PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Herm on Jared Allen and Glen Dorsey

KCJohnny
11-26-2008, 07:46 AM
I know this will draw the ire of the "Fire Herm Now!" proponents, but he puts this in some perspective when he references the devlopment of Warren Sapp who he observed up close and personal with TB.

Q: When Allen was gone one of the plusses was getting rookie Glenn Dorsey who could provide a rush up the middle. Has he provided that?
EDWARDS: “We knew in drafting him that he wasn’t going to come in and light it up as a pass rusher right away because that’s not what he was asked to do in college. The thing that you don’t realize some times is in college he was a dominant player. You’ve got to understand in college he’s playing against guys, a lot of time, that are going to be lawyers, doctors, politicians. They’re life’s work is not going to be professional football. They’re good college players. He just happened to be one of the better players. He was playing against those kinds of guys.
“He comes into this league and he’s playing against professional football players – guards who have played that position for four or five and some 10 years. He’s going against those guys and he has no experience playing against those guys and he’s getting it every game he plays.
“I look back at Warren Sapp his first couple of years. Warren Sapp was a high-round pick. You watch his growth. You’ve got to give guys time. If you look at most of the kids that came in as defensive linemen – even the ends that came in this year like Howie Long’s son – it doesn’t happen overnight.
“You can’t have everything. We were able to get him (in the draft) but we lose a heck of a player. But we acquired a couple of other players too who are helping us right now: Jamaal Charles, who is helping; we got a safety in the third round - a good football player. We gave a player who was a good player away but we added a few more players who in the future will be good players for us.”

ChiefGator
11-26-2008, 07:48 AM
You mean.. Herm didn't admit to making a mistake! Stop the presses!

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
What is there to bag on about this comment?

DTs take time to develop. Allen was a disaster waiting to happen here.

the Talking Can
11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
its an innocuous response to a question

what is your point, you dummy?

BigRedChief
11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
You mean.. Herm didn't admit to making a mistake! Stop the presses!
Dorsey was not a mistake. Even if he bombs it was a good pick. No way, no how we could have let Dorsey slide past us. Just imagine the uproar on this board if King Carl and Herm had let Dorsey go by us?

ChiefGator
11-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Dorsey was not a mistake. Even if he bombs it was a good pick. No way, no how we could have let Dorsey slide past us. Just imagine the uproar on this board if King Carl and Herm had let Dorsey go by us?

I don't think it was. But citing Herm's response as validating the pick is a bit iffy, since Herm will never say anything that may make him look bad. To listen to him make one wonder, when have ANY of his picks not been good?

Clarification: I don't think drafting Dorsey was a mistake. That's what my first sentence meant.

CoMoChief
11-26-2008, 08:03 AM
What is there to bag on about this comment?

DTs take time to develop. Allen was a disaster waiting to happen here.

Yeah, because he's gotten into SOOOO much trouble up in MIN thus far.

CoMoChief
11-26-2008, 08:03 AM
its an innocuous response to a question

what is your point, you dummy?

ROFL................that avatar..................priceless. REP

InChiefsHeaven
11-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Good Lord. If a first round pick doesn't go to the Pro Bowl and win Rookie of the Year, he'a a bust. Welcome to the planet.

the Talking Can
11-26-2008, 08:16 AM
ROFL................that avatar..................priceless. REP

can't take your eyes off her, can you?

that sweet mouth....

El Jefe
11-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Good Lord. If a first round pick doesn't go to the Pro Bowl and win Rookie of the Year, he'a a bust. Welcome to the planet.

Yeah that crap is getting old. I didn't expect him to be Warren Sapp in the first year. Did I want him to be, you bet I did, but it's not a realistic expectation.

HemiEd
11-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Why is this any different, than the exact same article posted yesterday?

R-E-P-O-S-T

StcChief
11-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Why is this any different, than the exact same article posted yesterday?

R-E-P-O-S-Tjust picked a chunk out of article....

agreed. DTs we know take longer to develop.

ChiefGator
11-26-2008, 08:33 AM
agreed. DTs we know take longer to develop.

I wish we could agree to ban Herm quotes from here though. I don't know how he hasn't lost the players. He has lost me through the course of this year, only because he never takes the blame for anything and every one of his choices is apparently perfect.

That's why I responded to the quote. not because I think Dorsey is a bust, but because I'm sick of hearing Herm defend any of his damn choices. Until he once says "Coach better", he's dead to me.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if once we purge the coaching staff we don't suddenly get better production from all of our high D-Line picks.

Reerun_KC
11-26-2008, 08:48 AM
I wish we could agree to ban Herm quotes from here though. I don't know how he hasn't lost the players. He has lost me through the course of this year, only because he never takes the blame for anything and every one of his choices is apparently perfect.

That's why I responded to the quote. not because I think Dorsey is a bust, but because I'm sick of hearing Herm defend any of his damn choices. Until he once says "Coach better", he's dead to me.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if once we purge the coaching staff we don't suddenly get better production from all of our high D-Line picks.

QFT!

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-26-2008, 08:57 AM

WORD.

Duck Dog
11-26-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't think it was. But citing Herm's response as validating the pick is a bit iffy, since Herm will never say anything that may make him look bad. To listen to him make one wonder, when have ANY of his picks not been good?

Clarification: I don't think drafting Dorsey was a mistake. That's what my first sentence meant.

Why would someone say something to make themselves look bad?

HemiEd
11-26-2008, 09:12 AM

Well said, the play on the field shows they don't buy what he is selling.

