PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs No more TD Pack Band at Arrowhead

ILChief
12-09-2008, 06:48 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/703/story/928611.html

Compliments of Carl D. Peterson, LTGMIPS

Chiefs_Fan
12-09-2008, 06:53 AM
That sucks, it wont be the same without them.

Saulbadguy
12-09-2008, 07:02 AM
That's a shame, we won't get to hear the same 2 songs that they play every game.

BigRedChief
12-09-2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/928611.html

DiPardo’s band ending longtime engagement at Arrowhead
By LISA GUTIERREZ
The Kansas City Star

Call it “the day live music died” at Arrowhead Stadium.

The TD Pack Band, originated by Tony DiPardo in 1963, will play its last Chiefs home game on Dec. 21.

Patti DiPardo Livergood, the band’s director and founder Tony’s daughter, broke the news to band members Monday.

She said her first inkling that the end of a tradition was at hand came last spring when she saw the architectural drawings for the new Arrowhead.

“There wasn’t a bandstand in the east end zone anymore,” she said. “At first I just wanted to think it was an oversight.”

But it wasn’t. The Chiefs couldn’t commit to anything beyond this season because they don’t know what remodeling changes will be made to the part of the stadium where the band sits, team officials said Monday.

“Tony is part of the fabric of the Kansas City Chiefs, as well as the Kansas City community,” said Bill Newman, senior vice president of administration for the team. “We want to pay tribute to Tony, and we want to do it this year.”

A stadium fixture

Enormous affection surrounds the 96-year-old DiPardo — known as “Mr. Music” — not only at Arrowhead but also in the community. The man who wrote “The Hank Stram Polka” will have a permanent place in the team’s new Hall of Honor, part of the renovations under way at the Truman Sports Complex, Chiefs officials said Monday. More details will be released at a later date.

“It saddens me, mostly for Tony,” said Craig Fuchs, who played trumpet in the band for 13 seasons and now leads the music department at Pittsburg State University.

“You can’t find a better supporter and friend of the Chiefs than Tony DiPardo. It’s the passing of a generation. It’s run its course, I guess. But it won’t be the same without him.”

Even after his daughter took over the band about 20 years ago, DiPardo remained a fixture at the stadium for every home game. Much of this year, though, he has been ill. DiPardo slipped on ice outside his home late last year and broke his wrist.

His recovery was more difficult than his family had hoped, and even after his recovery, he could only stay through the first quarter at most games. Newman said that Chiefs officials had also been concerned about DiPardo’s health.

The band, eight professional musicians who sit in the east end zone, plays before and during the game — when the team breaks huddles, when first downs are made, after great runs. The rest of the music at Arrowhead is recorded.

DiPardo Livergood said she “just knew it was going to be a matter of time … when the days of having our band play during the game would soon be out of the mix. I just knew there was going to be an emphasis on the new.”

She got her confirmation a few weeks ago, she said, when Chiefs President and General Manager Carl Peterson called her. He told her this year would be the band’s last, she said. “I said, ‘OK, it’s been a great ride.’ ”

Both father and daughter, in an interview Monday at their Lake Winnebago home, said they wanted to be positive about the change.

“We have been very fortunate,” she said. “Not a lot of people can say they’ve done what we’ve done.”

Said her father: “I’ll have memories as long as I’m alive. I’ve always felt it was a great honor. And I’m very proud.”

Screenplay in works

To this day DiPardo’s band occupies a league of its own in the NFL, where most teams entertain fans with recorded music.

The founder of the Chiefs, the late Lamar Hunt, hired DiPardo with a handshake in 1963, when the team’s first band was called the Zing Band. Lots of horns and brass were played by guys in suits and ties.

Hunt and DiPardo forged a close friendship, and, at a game a few weeks after Hunt died in 2006, DiPardo performed “Taps” on his signature Chiefs-red trumpet.

The band played at the Chiefs’ first home at Municipal Stadium and moved with the team to Arrowhead, where Hunt made sure a special place for the band was built behind the field goal in the east end zone.

