PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cowher to San Diego? ChiefsPlanet meltdown imminent??

orange
12-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Cowher to San Diego? Not likely

December 1, 2008 2:25 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

There are rumors flying in San Diego that the Chargers will pursue Bill Cowher to take over as coach next season.

I am not sure where the rumors started. But all I know is that I've been flooded with e-mails about the subject in the past 12 hours. So, the rumor does have steam.

But does it have legs? At this point, I would say no.

Anything can happen in the NFL. The unexpected happens all the time. I mean, who thought the San Diego Chargers would be 4-8 at this point?

There seems to be much better fits out there for Cowher. There are major rumblings inside NFL circles that Cowher will end his two-season hiatus and end up in Cleveland where he would run the whole show. That makes the most sense. There's a history and Cowher isn't going anywhere he wouldn't have control.

But Cowher to San Diego seems farfetched and impractical at this time. I think this rumor arose because the facts that Cowher is available and Chargers coach Norv Turner could be in trouble. Available coach and potential opening doesn't always equal a good fit.

Unless San Diego completely blew up the entire program and fired general manager A.J. Smith, it would be very unlikely that Cowher would go to San Diego just as coach.

And it would be highly unlikely that Smith would lose his job in San Diego. He is one of the most respected front office men in the league and he has built a strong roster. There is little chance he will be cut loose unless ownership in San Diego is completely fed up. At this point, that doesn't appear to be the case.

San Diego owner Dean Spanos and Smith both said two weeks ago that Turner would be back. But that was before San Diego lost two straight games. San Diego has lost five of its past six games and is on the brink of being eliminated from contention in the AFC West.

Still, if the Chargers lose a couple of more games, it wouldn't be a surprise if ownership changes its mind about Turner. But it would be a surprise if his replacement was Cowher. It is just doesn't seem to be the right fit.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-919/Cowher-to-San-Diego--Not-likely.html

RustShack
12-02-2008, 03:23 AM
I think that would be the perfect situation for him.

BigRock
12-02-2008, 03:31 AM
Unless San Diego completely blew up the entire program and fired general manager A.J. Smith, it would be very unlikely that Cowher would go to San Diego just as coach.

It would also be somewhat unlikely that he'd go work for the GM who treated Cowher's second father Marty like garbage.

orange
12-02-2008, 03:33 AM
It would also be somewhat unlikely that he'd go work for the GM who treated Cowher's second father Marty like garbage.

Couldn't firing Smith be a form of burying the hatchet? That plus lots of money, of course.

JOhn
12-02-2008, 03:35 AM
I really think it will be at least another year before he considers jumping back in the coaching circles.

BigRock
12-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Couldn't firing Smith be a form of burying the hatchet? That plus lots of money, of course.

If they fired him. The portion I quoted was was saying Cowher wouldn't want to go somewhere with a GM already in place. Even if Cowher didn't care if a GM was there, he still wouldn't go work for AJ Smith.

MichaelH
12-02-2008, 04:44 AM
The real issue here is that most coaches get fired after losing seasons. Except Hermie.

mylittlepony
12-02-2008, 06:58 AM
I heard somebody mention he was insisting on coaching a team that played the 3-4 D. So it makes sence.

King_Chief_Fan
12-02-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't have a link but it was also rumored on ESPN that Marty and Bill were candidates for Cleveland.:hmmm:

Agent V
12-02-2008, 08:09 AM
I was never a fan of Cowher coaching in Kansas City, but at least San Diego is doing SOMETHING to dig themselves out before it's too late.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 08:23 AM
This is good news, because Mort reported Norv would be back next year-I'm just glad Mort doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and could easily be wrong about Herm.

talastan
12-02-2008, 08:26 AM
If Cowher went to Sandy Eggo, talk about a power struggle. AJ Smith and Cowher would be fighting non-stop. I don't see it happening myself. Cowher to Cleveland is much more likely. Especially if the Browns drop Crennell and Savage.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Further unsubstantiated rumors of nightmarish proportions include a possible head coaching job for Mike Holmgren in Kansas City.

