PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Gretz: On The Scouting Trail

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2008, 06:58 PM
On The Scouting Trail (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/on-the-scouting-trail.html)

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr align="left" valign="top"><th>December 4, 2008 - Bob Gretz | </th><th> </th><th>
</th></tr></tbody></table>
In the next week or so, the Chiefs crew of college scouts will all come into headquarters and spend time as a group going over the vast amount of information they they’ve collected during the season.
This is a very “hands on” personnel department, led by Vice President of Player Personnel Bill Kuharich. Along with Chuck Cook, the team’s director of college scouting Kuharich has crisscrossed the country to look at some of the top ranked players that were initially scouted by area scouts: Bruce Lemmerman, Willie Davis, Terry Delp, Cornell Gowdy, Mike Hagen, Matt Littlefield and Greg Olejack.
Kuharich’s travels started back in September and ended only last week with a trip to see the Western Michigan-Ball State game. Overall, he saw 30 different teams all over the country. The most talented team he saw was Southern California, and by talented we mean with the most pro prospects. Oklahoma was second. He did not see Texas, Texas Tech or Florida; Cook handled those assignments.
But after watching hours and hours of tape from those Division 1 programs, here are the top five senior players that Kuharich scouted in person.
Now remember, this is all just one part of the scouting puzzle. He did not include underclassmen because at this time, they have not yet had the opportunity to declare for the NFL Draft. Last year, 17 underclassmen were taken in the first round, so this is by no means is the top of the Chiefs draft board.
At this time, this is for entertainment purposes only, so please, no wagering.
These players are ranked only in the order that Kuharich recalled them when asked the question: name the top five players you saw?
http://www.bobgretz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/120408-2352-onthescouti1.jpg
T Eugene Monroe/Virginia 6-5, 315 pounds.

Last year, he played next to Branden Albert on the left side of the Cavaliers offensive line. This year, he’s had to hold down the left tackle spot without much veteran help next to him. “I think he’s a lot like Branden,” Kuharich said. “He’s very athletic. He’s probably better than Branden at the same stage because he’s played the position (Albert played guard at Virginia). He’s got good feet and he can pass protect.”
http://www.bobgretz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/120408-2352-onthescouti2.jpg
OLB Aaron Curry/Wake Forest 6-2, 246 pounds.

With the Demon Deacons, Curry has racked up 101 total tackles, with 15 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, one interception, three fumbles recovered and one forced fumble. “He’s very athletic and gets to the ball,” said Kuharich. “He’s a little bit straight line, but he has shown some pass rush skills. He plays up tempo. He would be better in the 3-4 defense than the 4-3.”
http://www.bobgretz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/120408-2352-onthescouti3.jpg
ILB Rey Maualuga/Southern Cal 6-2, 260 pounds.

With a game still to play on the schedule, Maualuga has 68 total tackles and two interceptions in the Trojans top-ranked defense. “He’s very athletic, but he’s more physical than the kid from Wake Forest,” Kuharich said. “He’s a tackler, he loves the contact. He has a tendency to miss tackles because he does play out of control. He misses too many tackles for my liking. He’s very physical, he’s very intense and he wants to hurt you.”
http://www.bobgretz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/120408-2352-onthescouti4.jpg
DT B.J. Raja/Boston College 6-1, 325 pounds.

Last year, Raja did not play because of academic reasons and then in the spring he underwent shoulder surgery. But he’s come back and has 33 tackles and seven sacks for the Golden Eagles. “He’s very strong and quick inside,” said Kuharich. “He’s a one year guy after missing last season. He’s a penetrator, more than a line of scrimmage player. He’s good at the point of attack and he can push the pocket.”
http://www.bobgretz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/120408-2352-onthescouti5.jpg
TE Brandon Pettigrew/Oklahoma State 6-6, 260 pounds.

With the Cowboys, Pettigrew has 36 catches for 421 yards and he’s the first tight end in O-State history to have over 100 career receptions; he’s at 106 right now. He missed three games this season with a high ankle sprain. “He’s got the size and his very athletic,” said Kuharich. “He’s a good route runner and he’s a good runner with the ball in his hands after the catch. He’s not an in-line blocker type. He’s more of a receiver.”

dorseybowe
12-04-2008, 06:59 PM
The Great Kuha doesn't like Rey Rey. Hmmm

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Don't believe shit until the pick comes in

BigRock
12-04-2008, 07:04 PM

He did name him as one of the five best players he's seen all year.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
If he really thinks Curry is better than Maualuga I'd call him retarded....and I would seriously hope some of that is tongue in cheek cause BJ Raja cmon.

