PDA

View Full Version : Poop NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Pages : [1] 2

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 12:27 AM
STUPIDEST ****ING ENDING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus all the entertainment of other things.

DaFace
11-22-2008, 12:32 AM
I know nothing about it, but I can tell you that my wife hated the book, and that's extremely rare for her.

Boon
11-22-2008, 12:36 AM
A pretty good movie until the end.
The ending ruins all that was good.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2008, 12:40 AM
More proof that J Diddy is one of the lowest forms of life known to man.

11-22-2008, 12:46 AM
More proof that J Diddy is one of the lowest forms of life known to man.Guess you have some company now. :D

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 12:48 AM
More proof that J Diddy is one of the lowest forms of life known to man.

More Proof that J Diddy is one of the lowest forms of life known to man.

by CE Wendler

HI. I'm not fat anymore. J diddy sucks cause he can get laid. The end. Btw Gailey eat crow.

stupid fuck

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 12:49 AM
A pretty good movie until the end.
The ending ruins all that was good.

I agree it was great til the end. It just stopped.

Boon
11-22-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree it was great til the end. It just stopped.

When the credits rolled I honestly thought it was a joke.
The wife and I just looked at each other and said. "WTF?"
I felt ripped off.

Thig Lyfe
11-22-2008, 01:05 AM
The ending was great, but I stopped trying to argue why a long time ago.

Reaper16
11-22-2008, 01:15 AM
No Country's ending is excellent.

No, really. It is superb.

Thig Lyfe
11-22-2008, 01:15 AM
No Country's ending is excellent.

No, really. It is superb.

Agreed.

Boon
11-22-2008, 01:19 AM

I am not arguing, but why did you think so?

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2008, 01:29 AM

Let me guess:

You didn't figure out that Harrison Ford's character in "Blade Runner" was an android, did you?

Boon
11-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Let me guess:

You didn't figure out that Harrison Ford's character in "Blade Runner" was an android, did you?

Didn't see it, so I don't get the reference.

noa
11-22-2008, 01:33 AM
I liked the ending

Thig Lyfe
11-22-2008, 01:34 AM

Because it was the perfect bookend to the film and ties together the real theme of the movie. If you'll recall, the first few minutes of the film is just shots of landscape as Sheriff Bell tells a story about a murderer who says, before he's about to be executed, that he would have done it again if given the chance. Bell wonders how you stop that kind of evil. He wonders if it's really worth trying.

(Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen the movie yet)

At the end, Anton has gotten away with the money. All the good guys died. Evil wasn't stopped, despite Bell's efforts. All the pursuit was ultimately for naught. So Bell retires. And it ends much the way it began: with Bell telling a story.

The entire movie is a misdirection, really. You think it's about Moss and Anton and the money. It's really about Bell. It's about an aging lawman who comes to the cold realization that he's been fighting a futile battle all these years. It's about following his dad to the camp, to peace. The dreams he describes occurred because of this realization, because of his decision to retire.

Now, from what I've read this is extremely faithful to the book. So it's not like the Coens made some wacky decision to end it weird. It was a part of the book, and it was vital to the completion of the film. No other ending would have worked the way this ending did.

(I loved the end of Burn After Reading for much of the same kinds of reasons. It exemplified the "much ado about nothing" nature of the film, and was the perfectly frivolous ending to a story about frivolous people doing frivolous things.)

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Didn't see it, so I don't get the reference.

And you call yourself an American?

Boon
11-22-2008, 01:38 AM

Where'd I do that?

11-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Let me guess:

You didn't figure out that Harrison Ford's character in "Blade Runner" was an android, did you?Nor did he ever see the unicorn.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Because it was the perfect bookend to the film and ties together the real theme of the movie. If you'll recall, the first few minutes of the film is just shots of landscape as Sheriff Bell tells a story about a murderer who says, before he's about to be executed, that he would have done it again if given the chance. Bell wonders how you stop that kind of evil. He wonders if it's really worth trying.

(Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen the movie yet)

At the end, Anton has gotten away with the money. All the good guys died. Evil wasn't stopped, despite Bell's efforts. All the pursuit was ultimately for naught. So Bell retires. And it ends much the way it began: with Bell telling a story.

The entire movie is a misdirection, really. You think it's about Moss and Anton and the money. It's really about Bell. It's about an aging lawman who comes to the cold realization that he's been fighting a futile battle all these years. It's about following his dad to the camp, to peace. The dreams he describes occurred because of this realization, because of his decision to retire.

Now, from what I've read this is extremely faithful to the book. So it's not like the Coens made some wacky decision to end it weird. It was a part of the book, and it was vital to the completion of the film. No other ending would have worked the way this ending did.

(I loved the end of Burn After Reading for much of the same kinds of reasons. It exemplified the "much ado about nothing" nature of the film, and was the perfectly frivolous ending to a story about frivolous people doing frivolous things.)

Yeah, screw that. The problem I have with that is for the majority of the film he wasn't involved. I had no connection to him. Seemed like the beginning and the end he was there.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 01:40 AM

We all ain't got them fancy houses with them vcrs.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2008, 01:41 AM
We all ain't got them fancy houses with them vcrs.

ROFL

Baby Lee
11-22-2008, 06:52 AM

This. Though, FTR, there is a lengthy exposition somewhere on this site from back when I was trying to make the case.

But then, I thought The Sopranos ended the best way it possibly could have.

MOhillbilly
11-22-2008, 07:19 AM
great movie, great ending.

Deberg_1990
11-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Chasing down evil truly is: "No Country for Old Men"

ragedogg69
11-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Its a very un-hollywood ending that is for sure. The problem is the author (McCarther?) is notorious for have slow build up through out his stories with very disappointing endings. Like you want to burn the book its so maddening.

The Road is the same way. except you have a little kid through out the story annoying the shit out of you. Look for that hitting theaters next year. I will avoid it like the plague.

Not a problem with the Coen Brothers, they are good storytellers, but they had a horrible story to work with in NCFOM.

blaise
11-22-2008, 08:59 AM
I liked the ending. But I've read a lot of his books and maybe that made it easier to get. When he talks at the end about his dream where his father is carrying a torch or fire or something, it's something McCarthy uses in other books.
In the book The Road the Man and the Boy make references to "carrying the fire", and in the book it means they're fighting for Good against Evil. In that book 90% of humans are evil. The boy asks the the father, "we're the good guys right?" and says, "we're carrying the fire."
Jones's charcater in the Old Country knows his father spent his life fighting for Good against Evil, his father was carrying the fire, and at the end Jones is saying he can't fight the fight anymore, he feels overwhelmed and he let his father down.
I guess some people like cookie cutter movies with nice easy endings all the time. Maybe we should just make Lethal Weapon movies again and again.

Brock
11-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Let me guess:

This is the first time I've ever heard that. :hmmm:

blaise
11-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I didn't know that either.

blaise
11-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Why does he feel pain when Rutger Hauer is kicking his ass?

Deberg_1990
11-22-2008, 09:06 AM
I guess some people like cookie cutter movies with nice easy endings all the time. Maybe we should just make Lethal Weapon movies again and again.

Most film watchers these days have been conditioned for everything to have a nice happy clean ending.

People do not like open ended or ambiguous endings.

Thats partially the dumbing down of mainstream hollywood flicks and partially the nature of movie watching itself. Its a completely different experience than reading a book obviously.

raybec 4
11-22-2008, 09:09 AM
To me this movie represented what is probably the most accurate true to life ending I've ever seen. The bad guy gets away and everyone else just moves on. That's the way things go sometimes. It's not Hollywood glory but I found it to be very entertaining.

Otter
11-22-2008, 09:11 AM

What he said.

If you want a nice happy ending at the end of your story with all the ends tied up so you can go to bed without having to think about what happened go watch that bile that Michael Bay regurgitates.

Bet you loved "Transformers" didn't you?

Evil "won", life isn't fair and God forbid your asked to use your imagination a bit.

raybec 4
11-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Its a very un-hollywood ending that is for sure. The problem is the author (McCarther?) is notorious for have slow build up through out his stories with very disappointing endings. Like you want to burn the book its so maddening.

The Road is the same way. except you have a little kid through out the story annoying the shit out of you. Look for that hitting theaters next year. I will avoid it like the plague.

Not a problem with the Coen Brothers, they are good storytellers, but they had a horrible story to work with in NCFOM.

The onlr real problem I had with "The Road" is nobody has a fucking name, what the fuck is that about?

Brock
11-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I didn't care about the ending, as everything that came before it was awesomeness.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 09:15 AM
What he said.

If you want a nice happy ending at the end of your story with all the ends tied up so you can go to bed without having to think about what happened go watch that bile that Michael Bay regurgitates.

Bet you loved "Transformers" didn't you?

Evil "won", life isn't fair and God forbid your asked to use your imagination a bit.

If I want to use my imagination I will imagine the beginning and the end or perhaps read a book. I watch a movie to get the director/casts interpretation of the story.

FWIW, I loved the Transformers movie, but I don't see how that applies here.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 09:16 AM
I didn't care about the ending, as everything that came before it was awesomeness.

I would agree. i was totally into the movie then it just seemed to stop.

patteeu
11-22-2008, 09:43 AM

That's what I was thinking too.

At first, the ending caught me off guard, but after thinking about it I thought it made sense for the reasons already mentioned. If the body of the movie hadn't been so excellent, I might not have bothered thinking about what initially seemed like a "WTF ending" and might have just written it off as a weird ending to a bad movie.

patteeu
11-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I liked Transformers and didn't have a clue that Harrison Ford's Blade Runner character was an android. Is that for real?

Deberg_1990
11-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I liked Transformers and didn't have a clue that Harrison Ford's Blade Runner character was an android. Is that for real?

I think in the original cut, there is no mention of it or allusion to it. There are however different versions of it where it might be mentioned??

Buehler445
11-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I posted a similar question in the Movies thread and got a similar answer.

Knowing what I know now, I appreciate the movie and that aspect, but I went in wanting some mad passionate mindless violence.