Just claw my eyeballs out, remove my eardrums, and sell my Chiefs Gear. Forever.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 08:55 AM
The AFC West is ripe for the taking,if Clark would just make a move with a competent head coach and GM.

Extra Point
12-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm putting Cowher as GM of the Chiefs on my Christmas 09 wish list.

morphius
12-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Well, lets face it, Norv lasted a year longer than anyone here expected.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Well, lets face it, Norv lasted a year longer than anyone here expected.And yet he did more for the Chargers than Herm did for the Chiefs in a shorter period of time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I would be ecstatic with this move.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 09:06 AM
And yet he did more for the Chargers than Herm did for the Chiefs in a shorter period of time.

Are you tryin' to tell me that inheriting Marty's work is "doing something"?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I would be ecstatic with this move.

What move? Moving Cowher to SD?

Yeah, that'd be just fantastic; the Chargers can continue to be competitive, and we can continue our fine tradition of doing the "the thumb up ass"-shuffle.

Yayyy...

morphius
12-02-2008, 09:11 AM
And yet he did more for the Chargers than Herm did for the Chiefs in a shorter period of time.
Well, he did have so much talent it was hard for him to fuck it up right away, took him an extra off season to figure out how to screw the pooch.

But hey, that isn't me pimping for Herm, 'cause I've never been a fan of that hire either.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
What move? Moving Cowher to SD?

Yeah, that'd be just fantastic; the Chargers can continue to be competitive, and we can continue our fine tradition of doing the "the thumb up ass"-shuffle.

Yayyy...

Yeah, they'll win 10-11 games a year and flame out in the playoffs.

That's better than putting in a coach who can win without assistance from the Ref$

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Are you tryin' to tell me that inheriting Marty's work is "doing something"?Yes, Marty and his multiple playoff wins in San Diego.:D Yep, Norv didn't do a damn thing without Marty.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah, they'll win 10-11 games a year and flame out in the playoffs.

That's better than putting in a coach who can win without assistance from the Ref$

You build an overall strategy around three guys, you take a major chance that you will "flame out in the playoffs".
Cowher would augment that talent, cement that team, and continue the fine tradition of kicking our asses and ruling the AFC West.
Bank on it.

Brock
12-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Cowher won't go there.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes, Marty and his multiple playoff wins in San Diego.:D Yep, Norv didn't do a damn thing without Marty.

Unless you're being sarcastic; agreed. 100%.

morphius
12-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Are you tryin' to tell me that inheriting Marty's work is "doing something"?
Well, I'd argue that AJ Smith was a big piece of the equation as well.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Unless you're being sarcastic; agreed. 100%.It was most defintely sarcasm.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Well, I'd argue that AJ Smith was a big piece of the equation as well.

True enough. Wow! What it must be like to have people that give a shit, and know what the fuck they're doing....

What IS that like? Wouldn't know...

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 09:23 AM
It was most defintely sarcasm.

Then you are most definitely wrong. Just what DID ol' Mr. Rodgers do out there that took Marty's work to the next level?

Please, by all means; enlighten!

Brock
12-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Then you are most definitely wrong. Just what DID ol' Mr. Rodgers do out there that took Marty's work to the next level?

Well, he won a playoff game or two.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 09:28 AM

Gee, maybe win playoff games, when Marty couldn't. Consider yourself enlightened.

OnTheWarpath15
12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Cowher won't go there.

This.

What people fail to understand, is that every time a job opening is talked about, Cowher and Schottenheimer are going to be talked about as candidates - regardless if they actually ARE...

Brock
12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Cowher works for no GM.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, he won a playoff game or two.

Gee, maybe win playoff games, when Marty couldn't. Consider yourself enlightened.

Choking two playoff births; got it.

Red Dawg
12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
he would put LT back as a top fantasy football player.

Brock
12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Choking two playoff births; got it.