SAUTO
12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
If he really thinks Curry is better than Maualuga I'd call him retarded....and I would seriously hope some of that is tongue in cheek cause BJ Raja cmon.

he has almost half as many tackles as rey, as a dt.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Look who they're playing with....

Also Brandon Pettegrew has character issues so he may not even go in the 1st round.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2008, 07:24 PM

Great another findthedouchebag clone. Why don't you go look up Trevor Laws' stats at ND and tell us how he'll be better than Sedrick Ellis. Please.

SAUTO
12-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Look who they're playing with....

Also Brandon Pettegrew has character issues so he may not even go in the 1st round.

why dont you call the chiefs, give them your takes, and ask for a job? surely it would be better than what you're doing now

SAUTO
12-04-2008, 07:26 PM
same for ham ass, oh sorry ice ice baby

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:27 PM
If me and Hamas were in charge of Chiefs scouting we could probably do better than the current regime...

SAUTO
12-04-2008, 07:28 PM
If me and Hamas were in charge of Chiefs scouting we could probably do better than the current regime...

ROFL ok

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2008, 07:29 PM
same for ham ass, oh sorry ice ice baby

Fist a garbage disposal.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:29 PM
ROFL ok

It's not like it would be hard...if you haven't noticed the Chiefs draft history is pretty subpar.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:30 PM
3 of his 5 players are from the ACC...that's bizarre.

Atleast he knows that SC does have the most pro talent...so maybe we'll get some SC players on the team this year.

SAUTO
12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Fist a garbage disposal.

why dont you go fuck oneROFL

Molitoth
12-04-2008, 07:34 PM
F*ck me if they draft another TE.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:35 PM

The thing with this is Pettigrew likely won't even be the first TE picked...he just can't talk about underclassmen and he seems to have watched more ACC teams than anything else.

the Talking Can
12-04-2008, 07:37 PM
He’s very physical, he’s very intense and he wants to hurt you.”

nice

58-4ever
12-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Pettigrew may be the third best TE in the Big 12.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Pettigrew may be the third best TE in the Big 12.

He won't discuss Gresham cause he's an underclassman.....Pettigrew will likely be drafted ahead of Coffman for measurables reasons.

SAUTO
12-04-2008, 07:45 PM
ILB Rey Maualuga/Southern Cal 6-2, 260 pounds.

. He has a tendency to miss tackles because he does play out of control. He misses too many tackles for my liking.
QUOTE]

[QUOTE=the Talking Can;5270394]nice

funny how you glossed RIGHT over THIS

the Talking Can
12-04-2008, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Tribal Warfare;5270340 [B]ILB Rey Maualuga/Southern Cal 6-2, 260 pounds.

. He has a tendency to miss tackles because he does play out of control. He misses too many tackles for my liking.
QUOTE]

funny how you glossed RIGHT over THIS

yes, i can read you fucking dipshit...i just liked his description, that was all...a harmless comment

turn it off, you fucking douche bag

you really are a WPI quality poster...you should go there, and stay

SAUTO
12-04-2008, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=JASONSAUTO;5270402]

yes, i can read you fucking dipshit...i just liked his description, that was all...a harmless comment

turn it off, you fucking douche bag

you really are a WPI quality poster...you should go there, and stay

hey i say harmless comments on my opinions alot and you choose to talk shit. maybe YOU should go back to where you came from(the can i presume) because you, like the can, are FULL OF SHIT

Infidel Goat
12-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Kiper (*chortle*) had Curry at the top of his board at one point.

Wake Forest is my team--and even I'll admit that he's more of a middle of the first round type of guy...

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:53 PM
So Jason do you just hate all the prospects people like....you know Stafford then Maualuga...

Mecca
12-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Kiper (*chortle*) had Curry at the top of his board at one point.

Wake Forest is my team--and even I'll admit that he's more of a middle of the first round type of guy...

Curry got on the map last year because he had something stupid like 4 INT's returned for TD's.....I don't think he sucks I just don't see him as an elite prospect.

dirk digler
12-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Out of those players I can't believe he would list a TE and a one year wonder at DT.

If they blow another 1st round pick on a DT I will be pissed.

SAUTO
12-04-2008, 07:57 PM
So Jason do you just hate all the prospects people like....you know Stafford then Maualuga...

no i dont "hate" rey hell i'm all for drafting him. just dont gloss over things, lay it all out there. stafford IMO has some issues, and i think his stock may fall some after the workouts cycle through. he will still be drafted high(the top rated QBs ALWAYS do) BUT IMO the chiefs would be much farther ahead in this rebuild if thigpen can somehow become "the guy"

and for the record i was just fucking with the can

Chief Chief
12-04-2008, 08:41 PM

DITTO DAT!!!

beach tribe
12-04-2008, 09:06 PM
no i dont "hate" rey hell i'm all for drafting him. just dont gloss over things, lay it all out there. stafford IMO has some issues, and i think his stock may fall some after the workouts cycle through. he will still be drafted high(the top rated QBs ALWAYS do) BUT IMO the chiefs would be much farther ahead in this rebuild if thigpen can somehow become "the guy"

and for the record i was just ****ing with the can

Funny how you get into some shit with someone in every thread you enter.