It is a priceless perch, so close to the field that band members can grab the ball after a field-goal kick. Earlier this season, Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson ran into the band’s space and banged on DiPardo Livergood’s conga drums after scoring a touchdown.

DiPardo Livergood, who plans to write a screenplay about her father’s life — she wants Joe Pesci to portray him — said she would keep the band together to play at private parties and other events.

And it will keep the name.

“Just because we are no longer at Arrowhead,” she said, “the spirit of the TD Pack Band will continue on.”

1963: The year it all began

•The Chiefs begin their first season in Kansas City by beating Denver 59-7, but finish at 5-7-2.

•President John F. Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas.

•Martin Luther King delivers his “I Have a Dream” speech.

•U.S. unemployment reaches 6.1 percent.

•A U.S. postage stamp costs 4 cents.

•“Lawrence of Arabia” wins the Oscar for best picture.

•Julia Child, “The French Chef,” debuts on public television.

Auld lang syne at Arrowhead

•Tony DiPardo and his TD Pack Band will be honored at a ceremony on Dec. 21 when the Kansas City Chiefs play the Miami Dolphins.

•E-mail may be sent to DiPardo at: tonybestwishes@aol.com.

•To contact Patti Dipardo Livergood about the band, send e-mail to: dipardomusic@aol.com.

tomahawk kid
12-09-2008, 07:10 AM
I love Tony as much as the next Chiefs fan, and especially admire the fact that the TD Pack Band has been part of the gameday experience since the team moved here in 1963.

Having said that, this is probably long overdue. Not trying to be cruel here, but his daughter is just awful. If I hear that "original" song "Give a Cheer for Kansas City" again I think I might wretch.

I imagine Tony's ailing health probably gave the Chiefs an excuse to end this without much ado.

BigRedChief
12-09-2008, 07:24 AM
They need to change the whole pre-game schtick. It's old and dated.

tomahawk kid
12-09-2008, 07:28 AM

Couldn't agree more.

It was great in about 1995........

InChiefsHeaven
I only go to Arrowhead once a year, so I was far from being sick of them. I thought it was kinda cool and nostalgic. So, now what...hip hop bullshit between plays?

...lovely. Oh well, time marches on.

Dartgod
I love Tony as much as the next Chiefs fan, and especially admire the fact that the TD Pack Band has been part of the gameday experience since the team moved here in 1963.

Having said that, this is probably long overdue. Not trying to be cruel here, but his daughter is just awful. If I hear that "original" song "Give a Cheer for Kansas City" again I think I might wretch.

I imagine Tony's ailing health probably gave the Chiefs an excuse to end this without much ado.
I tend to agree. Yeah, it's tradition and all, but I don't think they really add to the game day experience any more. I can't say I'll miss them.

Old Dog
12-09-2008, 07:34 AM
[URL] he could only stay through the first quarter at most games.

There are many fans who have that same issue over the past couple of years.

Chief Chief
12-09-2008, 07:47 AM
DiPardo Livergood, who plans to write a screenplay about her father’s life — she wants Joe Pesci to portray him — said she would keep the band together to play at private parties and other events.

Here's part of the script:

Tony DiPardo: "Hey! Are you laughin' at me?!?!!"

Carl Peterson (portrayed by Clint Eastwood): "No, punk! Now...go ahead: Make my day and blow on that damn trumpet of yours!"

And...SCENE!!

EyePod
12-09-2008, 07:48 AM
There are many fans who have that same issue over the past couple of years.

I think his problem was health related... although trying to hold down vomit because your team sucks the big balls so bad might also count as a health related problem...

Phobia
12-09-2008, 07:52 AM

I think most people will agree. This move may alienate a couple of blue-hair STH. Everybody else thinks it's about 15 years overdue.

cdcox
12-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Was DiPardo the person associated with the Chiefs with the longest tenure, since Lamar's death and Steadman's retirement?

pr_capone
12-09-2008, 07:58 AM
I think most people will agree. This move may alienate a couple of blue-hair STH. Everybody else thinks it's about 15 years overdue.

