PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Michael Ash talks about how Tony G might affect the offseason

Hammock Parties
12-11-2008, 12:11 AM
+ other stuff

http://kan.scout.com/2/820307.html

It’s going to be an interesting offseason in Kansas City.

We already knew that, of course, with all the questions surrounding Herm Edwards, Carl Peterson, free agency, the draft, Larry Johnson’s future, and so forth.

But things went up another notch this week when Tony Gonzalez (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698854) drew a line in the sand. Speaking to ESPN after the Chiefs’ loss in Denver, Gonzalez made it crystal clear that he believes the team has found its quarterback in Tyler Thigpen.

You might recall Gonzalez making similar comments about Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698850) last year. But while Gonzalez was clearly supportive of Croyle, his support of Thigpen was far more direct. Gonzalez outright said it would be a “disgrace” if the Chiefs didn’t make Thigpen their starter in 2009.

Those aren’t words to be taken lightly. Gonzalez may not be putting up the best numbers of his career, but this year might be doing more to cement his legacy than any other season in recent memory. From a Chiefs’ perspective, after the sticky situation at the trade deadline, he’s been nothing but a professional. Without question, he’s been the lynchpin of the new spread offense.

From a national perspective, just when it appeared Gonzalez might be on the verge of being passed by the younger tight ends in the AFC, he’s spent 2008 distancing himself. Antonio Gates (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3628783) has been slowed by injury. Kellen Winslow (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3668106) hasn’t followed up on his strong 2007. Meanwhile, Gonzalez continues uninterrupted on his Hall of Fame path, showing absolutely no signs of a slowdown. He’ll not only make his 10th straight Pro Bowl this season, he’ll likely reclaim his role as the AFC’s starter.

While his “disgrace” comment has received widespread attention, Gonzalez’s comments in the Kansas City Star – “As far as I’m concerned I’ll be a Chief next season” – haven’t. When Gonzalez wasn’t moved at the trade deadline, the assumption in many circles was that he’d ask for another trade after the season and be moved sometime before the draft.Apparently, Gonzalez is starting to lean towards staying, which is why his comments about Thigpen have added another element of intrigue to the upcoming offseason.

What happens if the Chiefs ignore Gonzalez?

Let’s pretend for a moment – it shouldn’t be difficult – that the Chiefs aren’t too active in free agency. Keeping with that assumption, positions of extreme need like defensive end and linebacker will continue to be weaknesses heading into the draft. The team should be picking high enough in April to guarantee them a top prospect at one of those two positions. But suppose a scenario were to unfold where one of the draft’s top quarterbacks fell into their lap.

Quite obviously, the Chiefs should make decisions for the betterment of the team, not to placate any one particular player. But it’s entirely likely they won’t know what their chances are of taking a quarterback until they actually go on the clock. In other words, drafting a quarterback with their first pick will not be something they can plan for throughout the offseason.

If the Chiefs have the opportunity to draft someone they believe is a franchise quarterback, they would be foolish to pass. But that immediately raises the question: if they do draft a quarterback, what does that do to the team’s shaky relationship with their star tight end?

Will Gonzalez ask to be moved again, not interested in spending what could be his final NFL season with a rookie under center? The Chiefs would have ample time to make a trade, but they wouldn’t actually reap the rewards until the following year’s draft. Would the rest of the league offer up a fair price for a player who proved in 2008 he was still at the top of his game? Or would the Chiefs have to settle for the lowball offers they received in October?

And, more importantly, to what degree would Thigpen and the new quarterback suffer minus Gonzalez? Especially if the Chiefs keep the spread offense, in which Gonzalez is excelling?

These are the kinds of issues we’ll have to look forward to over the next several months. I can hardly wait, how about you?

While I think the Chiefs should take a quarterback if the opportunity arises, it’s not because I’m sour on Thigpen.

Recently, Thigpen has been judged rather harshly. Yes, it’s true that KC’s offensive production has taken a rather sharp nose dive since the Buffalo game. The Chiefs scored only 13 offensive points against the Raiders and, even more alarming, only 10 against a rather generous Broncos’ defense.

Let’s not forget, though, that those two games have been on the road in the two most hostile environments the Chiefs play in. Thigpen received his first taste as a starter in both locations. It’s understandable if he was a little rattled.More importantly, let’s keep in mind that Thigpen took over as the Chiefs’ quarterback mid-season with an entirely new offense. Even rookie quarterbacks who have only been in the NFL since April spent several months learning and practicing their team’s playbook.

Thigpen didn’t have that luxury. Sure, he ran a spread offense in college, but he’s spent two seasons trying to adjust to the NFL game. Do we even know how similar the Chiefs’ attack is to what he ran at Coastal Carolina?

The bottom line is that Thigpen – and the rest of the Chiefs’ offense, for that matter – had to hit the ground running with their new scheme. Thigpen didn’t spend OTAs and training camp running the same plays he’s currently running. Not only is it unfair to compare him to quarterbacks who received that preparation, you have to wonder how Thigpen might play once he actually has an offseason to prepare as the starter for an offense he’s not learning on the fly.

In terms of evaluating Thigpen and the Chiefs’ new offensive scheme, this week’s game with San Diego will be a key test. Not only will we see if Thigpen can bounce back in the friendly confines of Arrowhead, the game will mark the first time an opposing defense has received a second look at the spread. What happens on Sunday may go a long way towards answering some of the key questions of the offseason.

Eleven carries? Seriously, Chan?

A few weeks ago I recapped what I felt were the more questionable playcalling decisions Chan Gailey has made over the last few weeks. Against Denver on Sunday, I almost got the sense he was trying to work all of his greatest hits into the same game.

Plenty has been said about the strange choice of plays in the redzone and Gailey’s continued reliance on fade passes to Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698848). But, honestly, how in the world did Larry Johnson only get 11 carries against, of all teams in the league, the Denver Broncos?We all know about Johnson’s history against Denver. His career average against them is a great day for most running backs. After the 198 rushing yards Johnson put up back in September, I‘m told Pat Bowlen threw up his hands and had his lawyers draw up papers that would have officially transferred ownership of the Broncos to Johnson.

If you’d had told me prior to the game that Johnson would get just 11 touches – with only three after halftime – I’d have expected the Chiefs to be on the wrong end of a blowout. Instead, they actually led for most of the game, and never trailed by more than a touchdown when they finally fell behind.

Much like in the Buffalo game - where the run was abandoned before it became necessary - it’s not like Johnson was being held in check. If you take out the play where he was stopped for a loss while trying to reverse field, he was averaging 4.3 yards per carry on Sunday.

Tyler Thigpen deserves a break, since he hasn’t had much time to get used to this offense. To be fair, the exact same thing holds true for Gailey. But giving Larry Johnson the ball against Denver? That shouldn’t be a difficult decision.

Silock
12-11-2008, 12:13 AM
"in which Gonzalez is excelling."

Hammock Parties
12-11-2008, 12:16 AM

YEA VERILY YOU ARE THE GOD OF CONCISITY (I invented that word, Webster needs to recognize it).

bigbucks24
12-11-2008, 12:20 AM

A preposition is something you never want to end a sentence with.

Silock
12-11-2008, 12:21 AM
A preposition is something you never want to end a sentence with.

lawlz

Hammock Parties
12-11-2008, 12:21 AM
I changed it. Just for you.

Silock
12-11-2008, 12:28 AM
You should have changed it for YOU, not for me :) I'm just trying to help you out.

I dig the article, BTW.

T-post Tom
12-11-2008, 12:39 AM
"Gonzalez outright said it would be a 'disgrace' if the Chiefs didn’t make Thigpen their starter in 2009. Those aren’t words to be taken lightly."

Ummm...yes they are. This is a total non-issue & a flimsy premise for an article. Isn't it obvious that TG is pimping the only guy that can help push TG's career stats? He also praised Croyle & Huard when they were starting. TG will be praising whoever the starter is next year. It's just good business. (For the Chiefs and for TG.)

