PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs’ defenders often get an earful from coach Cunningham

Tribal Warfare
11-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Chiefs’ defenders often get an earful from coach Cunningham (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/901752.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs’ defense is a group of haves and have-nots, but the haves sacrificed peace for their technology.

Derrick Johnson is one of the haves. He’s a linebacker with a helmet outfitted during practices with an earpiece. It allows defensive coaches to pass along instructions to a player, and that player can relay it to teammates.

The problem is, coordinator Gunther Cunningham sometimes forgets to turn off his microphone during practice. And Cunningham has a colorful way of expressing himself. He paces the field, talking about the Chiefs’ most recent shortcomings, and …

“Cussing up a storm,” Johnson said. “The cuss words are going. Big time. All the words you could think of. He’s kind of crazy.”

Which is part of the reason Cunningham doesn’t speak into the microphone during games. That’s secondary coach David Gibbs’ job. Gibbs is connected with two preselected defenders for each game; rules state that only one of those players at a time can wear the earpiece on the field. If one of the connected players is injured, which has happened often this season, the earpiece cannot be transferred.

The technology is new, put in place last year after the New England Patriots were punished for stealing the New York Jets’ signals. Before the earpiece, coaches could communicate with players only by using those signals. A coach would stand on the sideline, arms flapping and hips jerking, an intricate series of signals that tells defenders their play. Coaches still use the signals. Then again …

“Those are for people who don’t have the speaker,” said linebacker Pat Thomas, one of the Chiefs’ members of the technological upper class. “I’ll be like, ‘I don’t need that; I’ve got the speaker.’ (Defensive-line coach) Tim Krumrie is over there doing this, waving his arms like a penguin. I’m like, ‘Man, go ahead; I’ve got the call already.’ ”

Thomas and middle linebacker Rocky Boiman will use the earpiece this week against Buffalo. Johnson is the standby.

That means Johnson can rest his ears for a time; push aside the profanity and the insanity and enjoy a quiet afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium. Quieter than Thomas and Boiman will have it, anyway.

Yes, the speaker is loud, particularly with a madman sometimes screaming on the other end. Johnson said it fits into the helmet like a headphone, but there is space between the device and the player’s ear. So equipment managers crank the volume so that players can hear Gibbs’ voice over the crowd and the music and other players.

Once, Thomas said, it was so loud he thought the opposing offense could hear the Chiefs’ play call.

“A little much,” Thomas said.

But he’s not complaining. Heck, he loves the thing. Thomas said he used to envy quarterbacks and their fancy earpieces, the ease that they would listen in during the huddle, hear the play call and some advice from coaches on how to beat the defense. Quarterbacks didn’t have to worry about being confused by signals that defenders were forced to use — and perhaps wondering whether that was a wave or a shimmy, the difference between a coverage play and a blitz.

They didn’t have it so easy. Not until this year, anyway.

“It’s the best thing,” Thomas said. “I’ve never seen anything like it on defense. You get to hear all the checks. If you have anything that’s questionable, they can tell you through the speaker beforehand what to look out for.

“I love it. It’s a beautiful thing.”

Even if that means putting up with the noise that pumps through his helmet and resonates into his ear. And listening to Cunningham during practices, and all that it entails.

Thomas and Johnson each said they’ve spent parts of practices chuckling in their stances. Cunningham said something; tagged the name of a play with profanity or an odd word. Then they cut the laughing, and away they go.

Until the next time Cunningham paces around the turf, angry enough that he forgot to turn off his mike.

“He was always in our head all the time,” Johnson said. “Maybe just a little louder now.”

Hammock Parties
11-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Gunther is so lovable!

BigRock
11-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Which is part of the reason Cunningham doesn’t speak into the microphone during games. That’s secondary coach David Gibbs’ job. Gibbs is connected with two preselected defenders for each game

Promote Gibbs to DC for the rest of the season. What's it going to hurt?

kcxiv
11-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Doesnt matter what they do if we dont have anyone that can rush the passer.

Cosmos
11-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Even as a football coach, if you're always yelling and cussing, you are more often the problem and not the solution.

Mecca
11-21-2008, 01:34 AM
That's all Gunther is, a bag of hot air, same as Krumrie.

DaneMcCloud
11-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Yay! We yell! We curse!

We're Number 32!

5 Years Strong!

Seriously, FUCK ALL OF THEM.

Right up the ass.

cabletech94
11-21-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm sad that I wasted 1 minute of my life reading this.

Kerberos
11-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Even as a football coach, if you're always yelling and cussing, you are more often the problem and not the solution.

Yay! We yell! We curse!

We're Number 32!

5 Years Strong!

Seriously, FUCK ALL OF THEM.

Right up the ass.

I agree.....