:drool:

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
he would put LT back as a top fantasy football player.

He already is. That cat lives in fantasy-land 24/7.

blueballs
12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
overrated
spit machine
Cordal Stewart still loves him though

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Cowher is waiting for the Panthers gig.

Mr. Laz
12-02-2008, 11:14 AM
it looks like Cowher is enjoying the t.v. gig an awfully lot to me.

meh .... doesn't matter

Herm and Carl will both be back next year ..... accept it and get the tears of anguish out of the way now.

Buck
12-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Anything is better than Norv at this point, anything.

luv
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM

You can have Herm.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Cowher is waiting for the Panthers gig.

Probably. I'm sure he want's to stay close to home.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Herm's record as Head Coach of the Chiefs says otherwise.:D

We don't need no stinkin' playoffs.

Simply Red
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM

Will you enlighten me? I want to be enlightened.

StcChief
12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd love to see Cohwer here as GM. Carl has long wore out his welcome, find a real construction PM to manage the stadium overhaul.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Will you enlighten me? I want to be enlightened.Yes, of course, let's see...New Nostradamus lost book has been discovered.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Will you enlighten me? I want to be enlightened.

Carl and Herm practice the 'Sound of One Hand Clapping'.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=83268&stc=1&d=1228239650

Constantly.

You are now Enlightened.

Simply Red
12-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes, of course, let's see...New Nostradamus lost book has been discovered.

Thank you.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Thank you. Why certainly.

Actually, there really is a recently discovered book that they believe Nostradamus and his son worked on together.

http://www.entertainmentopia.com/scripts/displayTV.php?id=31

HemiEd
12-02-2008, 11:54 AM
overrated
spit machine
Cordal Stewart still loves him though

The jaw has been over rated, but whoever was responsible at Pittsburgh for continually plugging in new talent, was worth some dough. I would love to have that person pulling strings in KC.

HemiEd
12-02-2008, 11:55 AM

Herm Edwards?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
The jaw has been over rated, but whoever was responsible at Pittsburgh for continually plugging in new talent, was worth some dough. I would love to have that person pulling strings in KC.

I'm glad Jokeland got rid of Kiffin; he was actually whipping them in to shape prior to Davis' usual Douchebaggery.

Buck
12-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Herm Edwards?

Hmmm...

You give the Chargers Herm Edwards and the Chiefs Norv Turner and I think the Chargers are in a better position than the Chiefs...

jidar
12-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Those dumb bastards never should have got rid of Marty.

Rausch
12-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Rausch will fucking kill random strangers...

TrickyNicky
12-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Noooooo. They need to stay the course with Norville. They're heading in the right direction. You can't change horses mid-stream.

chiefsngop
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Clark & Carl working on the successor program for Peterson here in KC.

Millen to be new GM and Norv for HC.

ROFL

Rausch
12-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Chiefs sit spinning while SD hires a proven coach.

Yep.

Time to stare real deep at some scissors during an earthquake...

HemiEd
12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm glad Jokeland got rid of Kiffin; he was actually whipping them in to shape prior to Davis' usual Douchebaggery.

That makes two of us, and the change in San Diego was also a nice move. :D

Reerun_KC
12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
That makes two of us, and the change in San Diego was also a nice move. :D

they are probably saying the same things about us!

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 12:37 PM

I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief the day they canned Marty. And when they hired Turner?
I shit my pants laughing.
Ah yes; see Turner's fine handiwork at play even as we type!

Sterling record, Mr. Rodgers; STERLING.

HemiEd
12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
they are probably saying the same things about us!

Oh hell yes! They are all chipping in to get Herm an extension.

It is no small coincedence that the AFC West is in the toilet.

HemiEd
12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Hmmm...

You give the Chargers Herm Edwards and the Chiefs Norv Turner and I think the Chargers are in a better position than the Chiefs...

Sold!!!! You have won 4 games this year right? Well consider it halved for next year, and each year, until we reach negative numbers. Then, we start rebuilding.

