PDA

View Full Version : Football College Award Finalists Named

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Finalists announced: Tebow, Harrell, McCoy will vie for Maxwell

Nov. 24, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Tim Tebow will get a chance to repeat as winner of the Maxwell Award, given to college football's top player.

The Florida quarterback was one of three finalists announced Monday, along with QBs Graham Harrell of Texas Tech and Colt McCoy of Texas.

The Maxwell and eight other college football awards will be presented Dec. 11.

Harrell and McCoy -- along with Oklahoma's Sam Bradford -- also are up for the Davey O'Brien, awarded to the top quarterback.

Linebackers Rey Maualuga of Southern California and James Laurinaitis of Ohio State and defensive end Aaron Maybin of Penn State are finalists for the Chuck Bednarik Award for best defensive player.

The Outland Trophy for best interior lineman will go to Michael Oher of Mississippi, Duke Robinson of Oklahoma or Andre Smith of Alabama.

For the Biletnikoff as best receiver, the finalists are Dez Bryant of Oklahoma State, Michael Crabtree of Texas Tech and Jeremy Maclin of Missouri.

Safety Eric Berry of Tennessee is a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award for top defensive back, along with Malcolm Jenkins of Ohio State and Taylor Mays of Southern California.

The Doak Walker finalists for best running back are Shonn Greene of Iowa, Knowshon Moreno of Georgia and Javon Ringer of Michigan State.

Louie Sakoda of Utah is a finalist for both kicking awards -- he's up against Graham Gano of Florida State and Josh Arauco of Arkansas State for the Lou Groza as best kicker. For the Ray Guy, given to best punter, he faces Matt Fodge of Oklahoma State and Pat McAfee of West Virginia.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11130404

kepp
11-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Bradford, Maualuga, Smith, Crabtree, Jenkins, Moreno & don't really care about the kickers.

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Bradford, Maualuga, Smith, Crabtree, Jenkins, Moreno & don't really care about the kickers.

You skipped the Maxwell, but I'm guessing you go with Harrell or McCoy :p

kepp
11-25-2008, 08:17 AM
You skipped the Maxwell, but I'm guessing you go with Harrell or McCoy :p

Ah, right. Yeah, I'd guess McCoy. It seems they left Tebow off the Doak Walker list though. What's up with that? Not as many rushing TDs this year? :)

kepp
11-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Also: http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112408aaf.html

Chase Coffman, Jermaine Gresham & Brandon Pettigrew up for the Mackey award for best TE.

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Ah, right. Yeah, I'd guess McCoy. It seems they left Tebow off the Doak Walker list though. What's up with that? Not as many rushing TDs this year? :)

Funny. He's also left off the O'Brien this year and I'm actually surprised he's still up for the Maxwell. While I still think he's the best player in CFB his numbers are down because the team is so much better this year. They're getting scores on defense, special teams and starting with a short field on offense. He's also not playing much, if at all, in the 4th quarter. Hell, last week he was out of the game in the 2nd quarter.

kepp
11-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Funny. He's also left off the O'Brien this year and I'm actually surprised he's still up for the Maxwell. While I still think he's the best player in CFB his numbers are down because the team is so much better this year. They're getting scores on defense, special teams and starting with a short field on offense. He's also not playing much, if at all, in the 4th quarter. Hell, last week he was out of the game in the 2nd quarter.

Moody transferred from USC over the summer, no? Did he have to sit out this year?

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Moody transferred from USC over the summer, no? Did he have to sit out this year?

No, he's played sparingly. He was injured for most of the season and he's played more and more as the season's progressed. I think he'll see a bigger role next year. He's had to adjust to taking handoffs out of the shotgun/spread offense. Over the last 4 games he's rushed for 71, 48, 46 and 116yds. He's averaging 7.4ypc.

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Also: http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112408aaf.html

Chase Coffman, Jermaine Gresham & Brandon Pettigrew up for the Mackey award for best TE.

Don't know why they left that out of the article. I was extremely impressed with Gresham Saturday night. Pettigrew has all the tools but I've seen him drop/fumble the ball more than once.

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 08:28 AM
I think JL is better than Rey, and I think Malcolm Jenkins wins in a landslide. I think Shonn Greene should win the Doak Walker, but Moreno probably will because he was on a better team.

CoMoChief
11-25-2008, 08:29 AM
The Chiefs should draft Wolffert or Gano next season.

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 08:30 AM
I think JL is better than Rey, and I think Malcolm Jenkins wins in a landslide. I think Shonn Greene should win the Doak Walker, but Moreno probably will because he was on a better team.

