PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Team making changes

Tribal Warfare
12-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Chiefs notebook: Team making changes (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/923045.html)

Changes made for a reason

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards used the examples of this week’s move of Derrick Johnson to middle linebacker and the recent switch to the spread as the base offensive formation as evidence the Chiefs are trying to make the most of what’s left in the season.

“That’s the great thing about our football team,” Edwards said. “We’re finding out about a lot of different players. We have a staff that’s flexible enough to change. We don’t get stuck into saying, ‘This is what we’re going to do.’ I always say you build your team around the players that you have.

“Sometimes when you have some injuries and things don’t go your way, you’ve got to switch. We did that on offense. This is just another way to flip it and gather some more information about certain players so we can make some good decisions when the season is over with.”

Chiefs looking out for the rookie

Edwards indicated the Chiefs are probably finished with any major lineup switches. During the preseason the Chiefs intended to play rookie DaJuan Morgan a lot at safety. Though he’s played some, Morgan has been involved mostly on special teams.

“He’s probably not playing as much as we’d like,” Edwards said. “But there are some reasons for that. He was a junior coming out. He’s like Bernard (Pollard) was in his first year. We’re trying to bring him along slower like we did with Bernard his first year.

“We think he’s going to be a good football player. He’s played some, probably not as much as he would like. And, then again, he’s been (injured). He was (injured) with the hand for a while and he had a (sore) hamstring, too. He’s going through the growing pains of playing in this league.”

Bradley added to injury report

The Chiefs said wide receiver Mark Bradley, who has a sore calf, did not practice. Bradley had participated in practice the day before.

Four players moved from limited to full participation: defensive end Tamba Hali, offensive linemen Rudy Niswanger and Wade Smith and linebacker Pat Thomas. Linebacker Donnie Edwards and cornerback Patrick Surtain again did not practice and guard Adrian Jones was again limited.

dorseybowe
12-05-2008, 02:05 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DyooALwfxO8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DyooALwfxO8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 02:10 AM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

That is GREAT!

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 03:16 AM
Could this be yet another piece of the "Bring the outside pass-rush back"-puzzle falling in to place?

Consider this:

Ever since the Denver game, I've had conversations with other fans elsewhere who agreed with me that if ever there were a time to create a "meritocracy" within this team, that time is now. We felt Herb did a fantastic job coming in for Albert, and we felt his performance had earned him a shot as a starter on the line, albeit at a different spot than Albert.

Now, as it relates to the matter at hand; we know DJ has been hit and miss at the position he is vacating. It is my opinion that his upcoming "cross-training" will benefit him immensely if and when he returns to that spot. It's the old "walk a mile in another man's shoes"-trip, and I support this move completely.
Now here's where it get's interesting.
We love BP because when the guy finally sniffs out his target and executes in time; the result is Glorious! Those hits are what you, I, and BP LIVE FOR.
It's true Chiefs Defense, and it's a level of play we crave and wish to all that is Holy will show up every game.
The problem, as one member here pointed out after the Jokeland game, is that it's BP's hesitation in "sniffing out" and zeroing-in on that target that has a tendency to create problems. I have a possible solution.
Since we're shifting personnel around for evaluation and/or shits and giggles, I propose the following:

What would happen if we gave Bernard Pollard one target, and one target only to destroy?
Just one little fella' for ol' BP to pursue and inflict maximum damage upon every play, every time.
Enticing, yes?
A little bit of light beginning to form around the frame of the doorway, yes?

This transition could prove to be a valuable key to unlocking the potential of a guy who loves being a Chief, and just want's to do the best job he can.

Try DJ running SS, Leggitt running FS, and whoever-the-hell lining up on the left side for now.
If the Chiefs are going to experiment with some different options, this is one experiment I would love to see.
After all, what do we have to lose?

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Could this be yet another piece of the "Bring the outside pass-rush back"-puzzle falling in to place?

Consider this:

Ever since the Denver game, I've had conversations with other fans elsewhere who agreed with me that if ever there were a time to create a "meritocracy" within this team, that time is now. We felt Herb did a fantastic job coming in for Albert, and we felt his performance had earned him a shot as a starter on the line, albeit at a different spot than Albert.

