hydro | Lookeba | Meeker | Mulhall | Oktaha | Olustee | Shattuck | Slaughterville | Tryon | Vici | Waukomis | Wayne (or Payne) | Weleetka | Wetumkah

3. Take two drinks every time Gary talks to Val Caster.
Three drinks
1. Take three drinks if we see footage from Val Caster.

2. Take three drinks if we see footage from Pottawatomie County.

3. Take three drinks if Gary mentions the following:
"Immediate tornado precautions" | "National Weather Service" | "Mesocyclone" | "Portable Radio" | "Take shelter" | "Tornado warning in effect until …"
Four drinks
1. Take four drinks if Ranger 9 must land to refuel.

2. Take four drinks if Gary issues his own tornado warning, not recognized by the NWS or says the following:
"Will someone please answer that phone?" | "Do you see power flashes?"

3. Take four drinks if a shirt-less tornado victim is interviewed. Finish your drink
1. Finish your drink if someone uses the word tornado as a verb or if Gary mentions the nearest cross streets to you.

2. If Gary says "We've lost Val," pour a little out for your homies and finish your drink.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Frontier City got a new Coaster this past summer, it is very smooth and very short ride.. But really nice!

Funny you say Matis Bros, I havent heard anything recently about them, but the Gerbil joke is still tops... That is funny!

Yes ol Gary is still doing the weather, and has his own drinking game... It is quite the blast!

Gary England Drinking Game
By Canada and Moose
Pregame
1. Everyone selects a storm chaser other than Val Caster. Every time Gary talks to your storm chaser, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your storm chaser. Take four drinks if your storm chaser says "tornado on the ground."

2. Everyone selects a county other than Pottawatomie County. Every time Gary mentions your county, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your county. Take four drinks if a tornado touches down in your county.
One drink
1. Take one drink every time Gary says the following:
"Hook echo" | "Updraft" | "Metro" | "Doppler radar" | "Wall cloud" | "Ranger 9" | "Underground" | "Mobile home"

2. When Gary gives a list of counties, take one drink for every county in the list.

3. Take one drink every time Gary interrupts a program. Take one drink if Gary says "You're not missing any of [program name]." Take one drink when Gary says "We'll keep you advised."
Two drinks
1. Take two drinks every time Gary says the following:
"Baseball-sized hail" | "Waterloo Road" | "Pottawatomie County" | "Deer Creek High School"

2. Take two drinks every time Gary mentions the following towns:
Altus | Burns Flat | Dill City | Gotebo | Hydro | Lookeba | Meeker | Mulhall | Oktaha | Olustee | Shattuck | Slaughterville | Tryon | Vici | Waukomis | Wayne (or Payne) | Weleetka | Wetumkah

3. Take two drinks every time Gary talks to Val Caster.
Three drinks
1. Take three drinks if we see footage from Val Caster.

2. Take three drinks if we see footage from Pottawatomie County.

3. Take three drinks if Gary mentions the following:
"Immediate tornado precautions" | "National Weather Service" | "Mesocyclone" | "Portable Radio" | "Take shelter" | "Tornado warning in effect until …"
Four drinks
1. Take four drinks if Ranger 9 must land to refuel.

2. Take four drinks if Gary issues his own tornado warning, not recognized by the NWS or says the following:
"Will someone please answer that phone?" | "Do you see power flashes?"

3. Take four drinks if a shirt-less tornado victim is interviewed. Finish your drink
1. Finish your drink if someone uses the word tornado as a verb or if Gary mentions the nearest cross streets to you.

2. If Gary says "We've lost Val," pour a little out for your homies and finish your drink.

THAT...IS...FUCKING...AWESOME!!!
ROFL

Oh man, I wish WE would have had that back in the day; it would have made life in Weatherford a HELL of a lot more interesting!

If you gotta' drink every time England says "Doppler Radar", you are getting Fucked...UP!
ROFLROFLROFL

Now that I look even closer at that list, you better have a shelter at your crib, 'cause you ain't drivin' NO WHERE.
:toast:

11-21-2008, 12:06 AM
I haven't missed (meaning not watched) a game since 94. The Chiefs games were always my release, my hobby, the reward at the end of a hard week. They were blue collar, never flashy, they just seemed to out work and out heart the other team. Week after week.

I've skipped any number of events I should have been at and lost a lot of money turning down work. Last year is the first time I haven't gone to at least one game.

I don't plan to go this year either.

It's one extreme to the next and the whole while Peterson is trying to latch on to the coattails of whatever fad offense/defense has won a championchip lately. We'll copy them. Martyball, then the west coast with Montana, then back to Martyball, then whatever the hell Gun's time would be called, then DV's team, then Herm/DV hybrid.

He seems to be that last guy to hear about a party and about 10 minutes after he shows up the cops get there and shut it down.

The new extreme is youth. All youth, nothing but youth, piss on free agency. Well, when you turn your back completely on any aspect of building a team you fail. We could have plugged in a few old and wise vets to fill holes until we could draft the youth to fill some spots but the only vet we signed that didn't belong on the practice squad was Donnie Edwards. We were a sick amount under the cap and decided to sit on it.

I guess the short version is that after a period of time it doesn't matter why you fail. You're failing, you have been, and you still are. At some point they quit being my release, my hobby, my one gauranteed enjoyment of the week and started being yet another thing that just pissed me off.

Eventually the losing just turns you to apathy and enough is enough...

