PDA

View Full Version : Football Could Big XII end up with three BCS teams?

tk13
11-21-2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-bcs20-2008nov20,0,7962190.story

Unlikely chain of events might knock USC to the Holiday Bowl.
By Chris Dufresne
November 20, 2008

Bowl Championship Series commissioners recently had to mediate a conflict in their own rule book that could affect USC's bowl plans.

BCS rules stipulate that no more than two schools from one conference can receive BCS bowl bids, yet rules also state that conference champions must receive an automatic bid and that No. 1 and No. 2 in the BCS standings must meet in the title game.

There is a remote chance this year that Missouri could win the Big 12 title and two one-loss schools from the Big 12 South could end up No. 1 and No. 2 in the BCS standings.

So what gives?

"There would be three [Big 12] teams in that case," BCS spokesman Bill Hancock confirmed Wednesday.

In this scenario, one-loss USC could get knocked all the way to the Holiday Bowl if Oregon State earns the Rose Bowl bid.

USC, at 11-1, figured to be a lock for an at-large berth, which would earn an additional $4.5 million for the Pacific 10 Conference. But those plans could change if the Big 12 ended up with three of the 10 BCS slots.

The Big 12 would then have two of the four available at-large bids, and a non-BCS school figures to earn another with a top-12 finish. That would leave only one at-large spot left.

If Florida suffers a second loss, to Florida State, but then hands a first loss to Alabama in the SEC title game, and the Crimson Tide fell to only No. 3 in the BCS standings, USC would get locked out of a BCS bid.

The chances of all this happening are remote, but the possibility of three teams from the Big 12 being in BCS games forced commissioners to make a preemptive decision.

Ebolapox
11-21-2008, 09:56 PM
heh. cool. but it'll never happen.

Bowser
11-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Being a Mizzou fan notwithstanding, I would love to see this scenario take place just to stick it to the BCS. But Mizzou doesn't have the defense to stand up to whichever South team comes to KC, so like ebola said, it will never happen.

Frazod
11-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, the only South power we match up well with is Tech. We thumped them pretty good last year. And if it's a cold day at Arrowhead, you never know.....

Long shot, but what the fuck?

sedated
11-21-2008, 10:21 PM
that would (honestly) be cool as shit!

11-21-2008, 10:53 PM
If MU wins that game, no way will the BCS powers that be keep two Big 12 schools in the two top spots. The team that lost to MU would definitely drop.

DeepSouth
11-21-2008, 11:27 PM
It doesn't really matter. The winner of the SEC will be the national champ no matter what happens with the Big 12.

bango
11-21-2008, 11:53 PM
It would depend on if the voters play ball or not too.

11-21-2008, 11:57 PM
It doesn't really matter. The winner of the SEC will be the national champ no matter what happens with the Big 12.Uh, if the championship game involves 2 big 12 teams, I don't think so.

kstater
11-22-2008, 04:02 AM
I thought about that last week. The only way it could happen would be TTU winning this week then losing to Mizzou, while Florida loses this week and then beats Alabama. But the Pollsters would try hard and put USC above either Texas or OU.

|Zach|
11-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Side note...

Anyone wanna hit up the Big 12 Champ game?

I have a pair I am getting a hold of and a buddy of mine couldn't make it. $100 drop me a line.