PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Linebacker Derrick Johnson returns to the Chiefs lineup

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Linebacker Derrick Johnson returns to the Chiefs lineup (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/899816.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Their never-ending search for linebackers will bring the Chiefs back to Derrick Johnson, who appears healthy enough to play in Sunday’s game against Buffalo at Arrowhead Stadium.

Johnson has some things to prove on a personal level in a season marked so far by one standout game and a lot of mediocrity otherwise.

“I want to play to a level where I can actually (help) win a game, play like I did against Denver,” said Johnson, who missed the last two games because of a sore hamstring. “I want to get to that level consistently and not go back and forth. Hopefully this Sunday, I’ll be healthy enough and get back to that. I’m the type of player that can make plays to win football games.”

Between injuries and ineffective play, the Chiefs have frequently shuffled their linebackers. They practiced with Johnson and Demorrio Williams on the outside and Rocky Boiman in the middle on Wednesday.

That’s how they will probably line up against the Bills. Donnie Edwards and Pat Thomas are injured and unlikely to play.

Kawika Mitchell, a former Chief, will return to Arrowhead on Sunday with the Bills. The sight of Mitchell, one of Buffalo’s best defensive players, has to sting the linebacker-starved Chiefs.

They should be used to the pain. They saw another former Chiefs linebacker, Scott Fujita, return with the Saints last week, and he made several big plays in the New Orleans victory.

The Chiefs don’t want to see Johnson eventually move on and, as with Mitchell and Fujita, become a better player elsewhere than he’s been in Kansas City. They will soon be faced with a critical decision on Johnson, who has the 2009 season left on his contract.

Johnson may move to middle linebacker later this season. The Chiefs hope such a move would accomplish two things: help them shore up a critical position and help them get more from Johnson, potentially one of their best defensive players.

Coach Herm Edwards won’t talk about the possibility, but Johnson said he would willingly move if asked.

“I’ve played there some second-string in practice, but never in a game,” Johnson said. “If I was put in a situation to do it, I’d be ready. I don’t know if I’d be fired up about it because I like where I am right now, but I’d do it, no questions asked, and I’d be pretty good at it.”

The Chiefs could have re-signed Mitchell, but the parties couldn’t agree on a contract and he became a free agent. Mitchell signed a one-year contract with the Giants, helped them win a Super Bowl, and this year signed a more lucrative deal with Buffalo.

The Chiefs contend Mitchell’s asking price was too high, a claim that seems based in fact given that Mitchell had to settle for the one-year offer from the Giants. Still, even at an inflated price, Mitchell has to look good to the Chiefs now.

“The discussions were on,” Mitchell said Wednesday. “The commitment wasn’t there. They made a decision. I made a decision. Obviously, mine worked out better.”

Edwards said, “We think he’s a good player. It was just a matter of both parties (not) getting together and feeling comfortable on the contract. It didn’t work out.

“You’d like to keep all of your good players. That’s not reality. That doesn’t happen. You’re going to lose some for a lot of different reasons. When that happens, you’ve got to adjust.”

The problem for the Chiefs is that they haven’t adjusted well. Kendrell Bell and Napoleon Harris were disastrous free-agent signings. Donnie Edwards has played well when healthy, but that’s rarely been the case this season. Demorrio Williams hasn’t been a consistent starter despite getting the opportunity.

While they’ve made rotten decisions at some positions, their choices at linebacker may be worst of all.

“When they drafted me, I thought they made a good choice,” Mitchell said. “They did a good job as far as that. They’re in a rebuilding stage, and obviously I wasn’t a part of it. I can’t figure out what’s been happening since I’ve been gone.

“Some teams do it differently. The team I’m with now, the Buffalo Bills, they feel like if they have a promising young player, they like to take care of him early (before his contract is up), which I think works out best for both sides.”

So Mitchell isn’t surprised to see the Chiefs last in the NFL in defense.

