PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Exceeding Expectations

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:13 AM
There are many young players on the Chiefs team that I expected to see develop and contribute a great deal to the team this year, for example Albert and Flowers. Yesterday I saw three players I expected very little from who are developing rapidly and exceeding any expectation I had for them.

Legget - I was really impressed with his play yesterday. At the beginning of the season I did not see why the coaches were so high on this guy. This guy can cover ground fast. He is turning out to be a quality nickel back.

Boiman - My expectation was for this player to be cut within a couple weeks. Yesterday his play surpased anything I've seen from Pat Thomas. He was around the ball all afternoon making tackles and causing fumbles. Could they have found their future MLB? If not he could be the quality depth they have not had forever at that position.

Babin - Another player I expected to be cut soon, but I was impressed by his play. He has a good first step, can get around the corner or can make a move to cut back inside. He put pressure on Russell all day. Considering most of his NFL experience is at OLB this guy could become a solid rotation player taking the sting away from losing Jimmy Wilkerson.

What players are exceeding your expectation?

Kylo Ren
12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
There are many young players on the Chiefs team that I expected to see develop and contribute a great deal to the team this year, for example Albert and Flowers. Yesterday I saw three players I expected very little from who are developing rapidly and exceeding any expectation I had for them.

Legget - I was really impressed with his play yesterday. At the beginning of the season I did not see why the coaches were so high on this guy. This guy can cover ground fast. He is turning out to be a quality nickel back.

Boiman - My expectation was for this player to be cut within a couple weeks. Yesterday his play surpased anything I've seen from Pat Thomas. He was around the ball all afternoon making tackles and causing fumbles. Could they have found their future MLB? If not he could be the quality depth they have not had forever at that position.

Babin - Another player I expected to be cut soon, but I was impressed by his play. He has a good first step, can get around the corner or can make a move to cut back inside. He put pressure on Russell all day. Considering most of his NFL experience is at OLB this guy could become a solid rotation player taking the sting away from losing Jimmy Wilkerson.

What players are exceeding your expectation?

If Legget could develop into our #3 CB, I'd be pleased as punch. But, I wish they'd stop testing him at KR / PR.

I don't see Boiman being any more than a #3 LB and/or ST player. But, as bad as our LB's have been, who knows!?

Maybe Babin can be a #2 DE? We need to draft a #1 pash rushing DE. Perhaps Babin could be the #2, while Hali and McBride could be the backups. I'd like to see that happen.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:25 AM
If Legget could develop into our #3 CB, I'd be pleased as punch. But, I wish they'd stop testing him at KR / PR.

I don't see Boiman being any more than a #3 LB and/or ST player. But, as bad as our LB's have been, who knows!?

Maybe Babin can be a #2 DE? We need to draft a #1 pash rushing DE. Perhaps Babin could be the #2, while Hali and McBride could be the backups. I'd like to see that happen.

I agree that DE is the biggest need on defense and MLB coming in at #2. But, if Boiman can continue to surprise and develop he could fill a big need. At a minimum I not hope they have found MLB depth and maybe a future ST star.

If Babin can fulfil the potential he showed in college he could really help the DE rotation. I still don't expect him to develop into the #1 guy at RDE.

crazycoffey
12-01-2008, 09:25 AM

strictly from memory, I think he's showing potential that rivals that of JA's first year. I remember near the end of his first year, he started getting more playing time, and his steps got quicker and quicker - he got closer and closer to making some big plays, just off a little bit.

I'm not saying he'll be the same as JA, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him earn a starting role and start really surprising some opponent O-linemen next year.

Fish
12-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Leggett maybe. But I can't see Boiman or Babin being anything more than what they are now. Which is being a backup player in a starting situation because we don't have any better options.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
JFC...Rocky Boiman? Rocky fucking Boiman?http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/4803/suicideon9.gif

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Leggett maybe. But I can't see Boiman or Babin being anything more than what they are now. Which is being a backup player in a starting situation because we don't have any better options.