You want balance? How about we make all three parts of your team suck ass, offense, defense and STs. Then we blame it on the players, and say they need to learn.

Oh, and don't forget, we hire Forrest Gump's grandfather, to coach and mentor your QBOTF!

Buck
12-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Sold!!!! You have won 4 games this year right? Well consider it halved for next year, and each year, until we reach negative numbers. Then, we start rebuilding.

You want balance? How about we make all three parts of your team suck ass, offense, defense and STs. Then we blame it on the players, and say they need to learn.

Oh, and don't forget, we hire Forrest Gump's grandfather, to coach and mentor your QBOTF!

Thats fine, and then you guys will be prepared to show up 58 minutes every week, and manage to blow it at the end of every game.

Also, nobody will light a fire under any of the player's asses. I mean they make millions of dollars, and are superstars, they don't deserve to get yelled at.

You will have a new look offense, where instead of Run Run Pass Punt, it will now be Pass, Pass, Pass Punt. THe unfortunate thing about this is that you will have to run the same play 20 times a game, and will probably get picked 3 or 4 times per game.

I'll take Herm.

HemiEd
12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. :eek:

Friendo
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM

:hmmm:

Chiefshrink
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM
If Cowher went to Sandy Eggo, talk about a power struggle. AJ Smith and Cowher would be fighting non-stop. I don't see it happening myself. Cowher to Cleveland is much more likely. Especially if the Browns drop Crennell and Savage.

You are absolutely 100% correct. He will be leading the Browns next season, mark my words.:clap:

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
You are absolutely 100% correct. He will be leading the Browns next season, mark my words.:clap:

yayy....

RealSNR
12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Chiefs sit spinning while SD hires a proven coach.

Yep.

Time to stare real deep at some scissors during an earthquake...To be fair, Dick Vermeil was a proven head coach, too.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 01:54 PM

And you'll still be doing the Shannahan, "Rat-Face Mc Cheese-Eater"-shuffle all the way to inevitable mediocrity.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"As the sands of the hour glass fall,
so are the days of the inevitable
Donko-Downfall approaching".

Bank It!

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 01:57 PM
The last thing this team needs to do is hire another retread, let alone one from the Schottenheimer tree.

Does anyone in this fanbase have vision that extends beyond people already connected to this organization?

People bitch about the good ol' boy network, and then give it their utmost support.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 02:04 PM
The last thing this team needs to do is hire another retread, let alone one from the Schottenheimer tree.

Does anyone in this fanbase have vision that extends beyond people already connected to this organization?

People bitch about the good ol' boy network, and then give it their utmost support.

If the candidate is a worthy, proven head coach, then he can come from the "Verizon Network" for all I care.
Cowher has fire and mojo; two things our current head coach is severely lacking.

boogblaster
12-02-2008, 02:06 PM
That slobberin' bastard better come to KC if he knows whats good for him ...

luv
12-02-2008, 02:07 PM
If the candidate is a worthy, proven head coach, then he can come from the "Verizon Network" for all I care.
Cowher has fire and mojo; two things our current head coach is severely lacking.

I actually agree with Hamas on this one. Yes, we were a good team during the Marty Era, but what good did it do us? While I want to be good again, I want someone who will give us a shot at the SB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I actually agree with Hamas on this one. Yes, we were a good team during the Marty Era, but what good did it do us? While I want to be good again, I want someone who will give us a shot at the SB.