“When you get rid of a bunch of players, a bunch of leaders, a bunch of your productive players and rebuild, it’s going to be hard to have success right away,” he said.

The Chiefs have much invested in seeing that Johnson doesn’t turn out like Mitchell and Fujita. It’s not lost on Johnson what’s happened with two of his former linebacking teammates.

“It’s unfortunate that those guys left here and have had a couple of good years,” he said. “That goes on all the time in the league. Some guys fit in a certain defense better than in another defense. They weren’t bad here. But I guess you could say they were better after they left the Chiefs.”

DaneMcCloud
11-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Fujita and Johnson never played together.

Dumbass.

OnTheWarpath15
11-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Yay.

He's back.

Something tells me no one would have noticed had we not been told...

DaneMcCloud
11-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Yay.

He's back.

Something tells me no one would have noticed had we not been told...

They move him to middle, he'll have a few good games and the Chiefs won't draft a real MLB in the 2009 draft.

Fuckin' Chiefs.

OnTheWarpath15
11-20-2008, 12:02 AM
They move him to middle, he'll have a few good games and the Chiefs won't draft a real MLB in the 2009 draft.

Fuckin' Chiefs.

You know, this is a good a place as any.

Deberg, I owe you an apology.

I've always thought you were certifiably insane for asking if we fucked up by taking DJ and passing on Aaron Rodgers.

But brother, I've seen the light.

I'm now on your side.

Please accept this apology, and to answer the question - yes, we fucked up passing on Rodgers.

DJ has been an epic disappointment for the 15th overall pick.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 12:03 AM

Fuckin' Chiefs.

I saw the words "Linebacker Derrick", and I got excited.

Then I saw "Johnson", and got depressed.

Sure-Oz
11-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Yeah i thought DJ would be our Ray Lewis and a beast on defense....

So far we've seen an average player with flashes of gamer skills

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 12:14 AM

If I can see one more Defensive Chief of that caliber in my lifetime win a Super Bowl, I'll be ready to die the day after.

btlook1
11-20-2008, 01:25 AM

I think you pretty well said it! I completly agree with that statement!

Hermcock
11-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Derrick Johnson is the most overrated player in the NFL. I can't believe the great Tommy Nobis let this douchebag sport his number 60 for a game at the University of Texas.

Mecca
11-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Derrick Johnson is the most overrated player in the NFL. I can't believe the great Tommy Nobis let this douchebag sport his number 60 for a game at the University of Texas.

Don't you actually have to have people think you're good to be overrated, I honestly think only some Chiefs fans think he's good from what I've heard.

SPchief
11-20-2008, 02:22 AM

:spock:

Hermcock
11-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Don't you actually have to have people think you're good to be overrated, I honestly think only some Chiefs fans think he's good from what I've heard.

There are plenty of fanboys at Arrowhead that sport D.J.'s jersey like he's some bad ass All-Pro linebacker.

dannybcaitlyn
11-20-2008, 06:54 AM
But soon as he leaves us and say he goes to the broncos he will flourish.

58-4ever
11-20-2008, 07:57 AM
He will certainly be an upgrade. Not an all-pro, but an upgrade.

Kylo Ren
11-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Linebacker Derrick Johnson returns to the Chiefs lineup (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/899816.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Their never-ending search for linebackers will bring the Chiefs back to Derrick Johnson, who appears healthy enough to play in Sunday’s game against Buffalo at Arrowhead Stadium.

Johnson has some things to prove on a personal level in a season marked so far by one standout game and a lot of mediocrity otherwise.

“I want to play to a level where I can actually (help) win a game, play like I did against Denver,” said Johnson, who missed the last two games because of a sore hamstring. “I want to get to that level consistently and not go back and forth. Hopefully this Sunday, I’ll be healthy enough and get back to that. I’m the type of player that can make plays to win football games.”

Between injuries and ineffective play, the Chiefs have frequently shuffled their linebackers. They practiced with Johnson and Demorrio Williams on the outside and Rocky Boiman in the middle on Wednesday.

