PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Home theater issues

Bowser
11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I have an Onkyo HTR-430 surround sound setup, and I've lost audio to my back speakers. Nothing I hit on the console or remote is bringing them back up, and it doesn't appear that I have any loose connections anywhere.

Any ideas?

Bowser
11-27-2008, 12:38 PM
That should say AV Receiver HT-R430.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-27-2008, 12:42 PM
You might check to see if your receiver has a speaker A/B switch and if you accidentally knocked it over to B side...that will disable surround sound.

Run a test tone and list which speakers give you sound.

If that doesn't work, try different sources, and change the sound processing options on the receiver.

OnTheWarpath15
11-27-2008, 12:44 PM
You might check to see if your receiver has a speaker A/B switch and if you accidentally knocked it over to B side...that will disable surround sound.

If that doesn't work, try different sources, and change the sound processing options on the receiver.

Well, that's every suggestion I had...

Good luck.

Bowser
11-27-2008, 12:49 PM

It does, and only the front kick in when the A button is down. B brings nothing, and A and B together still only has the front.

How do I go about running a test tone (I can't find the fucking manual, of course)?

And it's remarkable how little info I've been able to find on the web about this particular model.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Take a picture of your remote and post it on here.

Bowser
11-27-2008, 12:55 PM
OK, give me a few.

This would go faster if I had Demonpenz's ability with MS paint. :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Bowser:

If you are in need of a manual:

http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Receiver

Miles
11-27-2008, 01:17 PM
The only other suggestion I have is if a test tone still produces no sound for your rears, switch the rear speaker wire connections from A to B on the back of your receiver and then switch to B in with the settings.

Buck
11-27-2008, 01:21 PM
I had a similar Problem w/ my Onkyo.

After 2 hours of frustration, I just unplugged the speaker wire and plugged it back in, and it worked.

Did you try that?

Bowser
11-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Allright, let's see if this works...

Bowser
11-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Bowser:

If you are in need of a manual:

http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Receiver

Thanks, dude. However, I already went there, and of course my fucking brand isn't listed. Of course.

Bowser
11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Another...

Bowser
11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Jesus, I need to dust, lol.

Bowser
11-27-2008, 01:31 PM
The only other suggestion I have is if a test tone still produces no sound for your rears, switch the rear speaker wire connections from A to B on the back of your receiver and then switch to B in with the settings.That might be in the near future for me.

I had a similar Problem w/ my Onkyo.

After 2 hours of frustration, I just unplugged the speaker wire and plugged it back in, and it worked.

Did you try that?Kind of like re-setting the garage door when the stupid thing doesn't want to work? Eh, why not try it?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Your test tone button is circled. The button next to it is your channel select button. After you hit test tone, hit channel select each time to cycle through the channels on your receiver.

Buck
11-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Kind of like re-setting the garage door when the stupid thing doesn't want to work? Eh, why not try it?

Yeah, I was so pissed when that was the issue, it was too easy a fix for me to spend 2 hours on the damn thing.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-27-2008, 01:33 PM
If a speaker is connected correctly, you will hear white noise out of it, and the receiver will display the channel (Front Left, Center, etc.) that it is outputting noise from. If one isn't putting out any sound, it's most likely not connected.

Bowser
11-27-2008, 01:36 PM
OK, give me a few and I'll report back...

Bowser
11-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Success! Surround sound has returned.

If a speaker is connected correctly, you will hear white noise out of it, and the receiver will display the channel (Front Left, Center, etc.) that it is outputting noise from. If one isn't putting out any sound, it's most likely not connected.

Yeah, I got that going and let it cycle around a few times until I came out of it, and then suddenly they were working again. I have no idea how the rear three speakers kicked off, and to be honest, I really didn't do anything exotic to get them back on. I'll just chalk it up to being an electronics n00b.

Thanks for all the pointers, everyone. It is appreciated.

Now I'll go try out the new Left 4 Dead game, right after I dust the basement. :D