It's a pretty good flick and definitely one that makes you think, but it is certainly not one of my all time favorites.

Otter
11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
If I want to use my imagination I will imagine the beginning and the end or perhaps read a book. I watch a movie to get the director/casts interpretation of the story.

FWIW, I loved the Transformers movie, but I don't see how that applies here.

I was more or less ranting about the movies I consider 'canned' like transformers vs. a unique interpretation such as 'No Country for Old Men”.

Many people seemed to dislike the film because everything isn’t wrapped up in a neat little package and topped off with the bad guy being brought to justice and the husband and wife living happily ever after like some quasi Disney Film.

I had a good friend become mad at the film because they didn’t show Chigurh killing Llewelyn’s wife. I tried to explain the parallel of when he walked onto the porch after that scene and looked at his shoes. Remember when he killed Carson (Woody)? See the parallel?

Subtlety is good.

It just pisses me off when people get mad at a movie because it isn’t dumbed down enough and lacks an ending where every little detail is explained so a feeling of closure can happen at the ending credits. Use your imagination, fill in the blanks.

If that’s not the case here I apologize but to me this problem just adds to the dumbed down, regurgitated, no substance shit like Michael Bay puts out and it pisses me off!

:cuss: end rant

Delano
11-22-2008, 10:07 AM

If you don't have compassion for that little boy, you don't have a soul. Annoying? Please...

Fairplay
11-22-2008, 10:16 AM
The ending did take me off guard for a few moments.

But after thinking about it. I thought it was a good ending.

I also thought, that along with the title of the movie, it was about the sheriff and the changes going on that he ultimately can't control.

Like Otter said, it's not a typical dumbed down ending Hollywood style. At that is what i found most people complaining about.

blaise
11-22-2008, 10:19 AM
If you don't have compassion for that little boy, you don't have a soul. Annoying? Please...

Agreed 100%.

Fairplay
11-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Also, from what i gather they put these movies before test audiences and give them a questionnaire to fill out, one question stating what they thought of the ending.

So the Coen brothers already knew what was coming around the corner for them.

I'm sure there were people in Hollywood suggesting to the Coen brothers to change it.

But they didn't go along with it.

Maybe they should have had two different endings for the DVD.

One for the intelligent crowd and one for typical Hollywood endings.
Insert which CD fits you.

raybec 4
11-22-2008, 10:23 AM

Maybe I am a glaring example of the problem (neat packages, no imagination etc.) but I for some reason found it hard to get attached to "the boy" or "the man". Icould not get past the fact that they remained un-named

blaise
11-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I can't understand why it matters if they were named. It just shows that the world no longer cares about names, professions or anything else.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Why does he feel pain when Rutger Hauer is kicking his ass?

If you rewatch the entire movie, you'll see a few clues alluding to the fact that his character may be an android as well.

That's one of the reasons the film is so highly revered. It's kind of like "Catcher in the Rye". The author never really comes out and tells you that he's talking to a therapist the entire time.

BWillie
11-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm not going to lie, I thought it was a clever movie, but for them to kill a character I had been attached to 3/5 of the way through the movie kind of pissed me off. It differs from the Departed because not only did Leo die, Wahlberg gets revenge on Damon at the end of the movie and it seems some justice was at least achieved. (pardon me for not knowing actual character names)

raybec 4
11-22-2008, 10:41 AM
I can't explain it, it just bugged me, I was at least hoping for some hint of a name when he was remembering his wife. I just couldn't find the humanity I guess, I don't even think that makes sense but names would have given them an element of their humanity that I probably needed. I felt that the father should have at least referred to his son by name.

Frazod
11-22-2008, 10:49 AM
That ending made me want to beat the shit out of somebody. It sucked dick.

Would you have liked The Godfather if Al Pacino had been killed offscreeen?

Would you have liked Unforgiven if it had ended with Clint Eastwood getting sideswiped off his horse by an out-of-control wagon?

Would you have liked Seven if the box hadn't been delivered because the delivery truck broke down?

FUCK THAT ENDING.

Lzen
11-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I didn't care much for. And no, I am not one who loves a lot of the canned Hollywood flicks. Just didn't think this movie lived up to the hype, frankly. But hey, we are entitled to our opinions. Doesn't mean one is better than the others.

KcMizzou
11-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I didn't care much for. And no, I am not one who loves a lot of the canned Hollywood flicks. Just didn't think this movie lived up to the hype, frankly. But hey, we are entitled to our opinions. Doesn't mean one is better than the others.I agree. It was good, but geez... the hype was unreal.

blaise
11-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Another of McCarthy's books is being adapted into a movie- Blood Meridian. I honestly don't see how they're going to do it. It's basically non stop killing all the way through.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Another of McCarthy's books is being adapted into a movie- Blood Meridian. I honestly don't see how they're going to do it. It's basically non stop killing all the way through.

until what? the end, they just fade to black.

patteeu
11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
The ending did take me off guard for a few moments.

But after thinking about it. I thought it was a good ending.

I also thought, that along with the title of the movie, it was about the sheriff and the changes going on that he ultimately can't control.

Like Otter said, it's not a typical dumbed down ending Hollywood style. At that is what i found most people complaining about.

The title of the movie was definitely helpful in that regard.

Reaper16
11-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Some people are not very receptive to art.

blaise
11-22-2008, 02:42 PM
until what? the end, they just fade to black.

More or less actually. I'll put it this way: if you didn't like the ending to No Country For Old Men, I doubt you'll like the ending to Blood Meridian.

noa
11-22-2008, 02:50 PM
More or less actually. I'll put it this way: if you didn't like the ending to No Country For Old Men, I doubt you'll like the ending to Blood Meridian.

Yeah, no kidding. Blood Meridian has a very similar anti-climactic ending, although there are various theories about exactly what goes on in that outhouse. I never really cared to know that much.

I think the movie could be good, but there's definitely some stuff I don't think the MPAA would let them get away with if its true to the book.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Gonna avoid it like the plague.

Baby Lee
11-22-2008, 03:52 PM

Would you have liked Unforgiven if it had ended with Clint Eastwood getting sideswiped off his horse by an out-of-control wagon?

Would you have liked Seven if the box hadn't been delivered because the delivery truck broke down?

**** THAT ENDING.

Ending make brain hurt!!
Hulk SMASH!!!

Thig Lyfe
11-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Some people are not very receptive to art.

This...

Ultra Peanut
11-22-2008, 05:44 PM
The ending was perfect.

I'll explain. The entire point was:

fuk u

Frazod
11-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Art my ass. I get tired of people trying to put a pretty bow on a steaming turd and call it "art," and then poo-poo the people who "don't get it."

I got it. I understand the point.

AND THAT DIDN'T STOP THE ENDING FROM SUCKING ASS.

Thank you.

:shake:

Ultra Peanut
11-22-2008, 05:59 PM
How would you have ended it?

ragedogg69
11-22-2008, 05:59 PM

What I found annoying was the fact that he was crammed down your throat for you to sympathize with. He was so pure and so good, almost like the conscience of the Man. It was annoying that even at the end of the book, despite this world being a truly horrible place and full of horrible people, that he was still being so naive.

Even after they find the half eaten baby, the kid isnt fucked up. I thought he would have grown up so to speak at the end. And having the man die at the end only to have the boy rescued, I put down the book and asked "WTF was the point of that"

My biggest gripe was them not staying in the well stocked bomb shelter. why was there such an urgency to get to the coast? why not just stay there in the well hidden bunker until rations start to get low, pack what you can and then leave. Made no sense to me.

Frazod
11-22-2008, 06:12 PM

1. At least show Brolin getting killed. Too major of a character to get greased offscreen. And to get popped by people who were barely part of the story?

2. Skip the wreck. Pointless and annoying.

I don't care that the bad guy won. That's fine. But the whole story is leading you to a confrontation, and then when it should happen they just shove shit in your face and call it art. If I'm somehow lame for wanting the storyline resolved, well, sue me. If I want to see a bunch of disjointed random shit I'll look out the window.

Thig Lyfe
11-22-2008, 06:28 PM
You're lame and don't get it.

Frazod
11-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Shouldn't you be sipping espresso in Greenwich Village right now?

Midnight_Vulture
11-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Sigh:shake:

THere is a reason this film was up for many Oscars (and won many Oscars)...CAUSE ITS BRILLANT!!!

Seriously, if you hated the ending then if I were you I would rewatch it or something cause the ending is the best part. It is deep and touching. Tommy Lee Jones' monologue really hits home.

As far as showing Brolin getting killed goes...why??? The Coens were doing something less conventional and it worked out perfectly. Brolin was offed just like that and that was a great move.

Of course, I dont expect a number of you "simpletons" to understand this film or book. That would be asking too much.:shake:

Frazod
11-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Everybody who loved this movie - meet your new friend. LMAO

Thig Lyfe
11-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Shouldn't you be sipping espresso in Greenwich Village right now?

Do you write those McDonald's coffee commercials?

Deberg_1990
11-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Id like to see Michael Bays: "No Country for Old Men" starring Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck.

Baby Lee
11-22-2008, 07:09 PM

Bruce Willis saves Julia Roberts from the gas chamber.

Baby Lee
11-22-2008, 07:13 PM

Cut Fraz some slack, he hasn't been the same since the 65 Newport Folk Festival.

Went for some troubador wisdom, got some jive boogity-woogity electrified shit.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Sigh:shake:

THere is a reason this film was up for many Oscars (and won many Oscars)...CAUSE ITS BRILLANT!!!

Seriously, if you hated the ending then if I were you I would rewatch it or something cause the ending is the best part. It is deep and touching. Tommy Lee Jones' monologue really hits home.

As far as showing Brolin getting killed goes...why??? The Coens were doing something less conventional and it worked out perfectly. Brolin was offed just like that and that was a great move.

Of course, I dont expect a number of you "simpletons" to understand this film or book. That would be asking too much.:shake:

The mere fact that this douche likes it proves my point

Baby Lee
11-22-2008, 07:23 PM
The mere fact that this douche likes it proves my point

The fact that you posted this proves your lack of facility with regards to logic or the mechanics of establishing points.

