PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs On the Occasion of my 10,000th Post

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 06:38 AM
On the Occasion of my 10,000<SUP>th</SUP> Post

I noticed a message at the top of my page this evening marking my 10,000<SUP>th</SUP> post on Chiefs Planet. Since it is a milestone (totally bereft of any meaning whatsoever) worth the moderator’s recognition, I too will pause for reflection on this momentous occasion.

For those not living in the greater KC area, Chiefs Planet is a lifeline to all things Chiefs.

I and a handful of others (you know who you are) migrated here from the old KC Star Chiefs bulletin board site back when Elvis was still in the building, the Chiefs were 2<SUP>nd</SUP> in the AFC in sacks (54), Gunther Cunningham was micromanaging parking space assignments for his staff (and getting a whopping 3 hours of sleep per night), and gas was about $1 a gallon. Most of us were using dial up for internet connection.

The value of Chiefs Planet for me has always been the discussion of Chiefs football. In the KCJohnny universe, football is entertainment, and the discussion of it is a rather meaningless diversion from other responsibilities we are decisively engaged in throughout the year. Whether one is right or wrong (and I have frequently been wrong) is ultimately harmless and inconsequential – it’s a game, folks.

From Gun’s CARE package to Ramifization to controversies about the meanings of Army slogans to Iraq and back twice to the joyous assignment at Fort Leavenworth where I was able to see my first ever live-at-Arrowhead Chiefs game – these 9 years have flown by and the world has changed.

Although I have dumped a few hundred posts in the DC/Promised Land bin during this most recent election cycle, for the most part I have come here to talk Chiefs football and to read your comments, remarks, and insights about the game we love and the team we passionately root for year in and year out, come what may.

I became a Chiefs fan as a 4th grader in 1970. I’ll never forget Christmas Day 1971 staring at our tiny B&W TV in disbelief with hot tears running down my cheeks as the Chiefs succumbed to the Miami Dolphins 27-24 in the longest game in NFL history. I was just ten, but I always believed that someday that heart wrenching loss would be avenged. It hasn’t yet, and I refuse to give up hope.

Many of you have been very kind to me, and profoundly supportive of my vocation as a Soldier. I am in your debt, and I count it a privilege to serve such fine citizens and patriots. To those of you who have acted uncharitably towards me, no hard feelings from my end. As wonderful as the internet is, it cannot convey vocal inflection, body language, or emotional tone and the naked text often risks serious misinterpretation. Messages are misinterpreted here by nearly all of us at one time or another. That is the weakness of virtual communities.

Finally, to me it doesn’t really matter whose view on Cover 2 or RBbC or MartyBall or R2P2 prevails. Chiefs Planet is about people communicating with other people. People are more important than games, than stats, and even more important than championships. When we let our better angels prevail, this site offers spirited discussion, valuable exchange of experience and advice, and even friendship. To that end, a toast to all Chiefs fans, from KCJohnny to you.

:toast:
KCJohnny
:arrow:

mikey23545
11-20-2008, 07:19 AM
And a big salute to you, KCJohnny...Thanks for your service, and as always...

GO CHIEFS!!!!

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 07:21 AM
And a big salute to you, KCJohnny...Thanks for your service, and as always...

GO CHIEFS!!!!

Thanks, Mikey! Yes, GO CHIEFS!!!!!!
:toast:

badgirl
11-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Definately thank you for your service. Congrats on the 10,000 post.:clap:

crazycoffey
11-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Good job, :clap: Nicely said, thanks for your service, and GO CHIEFS!!!!

11-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Thank you for your service! :clap:

luv
11-20-2008, 07:52 AM
You do know that posts made in DC don't count, right?

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
You do know that posts made in DC don't count, right?

No, I did not know that. Are you sure? Wow, that means some people here may be over 50,000.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I have 10k, but at least it took me 9 years to get here. :D

Skip Towne
11-20-2008, 07:57 AM
No, I did not know that. Are you sure? Wow, that means some people here may be over 50,000.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I have 10k, but at least it took me 9 years to get here. :D

You would have as many posts as me if you didn't keep going AWOL.

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 08:00 AM
You would have as many posts as me if you didn't keep going AWOL.

LOL! Not a chance, Mike. Too busy. But thanks anyway...

:p

PhillyChiefFan
11-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Good post KCJ, I share your sentiment that we will *one day* be champs again.

Go Chiefs, stay safe, and thank you for your service.

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Good post KCJ, I share your sentiment that we will *one day* be champs again.

Go Chiefs, stay safe, and thank you for your service.

It WILL happen, PhillyChiefFan! Just remember the way we were as little boys dreaming we were our favorite players - it was always the Super Bowl, always the game-winning play...

Hank Stram and Mr. Hunt are rooting for us in Heaven along with Joe Delaney... It's just a matter of time.

Thanks to all for the warm wishes.

Dartgod
11-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Shut up, n00b! ;)

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Shut up, n00b! ;)

Glad to be one!

talastan
11-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Congrats KCJohnny!! Thanks for your service and hope that it doesn't take me nine years to get there, then again you probably have more of a life than I do anyway. :shrug: :D

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Congrats KCJohnny!! Thanks for your service and hope that it doesn't take me nine years to get there, then again you probably have more of a life than I do anyway. :shrug: :D

LOL! I hope it takes you longer! Thanks for the warm wishes.

JuicesFlowing
11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Congrats KCJohnny.

Rain Man
11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Singer to soldier,
Pastor to poster
At this special time
I wish you the most-er.

I really should have worked for Hallmark.

StcChief
11-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Congrats on 10k KCJ....and thanks for your continued service to America. Despite the libs here that blast you.

POND_OF_RED
11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
I became a Chiefs fan as a 4th grader in 1970.

I think you are the first Chiefs fan I can call a bandwagon fan. :p

Congrats on 10,000 and thank you for your service. Go Chiefs!

sportsman1
11-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Congrats on the 10K in 8 years, and thanks for your service to the greatest country in the world (in words of Sean). In 3 years I am only working on 500 Posts lol.

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Singer to soldier,
Pastor to poster
At this special time
I wish you the most-er.

I really should have worked for Hallmark.

I'm touched, Rain Man.
Thank you.
:)

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Congrats on the 10K in 8 years, and thanks for your service to the greatest country in the world (in words of Sean). In 3 years I am only working on 500 Posts lol.

Don't be in a hurry. Thanks for the warm regards, go USA!

KCTitus
11-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Finally, to me it doesn’t really matter whose view on Cover 2 or RBbC or MartyBall or R2P2 prevails. Chiefs Planet is about people communicating with other people...

:rolleyes:

Mr. Flopnuts
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I think I'm the only member of this board that didn't scream "Look at me!!! I have 10,000 posts!!!!" I guess I'll do my attention whoring right here instead.

whoman69
11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I can't believe I just gave positive rep to KCJohnny

MahiMike
11-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Great post. Very eloquent and deep. good job.

btw, is that you, Barrack?

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I can't believe I just gave positive rep to KCJohnny

:D

KCJohnny
11-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Great post. Very eloquent and deep. good job.

btw, is that you, Barrack?

Nah. If I had mentioned healing the NFL or transforming the role of sports in western civilization or started a long soaring speech about soccer, that might be BO...

Mr. Flopnuts
11-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Nah. If I had mentioned healing the NFL or transforming the role of sports in western civilization or started a long soaring speech about soccer, that might be BO...

Huh, I could've sworn someone told me you were born in Kenya.

KCJohnny
11-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Huh, I could've sworn someone told me you were born in Kenya.

I was. Kenya, Maryland.

ROFL