That’s how they will probably line up against the Bills. Donnie Edwards and Pat Thomas are injured and unlikely to play.

Kawika Mitchell, a former Chief, will return to Arrowhead on Sunday with the Bills. The sight of Mitchell, one of Buffalo’s best defensive players, has to sting the linebacker-starved Chiefs.

They should be used to the pain. They saw another former Chiefs linebacker, Scott Fujita, return with the Saints last week, and he made several big plays in the New Orleans victory.

The Chiefs don’t want to see Johnson eventually move on and, as with Mitchell and Fujita, become a better player elsewhere than he’s been in Kansas City. They will soon be faced with a critical decision on Johnson, who has the 2009 season left on his contract.

Johnson may move to middle linebacker later this season. The Chiefs hope such a move would accomplish two things: help them shore up a critical position and help them get more from Johnson, potentially one of their best defensive players.

Coach Herm Edwards won’t talk about the possibility, but Johnson said he would willingly move if asked.

“I’ve played there some second-string in practice, but never in a game,” Johnson said. “If I was put in a situation to do it, I’d be ready. I don’t know if I’d be fired up about it because I like where I am right now, but I’d do it, no questions asked, and I’d be pretty good at it.”

The Chiefs could have re-signed Mitchell, but the parties couldn’t agree on a contract and he became a free agent. Mitchell signed a one-year contract with the Giants, helped them win a Super Bowl, and this year signed a more lucrative deal with Buffalo.

The Chiefs contend Mitchell’s asking price was too high, a claim that seems based in fact given that Mitchell had to settle for the one-year offer from the Giants. Still, even at an inflated price, Mitchell has to look good to the Chiefs now.

“The discussions were on,” Mitchell said Wednesday. “The commitment wasn’t there. They made a decision. I made a decision. Obviously, mine worked out better.”

Edwards said, “We think he’s a good player. It was just a matter of both parties (not) getting together and feeling comfortable on the contract. It didn’t work out.

“You’d like to keep all of your good players. That’s not reality. That doesn’t happen. You’re going to lose some for a lot of different reasons. When that happens, you’ve got to adjust.”

The problem for the Chiefs is that they haven’t adjusted well. Kendrell Bell and Napoleon Harris were disastrous free-agent signings. Donnie Edwards has played well when healthy, but that’s rarely been the case this season. Demorrio Williams hasn’t been a consistent starter despite getting the opportunity.

While they’ve made rotten decisions at some positions, their choices at linebacker may be worst of all.

“When they drafted me, I thought they made a good choice,” Mitchell said. “They did a good job as far as that. They’re in a rebuilding stage, and obviously I wasn’t a part of it. I can’t figure out what’s been happening since I’ve been gone.

“Some teams do it differently. The team I’m with now, the Buffalo Bills, they feel like if they have a promising young player, they like to take care of him early (before his contract is up), which I think works out best for both sides.”

So Mitchell isn’t surprised to see the Chiefs last in the NFL in defense.

“When you get rid of a bunch of players, a bunch of leaders, a bunch of your productive players and rebuild, it’s going to be hard to have success right away,” he said.

The Chiefs have much invested in seeing that Johnson doesn’t turn out like Mitchell and Fujita. It’s not lost on Johnson what’s happened with two of his former linebacking teammates.

“It’s unfortunate that those guys left here and have had a couple of good years,” he said. “That goes on all the time in the league. Some guys fit in a certain defense better than in another defense. They weren’t bad here. But I guess you could say they were better after they left the Chiefs.”

Derrick Johnson has been misused since he arrive in KC. He'd be better if he were used correctly.

Marcellus
11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Don't forget the coaching aspect in all of this. Mitchell leaves and gets better, Fujita leaves and gets better. Etc....Etc...

talastan
11-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Derrick Johnson has been misused since he arrive in KC. He'd be better if he were used correctly.