You may be right, but I didn't expect even that much from them. What players are exceeding your expectation?

BigChiefFan
12-01-2008, 09:40 AM
strictly from memory, I think he's showing potential that rivals that of JA's first year. I remember near the end of his first year, he started getting more playing time, and his steps got quicker and quicker - he got closer and closer to making some big plays, just off a little bit.

I'm not saying he'll be the same as JA, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him earn a starting role and start really surprising some opponent O-linemen next year.
Babin in the same category as JA? ROFL

Babin is on his last leg in the NFL. I seriously doubt he makes much of a contribution to any team. Stick a fork in him-he's done.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:41 AM
JFC...Rocky Boiman? Rocky ****ing Boiman?http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/4803/suicideon9.gif

Exactly! I expected absolutely nothing from that guy, but he is playing fairly well. Did you see the Fargas fumble he caused? He is always around the ball. I expect he will get even better as he learns the defense. I will be pleased if he can become a quality #2 at MLB and a good ST player.

Brock
12-01-2008, 09:41 AM

ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Exactly! I expected absolutely nothing from that guy, but he is playing fairly well. Did you see the Fargas fumble he caused? He is always around the ball. I expect he will get even better as he learns the defense. I will be pleased if he can become a quality #2 at MLB and a good ST player.

He touched his right arm. He caused nothing. There's a reason he was sacking groceries until we called his ass.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:44 AM

Babin is on his last leg in the NFL. I seriously doubt he makes much of a contribution to any team. Stick a fork in him-he's done.

He is still young and untested at DE. Like you I don't think he will cause me to forget about JA, but he could develop enough to make me forget about Wilkerson. As a college DE and former 1st round pick it is not unfathomable.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:45 AM
He touched his right arm. He caused nothing. There's a reason he was sacking groceries until we called his ass.

Who is exceeding your expectations?

Fish
You may be right, but I didn't expect even that much from them. What players are exceeding your expectation?

Mark Bradley
Brandon Flowers
Mike Cox
Tyler Thigpen

Those are really the only players playing better than I thought they would...

Brock
Forget about Wilkerson? What is there to remember?

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:46 AM
ROFL

Ok funny man, who is exceeding your expectation?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Who is exceeding your expectations?

Thigpen, Albert, Bradley, Barth.

Brock
12-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Ok funny man, who is exceeding your expectation?

You got Legget and I guess Boiman right. Perhaps even Babin, but what I was laughing at was douche's comparison to Jared Allen.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Forget about Wilkerson? What is there to remember?

He is a solid #2 DE playing very well in Tampa. The team could really have used him this year.

Brock
12-01-2008, 09:51 AM
He is a solid #2 DE playing very well in Tampa. The team could really have used him this year.

I'm just surprised anyone even remembers Wilkerson was here, since he did next to nothing the entire time.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:51 AM
You got Legget and I guess Boiman right. Perhaps even Babin, but what I was laughing at was douche's comparison to Jared Allen.

Yeah, the comparison was beyond any expectation I could hold for Babin, but I love the enthusiasm. Its that enthusiasm that keeps me coming back to this BB.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:54 AM

I expected Albert and Barth to play well. I agree Bradley is a gift. No player has exceeded my expectations more than Thigpen for the year. The players I listed really surprised me for the first time yesterday against Oakland.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm just surprised anyone even remembers Wilkerson was here, since he did next to nothing the entire time.

I liked him and hated to see him go although I couldn't blame him. He got better every year who started his career as a Chief. Solid rotation guy similar to Boone who could have been a big help this year. He is playing real well in Tampa.

crazycoffey
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM

just my thoughts, dickcheese.... I remember when JA exceeded his initial expectations.

You on the other hand, continue to live up to what is expected of you - Nadda....

Brock
12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
just my thoughts, dickcheese.... I remember when JA exceeded his initial expectations.

You on the other hand, continue to live up to what is expected of you - Nadda....

Your opinion of me is, as always, really important.

TEX
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Dude sucked - especially against the run. I saw all of his games when he was a Texan and he didn't show much of anything to suggest he would even be a solid roll player. But, sometimes a change in venue can make a player's career.

crazycoffey
12-01-2008, 10:07 AM

he's pretty quick off the line, you can still see he has some talent. It hasn't fully transitioned to this level and may never, but I've seen a few glimpses of hope that reminded me of JA as he started to shine. That's all....

Man, some of you people are out for a freakin witch hunt at the first sight of anything someone has put hope in.

crazycoffey
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Your opinion of me is, as always, really important.

ahh, come on now - why else do you seek out these negative confrontations with me and many other posters? Is it really because you don't care what I say at all? That doesn't sound right, does it?

If you don't care you wouldn't talk at all. No, I think you like these little moments of banter between us.

Brock
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
ahh, come on now - why else do you seek out these negative confrontations with me and many other posters? Is it really because you don't care what I say at all? That doesn't sound right, does it?

If you don't care you wouldn't talk at all. No, I think you like these little moments of banter between us.

"Many other posters"? You mean you and claythan. Please don't confuse the fact that I enjoy ridiculing you with any level of significance to me personally.

Reerun_KC
12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Has to be Herm, we wouldnt be where we are not without him...

:clap:

crazycoffey
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
"Many other posters"? You mean you and claythan. Please don't confuse the fact that I enjoy ridiculing you with any level of significance to me personally.

Are you seriously trying to tell me you only Fug with me and Clayton?

I didn't say anything to any degree about you "personally", I don't know you personally - as to your actions on this board you are just a lowbrow that always jumps on people's opinions/statements as being somehow insignificant to the great and all powerful bore-rock.

Brock
12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Are you seriously trying to tell me you only Fug with me and Clayton?

"fug with you"? No. Laugh at you and your average fantasy football player's perspective on the Chiefs? Yes. It isn't my problem if you have an inferiority complex about it.

Micjones
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Boiman and Babin should stay on as valuable depth for this football team.
I'd still like to see this team go out and draft a DE and MLB, but certainly these guys can contribute.

I'm all for them staying on.

Leggett's had two good games in as many weeks. He's coming along nicely.
He's another role player in my mind though.

blueballs
12-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Shawn Barber had wet dreams about playing against
a QB and offense the caliber of the Raiders

crazycoffey
12-01-2008, 11:14 AM
"fug with you"? No. Laugh at you and your average fantasy football player's perspective on the Chiefs? Yes. It isn't my problem if you have an inferiority complex about it.

Well, I y'am what I y'am;
an average fantasy football player. A father, a son, a brother, an uncle and a friend. I work three jobs to make ends meet, even then I barely do. One of those jobs almost took me overseas on Aug 1st, where I wouldn't be able to see any games/highlight reels or even probably post on this board.

I enjoy watching the chiefs and talking my opinions and hearing other opinions too, but you just seem to want to smack any opinion that doesn't sound right to you.

I am an average fantasy football player - and I'm not shy/bashfull/embarrased about that at all, nor do I feel in any way inferior about it. Least of all to you.....

Brock
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I enjoy watching the chiefs and talking my opinions and hearing other opinions too, but you just seem to want to smack any opinion that doesn't sound right to you.

That's what this board is for. Didn't anybody tell you?

Saulbadguy
12-01-2008, 11:24 AM
This is a 2 win team. I'd say none of the players are exceeding my expectations.

crazycoffey
12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
That's what this board is for. Didn't anybody tell you?

which part, the first part or the second one?

Because I agree about sharing opinions, but disagree with smacking just to smack out of bordom/immaturity/arrogance or whichever one is the new "in" thing to do.

:D - does this help, BTW?