That, and the fact that you're not self-aware enough to be embarassed that you didn't get a movie capable of being comprehended and appreciated even by a spraytan douchebag clubboi.

Ultra Peanut
11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
The best ending would have been to have Bell walk into a room and see this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUDcSeUvkOw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUDcSeUvkOw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
The fact that you posted this proves your lack of facility with regards to logic or the mechanics of establishing points.

Word.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 07:30 PM

That, and the fact that you're not self-aware enough to be embarassed that you didn't get a movie capable of being comprehended and appreciated even by a spraytan douchebag clubboi.

No I just thought the movie sucked. Psycho babble bullshit aside, I would have to agree with Fraz's assessment. This movie was setting you up for a confrontation from the beginning. It ended by some old guy talking about some dreams.

Baby Lee
11-22-2008, 07:37 PM
No I just thought the movie sucked. Psycho babble bullshit aside, I would have to agree with Fraz's assessment. This movie was setting you up for a confrontation from the beginning. It ended by some old guy talking about some dreams.

That's the whole f@cking point. The movies and legend have us all primed to go High Noon against evil, when in the real world, petty peripheral shit [like a bunch of wilding Mexicans getting the jump on everyone] ruins the narrative, and sometimes evil wins anyways.

It makes you wonder what it says about you that you wanted, needed, the ending you expected, rather than the one you got.

Frazod
11-22-2008, 07:52 PM
That's the whole f@cking point. The movies and legend have us all primed to go High Noon against evil, when in the real world, petty peripheral shit [like a bunch of wilding Mexicans getting the jump on everyone] ruins the narrative, and sometimes evil wins anyways.

It makes you wonder what it says about you that you wanted, needed, the ending you expected, rather than the one you got.

I figured all this shit out when I saw the movie. Really. I got it then, I get it now. I didn't even need some snooty brie-sniffing film critic to explain it to me, either. Swear to God.

AND IT STILL FUCKING SUCKS.

But if painting yourself as Gentile King Of The Arts because this steaming pile of shit sang to your soul makes you feel better about yourself, by all means, carry on.

Deberg_1990
11-22-2008, 07:55 PM

You know what the problem with NCFOM is? The Coen bros did too good a job of making a tight, taunt little thriller for the 1st 1 hour 45 minutes. IM serious, they did. They should have just said, the heck with the book, lets change this crap and finished things out to a natural conclusion.

They set everyone up. If they would have done a crappy or even average job with that, nobody would have given a sh*t about the crappy ending.

KCChiefsMan
11-22-2008, 07:58 PM
I for one loved No Country. It pretty much followed the book 100% and was great IMO. To each their own though

KcMizzou
11-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I did like the movie. (Wait... I suppose I should call it a "film") The intense hype surrounding it, made it a little underwhelming... that's all.

That said, the whole "If you didn't like it, you're just a moron who doesn't understand or appreciate art" arguement is fucking obnoxious.

Get over yourself. Not everyone is going to enjoy the same things you do.

Frazod
11-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I did like the movie. (Wait... I suppose I should call it a "film") The intense hype surrounding it, made it a little underwhelming... that's all.

That said, the whole "If you didn't like it, you're just a moron who doesn't understand or appreciate art" arguement is fucking obnoxious.

Get over yourself. Not everyone is going to enjoy the same things you do.

THANK YOU

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 08:56 PM

LOL

That I needed the ending?

Tell me what it says about you the need to cram the "that's the way life is" ending down my throat and then insult me because I thought it sucked. Newsflash, I don't watch a movie to dwell on realty, I watch it as a release from it.

That I didn't like the ending says nothing about me as a person. The fact that you're bombarding me with your dime store psychology and using it as some sort of an ink blot test says tons about you.

Boon
11-22-2008, 09:58 PM
LOL

That I needed the ending?

Tell me what it says about you the need to cram the "that's the way life is" ending down my throat and then insult me because I thought it sucked. Newsflash, I don't watch a movie to dwell on realty, I watch it as a release from it.

That I didn't like the ending says nothing about me as a person. The fact that you're bombarding me with your dime store psychology and using it as some sort of an ink blot test says tons about you.

This.

burt
11-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I am not stupid but I am not pompous either. I hated the ending.

"That will do pig, that will do" was much better.

Otter
11-22-2008, 10:51 PM
1. At least show Brolin getting killed. Too major of a character to get greased offscreen. And to get popped by people who were barely part of the story?

2. Skip the wreck. Pointless and annoying.

I don't care that the bad guy won. That's fine. But the whole story is leading you to a confrontation, and then when it should happen they just shove shit in your face and call it art. If I'm somehow lame for wanting the storyline resolved, well, sue me. If I want to see a bunch of disjointed random shit I'll look out the window.

http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/images/24080_p.jpg
Chug was picked up by the police on his way to a local hotel where he was going to set his arm broken from the crash. He was found guilty on all charges and spent the rest of his life in prison. He found Jesus and repented his sins on his death bed.

When he got to heaven he met with Llywellyn and his wife where they hugged, made up realizing and discussing their mistakes they made in their mortal bodies.

They were all reincarnated as bumble bees where they currently spend their days collecting nectar and building combs for their larvae. The Chugarh bumble bee ironically only has one antenna and gets lost when its windy.

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/images/24080_p.jpg
Chug was picked up by the police on his way to a local hotel where he was going to set his arm broken from the crash. He was found guilty on all charges and spent the rest of his life in prison. He found Jesus and repented his sins on his death bed.

When he got to heaven he met with Llywellyn and his wife where they hugged, made up realizing and discussing their mistakes they made in their mortal bodies.

They were all reincarnated as bumble bees where they currently spend their days collecting nectar and building combs for their larvae. The Chugarh bumble bee ironically only has one antenna and gets lost when its windy.

:rolleyes:

and if I had paid to see that play out I'd still be pissed

Otter
11-22-2008, 11:13 PM
:rolleyes:

and if I had paid to see that play out I'd still be pissed

You sir are a master of subtlety.

IT WAS A FUCKING JOKE

Good Lord!

J Diddy
11-22-2008, 11:35 PM
You sir are a master of subtlety.

IT WAS A ****ING JOKE

Good Lord!

As was I. It's not like I'm out to get the otters

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Rosebud was her pussy

Ultra Peanut
11-23-2008, 03:16 AM
You know what the problem with NCFOM is? The Coen bros did too good a job of making a tight, taunt little thriller for the 1st 1 hour 45 minutes. IM serious, they did. They should have just said, the heck with the book, lets change this crap and finished things out to a natural conclusion.It could be argued that the actual ending was the most natural conclusion.

Thig Lyfe
11-23-2008, 03:19 AM
It could be argued that the actual ending was the most natural conclusion.

Yes.

Because it was.

Because, as I already said, the story was not about Moss and Anton and the money and the thriller. It was about Bell.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 03:20 AM
It could be argued that the actual ending was the most natural conclusion.

I agree with you on most discussions.

However, the ending was shit.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Yes.

Because it was.

Because, as I already said, the story was not about Moss and Anton and the money and the thriller. It was about Bell.

well, then, i'm pissed about the misdirection

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Like I said earlier: some people are not very receptive to art.

That's not a bad thing necessarily. It's not a bad thing that you thought the ending sucked. But you should realize that you're taking the wrong approach with the movie. It is a commentary on the harshness of reality, the lack of a clean and perfect narrative in reality. It is art. There is nothing wrong with only enjoying movies as escapsim, but some movies don't lend themselves to that mode precisely because they're art -- they make the viewer think and question and emote.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 03:28 AM
BTW -- many of the best films ever are ones that reject the "escapism" school and are willing to be artistic.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 03:28 AM
Like I said earlier: some people are not very receptive to art.

That's not a bad thing necessarily. It's not a bad thing that you thought the ending sucked. But you should realize that you're taking the wrong approach with the movie. It is a commentary on the harshness of reality, the lack of a clean and perfect narrative in reality. It is art. There is nothing wrong with only enjoying movies as escapsim, but some movies don't lend themselves to that mode precisely because they're art -- they make the viewer think and question and emote.

one man's art is another man's scribbles

that being said, that is your interpretation of the movie

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 03:33 AM
that being said, that is your interpretation of the movie
And, you know, everyone with decent cognitive function's, too.

Hell, it was even Frazod's interpretation of the movie, and he's on your side of this argument.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 03:35 AM

Hell, it was even Frazod's interpretation of the movie, and he's on your side of this argument.

I have no "side"

I didn't like the ending. Nothing you can say or fling will change that.

Friendo
11-23-2008, 07:39 AM
I was more or less ranting about the movies I consider 'canned' like transformers vs. a unique interpretation such as 'No Country for Old Men”.

Many people seemed to dislike the film because everything isn’t wrapped up in a neat little package and topped off with the bad guy being brought to justice and the husband and wife living happily ever after like some quasi Disney Film.

I had a good friend become mad at the film because they didn’t show Chigurh killing Llewelyn’s wife. I tried to explain the parallel of when he walked onto the porch after that scene and looked at his shoes. Remember when he killed Carson (Woody)? See the parallel?

Subtlety is good.

It just pisses me off when people get mad at a movie because it isn’t dumbed down enough and lacks an ending where every little detail is explained so a feeling of closure can happen at the ending credits. Use your imagination, fill in the blanks.

If that’s not the case here I apologize but to me this problem just adds to the dumbed down, regurgitated, no substance shit like Michael Bay puts out and it pisses me off!

:cuss: end rant

agreed--and that points out another of my favorite Coen subtlety's in "Fargo", where Marge is talking to her HS friend on the phone after meeting Mike at the hotel restaurant. She "discovers" from the friend that Mike's story about his wife having cancer was total bs. The shock on her face, and her over-reaction were (to me) a Coen masterpiece of understatement. My take was that Marge gave Mike a sympathy bj ROFL ROFL gold!

I liked the ending of NC and agree that it fit with the narrative/narrator.

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Me too.

