PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Hollywood actors guild to seek strike

oaklandhater
11-22-2008, 11:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081122/ap_en_mo/hollywood_labor;_ylt=AkYVj8aG4et4oaDCRPE39OUwFxkF

LOS ANGELES – The Screen Actors Guild said Saturday it will ask its members to authorize a strike after its first contract talks in four months with Hollywood studios failed despite the help of a federal mediator.

The guild said it adjourned talks with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers shortly before 1 a.m. after two marathon sessions with federal mediator Juan Carlos Gonzalez.

SAG, representing more than 120,000 actors in movies, television and other media, said in a statement that it will launch a "full-scale education campaign in support of a strike authorization."

Talks broke down after the studios sought the right to create productions for new media, such as the Internet, using nonunion actors and without paying residuals, said Doug Allen, SAG national executive director and chief negotiator.

Residuals are payments to actors that are made every time a production airs, such as TV reruns. Many SAG members rely on residuals for more than half of their income, Allen said.

"They're asking us to bless a system we believe would be the beginning of the end of residuals and that's a very scary thought for working actors," he said.

The producers' alliance condemned the SAG decision and said it remains the only major Hollywood guild without a labor deal this year.

"Now, SAG is bizarrely asking its members to bail out the failed negotiating strategy with a strike vote — at a time of historic economic crisis," a producers' statement said. "The tone-deafness of SAG is stunning."

SAG's national board has already authorized its negotiating committee to call for a strike authorization vote if mediation failed. The vote would take more than a month and require more than 75 percent approval to pass.

SAG wants union coverage for all Internet-only productions regardless of budget and residual payments for Internet productions replayed online, as well as continued actor protections during work stoppages.

But the AMPTP said it was untenable for SAG to demand a better deal than what writers, directors and another actors union accepted earlier in the year, especially now that the economy has worsened.

Earlier this week, the producers' group said it had reached its sixth labor deal this year, a tentative agreement on a three-year contract with the local branches of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts, accounting for 35,000 workers.

The stagehands alliance accepted Internet provisions that were modeled on agreements with other unions, the producers group said.

Actors in prime-time television shows and movies have been working under the terms of a contract that expired June 30, with the hope of avoiding a repeat of the 100-day writers strike which shut down production of dozens of TV shows and cost the Los Angeles area economy an estimated $2.5 billion.

If I lose tv again..........

Buehler445
11-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Wait wait wait.....I'm a little toasted, so let me get this straight. The economy is ass. Complete ass. And these people choose NOW to demand more money? Fuck them the fuckedy fuck up.

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Wait wait wait.....I'm a little toasted, so let me get this straight. The economy is ass. Complete ass. And these people choose NOW to demand more money? **** them the ****edy **** up.

The stupid ##$%ing Writers started all this shit.

Buehler445
11-23-2008, 12:16 AM

So my drunken analysis is spot on?

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 12:22 AM
So my drunken analysis is spot on?

Sadly Yes!

11-23-2008, 12:37 AM
They said last year this would happen.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 01:56 AM
You guys are dumbfucks.

It's NOT about wanting "more money".

It's about wanting a bigger share of the pie, i.e., internet and DVD revenue.

JFC.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 01:58 AM

I used to think you were just annoying.

Now I'm convinced you're a typical DUMBFUCK, who doesn't know jackshit about jackshit.

You've proven it time and time again, no matter the subject.

Unreal. :rolleyes:

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 02:02 AM

Now I'm convinced you're a typical DUMB****, who doesn't know jackshit about jackshit.

Dang, Dane you are angry.

Need a moment?

:D

11-23-2008, 02:05 AM

Now I'm convinced you're a typical DUMB****, who doesn't know jackshit about jackshit.

Unreal. :rolleyes:Quite a few don't see it from a business standpoint.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 02:10 AM
Dang, Dane you are angry.

Need a moment?

:D

I guess so.

Sadly, I thought it was BWillie007, judging by his avatar,

You dumbasses need to be a little more original.

J Diddy
11-23-2008, 02:12 AM
I guess so.

dane, you calling me a dumbass?

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 02:14 AM
dane, you calling me a dumbass?

ROFL

No, it's my bad.

I quoted you but what I really meant to do is indict the less original.

I admit, the execution wasn't soo good.

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Quite a few don't see it from a business standpoint.

No I see it has loseing my TV the writers the actors and the Studios are all greedy assholes who dont give a shit about the fans none is more just then the other.

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 04:39 AM

Well im Sorry I didnt know you were a Active member of SAG.

