PDA

View Full Version : Football The spread offense

luv
12-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Stupid question time. What is it? Why is it known as a gimmick offense? Why do you think it works? Why not?

Deberg_1990
12-06-2008, 11:54 AM
This thread might help you out some:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197865

luv
12-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I seem to be the queen of repost lately. I saw that, but I didn't realize that was a spread offense. Thanks.

Huffman83
12-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Here's a link for the overall idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_offense

I think the reason why it has been frowned upon is because you don't have to have a typical tall QB for the offense to work. I've read that the NFL may very well just have to deal w/ the spread because that's what colleges are using. Otherwise the QB talent is getting thin as far as under the C Qb's go.

TRR
12-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't mind the spread offense. I think it allows the QB to see the field better, and gives the O Line less time to hold blocks because the QB is getting the ball out quicker.

However, I do wish that Gailey would get rid of the I-Gun formation, and would install some more runs from under center, and possibly some play action to mix it up.

Buehler445
12-06-2008, 12:24 PM
It gets kind of convoluted. What won't work in the NFL is the zone read shit. But spreading people out and trying to get some isolation does work. See 2007 Patriots.

teedubya
12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=what+is+the+spread+offense%3F

beach tribe
12-06-2008, 12:56 PM
It gets kind of convoluted. What won't work in the NFL is the zone read shit. But spreading people out and trying to get some isolation does work. See 2007 Patriots.

This.

beach tribe
12-06-2008, 12:58 PM
The spread is coming. I would wager that a third of the NFL will be running a spread heavy offense 5 yrs from now. I think scoring is going to go through the roof, and even more teams will go to it.

milkman
12-06-2008, 01:08 PM
This.

What is that about?

milkman
12-06-2008, 01:09 PM
The spread is coming. I would wager that a third of the NFL will be running a spread heavy offense 5 yrs from now. I think scoring is going to go through the roof, and even more teams will go to it.

The spread will make speed at LB and safety even more important than it already is.

luv
12-06-2008, 01:10 PM
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=what+is+the+spread+offense%3F

Heaven forbid I should let any of you show off some football knowledge. I probably would be better looking up for myself.

milkman
12-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Heaven forbid I should let any of you show off some football knowledge. I probably would be better looking up for myself.

I answered your original question in the Madden thread.

The easiest, most basic explanation of the spread is it's an offense that uses the shotgun with 3 to 5 receivers to spread out the defense.

The problem with trying to explain it is that there are mulitple variations of the spread.

I wasn't trying to dismiss you, or the question.

It's just complex and diverse, and frankly, I suck at teaching.

luv
12-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I answered your original question in the Madden thread.

I wasn't trying to dismiss you, or the question.

It's just complex and diverse, and frankly, I suck at teaching.

Yeah. I thought we could elaborate a little more in a thread of it's own. I just wanted to pose some questions. Why is it a gimmick offense? Because it will only work temporarily? Why do some people on here think it works, while others don't? Stuff like that.

milkman
12-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah. I thought we could elaborate a little more in a thread of it's own. I just wanted to pose some questions. Why is it a gimmick offense? Because it will only work temporarily? Why do some people on here think it works, while others don't? Stuff like that.

The thing is that the spread in the passing game basically creates seams in the middle of the field for the QB and receivers to exploit, but the feeling is that the speed of today's NFL LBs and secondary can negate the effectiveness.

It also limits the running game to some extent, and that can be problematic in short yardage and red zone situations.

ExtremeChief
12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
The thing is that the spread in the passing game basically creates seams in the middle of the field for the QB and receivers to exploit, but the feeling is that the speed of today's NFL LBs and secondary can negate the effectiveness.

It also limits the running game to some extent, and that can be problematic in short yardage and red zone situations.

No better example of the problems with the spread in the red zone than Mizzou.

Chris Meck
12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
If your personnel is all small, quick receivers, then you bet you're going to have problems in goal line and short yardage situations.

If you have some big, physical wideouts and TE's (ala Bowe, Bradley, Tony G, Cottam) that can make some room in tight coverage it's fine. In fact, it's THE WAY that you can create space since your verticle space is compromised by the back of the endzone.

that being said, nobody says you have to 'spread' out 100% of the time.

I think people make a way bigger deal of this than need be. There's nothing revolutionary about a 3 wide, shotgun formation. See 1980's Chargers, 1990's Bills, etc.