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Id like to see Michael Bays: "No Country for Old Men" starring Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck.
"And in tonight's performance, the part of Bell will be played by Nicholas Cage."

Also starring Liv Tyler.

burt
11-23-2008, 09:42 AM

You are so cool and smart.....:rolleyes: I can only hope to attain your enlightment and judgemental attitude.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 11:44 AM
You are so cool and smart.....:rolleyes: I can only hope to attain your enlightment and judgemental attitude.
You are calling me out for being "judgmental" when all I said, essentially, was that the sky is appears blue.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 11:48 AM
I didn't like the ending. Nothing you can say or fling will change that.
I think that this is more than fair. But do you see how, and its neither right nor wrong really, you're taking the wrong approach with the movie?

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that this is more than fair. But do you see how, and its neither right nor wrong really, you're taking the wrong approach with the movie?

No I don't think I'm taking the wrong approach. With that in mind I don't think there is a right or wrong approach. I get the ending, the problem is I didn't like it. There's no approach or method that will change that.

Brock
11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
You know what the problem with NCFOM is?

Yes. Nothing.

blaise
11-23-2008, 12:50 PM
What I found annoying was the fact that he was crammed down your throat for you to sympathize with. He was so pure and so good, almost like the conscience of the Man. It was annoying that even at the end of the book, despite this world being a truly horrible place and full of horrible people, that he was still being so naive.

Even after they find the half eaten baby, the kid isnt ****ed up. I thought he would have grown up so to speak at the end. And having the man die at the end only to have the boy rescued, I put down the book and asked "WTF was the point of that"

My biggest gripe was them not staying in the well stocked bomb shelter. why was there such an urgency to get to the coast? why not just stay there in the well hidden bunker until rations start to get low, pack what you can and then leave. Made no sense to me.

The bomb shelter wasn't well hidden. They dug up the ground over it and it was exposed. The only thing hiding it was the mattress the Man put over the hole. The boy wasn't messed up by what he saw because that was his whole existence. When the world was basically ended he was an infant. He had never known anything other than man doing horrorible things to other men.

Thig Lyfe
11-23-2008, 04:05 PM
well, then, i'm pissed about the misdirection

Waaah.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Waaah.

There, there I don't like alot of things its no reason to get worked up over.

burt
11-23-2008, 05:22 PM
You are calling me out for being "judgmental" when all I said, essentially, was that the sky is appears blue, to me.

FYP Because the sky appears to be blue to you, doesn't mean it is blue. And,

Is judgemental as well as condesending.

Midnight_Vulture
11-23-2008, 06:41 PM

WOw:spock::shake:

Perhaps your mind is better suited for something like Transformers. It has explosions and shit like that.

Oh and the Transporter 3 is coming out next weekend. I am sure you will be checking that out as well. Hopefully it wont be too complicated for you to follow.

burt
11-23-2008, 07:59 PM

Perhaps your mind is better suited for something like Transformers. It has explosions and shit like that.

Oh and the Transporter 3 is coming out next weekend. I am sure you will be checking that out as well. Hopefully it wont be too complicated for you to follow.

OH LOOK.....another intelektual........:rolleyes:

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 08:03 PM
FYP Because the sky appears to be blue to you, doesn't mean it is blue.
The sky is not blue. But it appears as blue to each and every human with functioning senses. We could get into an epistemological argument here, but let's just assume a direct realism for the sake of understanding my point.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 08:07 PM

Don't you have some fat ugly chicks to be picking up on your bike?

burt
11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
The sky is not blue. But it appears as blue to each and every human with functioning senses..

Because YOU say so and you are far more superior than those of us that hated the ending. I have my degree, I have worked constantly and consistantly for over 20 years....without being laid off. I am still making a fair indome in a shaky market, with little concern for job concern. Yeah, I am the one without functioning senses.

We could get into an epistemological argument here, but let's just assume a direct realism for the sake of understanding my point.

You, yourself called it art. Art is interpretive. You would be one of those experts that would purchase a 5 year olds finger painting if some one told you it was done by a master. ART IS INTERPRETIVE!

Oh, and just because YOU say it is a direct realism, doesn't mean it is. For years humans thought it was a direct realism that the world was flat. And they probably believed it because someons as smart as you SAID SO.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Because YOU say so and you are far more superior than those of us that hated the ending. I have my degree, I have worked constantly and consistantly for over 20 years....without being laid off. I am still making a fair indome in a shaky market, with little concern for job concern. Yeah, I am the one without functioning senses.

You, yourself called it art. Art is interpretive. You would be one of those experts that would purchase a 5 year olds finger painting if some one told you it was done by a master. ART IS INTERPRETIVE!

Oh, and just because YOU say it is a direct realism, doesn't mean it is. For years humans thought it was a direct realism that the world was flat. And they probably believed it because someons as smart as you SAID SO.
I think its fine that you hate the ending.

I also think that my metaphor is getting twisted all around. My clarification that you quoted about the sky appearing blue to everyone with functioning senses was not tied into the movie. That was literally applied to how humans perceive the sky. If our senses are functioning, we see a clear sky as blue. Period.

Now, into our epistemological discussion: your flat-world example is a good point. I didn't claim that direct realism was necessarily the case, I suggested that we assume it for the sake of my sky metaphor. I don't think, though, that the inability for the race to see past the notion of a flat Earth is connected to the direct realism/indirect realism. If anything, it seems an indictment of Kant's "a priori synthetic," which the principle example is Kant saying humans perceive the world through Euclidean geometry.

Midnight_Vulture
11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Don't you have some fat ugly chicks to be picking up on your bike?

Haha classic. You know you look like a fool in this thread with no taste for the arts so you choose to change the subject and attack me.ROFL

Pathetic. And what fat ugly chicks have I picked up on my bike??? The girls I get are all 8s or better.

Again, the Transporter 3 comes out next weekend. That should be right up your alley (and you could hopefully follow it as well).ROFL

KcMizzou
11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm sure Reaper and Baby Lee are thrilled to have an enlightened, cultured fellow like Midnight Vulture on their side of the discussion. LMAO

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Haha classic. You know you look like a fool in this thread with no taste for the arts so you choose to change the subject and attack me.ROFL

Pathetic. And what fat ugly chicks have I picked up on my bike??? The girls I get are all 8s or better.

Again, the Transporter 3 comes out next weekend. That should be right up your alley (and you could hopefully follow it as well).ROFL

The thought of you calling me a fool is comparable to a retard calling einstein stupid. I suggest you pick on someone less enlightened for I am like every chick "2" or better that you've ever come across. Way out of your league.

Now as far as this movie being "art" I disagree. The artist was the writer. The director job is to interpret the story. Second I have no clue what transporter 1, 2, or 3 is.

Btw, I hope you didn't steal the computer that you're typing on. Karmas a bitch.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm sure Reaper and Baby Lee are thrilled to have an enlightened, cultured fellow like Midnight Vulture on their side of the discussion. LMAO

I brought that up and Baby Lee hit me with his dime store psychology. Prepare to be analyzed.

KcMizzou
11-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I brought that up and Baby Lee hit me with his dime store psychology. Prepare to be analyzed.Meh, I don't mind. People like what they like. I just think it's silly (and arrogant) to judge. The whole "if you didn't like it, you're just not smart enough to "get" it" argument has always annoyed me. Even for things I like... and I did enjoy NCFOM.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Now as far as this movie being "art" I disagree. The artist was the writer. The director job is to interpret the story.
This would be a place where we have a fundamental difference of opinion. You're saying Scorscese's "Raging Bull" wasn't artistic because it was an interpretation of someone else's memoir? Kubrick's "2001" isn't art because it is "interpreting" an Arthur C. Clarke book?

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 08:59 PM
This would be a place where we have a fundamental difference of opinion. You're saying Scorscese's "Raging Bull" wasn't artistic because it was an interpretation of someone else's memoir? Kubrick's "2001" isn't art because it is "interpreting" an Arthur C. Clarke book?

I stand by my statement.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Meh, I don't mind. People like what they like. I just think it's silly (and arrogant) to judge. The whole "if you didn't like it, you're just not smart enough to "get" it" argument has always annoyed me. Even for things I like... and I did enjoy NCFOM.

Well since you liked it you must not be very smart.

I have scientific evidence in that Midnight Vulture did indeed like it.

:D

KcMizzou
11-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Well since you liked it you must not be very smart.

I have scientific evidence in that Midnight Vulture did indeed like it.

:DHeh.

I think I'd have liked it more if I had never heard a thing about it before seeing it.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 09:04 PM
I stand by my statement.
Damn, homey.

OK, then. How about William Shakespeare? He wrote some of the greatest plays of all time. Many of them were inspired by or even directly adapted from other, obscure literary or oral works. Would you contend that Shakespeare's plays aren't art because of their interpretive nature?

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Damn, homey.

OK, then. How about William Shakespeare? He wrote some of the greatest plays of all time. Many of them were inspired by or even directly adapted from other, obscure literary or oral works. Would you contend that Shakespeare's plays aren't art because of their interpretive nature?

No I would say that if that be case it is indeed art, yet not all of it was his.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 09:41 PM
No I would say that if that be case it is indeed art, yet not all of it was his.
If Shakespeare's plays are art (with partial credit going to someone else) then why not directors? They are taking a source material and transporting it into a wildly different medium. The NCFOM film is an altogether different piece of art than the novel, imo, because of the room for artistic expression that directors have.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 09:44 PM
If Shakespeare's plays are art (with partial credit going to someone else) then why not directors? They are taking a source material and transporting it into a wildly different medium. The NCFOM film is an altogether different piece of art than the novel, imo, because of the room for artistic expression that directors have.

So if I read a book and then I tell you about it, is that art? It's a wildly different medium.

burt
11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I think its fine that you hate the ending.

I also think that my metaphor is getting twisted all around. My clarification that you quoted about the sky appearing blue to everyone with functioning senses was not tied into the movie. That was literally applied to how humans perceive the sky. If our senses are functioning, we see a clear sky as blue. Period.