THIS

jiveturkey
12-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Now get rid of the raccoon and bring back the horse riding Indian. And make it a hot Indian chick this time.

BigChiefFan
12-09-2008, 08:20 AM
My heart goes out to Tony D...while I think the TD Pack band was definitely dated< it's tugging at my heart, knowing an end of an era has come and Tony D won't be part of the gameday experience anymore. Best of luck, Tony D.

BigRedChief
12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Now get rid of the raccoon and bring back the horse riding Indian. And make it a hot Indian chick this time.
Cool idea but so politically incorrect it will never happen.

Brock
12-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I don't really care about the band, but this place is going to be just another McStadium before it's over.

Reerun_KC
12-09-2008, 08:55 AM

My Kids always thought it was a rat. It took them years trying to figure out how a rat and the Chiefs are associated....

Old Dog
12-09-2008, 09:01 AM
My Kids always thought it was a rat. It took them years trying to figure out how a rat and the Chiefs are associated....

The "rat bastard" that is the GM???

Deberg_1990
12-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't really care about the band, but this place is going to be just another McStadium before it's over.

Oh, i dont know. I mean, i think the Chiefs did the right thing in going with the renovation over building an entirely new stadium.

It will still be a little mix of the old with a bunch of new.

Reerun_KC
12-09-2008, 09:08 AM
The "rat bastard" that is the GM???

ROFL

Of course!

But on a serious note, the LAST time I was at Arrowhead was DV's last year 2005. I thought then that the music from the band was okay, but the gameday music was just pathetic, Way to much Ozzy, which Ozzy is okay, but not the same damn song Crazy Train, which is severaly over played on any shitty rock station.

The rap got annoying, but I guess it is all the rage at stadiums now days... The music between plays, etc, was all ripped off from the Dallas Cowboys, It felt more like Texas Stadium than Arrowhead...

The fans need something fresh, from the GM to HC all the way down to the gameday music...

The product in KC is stale about 15 years too stale....

luv
12-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Totally agree. I wouldn't mind the band if they got a different singer and a few new songs.

luv
12-09-2008, 09:15 AM

The Chiefs weren't named after indian chiefs, were they? Wasn't it that the mayor or someone was called Chief, and since he played a role in getting the team here, they decided to call them the Chiefs after him? Or am I way off base?

Bob Dole
12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/88hQPXEnJDM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/88hQPXEnJDM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Brock
12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Oh, i dont know. I mean, i think the Chiefs did the right thing in going with the renovation over building an entirely new stadium.

It will still be a little mix of the old with a bunch of new.

And "the new" will be "a bunch of new PSL holders".

StcChief
12-09-2008, 09:40 AM
And "the new" will be "a bunch of new PSL holders".that's now a dieing breed in STL. alot have dumped them or just sell and attempt to recover costs, give to clients.... but their bandwaggoners.....

hope the Chiefs don't turn their fans into STL bums.

EyePod
12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/88hQPXEnJDM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

He got a nice fine for that stupidity, 10K apparently.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/24/chris-johnsons-gig-costs-10000/

jiveturkey
12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
The Chiefs weren't named after indian chiefs, were they? Wasn't it that the mayor or someone was called Chief, and since he played a role in getting the team here, they decided to call them the Chiefs after him? Or am I way off base?
That sounds right.

Bob Dole
12-09-2008, 09:46 AM

H. Roe Bartle. "The Chief"

CoMoChief
12-09-2008, 09:54 AM
We should just play nothing but Soulja Boy instead now after they're gone.

Warrior5
12-09-2008, 09:57 AM
As much as I love traditions, I agree that this needed to happen. The only thing that annoys me more than the constant hip-hop music is the TD Band, especially when she sings.

And I also agree that bringing back the Indian on Warpaint would be awesome, but the inevitable PC lawsuits make that impossible.

Dartgod
12-09-2008, 09:57 AM
The Chiefs weren't named after indian chiefs, were they? Wasn't it that the mayor or someone was called Chief, and since he played a role in getting the team here, they decided to call them the Chiefs after him? Or am I way off base?That sounds right.