BigRock
12-11-2008, 12:45 AM
"Gonzalez outright said it would be a 'disgrace' if the Chiefs didn’t make Thigpen their starter in 2009. Those aren’t words to be taken lightly."

Ummm...yes they are. This is a total non-issue & a flimsy premise for an article. Isn't it obvious that TG is pimping the only guy that can help push TG's career stats? He also praised Croyle & Huard when they were starting. TG will be praising whoever the starter is next year. It's just good business. (For the Chiefs and for TG.)

In a normal circumstance, sure. But next year is probably Tony's last season, he said it again this week. He's not going to want to waste it here with a rookie QB.

The line about Bolen was funny.

el borracho
12-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Even if the Chiefs draft a QB in the 1st next April, Thigpen will enter 2009 as the starter. The only ways Thigpen is not the starter would be a notable FA QB pickup or injury. The part that might make Gonzalez unhappy would be the team passing on immediate help (such as the top DE in the draft) with an eye on the future (rookie who probably won't play much in 2009).

T-post Tom
12-11-2008, 12:50 AM
In a normal circumstance, sure. But next year is probably Tony's last season, he said it again this week. He's not going to want to waste it here with a rookie QB.

The line about Bolen was funny.

He's also said that he wants to retire as a Chief. Even this article references it. As long as he's putting up HOF numbers, he'll be content. He's smart enough to know that the odds of getting traded to one of next year's two SuperBowl contenders is slim. Damn slim.

BigRock
12-11-2008, 01:32 AM
He's also said that he wants to retire as a Chief. Even this article references it.

He spoke out in two interviews this week. In one he left open whether he wanted to be back next season. In the other he sounded like he wanted to stay, but the article referred to him as "undecided".

I don't know why this is even in question. If the Chiefs use next season to break in a new QB, Tony Gonzalez isn't going to want any part of it. The only way he'll decide to stay is if they stick with the offense the way it is now. He's clearly using the media to send that message.

And to el borracho's point, Thigpen only starts next year if they decide to stick with the spread offense. And I doubt they'll make a definite decision on that until they see which QBs, if any, are available to them on draft day. They can say they've made a decision, but they won't have to act on anything until the draft.

T-post Tom
12-11-2008, 02:06 AM
[QUOTE=BigRock;5285333]I don't know why this is even in question. If the Chiefs use next season to break in a new QB, Tony Gonzalez isn't going to want any part of it. QUOTE]

I completely disagree, and (in my best Herm Edward's voice) 'that's okay'. As this year proved, TG has no leverage (other than retiring). So it'll only happen if the FO wants it to happen. And CP always wants a high price for "his guys." However, considering the current uncertainty with this team, I guess anything is possible.

Fritz88
12-11-2008, 04:55 AM
I love TG too much, but I want to hear the same from DBowe, Bradley, and the rest of our wide outs..

KCUnited
12-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Drafting a qb with our 1st pick doesn't guarantee that Thigpen won't start next season, so Tony's comments are useless.

I agree with the part about Gailey. It seems Chan is trying too hard to present the 'you'll never see the same game plan from me twice' thing. It was obvious too me that Thigpen could've been helped greatly in the 2nd half of the Denver game with a run game.

MahiMike
12-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Tony reminds me of Fred Taylor here in Jax. They are of the rare breed that has been with the same team their entire careers. That's good and bad. They've been there long enough to be major contributors and long enough to see the futility of their organizations. At this point in their careers, they're still star players and yet expendable and inconsequential. They say they want to end their careers with the same team but in the end I could see both of them going somewhere else for one last shot. With that in mind, their opinions mean little. As well they should for the longterm plans of their teams.

Chiefnj2
12-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Someone should clue Tony into the fact that nobody really cares about his opinion. He doesn't really want to be on the team and won't be on the team for very much longer. The team isn't going to be all that competitive next year anyway.

