PDA

View Full Version : Football Missouri State High School Football Championships

bowener
11-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't see this anywhere on the board. If it is a re-post please delete it or join it to another or something.
Are any Planeteers old high schools playing this week or any sons playing in any of these games?

My high school just won the 8-man state Championship a few hours ago (game started at 9am--MSHSAA does not like 8-man too much). They all play at the Edward Jones Dome in STL now, which is pretty sweet, even though 17 of the 20 8-man teams are north of 70 and west of 65.

My stepdad got to do the color commentary on KMA radio out of Shenandoah, Ia from the press box at the dome. He said it was pretty hard for an old man (70) to read the numbers from 6 stories up. He liked it though.

Pretty proud of my old school though. The score was 48-16, the backups for MC gave up a TD to the other teams starters, otherwise it was a 48-8 romp. Its pretty sweet too because most of the kids playing are all really good kids and play as a team. I live too far too see them play often, if ever, so I have to keep in touch with my old friends to keep me up to date.

If any of you have not seen an 8-man game, you should give it a try if you live near NW missouri area. Pretty entertaining, and the small crowds can get pretty rowdy depending upon what game you go to. If you go to a Mound City vs. Oregon game you will see families split as if it were the civil war all over again... maybe not quite that bad anymore since Oregon isnt all that good now, but when I was in HS it was pretty nuts since everyone has cousins on the other sideline (I had at least 2 that I knew of). The contests are usually high scoring affairs or at least one team. If the teams aren't matched talent wise then it turns into a massive blowout, hence the 45 point rule. This rule is enacted the moment one team is deafeating the other by 45 points. The clock runs continuously unless there is a timeout or a turnover. If this is rule is enacted before halftime, the losing team has the opportunity to end the game at half or continue playing where they are given the chance to forfeit at any point there following. I have to say at least half my games in HS were ended by halftime. We had a 5 week span my junior year where we gave up 0 points.

The 2 best examples I can give as to the games being high scoring is the opening game my senior year we went to a school that was supposed to be the best team and we beat them 81-14 midway through the 3rd quarter. It was 63-0 at half and our backups played the rest of the game. The other example would be our state championship my freshman year where we won 62-60 and set a new record for most records broken in a single game... I think it was 9, but might have been 7.

If you want to read some better articles or writers just use google: here are a few though.

From STL about MC. (http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/stories2009.nsf/football/story/B6B46C2A9FE89DA38625750E00226FBD?OpenDocument)
From St Jo about 8-man going to STL. (http://stjoenews.net/news/2008/nov/26/eight-man-football-goes-st-louis-1st-time/)
About MC beating Stanberry--- apparently we are +36 in turnovers (http://www.sjnp.net/news/2008/nov/15/stanberry-gets-run-over-mound-city-earns-trip-edwa/?sports)
This article is pretty good and brings back memories from HS for me. Also, I live (parents) 25 yards from the football field and my stepdad helped build the entire sports 'complex'... (http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2008/oct/10/mound-city-big-game-little-town/) I dont remember our practices ever feeling like a pool party when we had Coach Petersen, he refered to our first 2 weeks as hell weeks because all we did was run sprints and drills in August heat.

Well, you've heard me ramble on. I want to hear some others ramble too. If you want to know more about 8-man, please ask! I was 6'2" 165-190 and played WR/DE, always both sides of the ball, ironman football!

BigRedChief
11-28-2008, 02:21 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190023&page=11&highlight=high+school+football

Skip Towne
11-28-2008, 02:24 PM
There is one on TV righ now. Thayer and somebody. I watched a little of it until I reaized I didn't give a shit.

blueballs
11-28-2008, 02:26 PM
when did you last
give a shit about anything

eazyb81
11-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Go Spoofhounds!

ChiefsCountry
11-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I think its cool that they even give the small schools at shot at being on tv. They are rotating the games so every other year all the classes can be on tv.

Also my annual 4321 to Salem, MO. Bastards cost me a chance at a state title.