H. Roe Bartle. "The Chief"
The mere fact that you do not associate CHIEFS, ARROWHEAD, ETC with AMERICAN INDIANS is silly. Wake up to the racism, you breed! You cannot make this world a better place by supporting racism. /Falstaff

Dayze
12-09-2008, 10:59 AM
thank god. I hate the little 1 measure 'tunes' after a play; and can't stand it when they ruin good songs by trying to cover them.

The only thnig more annoying is Denver's "IN-COM-PLETE" gayness.

dirk digler
12-09-2008, 11:02 AM

Yep. What they should do is go hire one of the Royals PR or game day people. They do an excellent job with their entertainment before, during and after the game

Demonpenz
12-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Yep. What they should do is go hire one of the Royals PR or game day people. They do an excellent job with their entertainment before, during and after the game

gotta draw attention away from the field

BigRedChief
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Or just pay attention during the pre-game activities on the road.

ChiefsCountry
12-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Or dont hire former radio station people to run your marketing side. The top marketing/business people came from radio.

Also the band needed to go. It was cool in its day but its passed. A gameday suite in that located would be pretty bad ass and attrach top $$$ IMO.

Micjones
12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
It's definitely sad to see the TD Pack band go, but the gameday experience at Arrowhead is a bit dated.

Warrior5
12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
The mere fact that you do not associate CHIEFS, ARROWHEAD, ETC with AMERICAN INDIANS is silly. Wake up to the racism, you breed! You cannot make this world a better place by supporting racism. /Falstaff

Recipes anyone?

Dylan
12-09-2008, 12:54 PM

Couldn't agree more.

It was great in about 1995........

LMAO

EyePod
12-09-2008, 01:13 PM

I'm guessing you're joking, but in any case, they're Native Americans. Ignorance is just as bad as racism. ;)

whoman69
12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I agree the band was dated, it should have been updated a long time ago. That said, they should have some band.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Yeah. No disrespect intended, and I love that the guy and his daughter love the team and are willing to stand out there in the shit-cold and make music, but I heard that "Cheer for the Chiefs" thing on hard knocks, and I cringed just super hard.

New Day when Carl goes, New Dawn.

Dartgod
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm guessing you're joking, but in any case, they're Native Americans. Ignorance is just as bad as racism. ;)
Yeah, its a joke that pre-dates you. There was some idiot named Falstaff that come on this board once spouting off that we were all racists for supporting the Chiefs. I posted a direct quote from that thread (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=17910), now located in the Hall of Classics

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-09-2008, 01:50 PM

THIS

I'll add to that, the whole "Granny Law" concept needs to take a hike too.
There exists a sport for the very young, the very old, and those with serious heart problems, and it's called Baseball.

Football is an aggressive game, whose fan base are aggressive and competitive people. When I go the Gladiator Arena, I don't wanna' hear "Turn it down, sonny"!
That AIN'T what it's all about. And I would even go so far as to say, that with the new renovations and new seating assignments coming up, Arrowhead needs it's own 'Nut-House Zone', ala the Zoo and yes, The Black Hole.

DCS has spoken; make it happen.

Bob Dole
12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
We should just play nothing but Soulja Boy instead now after they're gone.

Hahaha. Geezer.

That's already been replaced by Stanky Legg.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
"Actually, I don't give a shit."

EyePod
12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, its a joke that pre-dates you. There was some idiot named Falstaff that come on this board once spouting off that we were all racists for supporting the Chiefs. I posted a direct quote from that thread (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=17910), now located in the Hall of Classics

The worst part is that he was completely right.

Where he said, "The path to Arrowhead Stadium is truly a Trail of Tears."

I know that I'm fucking in tears about these past two seasons, and I don't think I'm alone!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
The worst part is that he was completely right.

Where he said, "The path to Arrowhead Stadium is truly a Trail of Tears."

I know that I'm fucking in tears about these past two seasons, and I don't think I'm alone!!!

ROFL:LOL: