PDA

View Full Version : Life Law Enforcement...

munkey
11-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Some here know me personally...some know me only as Mr. Munkey...BUT after a long time of owning my own business I'm ready to finally look at a career in law enforcement.

This is not a spur of the moment decision...rather something I've thought about for a long time.

Phil free to chime in Phil...:-)

munkey
11-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Oh...and what do ya'll think about the profession in general...

Skip Towne
11-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Are you sure you want to know?

munkey
11-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Are you sure you want to know?

Hey...someone has to do it...

and yes...I'd like to know

88TG88
It sounds like an easy job to be a cop in Idaho. Go for it !

munkey
I'm not talking about a big city...more like 8k in population...

Bugeater
I think it would be fun to tase people.

munkey
11-26-2008, 05:06 PM
It sounds like an easy job to be a cop in Idaho. Go for it !

how so?

jaa1025
11-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Some here know me personally...some know me only as Mr. Munkey...BUT after along time of owning my own business I'm ready to finally look at a career in law enforcement.

This is not a spur of the moment decision...rather something I've thought about for a long time.

Phil free to chime in Phil...:-)

Positives: Fulfilling career. Stability. Like having a second family. Great benefits and retirement. Won't get "rich" but can earn a good living. Fun and never gets dull.

Negatives: Shift work is hard on everyone, especially families. Divorce rate is high. Sometimes get shot at...deal with pricks all the time and you start to have a different outlook on the "public". Stress? Become cynical if your not already.

munkey
11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Positives: Fulfilling career. Stability. Like having a second family. Great benefits and retirement. Won't get "rich" but can earn a good living. Fun and never gets dull.

Negatives: Shift work is hard on everyone, especially families. Divorce rate is high. Sometimes get shot at...deal with pricks all the time and you start to have a different outlook on the "public". Stress? Become cynical if your not already.

you must be a cop...

That's exactly what they told me in my interview...

Donger
11-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I would probably shoot the first person I encountered. Most policeman must have an amazing ability to employ restraint.

munkey
11-26-2008, 05:12 PM

Not worried about the family really...I can't say I'm not cynical about the public already BUT it's part of the job really...no one is perfect.

88TG88
11-26-2008, 05:12 PM
how so?

How much crime goes on in a town where the potatoes outnumber the people ?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2008, 05:13 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gpYL3zZpRJE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gpYL3zZpRJE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

munkey
11-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I would probably shoot the first person I encountered. Most policeman must have an amazing ability to employ restraint.

No...you'd siphon their gas first ;-)

munkey
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM
How much crime goes on in a town where the potatoes outnumber the people ?

word...

crazycoffey
11-26-2008, 05:21 PM

this

Kyle DeLexus
11-26-2008, 05:29 PM
My brother just graduated from the academy this weekend. Also alot of my high school friends have gone on to be police officers, and if you can deal with (sometimes) terrible hours and not much vacation time, it's a great career field to make a difference. I am actually going to try and get hired on as a Part-time PO whenever i'm out of school and have my career figured out.

burt
11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I think it's admirable and honorable.....go for it.

Fish
11-26-2008, 05:42 PM
"I swear sir... that is not my crack pipe."

"No I haven't been drinking."

The Franchise
11-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Be careful when frisking people.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Mlch97EQDA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Mlch97EQDA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1adam1238
11-26-2008, 06:33 PM
I ended up in the bastard child of LE. I work in corrections and it has its good points and bad points. IF you get tired of the streets and want to come indoors. We are still hiring and always need good officers.

StcChief
11-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I would probably shoot the first person I encountered. Most policeman must have an amazing ability to employ restraint.no probably about it.

Skip Towne
11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
I ended up in the bastard child of LE. I work in corrections and it has its good points and bad points. IF you get tired of the streets and want to come indoors. We are still hiring and always need good officers.

What does it pay?

1adam1238
11-26-2008, 06:46 PM
starts at $37,000/year here.

Job announcement:

https://nvapps.state.nv.us/NEATS/Recruiting/ViewAnnouncement.aep?recruitmentId=6366

Frazod
11-26-2008, 08:11 PM
My interactions with cops generally involve them separating me from my money. Occasionally they tell me that there's not much chance of recovering my stolen property (which is always the case).

Seems they're never around when you need one, but always at the ready with a fucking radar gun and ticket pad.

Can't say I'm much of a fan.

macdawg
11-26-2008, 08:32 PM
My best friend is a cop and works 2-11pm on east side KC, did a ride along with him once and was crazy crazy stuff, would be totally different being a cop in Idaho and have to do more of the d-bag things like speeding & top sign tickets and such, regardless cops are needed everywhere and if you think you'll be a good cop then do it.

Have you applied or interviewed yet? My friend has to work a lot of weekends, he works 4 days in a row on 10 hour shifts then is off 3 days in a row. He gets tons of sick and vacation time. I looked into applying and getting hired and it is quite a process.

Phobia
11-26-2008, 08:57 PM
That's great. I know you'd do well. Best of luck!