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 04:39 AM
I guess so.

I HAD IT FRIST GODAMM dogkilling lover took it from me

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 05:20 AM

unless their striking for a universal wage increase these ***** are just moaning millionaires.......

and As for the $5,000.00/year actors; move out of your parents basement and quadruple your income with a nice rewarding job at McDonald's. Don't even try and tell me that the extra $2.86/year you'll get from the online streams is just what they been waiting for.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 10:44 AM
unless their striking for a universal wage increase these ***** are just moaning millionaires.......

and As for the $5,000.00/year actors; move out of your parents basement and quadruple your income with a nice rewarding job at McDonald's. Don't even try and tell me that the extra $2.86/year you'll get from the online streams is just what they been waiting for.

Um, clearly, you do not understand the issues.

And sure, everyone that has talent and drive and works to be working actor or actress should quit and get a job at McDonalds.

JFC.

:shake:

BigMeatballDave
11-23-2008, 05:42 PM
The stupid ##$%ing Writers started all this shit.Whatever. Compared to actors, Writers are grossly underpaid. I fully supported the writers last year. And I'm not a union guy.

Thig Lyfe
11-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I was 100% behind the writers strike.

Not so hot on this one, at least not now. Terrible timing.

morphius
11-23-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't have an issue with actors wanting to get some of the other pieces of the pie, I'm just annoyed that they can't seem to get it right in the contracts to list all media and delivery methods, instead of overly specific crap.

StcChief
11-23-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't have an issue with actors wanting to get some of the other pieces of the pie, I'm just annoyed that they can't seem to get it right in the contracts to list all media and delivery methods, instead of overly specific crap.yeah. it's not like Internet and new media appeared out of no where...

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 06:19 PM
yeah. it's not like Internet and new media appeared out of no where...

But at the time of the last contract, no one knew that the Networks would begin broadcasting full episodes and teasers on the internet.

Mr. Plow
11-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Is filming for Lost & 24 done....that's all I care about.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Is filming for Lost & 24 done....that's all I care about.

No and no.

Mr. Plow
11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
No and no.

Damnit. Get this thing done!

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Damnit. Get this thing done!

The first four episodes of "24" had been re-written and filmed again in every season. The writers and producers had progressed the show far enough out of the original storyline and made this necessary.

They "say" that won't happen this year but time will tell.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Hope this gets resolved quickly.

11-23-2008, 07:44 PM
No and no.DAMNIT

StcChief
11-23-2008, 07:59 PM
But at the time of the last contract, no one knew that the Networks would begin broadcasting full episodes and teasers on the internet.the the lawyers and negotiators really can't see the "future" convergence of media/PC/internet that's been talked about in IT for years.

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
I was 100% behind the writers strike.

Not so hot on this one, at least not now. Terrible timing.

its actually Great timeing for them to go on Strike in an economic slump more ppl stay inside and watch tv they can give a shit that hollywood has still not recovered from the Writers stike and that this strike will only cripple hollywood more.

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Um, clearly, you do not understand the issues.

And sure, everyone that has talent and drive and works to be working actor or actress should quit and get a job at McDonalds.

JFC.

:shake:

if there only makeing $5,000.00 a year they may have the drive but there obviously lacking in talent.

oaklandhater
11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Whatever. Compared to actors, Writers are grossly underpaid. I fully supported the writers last year. And I'm not a union guy.

How many Writers have you seen waiting tables in hollywood I dont think Ive ever seen one

I use to live in LA and you dont have to go very far to find an out work actor the same can not be said for So Called Writers.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2008, 09:47 PM
if there only makeing $5,000.00 a year they may have the drive but there obviously lacking in talent.

You TRULY are an idiot.

So what's your fucking point? That actor don't deserve income derived from the internet and other alternative forms of media because either they're paid too much already or they're untalented?

You sound like a fucking moron.

oaklandhater
11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
You TRULY are an idiot.

So what's your ****ing point? That actor don't deserve income derived from the internet and other alternative forms of media because either they're paid too much already or they're untalented?

You sound like a ****ing moron.

My point is every one in hollywood is greedy the actors the writers no one Thinks about the consequences that come with a strike the ratings still haven't come close to what they were before the WGA strike.

11-24-2008, 08:18 PM
My point is every one in hollywood is greedy the actors the writers no one Thinks about the consequences that come with a strike the ratings still haven't come close to what they were before the WGA strike.You actually raise a good point in favor of the actors. Hit while things are still down.

This really isn't a surprise though.