Where exactly would DJ flourish? I think it would be at the Will position. Or if Gunther was able to revive the Falcon I think you need to use DJ as a pass rusher IMO. Putting him at Mike won't help or hinder us, but we've got to look for improvement. Not more of the same, to quote someone else.

Demonpenz
11-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Derrick Johnson has always been a Derrick Brooks type of player. He needs to be able to run sideline to sideline and make plays. We don't have the talent or coaching to get the most out of him. When he is covering people ususally he does a solid job and they don't throw his way, so then he doesn't get to make plays, his strength isn't blitzing so then the defense always has this mindset "We aren't getting enough out of DJ" so then we start blitzing him and he gets locked up because it is not his strong suit. Get some talent around him, pick his spots blitzing him, and don't worry if he isn't getting numbers because he is good at pass coverage. I hope he goes to the eagles or bears. He will tear shit up. I knew he was going to get hurt, that is what made ever mediocore game that much worse, because a football player is going to get hurt. He was starting to make strides though.

StcChief
11-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Derrick Johnson has always been a Derrick Brooks type of player. He needs to be able to run sideline to sideline and make plays. We don't have the talent or coaching to get the most out of him. When he is covering people ususally he does a solid job and they don't throw his way, so then he doesn't get to make plays, his strength isn't blitzing so then the defense always has this mindset "We aren't getting enough out of DJ" so then we start blitzing him and he gets locked up because it is not his strong suit. Get some talent around him, pick his spots blitzing him, and don't worry if he isn't getting numbers because he is good at pass coverage. I hope he goes to the eagles or bears. He will tear shit up. I knew he was going to get hurt, that is what made ever mediocore game that much worse, because a football player is going to get hurt. He was starting to make strides though.
exactly. Our Chiefs 90's D was top notch... the supporting cast DL, LBs, CBs, S were all solid making everybody look good. DJ is good just not enough support everywhere else. Hope that changes.

Hammock Parties
11-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Fujita and Johnson never played together.

Dumbass.

They were in camp together, actually.

Brock
11-20-2008, 10:40 AM

How much money do you think Johnson would get on the open market? I mean, after all, you had Kawika Mitchell getting 30 million.

OnTheWarpath15
11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
How much money do you think Johnson would get on the open market? I mean, after all, you had Kawika Mitchell getting 30 million.

ROFL

I made mention of this in another thread...

DaneMcCloud
11-20-2008, 11:26 AM
They were in camp together, actually.

They also played the same position, which why Fujita asked for and received a trade.

Great trade, BTW. :shake:

IF the Chiefs had been smart, they would have drafted Rodgers and kept Fujita.

Of course, we all know the truth around here.

The Chiefs are stupid.

Hammock Parties
11-20-2008, 11:28 AM
They also played the same position, which why Fujita asked for and received a trade.

Great trade, BTW. :shake:

IF the Chiefs had been smart, they would have drafted Rodgers and kept Fujita.

Of course, we all know the truth around here.

The Chiefs aren't even smart when they're dumb. DJ should never have been moved to SSLB.

chiefzilla1501
11-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I think the word overrated is a little harsh.

DJ does a lot of things he doesn't get credit for. He's actually been pretty rock solid in pass coverage his entire time he's been a Chief. Before DJ, TEs used to romp all over us.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
i can't believe people are complaining about this. DJ is far and away the best player on the chiefs defense right now.

RedThat
11-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Derrick Johnson is a solid player. Not a probowler, but a solid linebacker.

I agree he is good in coverage, at times he can be a little inconsistent. but he brings a lot of things, good speed, and good coverage are to name a few.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
i can't believe people are complaining about this. DJ is far and away the best player on the chiefs defense right now.

He showed a great level of play against Denver, but where did it go? I do NOT want to bring the whole 'draft a qb' debate in to this, there's plenty of it elsewhere.