#1 in yelling and #32 in defense. Coinkydink? NOT! :shake:

HemiEd
11-21-2008, 07:23 AM

Yep, pretty soon they tune you out. Which in Gunther's case, may be a good thing.
My perception is that Gunther makes a hell of an impression on new rookies at training camp,then his shit gets old and tired.

Skip Towne
11-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Gunther's act is old and tired. Time for a change.

tomahawk kid
11-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Gunther's act is old and tired. Time for a change.

This.

chiefzilla1501
11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Did anyone also get the sense that the players no longer laugh about Gun's act? Before they would respond with an "awww shucks, that's just Gun shooting off his mouth again, bless his heart." Do any of you get the impression that everyone's getting really annoyed with his act? I know the Star will use these kinds of quotes from DJ as if he's giving the aww shucks defense, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

Gun is useless. His players aren't making tackles. If he's on the sidelines and not in the booth, then he's obviously not the one making adjustment. And if Gibbs is calling plays in, he's obviously not the gatekeeper for playcalls anymore. In the words of Bill Lumberg's consultants: "So what is you would say... you do here?"

Here's an interesting thought: apparently David Gibbs was being groomed to be the defensive coordinator in Denver. What do people think about promoting within if we assume Herm's going nowhere (which is pretty much a certainty)? This would be a good way to get change in the defense, while not extending Herm's timetable. I really want a new D-coordinator, but realize that hiring a new d-coordinator for Herm could lead to the Chiefs saying... we just hired a new coordinator, so there's no way we'll fire Herm in 2009. This could be a great way to assure that Herm is fairly evaluated in 2009.

Rausch
11-21-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know why but Gun's defenses are only as good as who we're playing.

The Colts, Pats, division leader, or super bowl favorite and we play balls out impressive.

Worst team in the league we'll puke up 400 passing yards and 180 on the ground...

Mr. Laz
11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
emotion is fine, but let's not not confuse stupidity for passion

gunther needs to go and never return ..... sorry gun.

BigChiefFan
11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I like Gunther, but his defenses haven't been good in a long time. I'd like to see a a change.

Chief Pote
11-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Statistically last......last in leadership = way gone. Chiefs Owner = stupid.

beach tribe
11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Iwas really hoping Gunther would redeem himself.

FAIL.

KCFalcon59
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Herm should be fired for keeping Gun around. Gun should be fired sucking so much.

Kerberos
11-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Herm should be fired for keeping Gun around. Gun should be fired sucking so much.

You mean Herm has never fired a Gun before? :D

chiefsngop
11-21-2008, 04:03 PM
You mean Herm has never fired a Gun before? :D

When hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions, (counting NYJ fans) of people hate your frickin guts you are probably pro-gun-control.

OctoberFart
11-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Too bad Gunther sucks as a DC and his bark is much bigger than his bite. He makes up for his incompetence and lack of knowlegde/gameplanning by yelling and screaming like he is the king ding a ling.

ModSocks
11-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm sad that I wasted 1 minute of my life reading this.

Me too, and im on my lunch break....what a waste

SAUTO
11-21-2008, 07:08 PM
That's all Gunther is, a bag of hot air, same as Krumrie.

funny how you hold so much hatred for him ever since he bitch slapped your boys

Mecca
11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
funny how you hold so much hatred for him ever since he bitch slapped your boys

What?

Are you referencing when Pete Carroll called him a moron?

SAUTO
11-21-2008, 07:42 PM
What?

Are you referencing when Pete Carroll called him a moron?

yeah because he WORE those pussies out and carroll knew he had been exposed as not having the guys prepared to stand up to the rigors of the NFL

Mecca
11-21-2008, 07:45 PM
LOL.....I think it's a safe bet that Pete Carroll is a better defensive coach than anyone on the Chiefs staff, his Superbowl ring says so.

SAUTO
11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
LOL.....I think it's a safe bet that Pete Carroll is a better defensive coach than anyone on the Chiefs staff, his Superbowl ring says so.

ok:rolleyes: and krumrie PLAYED in a SB right? what did carroll do as HC? he scared to try it again.

Mecca
11-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Please don't try to argue something just because it's me here, Pete Carroll was a very successful defensive coach in the NFL, acting like anyone on the Chiefs staff is better or knows more than him about that is absurd.

SAUTO
11-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Please don't try to argue something just because it's me here, Pete Carroll was a very successful defensive coach in the NFL, acting like anyone on the Chiefs staff is better or knows more than him about that is absurd.

you said that not I. I said that krumrie bitched out ellis and carroll cried about it. he was exposed as not having his players ready for the rigors of the nfl(look back at how many of his players are injured as rookies and some for their whole career)

Mecca
11-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Pete Carroll said Krumrie's dumbass slap fight drill was stupid which it frankly is.

