PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs AP: After rare win, Chiefs worry about overconfidence

Tribal Warfare
12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
After rare win, Chiefs worry about overconfidence (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-victoriouschiefs&prov=ap&type=lgns)

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer 2 hours, 55 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—The Kansas City Chiefs rarely win, so it’s easy to remember what happens after they do.

The last time the youthful Chiefs beat somebody besides the Raiders, they fell to pieces. A 33-19 victory over the Denver Broncos on Sept. 28 was immediately followed by embarrassing blowout losses to Carolina and Tennessee, setting in motion a seven-game losing streak that did not end until Sunday’s hard-fought 20-13 win at Oakland.

Coach Herm Edwards ascribed the ruinous rush of arrogance that followed the victory over Denver to the folly of youth. Since September, his young players have learned some valuable lessons the hard way, he hopes.

“The one thing this league teaches you, it’s not who you play. It’s how you play the day you play,” he said. “You look at some of the scores this weekend and think, `How did that happen?’ A guy throws for 400 yards one game, then the next game he throws four picks.”

Now it’s on to Denver for a rematch Sunday with the only other team Kansas City has beaten in more than a year. With a win under the belt, will the Chiefs once again walk around as if they own the NFL?

Or have they matured?

“I think, hopefully, they learned their lesson in the Carolina experience,” Edwards said Monday. “I think they’ll respond.

“But a lot of these guys have never been to Denver,” he added. “We’re going to take 19 rookies or whatever it is.”

Edwards and his staff kept their fingers crossed for almost two months hoping their young players could gain the much-needed confidence boost that comes only with winning. Now that their second win in 20 games is in the book, the worry is that perhaps everyone might relax too much.

“How are you going to handle this?” Edwards said. “We’ll find out.”

Edwards gave the Chiefs Monday off to celebrate their win, and to celebrate the way they hung together the week after committing five turnovers in a 54-31 rout by Buffalo.

“How were we going to handle the Buffalo game, going on the road against the Raiders?” said Edwards. “That was the big question. We fought our way out of it and won a football game.”

Perhaps most encouraging was the way first-year starting quarterback Tyler Thigpen handled himself. Against the Bills, he’d thrown two picks and lost a fumble in his worst game since throwing three interceptions against Carolina.

But after throwing an interception Sunday that led immediately to an easy Oakland touchdown and a 10-10 tie, Thigpen engineered a 91-yard drive for the winning touchdown.

He started with a pass for 23 yards to tight end Tony Gonzalez, hit Gonzalez for another 16 yards, and ran for 11 himself to set up Larry Johnson’s short TD burst.

In a similar situation four games earlier against the Jets, Thigpen failed to deliver. In a similar situation on Nov. 16 against New Orleans, Thigpen failed to deliver.

But this time he came through for his first victory in six starts, lending a bit more weight to the argument that Kansas City may have stumbled upon its quarterback of the future.

Edwards is still not ready to make that declaration about Thigpen. But he readily agrees the second-year pro from Coastal Carolina is showing growth.

“I thought he made some good throws,” Edwards said. “He threw one to Tony on the sideline, that was a heck of a throw. On the interception, he booted the other way and threw too high to Tony. He made a couple of bad decisions. But he came back after the game was tied and he got us the lead, against a pretty good defense.

“It was something he hadn’t done. I thought he grew up a little bit right there. He’s learning. They’re all learning.”

Gonzalez, the nine-time Pro Bowler, had eight catches for 110 yards, his 26th 100-yard receiving game, extending his NFL record for his position.

“Tony was playing out of his mind,” Edwards said. “Since I’ve been here, that’s probably in my opinion his best game. Just the way he played, the way he caught the ball. Every catch imaginable, he made.”

Thig Lyfe
12-01-2008, 10:46 PM
hahahahahahahah

hahahahahahahah

hahahahah
hah
hah
ah
ahaha

yeti
12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
i'm going to the game. i hope they don't embarrass themselves, but i know better.

unothadeal
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Shouldn't these young players have learned this in high school and college?

Reerun_KC
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
ROFL

Over confident?

ROFL

Bitch Please!

cdcox
12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
The Chief's didn't lose seven straight because they were overconfident. They lost seven straight because they weren't a very good football team.

We won yesterday because the Raiders tried a fake FG and went for it in FG range on another 4th down play. Had they kicked those two FGs, that is a 13 point swing. We should have of lost to the Raiders on a day in which DeMarcus Russell went 10/28 for 132 yards. No possible reason for anyone to be overconfident.

Sure-Oz
12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
What a fucking joke

RealSNR
12-01-2008, 10:56 PM
I've never played professional sports, but can someone please explain to me the importance of "learning" how to do something not skill/play related? Like "learning how to win" or "learning how to play a division rival at home" and "how to play a division rival on the road".

Seriously, I don't know of any other team in the league that needs to be babied like this. Vermeil, Gunther, or even Marty never talked about "learning how to win".

