PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Can we sell the team to Jerry Jones?

MahiMike
12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
This week the famous Cowboys owner did something many thought was taboo – he called out a star player for being a sissy. Well I don't know about 'many' people, but I loved it. Not just because he was right, but because it shows he cares (I shudder to think that Clark Hunt probably couldn't even name his starting RB, let alone call him out).

So it got me to thinking what a passionate owner this guy is and what that means to his franchise.

There are a lot of pieces and parts that go into a team's chemistry; coaches, assistants, franchise players, star players, role players, etc. But in the end, it's all up to the management to put this corporation together. A quick glance around the league tells you everything you need to know about which teams actually care about their teams.

The NFL is the epitome of fairness. With the salary cap and reverse-team drafting, there's really no reason why a team should be a perennial loser. And yet, the trends are way too obvious. The teams that normally lose year after year are still losing. And the teams that normally win usually do. There are some exceptions to this rule because of the forced-parity built into the league. But, given enough time, the teams with good management win and the others are just fodder for the rest of the league.

Jerry Jones may be a meddler. He may have an ego as big as his offensive line. But what he does possess is a passion for the game. He truly wants to win. And it shows. It shows on the field, at the box office, in the media and with his huge base of fans.
And what does he get for his efforts? The best product in the American sports world. His franchise is worth over $1 Billion thanks to his passion. What’s the Chief’s franchise worth these days? His team has a 50/50 shot at making the playoffs and yet, there are dozens of stories in play every day about the Cowboys. The only time the Chiefs are mentioned, it’s usually followed by a snicker about how dreadful they are.

Back in the 90's when Marty's Chiefs were so dominant, the franchise had the 3rd most merchandise sold in America. The Cowboys were ranked #1 and they still are. All because of Jerry Jones’ efforts.

Don't get me wrong. I hate the team that had the audacity to call themselves "America's team" (I don't remember voting on that one). But if we could pick our owners like we do players and coaches, Jerry Jones would be my pick.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2008, 09:40 PM
And the Cowboys havent won anything since then either.

Frazod
12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I'd love to have an owner who gives a shit. Ewing Kaufman's been dead a long time.

Cormac
12-10-2008, 09:45 PM
But DV gets roundly criticised for telling a sulking LJ to take the diapers off.

I know DV was coach, not owner, but still. At least he was right, as opposed to Jerry Jones telling one of the league's warhorses he's a wimp.

JMO.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
The $$$$ can NOT be an owners only motivation; passion for the game and winning must be part of the picture as well.

And a close proximity to the house itself doesn't hurt either. We may not agree on some of Jones' methods or decisions, but we know he's at work in his house everyday and busting balls to make his team better.

luv
12-10-2008, 10:04 PM
You agree that Barber was a sissy?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-10-2008, 10:06 PM

I give approximately 2 fucks about the Dallas Cowboys.

MahiMike
12-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Yes I do. Dude makes $46Million to play 16 Sundays a year. Get your ass out there!

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Yes I do. Dude makes $46Million to play 16 Sundays a year. Get your ass out there!

Remind me to fax this to Tom Brady.

Jones is an idiot. He's the Steinbrenner of the NFL. He's far better at marketing than he is assembling a championship football team. That's a 6-10 team if they didn't luck into Romo.

jidar
12-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Jones is backtracking like a mofo over that comment.

The fact is, it was total bullshit. Barber has been a good teammate and a hell of a back, I'm certain that if he could have played he would have been there. Aside from that everyone including JJ knew he wouldn't make that game, the doctors had already said there was no way days ago. Having a fucked up toe probably really hinders a running back don't you think?

RJ
12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Jones called Barber a sissy? I hadn't heard that. I see a lot of Cowboys games and Barber has always seemed like a tough SOB to me.

Psyko Tek
12-10-2008, 10:45 PM
someday ...
not soon
but someday
jerry jones will beAl Davis

luv
12-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Jones called Barber a sissy? I hadn't heard that. I see a lot of Cowboys games and Barber has always seemed like a tough SOB to me.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=198045

luv
12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Jones is backtracking like a mofo over that comment.

The fact is, it was total bullshit. Barber has been a good teammate and a hell of a back, I'm certain that if he could have played he would have been there. Aside from that everyone including JJ knew he wouldn't make that game, the doctors had already said there was no way days ago. Having a fucked up toe probably really hinders a running back don't you think?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5281398&postcount=32