I'm sure knowing how to slap fight makes you awesome, Buffalo drafted a dude named Tim Anderson in the 3rd to play DT because he was good at it? How'd that work out...yea he's not in the league anymore 4 years after being drafted.

It's a dumbass drill that has nothing to do with playing football.

SAUTO
11-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Pete Carroll said Krumrie's dumbass slap fight drill was stupid which it frankly is.

I'm sure knowing how to slap fight makes you awesome, Buffalo drafted a dude named Tim Anderson in the 3rd to play DT because he was good at it? How'd that work out...yea he's not in the league anymore 4 years after being drafted.

It's a dumbass drill that has nothing to do with playing football.

really? thats because ellis FAILED at it. slap fighting does have a place for DLINEMEN because they HAVE to fight off the OLINE's hands. what about that do you not get?

Mecca
11-21-2008, 07:58 PM
really? thats because ellis FAILED at it. slap fighting does have a place for DLINEMEN because they HAVE to fight off the OLINE's hands. what about that do you not get?

You're actually wrong even on this but hey......Lawrence Jackson was the one who was winded by it Ellis did fine then said it was odd.

SAUTO
11-21-2008, 08:02 PM
You're actually wrong even on this but hey......Lawrence Jackson was the one who was winded by it Ellis did fine then said it was odd.

thats fine it just showed how codsdled the usc guys are. not ready for the nfl, once again that is why they are always injured, look at the first rounders from this year alone then go back and look at previous years

Mecca
11-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Well we all know Tim Krumrie is a great judge of talent and knows how to coach em up....

Every defensive coach on the Chiefs is awful, period.

SAUTO
11-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Well we all know Tim Krumrie is a great judge of talent and knows how to coach em up....

Every defensive coach on the Chiefs is awful, period.

i agree with you here, just you always bash tim ever since he bitched out your boys. just sayin

Mecca
11-21-2008, 08:07 PM
I bitched about Krumrie well before that, he's just like Gunther a bag of air.

Which also has nothing to do with SC, I laughed when Carroll called him out on his lame drill that was about it.

SAUTO
11-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I bitched about Krumrie well before that, he's just like Gunther a bag of air.

Which also has nothing to do with SC, I laughed when Carroll called him out on his lame drill that was about it.

bullshit.

J Diddy
11-21-2008, 08:44 PM
[/B]

i agree with you here, just you always bash tim ever since he bitched out your boys. just sayin

Just sayin, incorrectly, mecca been bashing all d coaches forever

seems like you got some kind of hard dick for mecca.

Just sayin

T-post Tom
11-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Now if they could just give Gun a "truck stick" to make Thomas tackle the ball carrier.

Hammock Parties
11-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Now if they could just give Gun a "truck stick" to make Thomas tackle the ball carrier.

Pollard and Page play like they're a couple of 12 year old Maddeneers every Sunday. They constantly go for the knockout blow like they've got a death grip on the truck stick button. They should take a look at their tackling ratings and realize the truck stick is a recipe for disaster.

Gunther, of course, fails the training camp drills every year in a vain attempt to increase their tackling ratings.

milkman
11-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Did anyone also get the sense that the players no longer laugh about Gun's act? Before they would respond with an "awww shucks, that's just Gun shooting off his mouth again, bless his heart." Do any of you get the impression that everyone's getting really annoyed with his act? I know the Star will use these kinds of quotes from DJ as if he's giving the aww shucks defense, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

Gun is useless. His players aren't making tackles. If he's on the sidelines and not in the booth, then he's obviously not the one making adjustment. And if Gibbs is calling plays in, he's obviously not the gatekeeper for playcalls anymore. In the words of Bill Lumberg's consultants: "So what is you would say... you do here?"

Here's an interesting thought: apparently David Gibbs was being groomed to be the defensive coordinator in Denver. What do people think about promoting within if we assume Herm's going nowhere (which is pretty much a certainty)? This would be a good way to get change in the defense, while not extending Herm's timetable. I really want a new D-coordinator, but realize that hiring a new d-coordinator for Herm could lead to the Chiefs saying... we just hired a new coordinator, so there's no way we'll fire Herm in 2009. This could be a great way to assure that Herm is fairly evaluated in 2009.

It doesn't make a damn bit of sifference to me who they keep, fire, hire.

As long as Carl and Herman fucking Edwards are the GM and HC, this team will never get where it wants to go.

Keeping Herman fucking Edwards for 2009 and fairly evaluating him is a bad plan.

If this team wins between 6 or more games next year, the powers that be will decide that the team is improving and that Herman fucking Edwards will be here in 2010 and beyond, never mind that he's a suckass coach.

His game day coaching was on display in NY for everyone to see, and yet we still traded a draft pick to hire his dumb ass.

CoMoChief
11-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Gunther kicks ass.

Gunther should never ever be fired......................EVER