That said, we have two Cornerbacks that we can't utilize to their full potential because we are getting exactly NO pressure on the opponent's QB.
I'm genuinely surprised that Chan Gailey's flexible and adaptable approach has not been adopted by the defense.
It's as plain as day to even the most remedial football fan; use the current rig in the Red Zone, and use something the hell else the rest of the time.

Say it with me:

"Draft/Sign Two OLB's, and Return To The Outside Pass Rush"

That warm feeling in your Chakra is the stunning effect of stone-cold Truth taking over.

talastan
11-20-2008, 02:19 PM
So do you think they decide to move DJ to Mike? If they do will he do well here? I never thought of DJ being a ILB type.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
You know, this is a good a place as any.

Deberg, I owe you an apology.

I've always thought you were certifiably insane for asking if we ****ed up by taking DJ and passing on Aaron Rodgers.

But brother, I've seen the light.

I'm now on your side.

Please accept this apology, and to answer the question - yes, we ****ed up passing on Rodgers.

DJ has been an epic disappointment for the 15th overall pick.

Thank You. DJ isnt a bust, hes just not enough of an IMPACT player to justify the 15th overall pick.

Hammock Parties
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
The fact that DJ hasn't had a great year is good news. We can sign him to a cheap long-term deal now. After last season it looked like he was gonna cost us big time.

The Franchise
11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Awesome....we're moving DJ to MLB. So let's try and move one of our players to another position.....so we can open up a whole in another spot. BRILLIANT!

Demonpenz
11-20-2008, 02:31 PM
The fact that DJ hasn't had a great year is good news. We can sign him to a cheap long-term deal now. After last season it looked like he was gonna cost us big time.

I hope you are right, I am afraid a team is going to sign him on potential. I know jim johnson for the eagles would take him.

HemiEd
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Don't forget the coaching aspect in all of this. Mitchell leaves and gets better, Fujita leaves and gets better. Etc....Etc...

There you have it, the common thread. Oh, and add in there, the fact that DJ is underachieving. What else do they need to know?

RustShack
11-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Awesome....we're moving DJ to MLB. So let's try and move one of our players to another position.....so we can open up a whole in another spot. BRILLIANT!

I personally think we should try moving some players. Like maybe we should move Dorsey to the UT spot and Tank to the NT spot.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2008, 03:02 PM

I wouldnt neccessarily say they are better now. They are just surrounded by better talent, schemes, etc. Heck, its not like the Saints (Fugita) have some world class defense anyways.

The Franchise
11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I personally think we should try moving some players. Like maybe we should move Dorsey to the UT spot and Tank to the NT spot.

Well that would be an obvious move. But nothing is obvious with this coaching staff.

Mecca
11-20-2008, 03:08 PM

You are aware of what he asked the Chiefs for yes, it's why he was let go...

Deberg_1990
11-20-2008, 03:19 PM

Kawika, Fugita and DJ are what they are: Complimentary players.

Mecca
11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Kawika, Fugita and DJ are what they are: Complimentary players.

Pretty much, the Chiefs had/have a real problem of trying to build teams around complimentary players and complimentary positions.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Pretty much, the Chiefs had/have a real problem of trying to build teams around complimentary players and complimentary positions.

Exactly. They have been doing it for years.

talastan
11-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Okay Mecca who then could be the Ray Lewis type player, whether on this team, in the draft, or FA, that you'd like to see the Chiefs D pick up to build around? Just curious

Brock
11-20-2008, 03:26 PM

what does that have to do with you saying he was going to get 30 million dollars, when in fact he ended up with 1 million dollars? Point being, your view of what players are or aren't perceived as is, well, just a little bit off.

Sure-Oz
11-20-2008, 03:27 PM
DJ looks soft....he needs to be angry and stab people like Ray Lewis

Mecca
11-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Okay Mecca who then could be the Ray Lewis type player, whether on this team, in the draft, or FA, that you'd like to see the Chiefs D pick up to build around? Just curious

Well I'd rather start with offense because it takes much longer to build a upper tiered offense than it does defense, regardless of the Chiefs example of not being able to field a good D over a decade.