TEX
11-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I was all for trading L. J. a couple of off seasons ago before the huge contract. IMO, the Chiefs weren't going to pay both he and Allen. Time has proven that they chose wrong. Having Allen and Dorsey would have been awesome...

Oh - and Sapp and Long showed way more than Dorsey thier rookie seasons. You could tell that both were going to be something in spite of what the stats show. We have seen nothing from Dorsey to indicate that. Course that has alot to do with the total $HIT we have for coaching IMO. Still, if Dorsey falls to yo at # 5 - you take him every time.

unothadeal
11-26-2008, 09:29 AM
We could have had John Henderson :shake:

Skip Towne
11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
can't take your eyes off her, can you?

that sweet mouth....

I'll bet her name is Maude.

Micjones
11-26-2008, 11:55 AM

We definitely need a new Defensive Line coach.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2008, 12:20 PM

I forgot that you are cycled out of the substance abuse program after you don't fuck up for your first 10 games after signing the richest contract for your side of the ball in league history.

Fish
11-26-2008, 12:34 PM

Are you aware that Allen has been fined a total of $75,000 for 3 different incidents this year? And he narrowly avoided a league suspension for it?

That's quite the halo he's toting....

B_Ambuehl
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
I can't believe people here are so gullible to believe the Chiefs didn't screw up majorly by letting Allen go. Our football team only has the worst defense in team history and is getting ready to set an NFL record for fewest sacks in NFL history, but f*ck, we don't miss out on Jared Allen at all. lol

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I can't believe people here are so gullible to believe the Chiefs didn't screw up majorly by letting Allen go. Our football team only has the worst defense in team history and is getting ready to set an NFL record for fewest sacks in NFL history, but f*ck, we don't miss out on Jared Allen at all. lol

We went 4-12 with him having a career year.

This was never a one year trade for us, and if you think it was, you're a dumbass. The fact that we've already gotten a franchise LT out of it is just icing on the cake, compound that with the cap savings and the very good possibility that we got two future starters out of the deal in Morgan and Cottam, I fail to see how this is a bad deal.

OnTheWarpath15
11-26-2008, 03:53 PM
We went 4-12 with him having a career year.

This was never a one year trade for us, and if you think it was, you're a dumbass. The fact that we've already gotten a franchise LT out of it is just icing on the cake, compound that with the cap savings and the very good possibility that we got two future starters out of the deal in Morgan and Cottam, I fail to see how this is a bad deal.

Shit, I'd make the deal for Albert straight up.

Morgan and Cottam were bonuses, IMO.

You pay a guy $70M, he better damn well lead the league in sacks, or be damn close. ESPECIALLY when he's playing alongside two of the best DT's in the league.

Instead, he's 10th in the league, 6.5 sacks behind the league leader, tied with Darren Howard.

DARREN HOWARD.

Shit, this is the one time Carl DIDN'T fuck up, and people have a sandy vajeen over it.

Amazing.

Mecca
11-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Jared Allen was a hero to a big portion of this fan base this will always be considered a bad move to alot of them.

OnTheWarpath15
11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Jared Allen was a hero to a big portion of this fan base this will always be considered a bad move to alot of them.

So who's the beer-drinking, bull riding redneck we can draft this year to replace him?

I haven't gotten to off-the-field profiles yet in my scouting.

:D

Mecca
11-26-2008, 04:01 PM
So who's the beer-drinking, bull riding redneck we can draft this year to replace him?

I haven't gotten to off-the-field profiles yet in my scouting.

:D

LOL, this is going to sound bad, and I made a joke about it the other day but if we ever get another top of the line player that is white it'll be the same thing so I hope whoever that is that he isn't a total dumbass off the field.

FringeNC
11-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Trading Allen was so out of character for Peterson. It makes no sense for 4-12 teams with horrible coaches to sign Jared Allen. It also makes no sense for a team with a starting QB like Tavaris Jackson to make the trade.

Even though I like the trade (a lot), it was obvious watching the Chiefs 2005-2007 that Jared Allen was the defense. If he wasn't wreaking havoc in the opponent's backfield, the Chiefs' D was just like it is now. A player like Allen can mask a lot of the coaching deficiencies of someone like Gunther Cunningham.

KCJohnny
11-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah that crap is getting old. I didn't expect him to be Warren Sapp in the first year. Did I want him to be, you bet I did, but it's not a realistic expectation.

I think Herm's point was that Warren Sapp wasn't even Warren Sapp in his first couple of seasons.

KCJohnny
11-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I was all for trading L. J. a couple of off seasons ago before the huge contract. IMO, the Chiefs weren't going to pay both he and Allen. Time has proven that they chose wrong. Having Allen and Dorsey would have been awesome...

Oh - and Sapp and Long showed way more than Dorsey thier rookie seasons. You could tell that both were going to be something in spite of what the stats show. We have seen nothing from Dorsey to indicate that. Course that has alot to do with the total $HIT we have for coaching IMO. Still, if Dorsey falls to yo at # 5 - you take him every time.

Allen opened a resturaunt in KC. LJ spits in the faces of KC's young women.

Hmmm. Who should we keep, Carl? Coulda, woulda, shoulda, I wish we still had JA and LJ was getting in trouble in some other city. Agreed: JA and Dorsey on the dame DL could have been special. Look how much better Tamba Hali's play was when #69 was on the opposite end blowing up half the offensive line of the opponent.

Brock
11-26-2008, 10:44 PM
A restaurant? Yeah, I suppose they served food.