Now, as it relates to the matter at hand; we know DJ has been hit and miss at the position he is vacating. It is my opinion that his upcoming "cross-training" will benefit him immensely if and when he returns to that spot. It's the old "walk a mile in another man's shoes"-trip, and I support this move completely.
We love BP because when the guy finally sniffs out his target and executes in time; the result is Glorious! Those hits are what you, I, and BP LIVE FOR.
It's true Chiefs Defense, and it's a level of play we crave and wish to all that is Holy will show up every game.
The problem, as one member here pointed out after the Jokeland game, is that it's BP's hesitation in "sniffing out" and zeroing-in on that target that has a tendency to create problems. I have a possible solution.
Since we're shifting personnel around for evaluation and/or shits and giggles, I propose the following:

What would happen if we gave Bernard Pollard one target, and one target only to destroy?
Just one little fella' for ol' BP to pursue and inflict maximum damage upon every play, every time.
Enticing, yes?

This transition could prove to be a valuable key to unlocking the potential of a guy who loves being a Chief, and just want's to do the best job he can.

Try DJ running SS, Leggitt running FS, and whoever-the-hell lining up on the left side for now.
If the Chiefs are going to experiment with some different options, this is one experiment I would love to see.

You just wasted a whole lot of finger movement in this ridiculous post.

BTW, BP is worse than Wesley when it come to laying a pig hit one play, and totally missing a guy the next. I don't give a shit about a huge hit, especially when half the time the guy just gets knocked back a yard, and keeps running, because Bernard Pollard can't wrap up for shit.
Give me a sure tackler any day of the week.

Red Beans
12-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Give Bonecrusher one target? Hmmm. Could be a Patriot missile, could turn into a Scud...but undoubtedly the guy can freakin hit so we'll see. Hell, I'm not sure I've even heard Morgans named called this year so it'll be nice to see what he's got.

Nero's Neptune
12-05-2008, 07:24 AM
"We don’t get stuck into saying, ‘This is what we’re going to do.’ I always say you build your team around the players that you have."

Herm Edwards said that???? The cover-2, I am Tony Dungy, Herm Edwards? The game plan for weeks on end and come out and run LJ up the middle, Herm Edwards said that? LMFAO

PhillyChiefFan
12-05-2008, 07:47 AM
I don't give a shit about a huge hit, especially when half the time the guy just gets knocked back a yard, and keeps running, because Bernard Pollard can't wrap up for shit.

This.

MOhillbilly
12-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Give Bonecrusher one target? Hmmm. Could be a Patriot missile, could turn into a Scud...but undoubtedly the guy can freakin hit so we'll see. Hell, I'm not sure I've even heard Morgans named called this year so it'll be nice to see what he's got.

B.P. aint shit. bunch of hype.

RedThat
12-05-2008, 08:49 AM

Consider this:

Enticing, yes?

:spock: DJ at SS?

RedThat
12-05-2008, 08:51 AM
This team should just cut Surtain and D.Edwards. They are both old and just keep getting injured.

MOhillbilly
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
This team should just cut Surtain and D.Edwards. They are both old and just keep getting injured.

agreed.

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 09:06 AM

And this dumb shit from a guy who questioned the football acumen of the planet.

MVChiefFan
12-05-2008, 09:25 AM

I bet Edwards retires. I don't know why but I just have a feeling.

El Jefe
12-05-2008, 09:45 AM

BTW, BP is worse than Wesley when it come to laying a pig hit one play, and totally missing a guy the next. I don't give a shit about a huge hit, especially when half the time the guy just gets knocked back a yard, and keeps running, because Bernard Pollard can't wrap up for shit.

QFT.

Hootie
12-05-2008, 09:50 AM

ROFLROFLROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 11:56 AM

The Quarterback,
The Quarterback,
The Quarterback,
The Quarterback!

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
The Quarterback,
The Quarterback,
The Quarterback,
The Quarterback!

Pollard needs to hit the bench with his ass cheeks.

I'm sick of watching his Wesley impersonation. FTR I was poised to make Pollard my favorite Chief. I truly though he was going to be special. I was wrong.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 11:59 AM

He's going in to the box, put him wherever the hell you please.

The POINT is, put Pollard and someone else on the left side at OLB, and see if he can produce.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 12:05 PM

You know what? Your absolutely right; our defense is SO fucking stellar as-is, why mess with a good thing?
We've already got a magnificent, up the middle pass-rush for the ages, so let's not mess with perfection.:bravo::thumb:

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Pollard needs to hit the bench with his ass cheeks.

I'm sick of watching his Wesley impersonation. FTR I was poised to make Pollard my favorite Chief. I truly though he was going to be special. I was wrong.