Teh big 11 is teh best evar!2Q@!)(!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Don't know why they left that out of the article. I was extremely impressed with Gresham Saturday night. Pettigrew has all the tools but I've seen him drop/fumble the ball more than once.

Gresham was good, but he dropped 3 or 4 passes just in that game.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2008, 08:36 AM
SAKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODA

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2008, 08:37 AM
ARAUUUUUUCOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Teh big 11 is teh best evar!2Q@!)(!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do see JL winning the award since Rey was injured and JL gets more press and stats (tackles). The Doak will probably go to Ringer. However, I think the Jim Thorpe should go to Eric Berry. Dude had a sick year on a shit team. He's the lone bright spot on the Vols and is absolutely one of the best safeties in the country. He's had 7 picks and 2TDs this season.

CupidStunt
11-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Absolutely pathetic that Bradford isn't in the mix with Tebow, Harrell and McCoy. Hahahahhaha.

kepp
11-25-2008, 08:53 AM
I think JL is better than Rey...

ROFL Now I need a new keyboard.

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 08:55 AM
I do see JL winning the award since Rey was injured and JL gets more press and stats (tackles). The Doak will probably go to Ringer. However, I think the Jim Thorpe should go to Eric Berry. Dude had a sick year on a shit team. He's the lone bright spot on the Vols and is absolutely one of the best safeties in the country. He's had 7 picks and 2TDs this season.

Berry has been stellar this year. You know who I love at safety, Kurt Coleman for the Buckeyes. He was a starter last year as a soph. and he was pretty good, pretty much known for his big hits. This year he has been an absolute terror, I think he is approaching what Mike Doss was for us. He isn't there yet, but he has 4 picks this year, and he just punishes people when he tackles them, and he rarely misses tackles. I came into the year expecting him to be good, but he has been great.

I'm not sold on Ringer, he did absolutely nothing against us, and he was pretty much shut down against PSU. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because I think PSU and OSU have two of the top ten defenses in the country. Ringer has a lot of TD's, but I think Greene is better.

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 08:56 AM
ROFL Now I need a new keyboard.

Best Buy has some nice keyboards.

kepp
11-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Best Buy has some nice keyboards.

You have to promise to stop posting about OSU though.

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 09:05 AM
JL stats are twice as good as Rey's. I don't care what you say about the Big 10, it isn't as much of a patsy conference as the Pac-10 is. I know what the argument is going to be, "Well Rey was hurt blah blah blah". JL never get's injured and he has been a starter for 4 years, maybe Rey is going to get knocked for not being able to stay healthy.

JL (12games)
121 tackles (total)
2 picks
4 sacks
5.5 TFL

Rey (9 games)
66 tackles (total)
2 picks
0 SACKS
2.5 TFL

Even with playing 9 games in teh PAC-10 he should have more stats, if he can walk on water like everyone around here seems to believe. JMO

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 09:07 AM
You have to promise to stop posting about OSU though.

Read the post below you, I do post valid points. I will agree if OSU has someone who is not as good as another player. In JL and Malcolm Jenkins cases, I do not believe there is anyone better at their positions in the country.

kepp
11-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Read the post below you, I do post valid points. I will agree if OSU has someone who is not as good as another player. In JL and Malcolm Jenkins cases, I do not believe there is anyone better at their positions in the country.

I'm just messin' with you pretty much. JL is a great player and I wouldn't complain if we got him. I just think Rey is going to be better in the NFL.

ohiobronco2
11-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Got to be honest with you here, I've seen Malcolm get burned too many times. I will be anxious to see his 40 time at the combine. I think a switch to safety may be in his best interests.

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm just messin' with you pretty much. JL is a great player and I wouldn't complain if we got him. I just think Rey is going to be better in the NFL.

I figured you were :thumb:. Like I have said before it depends on what kind of LB you want. I like both guys and would love to have either one of them on the Chiefs.

ohiobronco2
11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
I think Tim Tebow should be up for every award and if he doesn't win I expect Urban Meyer to p*ss and moan. The SEC has the best coaches in college football, but they are all some of the most classless, lying pr*cks I've ever seen.

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Got to be honest with you here, I've seen Malcolm get burned too many times. I will be anxious to see his 40 time at the combine. I think a switch to safety may be in his best interests.

Any examples? Everyone will get beat now and then, it's how you recover, and did you see Jenkins come back after the play action and knock the ball away from Matthews against TSUN? Closing speed my friend, he gave Cumberland from Illinois too much room one play also, and he closed so quickly on him knocking the ball out of his hands. The play against TSUN, the one thing I didn't like is he didn't look back at the ball, it was the first time in a while I watched him not play the ball.