OnTheWarpath15
12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
To answer the question:

Albert
Thigpen
Bradley
Flowers
Carr
Barth
Cox

Everyone else is either just meeting expectations (Bowe, Gonzo, Dorsey, etc) or miserably failing to meet my expectations. (DJ, Niswanger, Williams, Page, Pollard)

blueballs
12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I'll throw out Cox
to add to the list

R&GHomer
12-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Mark Bradley
Brandon Flowers
Mike Cox
Tyler Thigpen

Those are really the only players playing better than I thought they would...

Hmm, I would add Carr to that list. He's out of place at times, but for a rookie, he's looking pretty good IMHO

RINGLEADER
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Defensive players who have impressed and/or done enough to be back next year as starters:

Glenn Dorsey -- Because maybe our new DC can get more than just an occassional flash out of a high 1st rounder;

Derrick Johnson -- Solid, if unspectacular, player;

Brandon Carr -- Very promising;

Brandon Flowers -- Very promising;

Maurice Leggett -- Very promising (but agree that he shouldn't be returning kicks);

Jarrad Page -- Generally solid;

So you're looking at needing five new starters. I'd get at least one DE via free agency and as good of a MLB as possible. Draft up the rest of the guys and keep the current best of the worst on the roster now for depth.

Offense suddenly looks like much less of a concern provided we keep Tony Gonzalez. Need a RT and would take a flier to find another stud WR (although Bradley, when he's not dropping pivotal passes on third down, could fill that void and contribute 50-60 catches opposite Bowe).

Fish
12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Hmm, I would add Carr to that list. He's out of place at times, but for a rookie, he's looking pretty good IMHO

I think Carr could be argued. He's shown some promise, but he still has a long way to go. He has the talent to be a starting corner. He's shown good ability to run with some of the best receivers, but he still has trouble when the ball is in the air. Mostly fundamental things like turning your hips the right way, tackling angle, and timing. Which all can be taught and refined by a good coach. He's looking good, but I wouldn't say he's exceeding expectations yet... I predicted he's take Surtain's job at some point, so he's right about where I thought he'd be.

RedThat
12-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Players that have exceed my expectations:

Thigpen

Bradley

Albert

Cox

Barth

Flowers

Carr

Herb Taylor

Dustin Colquitt

*I'll throw in Charles

Players that have disppointed me:

Glenn Dorsey

Bernard Pollard

Tamba Hali

Jarrad Page

Turk McBride

Tank Tyler

*Players that I expect to be either cut or the very least depth guys:

Boone

edwards

Boiman

D Williams

Babin

Boiman

Leggett

jjchieffan
12-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Coffey, I agree with you about Brock. Arrogant POS. I have had him on iggy for weeks now. He is more annoying than Wendler, and contributes nothing to the board. Try neg repping him for fun. I did once, and received whining pm's from him for days about it. LMAO

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 01:50 PM
I see several people put Albert and Flowers on their list, but did they really exceed your expectation? I expected a lot from both and they have delivered, which is very pleasing.

aturnis
12-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Barth? Really? Huh. Well, I think we all knew he was better than Novak, and an over 80% FG guy. So he's not exceeding any of MY expectations there. His kickoffs are horrid though, I would still like to TRY and replace him next year. Someone who can punch the ball well into the endzone.

Micjones
12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Tyler Thigpen
Branden Albert
Mark Bradley
Mike Cox
Brandon Flowers
Brandon Carr
Connor Barth

Delano
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I see several people put Albert and Flowers on their list, but did they really exceed your expectation? I expected a lot from both and they have delivered, which is very pleasing.

Albert absolutely exceeded my expectations. I figured the transition from guard to tackle would take a little more time, and considering he missed a lot of preparation time, I am impressed.

Flowers is exactly what I thought he was. A great fit for this type of defense.

OnTheWarpath15
12-01-2008, 02:07 PM

You expected them to perform near perfectly as rookies?

Because that's exactly what they've done.

Brock
12-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I can't recall either of those guys getting beaten in a game. They're both great players, for rookies or not.