PastorMikH
11-28-2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190023&page=11&highlight=high+school+football

Seems like I'm the only one still posting on it :p

Congrats on your State Championship!

We are in the Semi-finals tommorow, winner goes to the Ok State Championship game next week.

POND_OF_RED
11-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm interested in seeing Derrion Thomas play for south. Someone was telling me the other day that he was born 9 months after his dad set the single game sack record. I have no proof of this because I don't know his actual birthday, but the age matches up. Maybe he was conceived in celebration of the best defensive performance in Chiefs history. If that's the case, I don't care that he's only played one year, the tigers need to go after him.

Bowser
11-28-2008, 02:48 PM
"Pond of Red". Most excellent, and accurate.

|Zach|
11-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Playing in the dome is a great experience. Congratulations.

POND_OF_RED
11-28-2008, 03:01 PM
"Pond of Red". Most excellent, and accurate.

:) All credit goes to DaFace.

plbrdude
11-28-2008, 03:26 PM
mchs definately put the hammer to st. joe christian today. and @ 48-16 it was the closest game of the year for the panthers. they are an extremely well coached and unselfish bunch of kids. not shure how far we'll drop in talent next year but we should be pretty good again. when i was in school we played 11 man, but they switched to 8 man when i lived in arizona. it took awhile to get used to but i rather enjoy it now. was hoping to beable to post a bunch of pics, but some idiot(me) forgot to get fresh batteries for the camera. did get a couple though. have to see how they look when i get back home.

J Diddy
11-28-2008, 03:31 PM
webb city plays helias tomorrow for the state championship as well

Sam Hall
11-28-2008, 04:18 PM
My brother is friends with the two sibling offensive linemen for Orrick. They played a great game.

damaticous
11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
webb city plays helias tomorrow for the state championship as well

Ahhh...webb city and Helias. both very good teams when I was in HS. Helias, we always beat, but they hit hard and played with heart. Never played Webb City, but heard they have always been good.

Camdenton? lol from what I hear they didn't do too well this year.

I live in Chillicothe now. Great football team and was only beat by 1 point the game before state. Kinda feel sorry for em, but that's the breaks

evolve27
11-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Anyone know where some streams for this are? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaper16
11-28-2008, 05:14 PM
The Orrick/Thayer rematch was great, even in the game was prolonged by the refs giving Thayer an imaginary touchdown.

Tomorrow: Go Spoofhounds!

ExtremeChief
11-28-2008, 06:48 PM
I went to HS with the head coach of Blue Springs South. They flipped which classes they are showing on FSN so his game won't be on. Damnit.

Also, Clark County is playing for the title in Class 2. They are in the same conference as my hometown.

Good luck to both.

Sam Hall
11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I have to give Raytown South some props. They aren't just a basketball school anymore.

Reaper16
11-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Also, Clark County is playing for the title in Class 2. They are in the same conference as my hometown.

Screw Clark County. :p Maryville 4 life

jjchieffan
11-28-2008, 07:41 PM
My high school just won the state championship for 3A. Cassville Wildcats. I am in disbelief. They never amounted to squat when I was in school, but lately, they have been amazing. The game was at the Jones Dome, against a St. Louis school, and it was never close. 31-7 final score. The kicker is amazing as well. Every kick was through the endzone all night.

Reaper16
11-28-2008, 08:01 PM
My high school just won the state championship for 3A. Cassville Wildcats. I am in disbelief. They never amounted to squat when I was in school, but lately, they have been amazing. The game was at the Jones Dome, against a St. Louis school, and it was never close. 31-7 final score. The kicker is amazing as well. Every kick was through the endzone all night.
They were pretty dominant tonight. That kicker has mad skillz, yo.

ExtremeChief
11-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Screw Clark County. :p Maryville 4 life

Actually I normally hate Clark County since they are a rival. It actually may be farther away from me than Maryville.

Should be a pretty good game.