Damn. Couldn't have said that better myself. Great post.:clap::clap:

Reerun_KC
11-21-2008, 12:08 AM
THAT...IS...****ING...AWESOME!!!
ROFL

Oh man, I wish WE would have had that back in the day; it would have made life in Weatherford a HELL of a lot more interesting!

If you gotta' drink every time England says "Doppler Radar", you are getting ****ed...UP!
ROFLROFLROFL

Now that I look even closer at that list, you better have a shelter at your crib, 'cause you ain't drivin' NO WHERE.
:toast:

The night of the KU National Championship, we had to take cover, There was circulation and crazy ass winds right over the house. It was nuts. England was calling for people at 33rd and Sante Fe to take immediate cover... That is like 1/4 mile southwest of my house. We took cover!

Yeah you can get trashed by the end of the first interruption if you pay attention... Gary is so predictable...

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-21-2008, 12:19 AM
The night of the KU National Championship, we had to take cover, There was circulation and crazy ass winds right over the house. It was nuts. England was calling for people at 33rd and Sante Fe to take immediate cover... That is like 1/4 mile southwest of my house. We took cover!

Yeah you can get trashed by the end of the first interruption if you pay attention... Gary is so predictable...

About a year before I left KC, I was working the 4 to 12 as a Servicer/Inspector for the Water Dept. One Sunday, I got to work, took some paperwork down to the dispatchers at City Hall, and they sent me and 3 other guys north of the river to hook up with the fire department. It was all nice and sunny downtown, but a subdivision up north got hit full-on by a tornado.
When we got to the subdivision with the fire dept., it looked like World War 3 had hit the place; dark as hell, no electricity, and a 100ft swathe cut right through all of these modern-day "nail 'em up and slap 'em together boys" houses.
It was the first time a tornado had hit the City Proper in over 50 years.
Crazy...

Mecca
11-21-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm pretty sure if I posted on the coalition I'd get banned in a matter of hours.

Mecca
11-21-2008, 01:26 AM
ROFL

So I went over there to read for fun.....I apologize to some of the people I called stupid here...

They are literally discussing Tim Tebow as a draft pick for us, trading Larry Johnson for a 1st and at worst a 2nd round pick, oh and taking MLB's with top 5 picks, it's fun, not to mention the serious love for Freeman, Harrell and Crabtree..

Not a whole lot of Stafford talk at all, other than the guys who think Tebow is better or McCoy is better.....now I really know what people who don't know much sound like.

Yea Tebow beat Georgia that makes him a better pro prospect! Strange forum.

Here are my favorites.......Tebow looks better than Stafford. Tebow doesn't have to do much to look better than Stafford. The Chiefs look like they are moving toward more of a spread offense. At this point, Tebow would be a better pick for the Chiefs. One, he is less likely to get hurt. Two, he is less likely to make the stupid mistakes, and probably a better game manager.

I admit I bought into the hype of Stafford, but after watching him not anymore, I just don't see anything all that special about him, certainly not worth spending a top 5 pick on. Freeman of Kansas State has actually looked better than Stafford with much less talent surrounding him.

Tip, never go to the coalition looking for people who know much about football.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-21-2008, 10:43 AM
So I went over there to read for fun.....I apologize to some of the people I called stupid here...

They are literally discussing Tim Tebow as a draft pick for us, trading Larry Johnson for a 1st and at worst a 2nd round pick, oh and taking MLB's with top 5 picks, it's fun, not to mention the serious love for Freeman, Harrell and Crabtree..

Not a whole lot of Stafford talk at all, other than the guys who think Tebow is better or McCoy is better.....now I really know what people who don't know much sound like.

Yea Tebow beat Georgia that makes him a better pro prospect! Strange forum.

Here are my favorites.......Tebow looks better than Stafford. Tebow doesn't have to do much to look better than Stafford. The Chiefs look like they are moving toward more of a spread offense. At this point, Tebow would be a better pick for the Chiefs. One, he is less likely to get hurt. Two, he is less likely to make the stupid mistakes, and probably a better game manager.

I admit I bought into the hype of Stafford, but after watching him not anymore, I just don't see anything all that special about him, certainly not worth spending a top 5 pick on. Freeman of Kansas State has actually looked better than Stafford with much less talent surrounding him.

Tip, never go to the coalition looking for people who know much about football.

As much as I agree with your overall assessment of CC, THAT particular aspect sounds pretty fucking Utopian right now.
I wish more people here WOULD put a case together for some QB picks, and maybe not just the guys that 'Walter Football' and ESPN can't stop spewing a lake of verbal diarrhea about.
As serious as this pick is, it shouldn't be approached like a fucking pep-rally.

beach tribe
11-21-2008, 11:11 AM

That board blows...

That's where chiefzilla cam from. Not surprising is it?

Homercoalition is a buch of nuthuggers that constantly make excuses for everyone from Herm to Pollard to LJ.

Hell someone told me the other day on Coalition that pollard was playing great.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-21-2008, 11:26 AM
That's where chiefzilla cam from. Not surprising is it?

Homercoalition is a buch of nuthuggers that constantly make excuses for everyone from Herm to Pollard to LJ.

Hell someone told me the other day on Coalition that pollard was playing great.

Questions from the Coalition Questionnaire For Membership:

1) Do you prefer grape, strawberry, orange, or mango Kool-Aid?

2) Merlot or Chardonnay?

3) Brie or Gouda?