There is a common denominator here.

KcMizzou
12-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I read that as, "Gretz: On Scouting Tail"

Too many Simply Red threads recently.

Zouk
12-04-2008, 09:27 PM

Atleast he knows that SC does have the most pro talent...so maybe we'll get some SC players on the team this year.

He said he's only seen 30 teams in person - and we know that excludes Florida and Texas - but includes the 2 MAC teams he saw last week. He probably saw a good number of ACC games.

That factor plus the fact that he has to exclude juniors means this is a limited list.

ChiefsCountry
12-04-2008, 09:46 PM

I hate the ACC. Vermeil and company lived there and the Big East when came to drafting and look where it left them. I know we hit on Albert and Flowers but the ACC scares me, SEC is where we need to be that and along with USC.

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I hate the ACC. Vermeil and company lived there and the Big East when came to drafting and look where it left them. I know we hit on Albert and Flowers but the ACC scares me, SEC is where we need to be that and along with USC.

KC has also hit SEC hard too

KChiefs1
12-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I still believe Chase Coffman is going to be a great pro....he could be had in the 3rd round...I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on a TE.

chiefzilla1501
12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
It's not like it would be hard...if you haven't noticed the Chiefs draft history is pretty subpar.

Not recent history.

El Jefe
12-05-2008, 10:19 AM
He's in love with the ACC, there are some very good prospects in the Big 10 also. I haven't payed that close of attention, but I don't see Rey Rey miss that many tackles. I don't watch them every week though, Mecca care to chime in on the missing tackles statement. Bernard Pollard likes to hurt people also, but he misses a lot, and I would rather have a sure tackler.

chiefzilla1501
12-05-2008, 10:33 AM
He's in love with the ACC, there are some very good prospects in the Big 10 also. I haven't payed that close of attention, but I don't see Rey Rey miss that many tackles. I don't watch them every week though, Mecca care to chime in on the missing tackles statement. Bernard Pollard likes to hurt people also, but he misses a lot, and I would rather have a sure tackler.

Yes, there sure are. I think Laurinaitis will be grossly undervalued, as he's played behind two horrendous tackles all season. If Beanie can stay healthy, the kid is going to be a stud. Penn State's got a few really good receivers that will undoubtedly be undervalued. ALso, much as Curtis Painter sucks, you have to start wondering if Purdue is putting something in their kool-aid, because it's starting to become an NFL QB factory.

Some great prospects. I'd want the Chiefs to at least look at Laurinaitis, who could be a great fit in a Tampa 2 defense (as I said before, you have to decide if your top priority is to stop the run--get Maualuga, or to stop the pass--Laurinaitis. Both are really good at one thing, but not the other). And I'd definitely like the Chiefs to take a long look at some of the receivers out of Penn State for the 3rd round and beyond.

milkman
12-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Yes, there sure are. I think Laurinaitis will be grossly undervalued, as he's played behind two horrendous tackles all season. If Beanie can stay healthy, the kid is going to be a stud. Penn State's got a few really good receivers that will undoubtedly be undervalued. ALso, much as Curtis Painter sucks, you have to start wondering if Purdue is putting something in their kool-aid, because it's starting to become an NFL QB factory.

Some great prospects. I'd want the Chiefs to at least look at Laurinaitis, who could be a great fit in a Tampa 2 defense (as I said before, you have to decide if your top priority is to stop the run--get Maualuga, or to stop the pass--Laurinaitis. Both are really good at one thing, but not the other). And I'd definitely like the Chiefs to take a long look at some of the receivers out of Penn State for the 3rd round and beyond.

I'm not too high on Laurenitus, and at the beginning of the season, ther wasn't anyone higher on Maualuga than me.

But as the season has progressed, I have become completely enamored of Brandon Spikes.

I think the guy has the speed to cover the deep middle, run sideline to sideline, and bring the wood.

I just think that kid has the potential to bring the best of what both Maualuga and Laurenitus bring.

RealSNR
12-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Stick with the profile.

Either his name is Brandon or his dad knows Carl/Herm somehow. Everyone else GTFO

milkman
12-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Stick with the profile.

Either his name is Brandon or his dad knows Carl/Herm somehow. Everyone else GTFO

Brandon Spikes FTW!