You are a blathering idiot if you believe because YOU percieve something to be blue...it is. You misdirect in your arguments and you are inanly stupid. Perception, in reality is NOT always actually reality. ART IS SUBJECTIVE you asswipe. And are these people with functioning senses functioning because they agree with YOU? I bet you like rap, don't you?.....

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
You are a blathering idiot if you believe because YOU percieve something to be blue...it is. You misdirect in your arguments and you are inanly stupid. Perception, in reality is NOT always actually reality. ART IS SUBJECTIVE you asswipe. And are these people with functioning senses functioning because they agree with YOU? I bet you like rap, don't you?.....

What's wrong with rap?

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Drop the angle on art for a second. I am not making an overlay to art with what I am about to say: Humans, with senses operating normally, perceive a clear sky to be blue. Can you actually disagree with this?

NOW, bringing art back into it: I was obviously being condescending. But you started discussing epistemology with me, and so I continued my line of reasoning a little bit.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
And yeah, I love rap.

burt
11-23-2008, 09:57 PM
So if I read a book and then I tell you about it, is that art? It's a wildly different medium.

Dude, we are arguing a losing battle. Reaper knows it all. If he says it is.....it is. Sense and sensablity have nothing to do with it. In one statement the movie is art. Yet we are not allowed to perceive it as shit. Because Reaper doesn't believe art is INTERPRETIVE! If he likes it, it is good, if we like it...we are stupid. Damn, I will build an alter to the demi-god that is Reaper!:shake:

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 09:59 PM
No.

I don't see the Cohen's merely "telling" the audience about the novel. I see them making artistic choices all over the place. I see them taking the novel and using as a springboard to comment on the nature of the "suspense/action" film genre and on traditional movie narrative. They did not just give a synopsis of the novel, they used the novel and did something extra with it that was conducive to a film-watching experience.

burt
11-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I was obviously being condescending.

No....not you.....and I coulda figured with your lack of reasoning abilities...that you liked rap.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Dude, we are arguing a losing battle. Reaper knows it all. If he says it is.....it is. Sense and sensablity have nothing to do with it. In one statement the movie is art. Yet we are not allowed to perceive it as shit. Because Reaper doesn't believe art is INTERPRETIVE! If he likes it, it is good, if we like it...we are stupid. Damn, I will build an alter to the demi-god that is Reaper!:shake:
You are really giving an incorrect assessment of what I have been arguing.

burt
11-23-2008, 10:01 PM
No.

I don't see ....... I see ........ I see

POINT MADE! FUCKING ELITIST WANNABE. I seee, I see...and I am always right.

burt
11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
You are really giving an incorrect assessment of what I have been arguing.

and you can't follow a single line of logic.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
No....not you.....and I coulda figured with your lack of reasoning abilities...that you liked rap.
lol

bango
11-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Does this mean that there will not be a sequel?

J Diddy
No.

I don't see the Cohen's merely "telling" the audience about the novel. I see them making artistic choices all over the place. I see them taking the novel and using as a springboard to comment on the nature of the "suspense/action" film genre and on traditional movie narrative. They did not just give a synopsis of the novel, they used the novel and did something extra with it that was conducive to a film-watching experience.

So if I give an interpretation of the book in the conversation then it would be art??

bango
Would this be the wrong time to bring up the briefcase in Pulp Fiction?

burt
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Does this mean that there will not be a sequel?

NO THEY ALL FUCKING DIED.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
and you can't follow a single line of logic.
Is there a place where we could perhaps backtrack to a place of less antagonism? I feel as if we are talking about parallel arguments here.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Would this be the wrong time to bring up the briefcase in Pulp Fiction?

feel free

I can change the thread OP so as to include all movies so as we won't be hijacking.

I always envisioned the contents as a gold monkey mask and you?

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
So if I give an interpretation of the book in the conversation then it would be art??
Potentially, I think. Sure. Well, it would cease being a "conversation" at that point as I, the listener, experience this oral art, whatever it may be considered specifically (a story? a dramatic monologue [about a book?])

Boon
11-23-2008, 10:12 PM
I've read all the arguments for and against, and still conclude the ending sucked.

burt
11-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Is there a place where we could perhaps backtrack to a place of less antagonism? I feel as if we are talking about parallel arguments here.

Actually, I was enjoying the antagonism.....that's why I brought up rap, you and my brother, Domer have butted heads over that enough that I thought it would get your goat.

Here are my 3 points of disagreement

1) You call the movie art. Art is interporetive, by nature. Therefore, if we don't like it, we don't like it. It is not a statement of our stupidity.

2) I have a natural distaste of people saying "If you don't agree with me, it must be because you are stupid or you just don't understand " It is arrogant, condescending and rude.

3) Back to the "reality" issue, perception is not always reality. Because YOUR senses tell you something....that doesn't make it true.

burt
11-23-2008, 10:14 PM
I've read all the arguments for and against, and still conclude the ending sucked.

it sucked

bango
11-23-2008, 10:15 PM
feel free

I can change the thread OP so as to include all movies so as we won't be hijacking.

I always envisioned the contents as a gold monkey mask and you?

I was going to go with uranium, but a golden monkey mask is much better.

bango
11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
NO THEY ALL ****ING DIED.

Thanks, I had not had a chance to see it yet.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Actually, I was enjoying the antagonism.....that's why I brought up rap, you and my brother, Domer have butted heads over that enough that I thought it would get your goat.

Here are my 3 points of disagreement

1) You call the movie art. Art is interporetive, by nature. Therefore, if we don't like it, we don't like it. It is not a statement of our stupidity.

2) I have a natural distaste of people saying "If you don't agree with me, it must be because you are stupid or you just don't understand " It is arrogant, condescending and rude.

3) Back to the "reality" issue, perception is not always reality. Because YOUR senses tell you something....that doesn't make it true.
Oh, DomerNKC. Heh. He was exactly who I thought of when you brought up rap in the way that you did. My exact thought was "Oh, fuck me. Another Domer." That's funny.

My responses:

1) Truthfully, I don't disagree with you. At all. My condescending comment that you initially responded to was itself a response to JDiddy saying that my calling the movie "a commentary on the harshness of reality, the lack of a clean and perfect narrative in reality" was just a personal interpretation of the movie. I disagree with that -- I think that thread of commentary is objectively in the movie. Whether it is done well or not is a different matter.

2) That's fair. Outside of a little bit of snarkyness, I feel as if I have stayed above that fray. Meh.

3) That, quite clearly is true in the abstract. BUT I seriously was just talking about the sky. I suspect that your senses will tell you that a clear sky is blue just like mine do. Ask anyone else what color a clear sky is and they will say blue. Now obviously testimony has its own epistemological issues, but whatev.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh, DomerNKC. Heh. He was exactly who I thought of when you brought up rap in the way that you did. My exact thought was "Oh, **** me. Another Domer." That's funny.

My responses:

1) Truthfully, I don't disagree with you. At all. My condescending comment that you initially responded to was itself a response to JDiddy saying that my calling the movie "a commentary on the harshness of reality, the lack of a clean and perfect narrative in reality" was just a personal interpretation of the movie. I disagree with that -- I think that thread of commentary is objectively in the movie. Whether it is done well or not is a different matter.

2) That's fair. Outside of a little bit of snarkyness, I feel as if I have stayed above that fray. Meh.

3) That, quite clearly is true in the abstract. BUT I seriously was just talking about the sky. I suspect that your senses will tell you that a clear sky is blue just like mine do. Ask anyone else what color a clear sky is and they will say blue. Now obviously testimony has its own epistemological issues, but whatev.

I still disagree that a movie is art. A movie is an interpretation of art.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I still disagree that a movie is art. A movie is an interpretation of art.
Is it that no movies are art for you? Or just movies that lack an original screenplay?

burt
11-23-2008, 10:27 PM
. I suspect that your senses will tell you that a clear sky is blue just like mine do. Ask anyone else what color a clear sky is and they will say blue. Now obviously testimony has its own epistemological issues, but whatev.

And we all just might be wrong......thanks for the fun tonight!

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 10:28 PM
And we all just might be wrong......thanks for the fun tonight!
It's so much fun talking epistemology with an indirect realist. ;)

burt
11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
:)It's so much fun talking epistemology with an indirect realist. ;)

wait a fucking minute....aren't we supposed to be arguing?:)

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Is it that no movies are art for you? Or just movies that lack an original screenplay?

pretty much all movies

to me the screenplay is the art

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 10:41 PM
pretty much all movies

That is a perspective that I fundamentally disagree with, but it is interesting to me that you hold it. I don't suspect I can say anything to persuade you out of that line of thought, but that's all right.

The word "interpretation" seems pretty key to this understanding, doesn't it? Should I consider a painting as something different that an "interpretation" of someone or something? Questions like that come to mind.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 10:57 PM
That is a perspective that I fundamentally disagree with, but it is interesting to me that you hold it. I don't suspect I can say anything to persuade you out of that line of thought, but that's all right.

The word "interpretation" seems pretty key to this understanding, doesn't it? Should I consider a painting as something different that an "interpretation" of someone or something? Questions like that come to mind.

No a painting is a creation from scratch. Regardless of the topic.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 11:06 PM
No a painting is a creation from scratch. Regardless of the topic.
I had a thought about screenplays. They specifically state in the text sometimes what the camera should be doing, for example. This indicates that the screenplay is not the complete work of art, no? That, for original screenplays at least, they are a part of a greater whole?

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I had a thought about screenplays. They specifically state in the text sometimes what the camera should be doing, for example. This indicates that the screenplay is not the complete work of art, no? That, for original screenplays at least, they are a part of a greater whole?

I'm thinking if a screenplay is giving direction to a director that is even more of an indication that the directors interpretation isn't art..

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm thinking if a screenplay is giving direction to a director that is even more of an indication that the directors interpretation isn't art..
I see that, and thought about it when posting the question. But I feel as if you dodged the question. Does that speak to the "incompleteness," if any, of the screenplay? Or, put another way, why was the original screenplay conceived as a screenplay and not a stage play or a novel?

