PDA

View Full Version : MU Pinkel gets new contract extension

Jewish Rabbi
11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Missouri and its football coach, Gary Pinkel, have agreed in principle to a lucrative contract extension that will make him one of the highest-paid coaches in the country, according to sources.

"Basically, he'll be able to end his career at Missouri," a source close to the situation said.

The length of the deal is not known, but the extension will include a sizable raise for an annual salary of approximately $2.5 million.

Pinkel's name had been floated as a possible replacement for Ty Willingham at Washington, where Pinkel had served as an assistant coach under longtime Huskies coach Don James.

Although Pinkel is staying, a source close to the program said some of his longtime staff members are being eyed for other openings. Offensive coordinator Dave Christensen is a candidate at New Mexico, and defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus also could be courted by other schools.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3717027

Sure-Oz
11-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Awesome news, now put a few I-Formation plays in the playbook!

Archie Bunker
11-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Sweet. Hopefully they find away to keep Christensen away from New Mexico and Wyoming.

duncan_idaho
11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Awesome news, now put a few I-Formation plays in the playbook!

I'd be shocked if this happens with Christensen as the OC.

When he leaves for New Mexico or Wyoming, and Yost becomes the new coordinator? Maybe...

eazyb81
11-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Fantastic news!

I wouldn't mind too much if Eberflus left for another job.

eazyb81
11-21-2008, 12:39 PM
I'd be shocked if this happens with Christensen as the OC.

When he leaves for New Mexico or Wyoming, and Yost becomes the new coordinator? Maybe...

Pretty sure Yost is the OC in waiting.

tomahawk kid
11-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Pretty sure Yost is the OC in waiting.

Or Daniel...........:)

kepp
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Pretty much what I was thinking. We were a good defense ("good" mind you, not "fantastic") away from being a serious NC challenger this year.

DJ's left nut
11-21-2008, 01:33 PM
I'd still just as soon see Pinkel go, give the job to Christianson, set Yost up as the OC and leter Pinkel take Eberflus with him.

tomahawk kid
11-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd still just as soon see Pinkel go, give the job to Christianson, set Yost up as the OC and leter Pinkel take Eberflus with him.

Wow.

How long have you been a Missouri fan?

duncan_idaho
11-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Fantastic news!

I would do backflips if Eberflus left.

Well, I would try at least.

As for setting Christensen up as the head coach... let him go prove himself first as a head coach at another school. The guy isn't perfect (too stubborn/arrogant at times, gets too conservative in tight games and big games). If he is a stud five-six years from now, you try to bring him back to replace Pinkel.

And I think the guy talking about Daniel as a coach is dead-on. He'll survive a few years in the NFL, most likely, then become an excellent football coach as part of the Pinkel coaching tree. Would love to bring him back as QB coach under Yost as the coordinator. Especially for recruiting purposes. Turn the kid loose in Texas and see what happens...

Long term, if Pinkel's staff continues to have great success, I think you see Yost replace him as HC, with Daniel possibly becoming the new OC.

ChiefsCountry
11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
I still dont know how those guys recruit. They are a bunch of assholes. From personal experience and a couple of people who work for the team.

beavis
11-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Glad this is settled now so we don't have to hear about it after the season.

duncan_idaho
11-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I still dont know how those guys recruit. They are a bunch of assholes. From personal experience and a couple of people who work for the team.

Who are you talking about, Christensen? Christensen does very little recruiting. Same with Pinkel and Eberflus.

Connell Ford, Andy Hill, Dave Steckel, Kuligiowski, Walker, Jones - those are the guys that do the bulk of the recruiting.

Hill is honestly one of the nicest guys you could meet. By far the best recruiter on the staff.

Ford has repaired the long-burned bridges in St. Louis twice (once when they got there, and again after the Damien Nash blowup).

I can see how recruits would like Steckel. No-nonsense guy with a lot of energy and fire and a LITTLE bit crazy (just liked you'd expect a LB coach). Kuligiowski seems to be universally loved by the guys he recruits. Jones and Walker ... nothing great, nothing bad.

POND_OF_RED
11-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Pinkel is a huge asshole from what I've heard. A buddy of mine used to work as an equipment manager for the Tigers until this year. The equipment managers used to always get the bowl rings as well but last year Pinkel did away with that at the last second saying they didn't deserve it. Which I could understand but he still gave the cheerleading coach a ring as well as his brother-in-law. I'm pretty sure the equipment managers deserve a ring more than those people.

Midnight_Vulture
11-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Good for Misery.

Still though, they need to figure out how to beat and at least compete with the Big Boys of the Big 12 (texas, okla, okla st, texas tech etc).

I still am laughing at the thought of Misery playing USC. ROFL

POND_OF_RED
11-21-2008, 03:11 PM

That would be pretty weird to watch USC go against a top 20 team. That usually doesn't happen.