Rausch
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Tony reminds me of Fred Taylor here in Jax. They are of the rare breed that has been with the same team their entire careers. That's good and bad. They've been there long enough to be major contributors and long enough to see the futility of their organizations. At this point in their careers, they're still star players and yet expendable and inconsequential. They say they want to end their careers with the same team but in the end I could see both of them going somewhere else for one last shot. With that in mind, their opinions mean little. As well they should for the longterm plans of their teams.

True.

Only Taylor is a walking chest wound who almost NEVER stays healthy and Gonzo is a HOF player who owns the record book at his position and is NEVER injured. Dude NEVER misses a game.

I wouldn't trade a 7th round pick for Taylor at his age and with his history of injuries...

Rausch
12-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Someone should clue Tony into the fact that [b]him being traded or not is entirely up to Herm.[b] He doesn't really want to be on the team and won't be on the team for very much longer. The team isn't going to be all that competitive next year anyway.

FYP...

Mr. Laz
12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
you think maybe LJ is only getting 11 carries because it's stupid to put more mileage on a highly paid running back in a year that is already over?

BigChiefFan
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Tony knows Great QBs...he's had so many to work with.

jjchieffan
12-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Someone should clue Tony into the fact that nobody really cares about his opinion. He doesn't really want to be on the team and won't be on the team for very much longer. The team isn't going to be all that competitive next year anyway.

Who says we aren't going to be competitive next season? Give Thigpen an offseason as starter, and pick up some linebackers and a pass rusher and this team could be next years Miami or Atlanta.

BigChiefFan
12-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Who says we aren't going to be competitive next season? Give Thigpen an offseason as starter, and pick up some linebackers and a pass rusher and this team could be next years Miami or Atlanta.
ROFL

Demonpenz
12-11-2008, 03:59 PM

this

chiefsngop
12-11-2008, 08:48 PM

The haters say it.

One day after Herm is gone, we actually will win a Super Bowl, and this board will be alive with "well, they gifted us the Super Bowl" posts.

chiefsngop
12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
you think maybe LJ is only getting 11 carries because it's stupid to put more mileage on a highly paid running back in a year that is already over?

That, and we're running a spread offense and only have 1/2 an offensive line.

Mr. Laz
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
imo i think Gonzo changes his tune and stays because of thigpen

Direckshun
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
"Lowball" offers for Tony G?

I'm sorry, but you don't trade 30+ year old TEs for a 2nd.

We asked for a 3rd, and we were offered a 3rd.

Mecca
12-11-2008, 09:22 PM
The haters say it.

One day after Herm is gone, we actually will win a Super Bowl, and this board will be alive with "well, they gifted us the Super Bowl" posts.

Haters..

More like people with grasp on reality.

Boris The Great
12-12-2008, 12:14 AM
We asked for a 3rd, and we were offered a 3rd.

The Packers offered a 3rd with the condition that if Tony didnt play out the rest of his contract, the Chiefs would have to give up draft picks. So it was never really much of an offer. A lot of Pack fans thought it was just a way for Ted Thompson to come off like he was trying to do something, when he knew all along the Chiefs would never agree to it.

TrickyNicky
12-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Is it better to be horrible and get a high draft pick, or cruise through a weakened AFC and get blown out in the Superbowl?

Reerun_KC
12-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Is it better to be horrible and get a high draft pick, or cruise through a weakened AFC and get blown out in the Superbowl?

Lucky for us, we have Herm, therefore we will never make a superbowl....

TrickyNicky
12-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Lucky for us, we have Herm, therefore we will never make a superbowl....

Yeah. But which would be better? You could possibly win a Superbowl later with the first pick.

Reerun_KC
12-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah. But which would be better? You could possibly win a Superbowl later with the first pick.

:shrug:

I have given up hope until we get a GM and HC....

I really dont want to lose a superbowl, but would be cool playing football in Feb... We havent had a coach in 20 years, sans DV, who knew what is was like to be in the big dance...

ChiefsCountry
12-12-2008, 06:56 AM
We havent had a coach in 20 years, sans DV, who knew what is was like to be in the big dance...

Frank Ganz 20 years ago sure knew what the hell the Super Bowl was.