You want to just give up on, and bench our hardest hitter.

Yeah; I'm gonna' let my associate handle this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

OnTheWarpath15
12-05-2008, 12:23 PM

What good is a hard hit if it doesn't result in a tackle?

Until he learns to wrap the fuck up, take better angles and quit biting on play-action fakes, then he's really nothing more than a stopgap safety and ST guy.

PunkinDrublic
12-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I wish Teicher would make a change and quit his sportswriting gig.

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 12:27 PM

He rarely even lays a hit though. Maybe you should go check out the Denver game, and watch as he bounces off an unaware 185 lb Eddie Royal. Then Eddie runs another 10 yards, and is tackled by someone else, because Pollard NEVER wraps up. He's a shitty tackler. I really hope he gets it figured out, or we're gonna need a new SS.

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 12:28 PM

Until he learns to wrap the **** up, take better angles and quit biting on play-action fakes, then he's really nothing more than a stopgap safety and ST guy.

Exactly, he is a Wesley clone. Big hitter, who does everything else at an inadequate level.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 12:31 PM
In this particular hypothetical, the tackling is not as important as the ability to hit hard and strip the ball.

Or in BP's case, smash the fuck out of the QB and watch it go flying through the air.

OnTheWarpath15
12-05-2008, 12:32 PM
In this particular hypothetical, the tackling is not as important as the ability to hit hard and strip the ball.

Or in BP's case, smash the fuck out of the QB and watch it go flying through the air.

Just wow.

:spock:

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Or in BP's case, smash the **** out of the QB and watch it go flying through the air.

Tell you what, why don't we list the players BP has really lit up.

I'll go. The guy form the Raiders who was hit by BP after he fumbled the ball, and ...............**crickets**

He actually has a rep for being a hard hitter, but can't even Knock down Eddie Royal with a free shot....

Hitting is his biggest attribute, and I don't think he's ever even forced a fumble that I can remember.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 12:39 PM
SNAFU.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Just wow.

:spock:

Wow WHAT?!

He's not good at his current position, so fuck around while we're young and have only two wins under our belt, and see what he can do, if anything.

And need I remind you that this defense pretty much sucks except for Red Zone stands?
WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE?

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Wow WHAT?!

He's not good at his current position, so **** around while we're young and have only two wins under our belt, and see what he can do, if anything.

And need I remind you that this defense pretty much sucks except for Red Zone stands?
WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE?

Still waiting for any memorable hits by the "bone crusher*

Let's face it. If he didn't have that nickname, he probably wouldn't have a rep for hitting.

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Wow WHAT?!

He's not good at his current position, so **** around while we're young and have only two wins under our belt, and see what he can do, if anything.

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE?

You come out, and say that your hypothetical doesn't call for tackling. If your on the field with the starting D. You better be able to tackle, and if Pollard doesn't learn how soon, he's gonna be decent depth.

penguinz
12-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Darth CarlSatan is a joke right?

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Darth CarlSatan is a joke right?

No, but yes.

DaneMcCloud
12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
These moves are all about the draft.

If DJ lights it up in the middle, the Chiefs go with Curry.

If DJ isn't adequate in the middle, the Chiefs draft Maualuga.

If DJ lights it up but Morgan sucks, the Chiefs may look at Mays.

It seems to me that they're just doing their due diligence.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Sounds good to me.

Shaid
12-05-2008, 09:17 PM

Consider this:

Enticing, yes?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQCU36pkH7c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQCU36pkH7c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Crank it up, you half a bitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjaIsFvSN5o&feature=related

chiefzilla1501
12-06-2008, 12:47 AM

Until he learns to wrap the **** up, take better angles and quit biting on play-action fakes, then he's really nothing more than a stopgap safety and ST guy.

And until we get a new defensive coordinator who isn't obsessed with safeties playing far into the box and overpursuing plays, this will never happen.

I don't think Pollard is horrible. I like that he hits hard when trying to light up a receiver. But I hate that he tries to light players up on a tackle. I think you put a kill shot on a receiver trying to catch a ball, but when it comes to tackling in the open field, just make the tackle. You don't win style points for laying a big hit.

milkman
12-06-2008, 09:09 AM

QFT

StcChief
12-06-2008, 09:33 AM

yeah. Due diligence and move guys around on D is right approach. Glad to Chiefs thinking out side the box finally.....