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I think Tim Tebow should be up for every award and if he doesn't win I expect Urban Meyer to p*ss and moan. The SEC has the best coaches in college football, but they are all some of the most classless, lying pr*cks I've ever seen.

On that note, isn't it funny how Andre Ware rips Ohio State for scoring two late TD's on Northwestern to make the score 45. Ware is ripping Jim Tressel saying he doesn't have any class and how he's running up the score. Yet the same thing happens with Oklahoma against T-Tech, they scored 65 POINTS!! Everyone just says, oh that's style points for the BCS, but they rip OSU for scoring 45. The double standard is hilarious in College football. Urban Cryer and Pete Carroll score 70 all the time on crappy teams and no one cries wolf on them.

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Any examples? Everyone will get beat now and then, it's how you recover, and did you see Jenkins come back after the play action and knock the ball away from Matthews against TSUN?

While I give Jenkins credit for making the play, that ball was severely underthrown. Matthews had to stop and turn back for it. Otherwise it would have been a TD.

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 09:43 AM
On that note, isn't it funny how Andre Ware rips Ohio State for scoring two late TD's on Northwestern to make the score 45. Ware is ripping Jim Tressel saying he doesn't have any class and how he's running up the score. Yet the same thing happens with Oklahoma against T-Tech, they scored 65 POINTS!! Everyone just says, oh that's style points for the BCS, but they rip OSU for scoring 45. The double standard is hilarious in College football. Urban Cryer and Pete Carroll score 70 all the time on crappy teams and no one cries wolf on them.

Bullshit. First, there is a double standard. People were bitching about Florida running up the score on Miami earlier in the year for kicking a late field goal. the score was 26-3, a 23point margin yet they cried about that while saying nothing about 50-60 point margin games. Second, Florida doesn't put 70 up all the time. The 70 they put up Saturday was the first time ever under Urban Meyer. Additionally, in that game they had the ball 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line at the end of the 1st half and sat on the ball taking it to halftime. That's not RUTS.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
http://i37.tinypic.com/210cbih.png (http://kickira.ytmnd.com/)

kepp
11-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Also, why isn't Vontae Davis on that list? He's a great corner, no?

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Also, why isn't Vontae Davis on that list? He's a great corner, no?

I think he is good, but great, IMO no. Mecca likes him a lot more than Jenkins. He will be a workout freak like his brother Vernon, so he will skyrocket with his combine workout.

SCTrojan
11-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Urban Cryer and Pete Carroll score 70 all the time on crappy teams and no one cries wolf on them.

The only time this year that USC came close to 70 was when they dropped 69 on Washington State. If you are saying that the score was run up, then you didn't watch the game - one pass thrown in the second half, fourth-string quarterback playing at the end, got as far down the depth chart as the traveling roster would allow, etc. Heck, he even let the clock run out in the first half when they were up 42 and on the 10-yard line or so.

Rausch
11-25-2008, 10:13 AM
While I give Jenkins credit for making the play, that ball was severely underthrown. Matthews had to stop and turn back for it. Otherwise it would have been a TD.

Feh.

This weekend, you're going down.

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/floridastatefront.jpg

El Jefe
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Feh.

Hurt me hurt me, I will never get tired of seeing that picture.

DaKCMan AP
11-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Feh.

While I'd love to "go down" with her, the Gators will remain victorious. ;)

eazyb81
11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
It's laughable that Laurinaitis and Maualuga are Bednarik finalists over Brandon Spikes. That award is a joke and is only going with name players.

Hopefully Coffman wins the Mackey. I don't think Maclin has any chance to beat out Crabtree for the Biletnikoff.

beer bacon
11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
No, he's played sparingly. He was injured for most of the season and he's played more and more as the season's progressed. I think he'll see a bigger role next year. He's had to adjust to taking handoffs out of the shotgun/spread offense. Over the last 4 games he's rushed for 71, 48, 46 and 116yds. He's averaging 7.4ypc.

This is why I don't think Tebow should win any awards this season. He is still a great player, but he hasn't had to do near as much since Harvin, Moody, Rainey, and Demps have rushed for a combined 2,000 yards at 8 ypc.

I think McCoy should be the guy winning these QB/MVP awards. Texas's offense is more dependent on their QB then any of the other great college offenses.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2008, 03:26 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/210cbih.png (http://kickira.ytmnd.com/)quotin dis

Hermcock
11-25-2008, 04:23 PM
The Outland Trophy for best interior lineman will go to Michael Oher of Mississippi, Duke Robinson of Oklahoma or Andre Smith of Alabama.

kstater and Zach got PWNED!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=176440

BWillie
11-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Shonn Greene better win the best running back in the country over Javon Ringer. Javon Ringer is a tad bit overrated IMO, he just gets more carries than anybody else.