KcMizzou
11-28-2008, 08:15 PM
The Orrick/Thayer rematch was great, even in the game was prolonged by the refs giving Thayer an imaginary touchdown.

Tomorrow: Go Spoofhounds!I work with several guys who are just nuts for Orrick football. We give them a hard time by "accidentally" calling them the bobcats.

Ebolapox
11-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I think its cool that they even give the small schools at shot at being on tv. They are rotating the games so every other year all the classes can be on tv.

Also my annual 4321 to Salem, MO. Bastards cost me a chance at a state title.

if only coach had put you in during the fourth quarter of the big game. bet you could even throw a football over that mountain!

LiL stumppy
11-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Ahhh...webb city and Helias. both very good teams when I was in HS. Helias, we always beat, but they hit hard and played with heart. Never played Webb City, but heard they have always been good.

Camdenton? lol from what I hear they didn't do too well this year.

I live in Chillicothe now. Great football team and was only beat by 1 point the game before state. Kinda feel sorry for em, but that's the breaks

Webb has one of the best HS programs in MO. We played Union the first round of the play-offs who beat Helias by about 40. The West side of the state is stacked in class 4.

Skip Towne
11-28-2008, 10:35 PM
In Tulsa it's Jenks and Union once again for the 6A title. I'd love to see them play the KC schools.

PastorMikH
11-28-2008, 10:37 PM
In Tulsa it's Jenks and Union once again for the 6A title. I'd love to see them play the KC schools.

So, Union and Jenks are going to fight it out for the second best HS football team in the state.

:)

Actually, I heard that Jenks and Mustang played on a "Nuetral" field over 2 hours away from Mustang but only 20 minutes from Jenks.

Skip Towne
11-28-2008, 10:41 PM
So, Union and Jenks are going to fight it out for the second best HS football team in the state.

:)

If your cute little team ever got on the field with Jenks or Union there would just be a grease spot left in the middle of the field.

Reaper16
11-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Webb has one of the best HS programs in MO. We played Union the first round of the play-offs who beat Helias by about 40. The West side of the state is stacked in class 4.
Webb City is going to smoke Helias, and Kearney would have done the same had they prevailed over Webb.

wutamess
11-28-2008, 11:48 PM
My freagin Cardinals (Raytown South) lost on the last play of the game hail marry.
It was an awesome game.
Congrats to Hazelwood East and congrats to the Cardinals on an excellent season.

BigRedChief
11-28-2008, 11:50 PM
When they played LSW and beat them earlier this year I got a lot of flack about saying the Cardinals were for real. RS will be a force next year too.

Raytown South got beat on a Hail Mary in the class 5 championship tonight. Gary Pinkle should be on the phone to Gardner from RS right now with an offer. He already has Ball State and Southern Illinois offers but according to the broadcast Missouri and Kansas are both interested. They should watch some highlights. The dude can return kicks, catch pass's and run the ball with authority. Watch the endof the first half run. Amazing. NFL calibur run. He could replace McClan in the Missouri scheme when Jeremy moves on to the NFL.

Trivia.....Hazelwoood east is coched by Mike Jones. Mike is the guy who tackled the defender one yard short of the goal line to give the Rams their Super Bowl.

KcMizzou
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Raytown South got beat on a Hail Mary in the class 5 championship tonight. Gary Pinkle should be on the phone to Gardner from RS right now with an offer. He already has Ball State and Southern Illinois offers but according to the broadcast Missouri and Kansas are both interested. They should watch some highlights. The dude can return kicks, catch pass's and run the ball with authority. Watch the endof the first half run. Amazing. NFL calibur run. He could replace McClan in the Missouri scheme when Jeremy moves on to the NFL.Damn... sounds good to me.

BigRedChief
11-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Damn... sounds good to me.
The dude has major skills but I don't think he's been coached that well. He's a raw talent that needs some molding and coaching.

I was standing on the sidelines and I watched the guy take a ball at midfield and run to the sidelines and up the field after puttting two moves on tacklers. He was the fastest runner I've seen in high school this year. He left behind the LSW defense with about 7 yards to spare from the 40 yard line when he caught the ball. And every single one of those defenders that he either juked or ran past will be playing football next year on a schlorship.