Midnight_Vulture
11-21-2008, 03:13 PM
That would be pretty weird to watch USC go against a top 20 team. That usually doesn't happen.

USC 35
OSU 3

OWNED

duncan_idaho
11-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Good for Misery.

Still though, they need to figure out how to beat and at least compete with the Big Boys of the Big 12 (texas, okla, okla st, texas tech etc).

You realize Missouri has beaten Tech 3 out of 4 times under Gary Pinkel (including the two seasons prior to this one) and has gone 2-2 against Oklahoma State?

Say all you want about beating Texas and Oklahoma, but Missouri has been just fine against Tech and OKlahoma State.

Midnight_Vulture
11-21-2008, 03:14 PM
How'd they do againist Okla State this year huh? Wasnt this supposed to be Misery's year Bwhahahahahaha

Pitt Gorilla
11-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Good for Misery.

I still am laughing at the thought of Misery playing USC. ROFLHow has MU done against Texas Tech in recent years?

POND_OF_RED
11-21-2008, 03:16 PM
USC 35
OSU 3

OWNED

Wow. You can beat an overrated team at home without there best player and a freshman QB playing his first full game. Very impressive.

Pitt Gorilla
11-21-2008, 03:17 PM
How'd they do againist Okla State this year huh? Wasnt this supposed to be Misery's year BwhahahahahahaHow did USC do against world-beater Oregon State?

teedubya
11-21-2008, 03:20 PM
This is shitty news.

POND_OF_RED
11-21-2008, 03:23 PM
How did USC do against world-beater Oregon State?

I love how USC fans are thinking of a BCS game when they aren't even going to win there own shitty conference.

Frazod
11-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I love how USC fans are thinking of a BCS game when they aren't even going to win there own shitty conference.

Well, they're going to get it, so they might as well think that way.

Sure-Oz
11-21-2008, 03:30 PM
How'd they do againist Okla State this year huh? Wasnt this supposed to be Misery's year Bwhahahahahaha

Shit happens, just like the beavers ripping up USC earlier this year

POND_OF_RED
11-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, they're going to get it, so they might as well think that way.

They will but they haven't done shit to earn it. It's just sad to think that the second place Pac 10 team will be in a BCS game. Something needs to change.

Sure-Oz
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I doubt he truly is a USC fan, he probably likes all great programs

duncan_idaho
11-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Not quite as well as they did against Illinois, Will Davis and the "best line in the Big Ten" that you were touting so hard before you guaranteed they'd lose to Illinois.

I think most Missouri fans would have loved another shot at the Cowboys.

luv
11-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Who released the beast, and why?

Frazod
11-21-2008, 04:11 PM
They will but they haven't done shit to earn it. It's just sad to think that the second place Pac 10 team will be in a BCS game. Something needs to change.

Lots of things need to change; this is just a small part of that.

At least USC is a good team that will probably win whatever game they appear in. I'd rather see them there than the Suckeyes, for example (but that's inevitable).

When it comes to the Big XII, just like last year, the loser of the Conference Championship Game won't get a BCS bid. But unlike last year, that won't be a sick fucking joke.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Or Daniel...........:)

Daniel has other work to the west of Columbia, and east of the Kansass State Line yet to do( Oh yes; I went there again! ). :evil:

Saul Good
11-21-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't see 2 Pac 10 teams in the BCS. There are too many other deserving teams. The Big 12 will get 2. Boise State is in line for one, and so is Utah. That would be a tough sell.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Lots of things need to change; this is just a small part of that.

At least USC is a good team that will probably win whatever game they appear in. I'd rather see them there than the Suckeyes,(1) for example (but that's inevitable).

When it comes to the Big XII, just like last year, the loser of the Conference Championship Game won't get a BCS bid. But unlike last year, that won't be a sick fucking joke.(2)

1)
Now Frazod, you know damned good and well that the entire world will explode in to flame if the BCS breaks it's contract with Beelzebub, and allows anyone other than Michigan or Douchebag State exclusive rights to pimp Dr. Pepper and new cars for them, regardless of merit.
2)
WORD.

KcMizzou
11-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Excellent. Keep up the good work, coach.

KChiefs1
11-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Fantastic news!

Eberflus to Toledo & Amstutz to Mizzou.

Spott
11-21-2008, 09:55 PM
When it comes to the Big XII, just like last year, the loser of the Conference Championship Game won't get a BCS bid. But unlike last year, that won't be a sick fucking joke.

The team that could get screwed the most is Texas Tech. Even if they beat OU, they will not get a BCS bid if they lose the Big 12 championship game. They may end up getting the same deal that Kansas St did 10 years ago when they were forced to play in the Alamo Bowl.

POND_OF_RED
11-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Pinkel coming up on ESPN News in just a minute.