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I see that, and thought about it when posting the question. But I feel as if you dodged the question. Does that speak to the "incompleteness," if any, of the screenplay? Or, put another way, why was the original screenplay conceived as a screenplay and not a stage play or a novel?

Difference of intended medium.

Reaper16
11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Difference of intended medium.
I see. Thx.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 07:02 AM
I stand by my statement.

Wow. As an artist and filmmaker, I'm genuinely offended. Not to mention surprised by this statement.

Baby Lee
11-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Wow. As an artist and filmmaker, I'm genuinely offended. Not to mention surprised by this statement.

Don't start with your dimestore psychology!!!

blaise
11-24-2008, 08:21 AM
I've written a couple of things that have been professionally produced. Nothing big, in fact very small, but for paying audiences, and I've got to say that I think what the director and actors do is most definitely art.
You could have the same script done by three different directors and all three would be different.
I've got to tell you, if you don't think what a director does can be art, that's pretty asinine.

As far as the people saying it's judgemental to say others didn't "get" the ending- No one started this thread by saying, "You're Stupid if You Don't Get the Ending." The thread invited the discussion. The thread said the ending sucked as its premise. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to defend the ending, if they liked it, because the thread introduced the topic.

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 08:29 AM

Didn't intend to offend anyone, it's just my view. I'm sure what you do is quite difficult and let me expand my point. I can see how you're creating something, but just have never felt it to be considered art.

Don't start with your dimestore psychology!!!

What he said was a statement based on his thoughts. What did is say: If you don't like this ending then so and so must be wrong with you.

His statement is a response, yours is a diagnosis. Big difference.

burt
11-24-2008, 08:31 AM
As far as the people saying it's judgemental to say others didn't "get" the ending- No one started this thread by saying, "You're Stupid if You Don't Get the Ending." The thread invited the discussion. The thread said the ending sucked as its premise. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to defend the ending, if they liked it, because the thread introduced the topic.

The thread wasn't started that way, but a few have indicated that if you didn't like the ending you must be a non function idiot. Being pompous and condiscending is not likely to garner any ones support.

Oh, and Midnight Vulture liked the ending.....so it must suck.

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
I've written a couple of things that have been professionally produced. Nothing big, in fact very small, but for paying audiences, and I've got to say that I think what the director and actors do is most definitely art.
You could have the same script done by three different directors and all three would be different.
I've got to tell you, if you don't think what a director does can be art, that's pretty asinine.

Then by all means, defend the ending. Someone saying I'm stupid because I didn't like the ending isn't defending the ending. It's trying to strip away credibility from me in hopes that my statement, still standing, will be less credible because it was made by a less credible person.

I didn't intend for my statement to be so cookie cutter cut and dry. I think some of what a director does can be considered art. I think that most of the artistic context of a movie goes to the writer though.

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 08:35 AM
The thread wasn't started that way, but a few have indicated that if you didn't like the ending you must be a non function idiot. Being pompous and condiscending is not likely to garner any ones support.

prepare to be dime store analyzed.........

burt
11-24-2008, 08:44 AM
prepare to be dime store analyzed.........

There is not one dime store analyzer on this board that could handle my mental problems!

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 08:47 AM
There is not one dime store analyzer on this board that could handle my mental problems!

I would include anyone else's problems as well.

burt
11-24-2008, 08:51 AM
I would include anyone else's problems as well.

No...no...see there, you are wrong. They can help, IF you have....decent cognitive function'sROFL

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Then by all means, defend the ending. Someone saying I'm stupid because I didn't like the ending isn't defending the ending. It's trying to strip away credibility from me in hopes that my statement, still standing, will be less credible because it was made by a less credible person.

I didn't intend for my statement to be so cookie cutter cut and dry. I think some of what a director does can be considered art. I think that most of the artistic context of a movie goes to the writer though.

As someone who has directed a film from a script, both are art. The writer's "suggestions" for shots - if included at all - are not always taken. They're suggestions for the screenwriter's vision. They are not always the same.

But a director often has control over the shots, lighting, casting, music... it's all his job, which is why he gets such a major credit for creating the film. The director also helps each actor in his vision, oftentimes garnering nuances to a performance that another director could not have done.

I'll give you one example, that I think personifies this argument: Alfred Hitchcock's version of Psycho vs. Gus Van Sant's version of Psycho.

Van Sant kept true to Hitchcock's vision, creating a shot-for-shot remake of Hitchcock's film, yet Hitch's version is universally accepted as a great piece of film, while Van Sant's work is seen as total crap.

The same can be said for countless remakes where the same script is used yet different results are seen on film, but the Psycho example, I think, is the best. Not only was the script the same, but so were the shots, and even the original Bernard Hermann score was adapted by Danny Elfman for the remake.

blaise
11-24-2008, 08:56 AM

Yes, I can see where someone would think that a thread starting with 'Stupiest ****ing Ending Ever' would incite intellectual discourse. It was such a well thought out argument.

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Yes, I can see where someone would think that a thread starting with 'Stupiest ****ing Ending Ever' would incite intellectual discourse. It was such a well thought out argument.

With all due respect that was my opinion. Now if the thread had opened with 'Stupidest fucking ending ever and if you don't agree then you're a moron' your point would be valid.

That being said, I didn't post it as an argument. I got more than I ever wanted out of this thread. Learned a little, confirmed a little, and rethought a few things.

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
As someone who has directed a film from a script, both are art. The writer's "suggestions" for shots - if included at all - are not always taken. They're suggestions for the screenwriter's vision. They are not always the same.

But a director often has control over the shots, lighting, casting, music... it's all his job, which is why he gets such a major credit for creating the film. The director also helps each actor in his vision, oftentimes garnering nuances to a performance that another director could not have done.

I'll give you one example, that I think personifies this argument: Alfred Hitchcock's version of Psycho vs. Gus Van Sant's version of Psycho.

Van Sant kept true to Hitchcock's vision, creating a shot-for-shot remake of Hitchcock's film, yet Hitch's version is universally accepted as a great piece of film, while Van Sant's work is seen as total crap.

The same can be said for countless remakes where the same script is used yet different results are seen on film, but the Psycho example, I think, is the best. Not only was the script the same, but so were the shots, and even the original Bernard Hermann score was adapted by Danny Elfman for the remake.

Okay, I can see your point.

Reaper16
11-24-2008, 09:26 AM
No...no...see there, you are wrong. They can help, IF you have....decent cognitive function'sROFL
Hey now. We were in a good spot last night. That is NOT what I said, sir. :shake: It was hyperbole, but I said that anyone with decent cognitive function would see that the movie, by denying viewer's a satisfying-in-the-typical-way ending, is making a comment on the harshness of reality and also a comment on the nature of movie narrative. What I said made no claim whatsoever that anyone with decent cognitive function had to "like" or "Understand" the ending.

Frazod
11-24-2008, 09:34 AM

FUCK THAT ENDING.

Funny how none of the people who continue to defend this piece of crap like it was their sister's honor has ever responded to any of these points.

Was Coppola a sell-out for bringing The Godfather to sensible conclusion? Was Unforgiven not art? Should I toss my Seven DVD in the trash because Fincher dared to actually include all seven deadly sins?

I guess we should just have a random ending generator for movies, and only then will they be worth watching.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Funny how none of the people who continue to defend this piece of crap like it was their sister's honor has ever responded to any of these points.

Was Coppola a sell-out for bringing The Godfather to sensible conclusion? Was Unforgiven not art? Should I toss my Seven DVD in the trash because Fincher dared to actually include all seven deadly sins?

I guess we should just have a random ending generator for movies, and only then will they be worth watching.

Frankly, fraz, it would depend on how it was done. You can't compare such things when we don't know how it would have been handled.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending, but I don't really have much of a problem with nihilism.

Frazod
11-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Frankly, fraz, it would depend on how it was done. You can't compare such things when we don't know how it would have been handled.

So if Seven had ended with Spacey screaming over and over, WHERE'S MY PACKAGE?????, you wouldn't have been sitting in the audience wondering "What the hell is this?" This is basically the ending the Coens gave us. Horseshit. Don't poke me in the eye and tell me its art.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 10:02 AM
So if Seven had ended with Spacey screaming over and over, WHERE'S MY PACKAGE?????, you wouldn't have been sitting in the audience wondering "What the hell is this?" This is basically the ending the Coens gave us. Horseshit. Don't poke me in the eye and tell me its art.

If it was handled in that manner, yes. To say that equates to the ending in question is utterly ridiculous, and I'm fairly certain you know that.

Frazod
11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
If it was handled in that manner, yes. To say that equates to the ending in question is utterly ridiculous, and I'm fairly certain you know that.

Wrong. The movie leads up to a climax that never happens, and then throws in some random act at the end for shits and grins. As I have said before, if I want to see pointless random crap I'll look out the window.

blaise
11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Are you talking about the conclusion to the Godfather movie or the conclusion of the trilogy, because the Godfather 3 was an abortion.

burt
11-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Hey now. We were in a good spot last night. That is NOT what I said, sir. :shake: It was hyperbole, but I said that anyone with decent cognitive function would see that the movie, by denying viewer's a satisfying-in-the-typical-way ending, is making a comment on the harshness of reality and also a comment on the nature of movie narrative. What I said made no claim whatsoever that anyone with decent cognitive function had to "like" or "Understand" the ending.

Please take note of the ........ROFL

Frazod
11-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Are you talking about the conclusion to the Godfather movie or the conclusion of the trilogy, because the Godfather 3 was an abortion.

No mention of Part 3 from me. Although I was happy when they killed Sofia Coppola. If they'd shot her earlier in the film, it wouldn't have sucked nearly as much as it did.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Wrong. The movie leads up to a climax that never happens, and then throws in some random act at the end for shits and grins. As I have said before, if I want to see pointless random crap I'll look out the window.

Eh. I'm not going to get into this argument. Your point has been made and argued. I disagree. I think the ending to NCFOM was pitch perfect.

But I'm good with films that make me think and emote. I'm a huge fan of films that piss me off or make me cry. I don't watch movies as a form of escapism. Sometimes that's all it's meant to be, other times it's meant to be something more. Those are the films that made me want to make my own.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 10:18 AM

I still contend the only reason Godfather 3 is regarded badly is because it was the third part of an historic story.

By itself, The Godfather 3 is not a bad film. In comparison to G1 and G2, it's an abortion.

Brock
11-24-2008, 10:25 AM
I still contend the only reason Godfather 3 is regarded badly is because it was the third part of an historic story.

By itself, The Godfather 3 is not a bad film. In comparison to G1 and G2, it's an abortion.

Uh....separate discussion, but 3 was a completely disjointed film that looks like it was thrown together.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Uh....separate discussion, but 3 was a completely disjointed film that looks like it was thrown together.

Just responding to blaise. And I disagree. I understand the comment when you compare 3 to the other two.

Frazod
11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Eh. I'm not going to get into this argument. Your point has been made and argued. I disagree. I think the ending to NCFOM was pitch perfect.

But I'm good with films that make me think and emote. I'm a huge fan of films that piss me off or make me cry. I don't watch movies as a form of escapism. Sometimes that's all it's meant to be, other times it's meant to be something more. Those are the films that made me want to make my own.

I have no trouble with "thinking" or "emoting" (who the fuck uses that word?) at the movies. I don't need a happy ending. A good tragedy is fine by me. I loved the deeply fucked-up ending of The Mist, which differed greatly from the end of the short story. But I want the ending of a movie to FUCKING MAKE SENSE. Shouldn't be too much to ask.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 10:44 AM
I have no trouble with "thinking" or "emoting" (who the **** uses that word?) at the movies. I don't need a happy ending. A good tragedy is fine by me. I loved the deeply ****ed-up ending of The Mist, which differed greatly from the end of the short story. But I want the ending of a movie to ****ING MAKE SENSE. Shouldn't be too much to ask.

I thought the ending to NCFOM did make sense. In fact, in the context of the film, I think it makes perfect sense, and frankly I think I'd have been disappointed if it ended any differently.

And I have no idea who uses the word emote. I don't think I wrote that sentence. :D

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 11:03 AM
For future "spoiler" posts, just FYI there is a spoiler tag. Use ["spoiler"]["/spoiler"] without the quotes to begin and end your spoiler.

Your post when then have been:

Okay, the ending to The Mist was retarded. Spoilers if you've never seen it:
They head out and apparently never think about getting more gas until it runs out. Then they take all of two minutes to decide to shoot themselves, including a decision to shoot your son.
"Well, that's it I guess. Let's shoot ourselves."
The "hero" was supposedly pragmatic and thinking of his and his son's survival all the way through. Why didn't he try and get gas somewhere before he ran out? What was his plan? He went across ths parking lot to get medical supplies but he couldn't try and get gas? And why not wait at least a day to see if you could get rescued? You were seemingly safe in the car for the time being. And they never even tried to search the radio for messages.
If it was me I would have tried to get gas, or convince the old man to try and get gas, or waited until I was on the brink of starvation before I shot my kid dead.
It was so misguided and stupid and nonsensical. That ending was 1,000 more retarded than NCFOM.

Frazod
11-24-2008, 11:10 AM
LMAO

The ending of No Country For Old Men was magnificent and visionary, but the end of The Mist was shit?

I just.... damn, I can't even respond to that.

Deberg_1990
11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
The MIST is one of the best pure horror flicks ive seen in a long time.

The ending was classic.

blaise
11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes, The Mist is a masterpiece. The end made total sense. It wasn't at all sloppily done and not consistent with prior actions or character development up to that point.

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey fuggers I didn't see no mist yet. Cover your spoilers up bastards.

blaise
11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, sorry about that.

I just deleted it so no one else will get that wonderful ending spoiled.

Deberg_1990
11-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes, The Mist is a masterpiece. The end made total sense. It wasn't at all sloppily done and not consistent with prior actions or character development up to that point.

I agree. Thats what made that flick so good was the characters.

BTW, Darabont changed the ending from the book. Something the Coens should have done.

blaise
11-24-2008, 11:23 AM
I read the book as well. My point is that if the character of the father was consistent he wouldn't have done what he did so hastily. He would have explored other solutions before he had to and he would have waited. It didn't make sense.

Frazod
11-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I read the book as well. My point is that if the character of the father was consistent he wouldn't have done what he did so hastily. He would have explored other solutions before he had to and he would have waited. It didn't make sense.

The decision wasn't hasty at all. They had been driving around in the mist (slowly, one would assume, since they were driving in mist and couldn't see) long enough to completely run out of gas (we're talking hours here, not minutes). They obviously encountered no other survivors. EVERYBODY who ventured outside (as far as they knew) was killed in a nasty way, and the unlucky ones were killed in a nasty way SLOWLY. There was no hope.

Demonpenz
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
I wish there was some shootout or something in the end. It was a waste of money to have a ending like that. My money should buy me some shootouts or a large explosion at the end.

patteeu
11-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Maybe it's because they were idiotic questions that ignore the fact that NCFOM's purpose was served by the ending it had whereas the endings you propose aren't related to the concept of those movies? I thought you claimed to have understood the NCFOM ending but when you ask questions like this and talk about random ending generators, it gives me the impression that you didn't. :shrug:

Baby Lee
11-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I have no trouble with "thinking" or "emoting" (who the **** uses that word?) at the movies. I don't need a happy ending. A good tragedy is fine by me. I loved the deeply ****ed-up ending of The Mist, which differed greatly from the end of the short story. But I want the ending of a movie to ****ING MAKE SENSE. Shouldn't be too much to ask.

Just so I understand you. You completely understand the meaning of the ending and the rationale underlying it, but it's also completely random shit that doesn't make any sense at all.

Frazod
11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Maybe it's because they were idiotic questions that ignore the fact that NCFOM's purpose was served by the ending it had whereas the endings you propose aren't related to the concept of those movies? I thought you claimed to have understood the NCFOM ending but when you ask questions like this and talk about random ending generators, it gives me the impression that you didn't. :shrug:

Funny to see you crawling in bed with the arty types. Your jackboot friends will not be pleased. Although I'm not surprised to see you hop a ride on the makes-me-feel-superior train. :whackit:

The whole point could have been made without a disjointed, shit ending. I don't know how many more ways that can be said.

burt
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Funny to see you crawling in bed with the arty types. Your jackboot friends will not be pleased. Although I'm not surprised to see you hop a ride on the makes-me-feel-superior train. :whackit:

The whole point could have been made without a disjointed, shit ending. I don't know how many more ways that can be said.

Geez Frazod....YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

ROFL

Baby Lee
11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
What he said was a statement based on his thoughts. What did is say: If you don't like this ending then so and so must be wrong with you.

His statement is a response, yours is a diagnosis. Big difference.

I think you misread my point. First off it wasn't you [J Diddy] it was you [the pronoun to indicate the viewer]. Second it wasn't that you have to look at the ending a certain way or something's wrong with you, it's that the reaction to the ending is part of the ending. Each of us end up examining why it's so dispiriting to not get that big showdown we were expecting. This leads to the realization that that expectation isn't a natural one, or instinctual, it's learned. Then the gravity of the actual ending strikes you, we don't get to be heroes, evil doesn't get its due, the ersazt hero gets taken out by yahoos and evil plunders on.

It's a riff on Tyler Durden "We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Just so I understand you. You completely understand the meaning of the ending and the rationale underlying it, but it's also completely random shit that doesn't make any sense at all.

what does the car crash have to do with anything?

Baby Lee
11-24-2008, 12:57 PM
what does the car crash have to do with anything?
It's part of the whole "you can't see what's coming" theme voiced by the chick at the motel. Even Chigurh is subject to fate, the difference is his response, to assess what's immediately needed to survive and plod on inexorably. Further, it show that, while Chigurh fancies himself as fate embodied, he has no choice but to impose the consequences of his coin tosses, real fate is still out there meting out it's own consequences.

ModSocks
11-24-2008, 01:15 PM
The movie wasn't entertaining, i don't care what the message was; it was boring. The characters were interesting, and i waited the whole time for some kick ass shootouts but nothing ever happened. I waste of characters. For me, this was the most disappointing movie of the year by far. The whispering dialogue damn near put me to sleep. For a Second there, i thought i was watching the notebook because of all the old people and slow pace.

Brock
11-24-2008, 01:17 PM
The only rolleyes moment I had with the entire movie was dragging a satchel full of money back home without checking it over very closely.

Midnight_Vulture
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
:spock:pretty much all movies

Just when I thought you couldnt get ANY dumber...you type THIS.ROFL

Seriously, its all good you didnt like the ending (or "get" the ending for that matter).
I wouldnt expect a simpleton Misery fan to understand film like this.

The FACT that it won a bunch of Oscars assures it is a brillant film and highly praised by critics everywhere. I will take their opinions over yours anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Midnight_Vulture
11-24-2008, 05:05 PM
The movie wasn't entertaining, i don't care what the message was; it was boring. The characters were interesting, and i waited the whole time for some kick ass shootouts but nothing ever happened. I waste of characters. For me, this was the most disappointing movie of the year by far. The whispering dialogue damn near put me to sleep. For a Second there, i thought i was watching the notebook because of all the old people and slow pace.

I bet you cant wait til the Punisher comes out huh?

And there was a "kickass" shootout in it. Did you sleep thru the hotel scene where Brolin gets injured???

Midnight_Vulture
11-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I wish there was some shootout or something in the end. It was a waste of money to have a ending like that. My money should buy me some shootouts or a large explosion at the end.

Again, go see the Transporter 3 this coming weekend. That should be more on your "level".

Reaper16
11-24-2008, 05:08 PM

The FACT that it won a bunch of Oscars assures it is a brillant film and highly praised by critics everywhere. I will take their opinions over yours anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.
Hey now, I'm an MU fan who loved the film.

Also, while we are in agreement in this thread, I wouldn't say that Oscars actually "assure the brilliance" of a film. The Oscar voters make plenty of mistakes/wrong decisions with their awards.

burt
11-24-2008, 05:21 PM
:spock:

Seriously, its all good you didnt like the ending (or "get" the ending for that matter).

Yeah....about that. Here are a few gems that won an Oscar....

Abyss, The (1989) - 1/4
Accountant, The (2001) - 1/1
Accused, The (1988) - 1/1
Adaptation. (2002) - 1/4
Affliction (1998) - 1/2
Airport (1970) - 1/10
Aladdin (1992) - 2/5
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974) - 1/3
Alien (1979) - 1/2
Aliens (1986) - 2/7
All About My Mother (aka Todo sobre mi madre, 1999) - 1/1
All That Jazz (1979) - 4/9
Amadeus (1984) - 8/11, Best Picture
American Werewolf in London, An (1981) - 1/1
Anderson Platoon, The (aka La Section Anderson, 1967) - 1/1
Angel and Big Joe (1975) - 1/1
Annie Get Your Gun (1950) - 1/4
Annie Hall (1977) - 4/5, Best Picture
Aquatic House Party (1949) - 1/1
Around the World in 80 Days (1956) - 5/8, Best Picture
Arthur (1981) - 2/4
Babe (1995) - 1/7

and that is just some "A"s and one B... Yep those Oscar people know a great movie.....:rolleyes:

Baby Lee
11-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Adaptation. (2002) - 1/4
Amadeus (1984) - 8/11, Best Picture
Annie Hall (1977) - 4/5, Best Picture

Wait a gat damn minnit!!!
If you're gonna start blathering ANYTHING about these being less than stellar movies, things JUST GOT REAL!!!

Adept Havelock
11-24-2008, 05:52 PM
NCFOM? I loved it. It was much better than CATS. I'm going to see it again and again.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Dude. You're not helping (and take note, we're arguing the same side).

You were much better on universal ignore.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Wait a gat damn minnit!!!
If you're gonna start blathering ANYTHING about these being less than stellar movies, things JUST GOT REAL!!!

Agreed. I'd add:

Alien (1979) - 1/2
Aliens (1986) - 2/7

Baby Lee
11-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Agreed. I'd add:

Alien (1979) - 1/2
Aliens (1986) - 2/7

I enjoy sci-fi, and I enjoyed these two incarnations of the Aliens series, but they were popcorn movies.

Annie Hall, Adaptation and Amadeus are timeless.

He could've made his point by observing that 'Shakespeare in Love' was just Hollywood spooging themselves over their own in-jokes.

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 06:09 PM

UM I don't like missouri. I like Penn State. I don't care whit critics say or Oscars they won. I wasn't offering you my opinion. Quite to the contrary I wouldn't walk across the street to offer you my piss to put you out if you were on fire.

Furthermore, your opinion is of such little consequence that as I type this I'm feeling ashamed of myself because I felt compelled to respond your blathering.

burt
11-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I enjoy sci-fi, and I enjoyed these two incarnations of the Aliens series, but they were popcorn movies.

Annie Hall, Adaptation and Amadeus are timeless.

He could've made his point by observing that 'Shakespeare in Love' was just Hollywood spooging themselves over their own in-jokes.

I didn't mean to offend.....I actually enjoyed some of the movies that I mentioned....but wouldn't consider them GREAT. Obviously I should edit better. But because they earned an Oscar or two, Midnight Douche thinks thae are great. Oh shit, I just used the phrase....Midnight Douche thinks.....sorry.

ModSocks
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
I bet you cant wait til the Punisher comes out huh?

And there was a "kickass" shootout in it. Did you sleep thru the hotel scene where Brolin gets injured???

Oh great, you're just another Claythan. You're just another wannabe movie snob that wants to try to look smart by calling everyone else ignorant because the movie, in truth, was fucking boring. And I know, I know, you're going to take that tired, worn out "you're not smart enough to get it" angle. The goal of a movie should be to entertain, and IMO, it didn't

blaise
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
The decision wasn't hasty at all. They had been driving around in the mist (slowly, one would assume, since they were driving in mist and couldn't see) long enough to completely run out of gas (we're talking hours here, not minutes). They obviously encountered no other survivors. EVERYBODY who ventured outside (as far as they knew) was killed in a nasty way, and the unlucky ones were killed in a nasty way SLOWLY. There was no hope.

Even it was a few hours that was still hasty when you consider what he did.
And no, not everyone ended up with that fate. The father himself ventured out and back. Why not wait and see if what ended up happening, ended up happening? Why not try the radio?
It was retarded.

Sure-Oz
11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey now, I'm an MU fan who loved the film.

Also, while we are in agreement in this thread, I wouldn't say that Oscars actually "assure the brilliance" of a film. The Oscar voters make plenty of mistakes/wrong decisions with their awards.

Do you really give a shit what he thinks?

Sure-Oz
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I thought it was a badass movie, alot of people didnt like it cause of the way it ended, i thought it was great

Reaper16
11-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Do you really give a shit what he thinks?
He's on an amazing streak of being only-partially-a-jagbag. I wanted to see if it could continue.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Oh great, you're just another Claythan. You're just another wannabe movie snob that wants to try to look smart by calling everyone else ignorant because the movie, in truth, was ****ing boring. And I know, I know, you're going to take that tired, worn out "you're not smart enough to get it" angle. The goal of a movie should be to entertain, and IMO, it didn't

OK, first I want you to recognize I have not once said in this thread that anyone was right or wrong in their assertions. Just that I disagree.

That said, to say "the goal of a movie should be to entertain" ... that is incorrect.

Movies are for entertainment... and can be so much more.

The art of film (or any art for that matter) can be, and absolutely should be whenever it can, more, even a catalyst for change.

Just because all YOU want out of a movie is to be entertained is not to say that is all the artists involved in making it wanted.

If you don't like "art films" then don't see them. They weren't made for you (the universal you - those who don't like them).

The Coens, like it or not, are artists. Their films speak more than just on the surface.

KcMizzou
11-24-2008, 08:41 PM
He's on an amazing streak of being only-partially-a-jagbag. I wanted to see if it could continue.I suspect it depends on the topic at hand.

J Diddy
11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
OK, first I want you to recognize I have not once said in this thread that anyone was right or wrong in their assertions. Just that I disagree.

That said, to say "the goal of a movie should be to entertain" ... that is incorrect.

Movies are for entertainment... and can be so much more.

The art of film (or any art for that matter) can be, and absolutely should be whenever it can, more, even a catalyst for change.

Just because all YOU want out of a movie is to be entertained is not to say that is all the artists involved in making it wanted.

If you don't like "art films" then don't see them. They weren't made for you (the universal you - those who don't like them).

The Coens, like it or not, are artists. Their films speak more than just on the surface.

FMB,

You know how you said certain films are for certain people. Certain posts are for certain people. For instance when I reply to Midnight Douche's posts I have to dumb it down quite substantially. A reply to that dipshit's dribble should not be universally applied to all posters.

KcMizzou
11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
FMB,

You know how you said certain films are for certain people. Certain posts are for certain people. For instance when I reply to Midnight Douche's posts I have to dumb it down quite substantially. A reply to that dipshit's dribble should not be universally applied to all posters.Indeed. Say it's an MU/KU thread... I may get pretty nasty with a guy like KC_Connection... but it isn't meant toward a guy like Bearcat (just because they're on the same side of the argument).

Collateral damage.

Frazod
11-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Even it was a few hours that was still hasty when you consider what he did.
And no, not everyone ended up with that fate. The father himself ventured out and back. Why not wait and see if what ended up happening, ended up happening? Why not try the radio?
It was retarded.

Everybody except for the four other people in car died (as far as he knew). His wife was dead. The people in the grocery store had gone fucktard religious crazy. Just because you know, having seen the movie, that help was around the corner, doesn't change that all of those people felt they were completely fucked.

Frazod
11-25-2008, 12:45 AM
I love fucktards who let others think for them.

The cool kids, fashion magazines and the odd beltless gangbangers in lockup teach them how to dress.

MTV teaches them what music to like and how they should look at the world.

TV commercials during football games teach them what beers are really good and more importantly, REALLY COLD, because temperature's important when your beer is 99% water and 1% bronco piss.

And critics pick their movies. And Academy Award voters (the same bought-off douchebags who picked Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan for best picture) define what the REALLY good movies are.

Because really, when somebody's devoting all his time to stealing, whoring and being an internet troll, who could expect him to be bothered with thinking for himself?

Reaper16
11-25-2008, 01:42 AM
I love fucktards who let others think for them.

The cool kids, fashion magazines and the odd beltless gangbangers in lockup teach them how to dress.

TV commercials during football games teach them what beers are really good and more importantly, REALLY COLD, because temperature's important when your beer is 99% water and 1% bronco piss.

And critics pick their movies. And Academy Award voters (the same bought-off douchebags who picked Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan for best picture) define what the REALLY good movies are.

Because really, when somebody's devoting all his time to stealing, whoring and being an internet troll, who could expect him to be bothered with thinking for himself?

Succinctly put.

Reaper16
11-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Also, I liked the ending of "The Mist." Moreover, I liked "The Mist," despite generally not giving a fuck about the horror genre.

patteeu
11-25-2008, 06:53 AM
I love ****tards who let others think for them.

You remind me of Homer Simpson. He doesn't let anyone do his "thinking" for him either.

Fire Me Boy!
11-25-2008, 07:35 AM

I'm only picking on the quoted part. I never thought the award voters were bought off.

I think the truth (IMO) is that the third-best picture won. Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful split the vote. Unfortunately, Shakespeare in Love came in with more votes than the others individually and stole the Oscar.

It's pretty widely regarded that Shakespeare was, unfortunately, not as good as either SPR and LiB.

Frazod
11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
You remind me of Homer Simpson. He doesn't let anyone do his "thinking" for him either.

Aw, more unkind words from the King of the Chickenhawks. :deevee:

patteeu
11-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Aw, more unkind words from the King of the Chickenhawks. :deevee:

:LOL: Your whiny neg rep suggests I've gotten under your skin, Homer. It's a shame you're so fragile.