Reaper16
11-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Trivia.....Hazelwoood east is coched by Mike Jones. Mike is the guy who tackled the defender one yard short of the goal line to give the Rams their Super Bowl.
When it comes down to the last play of a game, I want that guy on my side.

wutamess
11-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Speaking of the hail mary... Why won't coaches put the tallest players on their team to defend it.

Similar to When Tyus Edney hit that game winning layup with 2 7 footters sitting on the MU bench.

Dumbass coaching.
Why not put the Gardner in there as a Safety for that one play?

BigRedChief
11-29-2008, 12:15 AM
When it comes down to the last play of a game, I want that guy on my side.
He said this was a better victory and more meaniful than making that tackle on the past game interview. I just don't see how. But I'm not him.

Arrowhead Nation
11-29-2008, 12:15 AM
As a South alum who knows David Allie, the Cardinals HC, I damn near threw up when the pass was caught. One of my toughest moments as a sports fan tonight.

BigRedChief
11-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Speaking of the hail mary... Why won't coaches put the tallest players on their team to defend it.

Similar to When Tyus Edney hit that game winning layup with 2 7 footters sitting on the MU bench.

Dumbass coaching.
Just like your "hands" team on obvious offside kickoffs.

Agreed, put your playmakers on the field.

KcMizzou
11-29-2008, 12:19 AM
He said this was a better victory and more meaniful than making that tackle on the past game interview. I just don't see how. But I'm not him.Meh, ask him in 20 years.

plbrdude
11-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Anyone know where some streams for this are? Any help would be appreciated.

check the mshsaa site. you might have to pay 5 bucks

Reaper16
11-29-2008, 02:13 PM
**** you, Clark County. j/k, congrats.

Good season, Spoofhounds, even if you did come up just short.

LiL stumppy
11-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Webb City is going to smoke Helias, and Kearney would have done the same had they prevailed over Webb.

Yea, Webb is not overly impressive at all if you look at their team on the field, but they know how to win and expect to win and that makes them one of the best. Webb's D has been playing darn good the second part of the season.

J Diddy
11-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Yea, Webb is not overly impressive at all if you look at their team on the field, but they know how to win and expect to win and that makes them one of the best. Webb's D has been playing darn good the second part of the season.

Dude they're averaging like 300 yards a game rushing. How is that not impressive?

KChiefs1
11-29-2008, 07:13 PM
When does Blue Springs South play?

Skip Towne
11-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Dumbass coaching.

Mizzou's coaches didn't think you could go 94 feet in 4.3 seconds.

J Diddy
11-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Webb city beat helias 41-34 in the closing minutes. Sounded like a really good game.

LiL stumppy
11-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Dude they're averaging like 300 yards a game rushing. How is that not impressive?

Not their game, their athletes. That have a fast QB and a tough FB, but no one just blows you away with talent.They have a few kids decent sized, but no one real big or fast. They are a well coached team that knows how to win though, the best in the state this year.

J Diddy
11-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Not their game, their athletes. That have a fast QB and a tough FB, but no one just blows you away with talent.They have a few kids decent sized, but no one real big or fast. They are a well coached team that knows how to win though, the best in the state this year.

I say it has something to do with starting their kids on football at the age of 6 and making a football hero a god in this town.

CONGRATS WC

Rausch
11-30-2008, 04:44 AM
Webb city beat helias 41-34 in the closing minutes. Sounded like a really good game.

Bull$#it.

I was depending on the old High School to get it done after Mizzou and KC puked this season...feh...:grr:

BigRedChief
11-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I say it has something to do with starting their kids on football at the age of 6 and making a football hero a god in this town.