Regardless of personality, what they say all that, until the Chiefs have legit pass rushers and a legit QB this team is major steps behind.

Mr. Laz
11-20-2008, 03:56 PM
addition by subtraction ... through all the injuries and cuts we might just field our best linebacker lineup of the year against Buffalo

Derrick Johnson
Rocky Boiman
Demorrio Williams

talastan
11-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Has Boiman really been doing that well? He had a couple of tackles a couple of weeks ago but I didn't see anything outstanding from his last week.

Mr. Laz
11-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Has Boiman really been doing that well? He had a couple of tackles a couple of weeks ago but I didn't see anything outstanding from his last week.
he's not gonna be on any highlights but he's a blue collar guy that is just around the ball alot.

which is better than most of the "suck" we've had lately.

we need an upgrade at MLB but Boiman is still the best we've had this season.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 06:25 PM
DJ looks soft....he needs to be angry and stab people like Ray Lewis

ROFL

SAUTO
11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Well I'd rather start with offense because it takes much longer to build a upper tiered offense than it does defense, regardless of the Chiefs example of not being able to field a good D over a decade.

Regardless of personality, what they say all that, until the Chiefs have legit pass rushers and a legit QB this team is major steps behind.

how long did it take dick vermeil again?

Buehler445
11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
addition by subtraction ... through all the injuries and cuts we might just field our best linebacker lineup of the year against Buffalo

Derrick Johnson
Rocky Boiman
Demorrio Williams

Edwards broken again?

Mecca
11-20-2008, 08:26 PM
how long did it take dick vermeil again?

You desire to be a team built of guys over 30 that can only be good for a very short period?

SAUTO
11-20-2008, 08:30 PM
You desire to be a team built of guys over 30 that can only be good for a very short period?

did i say that? no.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2008, 08:32 PM

He came close. Teams can be built many different ways.

I desire a team to be built by any means necessary to get us a SB Title. At this point, beggars cant be choosers.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Edwards broken again?

Donnie Edwards....

I put the decision to bring him back to KC right up there with "Let's start Elvis", and "Let's trade Gannon to Oakland".

The Business Offices and Business Practices at One Arrowhead Drive:

"Inspiring barely audible utterances of "yayyy" for 40+years".

yayyy...

Mecca
11-20-2008, 08:36 PM
He came close. Teams can be built many different ways.

I desire a team to be built by any means necessary to get us a SB Title. At this point, beggars cant be choosers.

Well you can be a team built to be good for a few years or one built to be good for a long period of time.

But generally it does take an offense longer to gel than a defense.

Buehler445
11-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Edwards broken again?

So is he? Or did he get benched?

beach tribe
11-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I think the word overrated is a little harsh.

DJ does a lot of things he doesn't get credit for. He's actually been pretty rock solid in pass coverage his entire time he's been a Chief. Before DJ, TEs used to romp all over us.

He was the 15th overall pick. You're the biggest nut hugging coddler I've ever seen.

That said He poorly coached, and used wrong.

chiefzilla1501
11-21-2008, 01:11 AM
He was the 15th overall pick. You're the biggest nut hugging coddler I've ever seen.

That said He poorly coached, and used wrong.

Who's a nuthugger.

It's amazing that anyone with anything good to say is labeled as such.

I've been critical of a lot of people. I'm sorry that I don't find the need to blame every single person in KC. **** the janitor. Maybe he should do a better job cleaning the facilities.

Players who are in coverage don't spend nearly as much time in run defense and if you're good at your job, QBs don't throw to you. DJ needs to do a better job tackling, but he's been solid in coverage. Just because he doesn't get 100 tackles, doesn't mean the guy's a bust. I think he has a world of potential if a coach can learn to use him right.

talastan
11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
One word Gunther.....FALCON!!