Well, we have two SB-proven coaches on the block:

1) Cowher

2) Holmgen

I'll take item #1 please.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
For 2010, a couple of names to keep your eye on:

1) Todd Haley. Currently serves as AZ's offensive coordinator, prior to that he was the WR coach for three teams and served as Dallas' passing game coordinator. Would be 43 in 2010
2) Turk Schonert. Current Bills OC. He was instrumental in Trent Edwards' Development, serving as the QB coach until 2008, when he took over playcalling duties.
3) Clancy Pendergast. Has done a pretty solid job with AZ's defense, but seems to be a 3-4 guy. If he were flexible enough to implement a 4-3, he'd be a much more likely candidate.
4) Mike Zimmer. Currently Cincy's D coordinator. Lost in the horror of this year of the Bengals is the fact that their defense has actually greatly improved, despite the loss of Justin Smith, and the injury to Keith Rivers. Zimmer served as Parcells' D coordinator in Dallas, and he is running a 4-3 in Cincy, and has experience w/ a 3-4, so he has imagination.
5) Jim Schwartz, Titans. If he's not snatched up this year. Has been with Fisher for many years, and has been quite successful in plugging in stop gaps to form an effective unit. The Titans aren't rife with playmakers outside of Haynesworth and Bulluck, and yet have a very impressive D.

Oh and this team should do everything in its power to bring in Mike Martz as a QB coach in 2010, as we will have a stable of young QBs, and he is aces at developing quarterbacks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Most Chiefs fans are like jilted exes. Instead of seeing the multitude of possibilities around the bend, all they can do is think about their failed past relationships. Then, when they enter the same destructive cycle again, they wonder how it all went awry.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Jim Schwartz :clap:

He is the next great NFL head coach.

RealSNR
12-02-2008, 02:21 PM
For 2010, a couple of names to keep your eye on:

1) Todd Haley. Currently serves as AZ's offensive coordinator, prior to that he was the WR coach for three teams and served as Dallas' passing game coordinator. Would be 43 in 2010
2) Turk Schonert. Current Bills OC. He was instrumental in Trent Edwards' Development, serving as the QB coach until 2008, when he took over playcalling duties.
3) Clancy Pendergast. Has done a pretty solid job with AZ's defense, but seems to be a 3-4 guy. If he were flexible enough to implement a 4-3, he'd be a much more likely candidate.
4) Mike Zimmer. Currently Cincy's D coordinator. Lost in the horror of this year of the Bengals is the fact that their defense has actually greatly improved, despite the loss of Justin Smith, and the injury to Keith Rivers. Zimmer served as Parcells' D coordinator in Dallas, and he is running a 4-3 in Cincy, and has experience w/ a 3-4, so he has imagination.
5) Jim Schwartz, Titans. If he's not snatched up this year. Has been with Fisher for many years, and has been quite successful in plugging in stop gaps to form an effective unit. The Titans aren't rife with playmakers outside of Haynesworth and Bulluck, and yet have a very impressive D.

Oh and this team should do everything in its power to bring in Mike Martz as a QB coach in 2010, as we will have a stable of young QBs, and he is aces at developing quarterbacks.There's no way Martz accepts a QB Coach position. He'd want something bigger. Probably would accept a Gunther-like O-Coordinator/QB Coach dual role, though.

I agree, though. But at this point I'd trust ME to go coach Chiefs QBs more than Penis Curl

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
There's no way Martz accepts a QB Coach position. He'd want something bigger. Probably would accept a Gunther-like O-Coordinator/QB Coach dual role, though.

I agree, though. But at this point I'd trust ME to go coach Chiefs QBs more than Penis Curl

He's going to get fired by SF by the end of the offseason. That will be two shitcannings in as many years.

yeti
12-02-2008, 02:33 PM

Gunther fits the bill we could just promote him...again ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Most Chiefs fans are like jilted exes. Instead of seeing the multitude of possibilities around the bend, all they can do is think about their failed past relationships. Then, when they enter the same destructive cycle again, they wonder how it all went awry.

The only way I want another "defensive-minded" Coach running this team, is if the Cover 2 is like Ebola to the guy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Gunther fits the bill we could just promote him...again ROFL

Gun has NO mojo. Gun has misdirected rage.

talastan
12-02-2008, 03:16 PM
That slobberin' bastard better come to KC if he knows whats good for him ...

ROFL ROFL

Who is the brave person from the Planet to convince Jaws to come back to KC? ROFL