JuicesFlowing
11-26-2008, 09:03 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0fra5QluUM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0fra5QluUM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

btlook1
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
If it's what you want to do then go do it. I don't know about everyone else around here but I'm not totally happy with my job. I got an idea about what I would like to do full time but can't do it right now. I say follow your heart and do it if you can.
you won't get rich on 37k but you can make a living. In my opinion if you can do what you love to do than you are better off making less $$.

KcMizzou
11-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Awesome man. Best of luck to you.

"Convict" thing aside, I've pretty much always had law enforcement types in the family. My mom was a dispatcher for years, and my "step dad" is a detective now.

munkey
11-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Have you applied or interviewed yet?

Yes...Out of 50 applicants I was one of twelve interviewed. I am now basically in the top 3 for the job.

AND yes...It has been quite the process...

munkey
11-26-2008, 09:23 PM
If it's what you want to do then go do it. I don't know about everyone else around here but I'm not totally happy with my job. I got an idea about what I would like to do full time but can't do it right now. I say follow your heart and do it if you can.
you won't get rich on 37k but you can make a living. In my opinion if you can do what you love to do than you are better off making less $$.

My thoughts exactly...I want to do something I'm passionate about...anyone can make money...problem is it doesn't account for anything if your not happy in life.

banyon
11-26-2008, 09:28 PM
"I swear sir... that is not my crack pipe."

"No I haven't been drinking."

Craftier:

So what if the cocaine baggie was in my pants, these are not my pants. i just borrowed them yesterday!

(sadly, I am literally going to trial on a case like this in a month).

Fish
11-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Craftier:

So what if the cocaine baggie was in my pants, these are not my pants. i just borrowed them yesterday!

LMAO

Borrowed pants..... criminals are hilariously creative sometimes.... a sort of spontaneous unpredictability that makes you smile...

munkey
11-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Craftier:

See...there would be something new everyday...criminals have such a clever mind...;-)

alanm
11-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Craftier:

I could provide you hrs of hilarity with similar stories.

munkey, Make sure you understand with you're getting into. I retired after 20 yrs in 03. But I worked for the gubment.
I can only reference my friends here where I live with the State Patrol as to what a small town cop has to deal with on a day to day basis.
Most of it involves alcohol and drugs and all the fun that is involved with that. Kids and vehicle's of all ages. And don't forget dysfunctional families.
And at the last moment before you're sworn in and they offer you the blue pill, consider taking it. :)

Munson
11-26-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm trying to get into law enforcement myself. Not as a cop though, but as a border patrol agent. So far, its been a very long, and very thorough process. The application itself is at least a dozen pages long and takes a while to fill out, then I did a written test(got a 94), passed the medical and fitness test. I just had a setback with the board interview, so I have to wait a few more months before I can be reconsidered. But if I pass that next time around(which I'm positive I will), I still have to go through a complete background check and drug test. I really want this career change. I'm tired of all the b.s. I have to deal at my current job.

If anyone is interested, looking for something different, and you don't mind a relocation, the border patrol is hiring. If you're even halfway interested I'd apply as soon as you can, because it is a long ass process. Here's a couple of links...

http://www.borderpatrol.gov/

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/customs_careers/

macdawg
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
keep in mind you'll have 3 days off in a row that you can work some overtime if you need extra money, you can easily make $25-$30 an hour doing security at a concert, or security for certain properties, etc.

Phobia
11-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I've gone on this "legacy" kick lately. I've been very concerned with how my life will have impacted others and how long after my death my being will have mattered.

I can continue creating beautiful homes for people who will enjoy them certainly for a time after my death but homes are fleeting. The newspaper gives me a vehicle to influence people in a positive way. "Protecting and serving" will provide you a whole lot more satisfaction than your current career, I would presume.

teedubya
11-27-2008, 12:31 AM
any weed that you confiscate, send to Skip Towne. he is old and weed is getting expensive.

munkey
11-27-2008, 07:40 AM
"Protecting and serving" will provide you a whole lot more satisfaction than your current career, I would presume.

That's about 90% of the draw for me...I want to make a difference in peoples lives but understand it may be negative at times without even opening my mouth.

Fish
11-27-2008, 11:10 AM
At some point, you'll likely be offered sexual favors for leniency.... hopefully it won't be a dude....

Skip Towne
11-27-2008, 11:18 AM
A lot of people don't like cops. They are viewed as snitches.

Phobia
11-27-2008, 11:38 AM
At some point, you'll likely be offered sexual favors for leniency.... hopefully it won't be a dude....

His wife is gorgeous. I'm guessing Kelli Croyle couldn't get out of a citation with Munkey.

CoMoChief
11-27-2008, 12:19 PM
The character you must have for the job will effect your everyday normal life.

Like someone else said previously, you will have different views on the "public"

Midnight_Vulture
11-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I hate cops. I have been pulled over on my bike waaaay too many times i can count. Sometimes they are cool and let me off with a warning though.