PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV What makes a good television show for you?

irishjayhawk
11-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Just curious.

There's all sorts of television. What makes it, for you, a good show?

KC_Connection
11-20-2008, 12:11 PM
It has to be Dexter.

blaise
11-20-2008, 12:19 PM
As far as sitcoms I think it's 80% writing and 20% actors/cast. I don't think the overall concept has to be anything revolutionary as long as the writing is crisp. Unfortunately, most networks (or production companies) think it's 40% concept, 40% name actors and 20% writing.
I also don't appreciate if there's repeated political slant one way or the other. If they want to clown both sides like South Park does, great, but if I think a show keeps delivering didactic messages for one side I'll stop watching.
I don't watch reality TV shows, and I generally don't watch CSI type shows. I prefer comedies.

Mr. Plow
11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Honestly, I'm pretty simple.....

if I enjoy a show, I watch it.

If I get no enjoyment out of it, I don't watch it.

irishjayhawk
11-20-2008, 12:35 PM

No care for the writing, acting, music, effects, etc?

Mr. Plow
11-20-2008, 01:23 PM
No care for the writing, acting, music, effects, etc?

Eh, I consider that all part of the show I guess. Typically, a show I enjoy watching is good in all those aspects....or at least decent.

To give you an idea of what types of shows I like (and yes I know not all of them are good shows)

Sunday:
Simpsons
Family Guy
The Unit

Monday:
Sarah Conner Chronicles
CSI: Miami (starting to really lose interest in this one though)
Two & a 1/2 Men
How I Met Your Mother (vague interest in this show)

Tuesday:
Mentalist
Fringe (kind of iffy on this one - can be good, can be bad)

Wednesday:
CSI: NY
Criminal Minds

Thursday:
CSI
The Office (don't watch regularly, but from time to time)

Friday:
Numbers

Saturday:
Nothing

Others:
Lost

Those are the ones that I know I can sit down, watch, and enjoy the show.

CrazyPhuD
11-20-2008, 01:42 PM
boobies...hell I watched dark angel back in the day.

Red Brooklyn
11-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't watch a lot of television. Mostly because I'm pretty particular about what makes good tv.

For me it all starts with writing. It has to be well written. The genre doesn't matter, as long as the writing is solid. That's a must for me.

Then I look at performance. Sometimes great performers can overcome bad writing. Sometimes. But if the writing is good, then the actors are automatically better.

Everything else is secondary really. Music, effects... I don't think about these things unless they're bad.

The only shows I watch with any regularity are
LOST and THE OFFICE and FAMILY GUY. All of which have stellar writing and great actors.

Fish
11-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Redheads.

11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
If the writing and acting is top notch.

Reaper16
11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Writing. Acting.

Buehler445
11-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Something catchy that holds my attention. If it has a dull spot, I'll probably change the channel. I don't watch a lot of TV, but TV shows that have done well for me lately are:

Burn Notice
That 70s show
Scrubs

irishjayhawk
11-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, for me, after watching House and Veronica Mars, it's got to have Smart Dialogue and good Characters.

After watching LOST (And the other two), it's got to have some sort of mystery or unknown.

But most of all it's got to have good acting. Veronica Mars is my best example followed by House. Kristin Bell and Hugh Laurie make the show. They take the crisp, smart writing and add flavor to it.

Buehler445
11-20-2008, 11:00 PM
I like house too.

What is Veronica Mars? I haven't heard of that one.

irishjayhawk
11-21-2008, 12:18 AM
I like house too.

What is Veronica Mars? I haven't heard of that one.

It played on the WB. It's a show about a high school PI. Each season is a season long mystery with each episode containing a mystery in itself.

You should check it out. Both Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring are very good in it. And, as always, Bell's dad in the show (I forget his name.)

kcxiv
11-21-2008, 04:51 AM

This. It really takes a horrible show for me not to like it. There are some i think that are ok, but just not my taste though.

Buehler445
11-21-2008, 09:01 AM
It played on the WB. It's a show about a high school PI. Each season is a season long mystery with each episode containing a mystery in itself.

You should check it out. Both Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring are very good in it. And, as always, Bell's dad in the show (I forget his name.)

Cool. Thanks.

patteeu
11-21-2008, 12:38 PM
A well-written, ongoing storyline. Characters with attractive personalities.

Buck
11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Basically it has to be mysterious, or make me think a lot.

As long as the episode is good enough to get me to the end of that episode, and the end of that episode is good enough to get me to watch the next episode, then its cool.

Or if its just funny as hell, that works too.

Heres my shows:

Lost
Heroes
Jericho
Prison Break
Firefly
Fringe
Battlestar Galactica
Arrested Development
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Entourage

Nzoner
11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I only watch one with regularity Law & Order SVU,Marissa is so gorgeous plus I love the overall acting and writing.