CONGRATS WC
Yeppers, it's like Texas on Friday nights down that way. Except there are no prospects for a good career after High School for most(if they stay in town), so this is their moment in life that they remember. Sad.:shake:

ExtremeChief
11-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Tough loss for South last night. I think they had 4 if not 5 turnovers. Still had a chance to win at the end of the game. In fairness HC made a lot of mistakes as well and had around 100 yards in penalties. Not the most well played game to watch, but still came down to the wire.

StcChief
11-30-2008, 10:06 AM
"Pond of Red". Most excellent, and accurate.ROFL soon to be "mud puddle of RED"....

J Diddy
11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Bull$#it.

I was depending on the old High School to get it done after Mizzou and KC puked this season...feh...:grr:

you went to helias?

J Diddy
11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeppers, it's like Texas on Friday nights down that way. Except there are no prospects for a good career after High School for most(if they stay in town), so this is their moment in life that they remember. Sad.:shake:

To be honest alot of those guys get scholarships. Plus we did have wistrom.

Reaper16
11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
To be honest alot of those guys get scholarships.
For real. There is college football beyond FBS and FCS. Division II, Division III, and NAIA football loves them some MO HS football players.

BigRedChief
11-30-2008, 12:17 PM
To be honest alot of those guys get scholarships. Plus we did have wistrom.
How many get scholarships on the Webb City team?

Last year the LSW team had 22 seniors get offers for football scholarships.

J Diddy
11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
How many get scholarships on the Webb City team?

Last year the LSW team had 22 seniors get offers for football scholarships.

I couldn't give you an exact number but I know it's quite a few. Adam spieker was a webb city guy who's now playing with the raiders.

bowener
11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
mchs definately put the hammer to st. joe christian today. and @ 48-16 it was the closest game of the year for the panthers. they are an extremely well coached and unselfish bunch of kids. not shure how far we'll drop in talent next year but we should be pretty good again. when i was in school we played 11 man, but they switched to 8 man when i lived in arizona. it took awhile to get used to but i rather enjoy it now. was hoping to beable to post a bunch of pics, but some idiot(me) forgot to get fresh batteries for the camera. did get a couple though. have to see how they look when i get back home.

who was the coach when it was 11 man and what year was that? I remember looking at all the old sports pictures in Mr. Ungles' class room when I was little and being jealous that they got to play 11 man when i was getting ready to play 8man in junior high.

jjchieffan
11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I am pretty proud of my hometown high school football team. They are the defending state champs in class 3A, and they play in the semifinals this weekend against O'hara in KC this weekend. Oh, the school is Cassville.

bowener
11-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Mound City is in the Championship again this year, they play Saint Joe Christian.

bowener
11-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Bump. (http://www.kplr11.com/news/sns-ap-fbh--8-manchampionship,0,5490222.story)

Mound City won the 8-man Championship again. They beat St. Joe Christian by a score of 50 to 8.

They did it old school with 257 yards rushing (and 114 passing).

Stats. (http://champs.mshsaa.org/results/bracket_box.asp?Bracket_Info_ID=7066)

eazyb81
11-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Congrats to the Maryville Spoofhounds for winning state!

seaofred
11-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Congrats to the Cassville Wildcats for defending their State Championship, by beating Bowling Green 24 to 7. It wasn't even as close as the score indicated. Cassville had a 94 int returned for a TD called back, and they fumbled once inside the 15.

Reaper16
11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Congrats to the Maryville Spoofhounds for winning state!
Yup.

'grats to those Kearny fucks, too.

patteeu
11-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Yup.

'grats to those Kearny ****s, too.

At least Excelsior Springs can take solace in the fact that the team that beat them 56-0 went on to win the state championship this year. :p

patteeu
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Most exciting finish in a MO High School playoff game this year (AFAIK). Chaminade trails Webster Groves 28-20 late in the game. They score a TD but fail on the 2-point attempt. In desperation, they kick on onside kick... and recover the ball! A few plays later they kick the go ahead field goal. Webster Groves gets the ball with very little time left and...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAlU7RbvHTs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAlU7RbvHTs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rausch
11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
you went to helias?

Yep.