You're in the pros. Shouldn't you be able to know your own body/mindset enough to prepare accordingly for a big game and not have to wait for the coaches to teach you to stay mentally and physically strong? That kind of shit happens in OTAs and training camp, for crying out loud.

More reason why Herm has this team playing stupid

dj56dt58
12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I've never played professional sports, but can someone please explain to me the importance of "learning" how to do something not skill/play related? Like "learning how to win" or "learning how to play a division rival at home" and "how to play a division rival on the road".

Seriously, I don't know of any other team in the league that needs to be babied like this. Vermeil, Gunther, or even Marty never talked about "learning how to win".

You're in the pros. Shouldn't you be able to know your own body/mindset enough to prepare accordingly for a big game and not have to wait for the coaches to teach you to stay mentally and physically strong? That kind of shit happens in OTAs and training camp, for crying out loud.

They had veterans who knew how to win..not rookies. They are a young team who does need to learn how to win..meaning how to come back and how to hold on to leads..how to play with the game on the line

The problem is..whose going to teach them?

cdcox
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM

This is Hermspeak for the the following "legitimate" ways of winning a football game:

1) His defense makes a heroic stand in the final minute to preserve a 1 point win
2) His offense holds the ball for the last 6 minutes of the game by running the ball every down, gaining a total of 40 yards on 10 carries while protecting a 1 point lead
3) His team uglies up the game against a really good team and keeps it within 2. His team crosses the 30 yard line with 1 minute left. They melt the clock without gaining any further yards. Then his FG kicker walks on the field and bounces a 47 yarder off the upright for the win.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Hahahahahahaha what

CHIEF4EVER
12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Now it’s on to Denver for a rematch Sunday with the only other team Kansas City has beaten in more than a year. With a win under the belt, will the Chiefs once again walk around as if they own the NFL?

Ummmmm, no. [/thread]

ArrowheadHawk
12-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Because 2-10 breeds great confidence.

Basileus777
12-01-2008, 11:56 PM
ROFL

Only in KC....

Taco John
12-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Doug Tucker is either clueless, or has a killer sense of humor. I'm going to give him the benefit of a doubt.

Reaper16
12-02-2008, 12:49 AM
The AP Headline writer must have received some booze as a Secret Santa gift.

Baby Lee
12-02-2008, 07:59 AM

A big part of Marty's job in the first couple of seasons here was to teach a culture of winning. I can recall prior to our first playoff under Marty commentators expecting a loss, but forgiving it because the team needed to learn what the playoffs were even like before they could expect any success.
May sound quaint these days, but it was strong CW back then.

CoMoChief
12-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Jesus Christ.

The last time we won, the following game was a huge coaching flop.

Playcalling was just as bad as the execution, but no one talks about the poor coaching.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Wow. Herm is a shitty coach, who is in over his head. Three million dollars a year for that? Clark, your throwing money out the window.

King_Chief_Fan
12-02-2008, 08:51 AM
how will a record of 2-19 buld over confidence?

Given the day off to celebrate...ha! that is the issue. Celebrate being 2-19 means get your butts back to work because you are about to get your butts handed to you by Denver. KC will be facing a much better team than it did on Sept. 28.

Direckshun
12-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Classic.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Just imagine for a second what the offense would be without Tony G, the player they wanted to trade and then tell me if these guys really know what they are doing.

OnTheWarpath15
12-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Just imagine for a second what the offense would be without Tony G, the player they wanted to trade and then tell me if these guys really know what they are doing.

:spock:

Wanted to trade?

Want to try that again?

HemiEd
12-02-2008, 11:16 AM
The Chief's didn't lose seven straight because they were overconfident. They lost seven straight because they weren't a very good football team.

We won yesterday because the Raiders tried a fake FG and went for it in FG range on another 4th down play. Had they kicked those two FGs, that is a 13 point swing. We should have of lost to the Raiders on a day in which DeMarcus Russell went 10/28 for 132 yards. No possible reason for anyone to be overconfident.

Yep, no different really than the Denver game. Gifts.

blueballs
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM
the team's guest speaker this week
Eric Hicks

el borracho
12-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Wow. I haven't read the Onion in years.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
:spock:

Wanted to trade?

Want to try that again?
Oh, I guess they were just going to outright release him to accomodate his wishes? :D

StcChief
12-02-2008, 11:40 AM
he can't be serious.... over-confident some luck in Faiderland. The fake FG early set the tone.

chiefsngop
12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I love the quotes from Herm with him expressing his hope that the players "have learned their lesson."

Are you f*ckin serious Herm ? Have the players learned their lesson ? How about you coach ? Have you taken the time to observe the multitudes of mistakes you and your staff have made ?

If this piss poor team is somehow able to manage OVERCONFIDENCE, that sir, is not the players problem, it is clear evidence of your ineptitude.

A 2 win team struggling with overconfidence.....ROFLROFLROFL :shake: