PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV F***ing Samsung!!

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 12:48 AM
I bought my 42'' TV 3 months ago and in the middle of a movie tonight ((black)). The fucker quite working on me, I tried unplugging everything, replugging it... nothing's working. Ughhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cuss:

88TG88
12-11-2008, 12:49 AM
ROFLROFL

Buck
12-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Plasma or LCD?

Samsung is considered one of the best brands.

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 12:51 AM
LCD

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 12:52 AM
ROFLROFL

I wish I could sock you right in the jaw. You bastard!

pr_capone
12-11-2008, 12:52 AM
ROFLROFL

dick move

you would be equally pissed if you had made an investment like that and had it take a shit on you

88TG88
12-11-2008, 12:54 AM
I wish I could sock you right in the jaw. You bastard!

If it makes you feel better the same thing happened to a friend's TV. Waited a few hours and the POS started working again. It was the damndest thing.

KcMizzou
12-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Plasma or LCD?

Samsung is considered one of the best brands.Seriously...

Mine's been great.

Sorry to hear it. That sucks.

pr_capone
I bought my 42'' TV 3 months ago and in the middle of a movie tonight ((black)). The fucker quite working on me, I tried unplugging everything, replugging it... nothing's working. Ughhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cuss:

on the plus side... it should still be under warranty.

Where did you purchase it?

You might be able to get a straight exchange at the store instead of having to send it in for repairs.

KChiefsQT
If it makes you feel better the same thing happened to a friend's TV. Waited a few hours and the POS started working again. It was the damndest thing.

I still wish I could sock you in the jaw... and hopefully your car takes a shit on you while your on an LA freeway tomorrow you dick.

Phobia
12-11-2008, 12:56 AM
I just replaced the bulb on mine a few days back. Hopefully yours is warranted.

There should be some red lights above the blue power light on the right hand side. What do they do when you turn it on?

Reerun_KC
12-11-2008, 12:56 AM
I still wish I could sock you in the jaw... and hopefully your car takes a shit on you while your on an LA freeway tomorrow you dick.

You havent kicked the dog yet?

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 12:57 AM
on the plus side... it should still be under warranty.

Where did you purchase it?

You might be able to get a straight exchange at the store instead of having to send it in for repairs.

Circuit City, I already called. It's 90 Day in store warranty, I missed it by 6 days. It's still under warranty with Samsung, but I don't trust the brand anymore. They said they'd send someone out to look at it next week. I'm calling back tomorrow to raise hell.

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 12:59 AM
I just replaced the bulb on mine a few days back. Hopefully yours is warranted.

There should be some red lights above the blue power light on the right hand side. What do they do when you turn it on?

I don't have blue lights, but when I press the power button the red light flashes three times (like it always does) and then it usually makes this queer sound and the tv turns on. Queer sound and picture are missing now. :(

pr_capone
12-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Circuit City, I already called. It's 90 Day in store warranty, I missed it by 6 days. It's still under warranty with Samsung, but I don't trust the brand anymore. They said they'd send someone out to look at it next week. I'm calling back tomorrow to raise hell.

Don't call.... load that bitch up in the car and drive out there. Raise hell in person and in store and chances are that they will go ahead and make the exchange in store.

Shit... they are nearly out of business as is, they need to retain every customer they have.

Like its been said already in the thread... Samsung is a GREAT brand name, you just happened to get a lemon.

Reerun_KC
12-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't have blue lights, but when I press the power button the red light flashes three times (like it always does) and then it usually makes this queer sound and the tv turns on. Queer sound and picture are missing now. :(

Any troubleshooting or reset information on the web?

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 01:01 AM
You havent kicked the dog yet?

Hah!! No, I love animals... no matter how pissed I am I wouldn't kick a dog. I would like to throw the TV off my porch and watch it shatter to pieces but after the initial rush, I'd only end up -$1000, and that def. wouldn't be worth the excitement.

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Any troubleshooting or reset information on the web?

Only abouot 1,000 other complaints about the same problem. Some panel something or other that goes out, but most of those customers had the TV over a year, this baby was only 3 months used.

Taco John
12-11-2008, 01:02 AM
I have not had much luck with Samsung. I have a 22 inch LCD monitor that just died on me one day. I had purchased the two year protection plan and got it replaced. A month later, the replacement died the same way. I'm on my third one. If this one dies, Samsung is dead to me.

Actually, it might as well be. If I have to buy another LCD, it will be the HP w2207.

T-post Tom
12-11-2008, 01:13 AM

"Queer sound"? Something like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U9ORFOVDFjo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U9ORFOVDFjo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 01:16 AM
"Queer sound"? Something like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U9ORFOVDFjo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U9ORFOVDFjo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hah... not quite, it's something like this "doooo deee doooo"

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Samsung is a great brand, but the fact of the matter is that the failure rate for consumer electronics is about 3-5%.

Just be glad you don't have a 360.

T-post Tom
12-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Hah... not quite, it's something like this "doooo deee doooo"

It sounds like the flying monkeys from "Wizard of Oz"? That's creepy.

Miles
12-11-2008, 05:09 AM

Hopefully Samsung should take care of this. They tend to put out a pretty damn good product with their LCD sets and do not have a reputation of screwing over their customers. "Defective product" is a good term to toss around if you run into any trouble with them.

Johnny Vegas
12-11-2008, 05:54 AM
there should be an extended warranty for that specific problem. Like the 360, they extended the factory warranty to 3 years because of the 3 red light problem. I own 2 40" LCD Samsung's for about a year. Haven't had any trouble so far. I also bought the extended warranty from Best Buy. If its only a week I'd go in there and plead with them. Sign up for a Circuit City credit card in exchange you can buy the extended warranty. Sign up for some promotion so they'd be willing to give you a break.

Fritz88
12-11-2008, 06:45 AM
That really sucks. I wish your TV will get soon.

Skip Towne
12-11-2008, 06:46 AM
You're going about this all wrong. Calling and raising hell is for ugly old men like me. You should put on a little midriff top and short shorts and go down to the store to see the manager (Hope it's a man). Then, if he doesn't give you what you want, sock him in the jaw. BTW, I bought a 42" Sharp LCD in March to watch KU win the BB National Championsip. It's working fine.

Skip Towne
12-11-2008, 07:03 AM
How do you go about replacing the bulb in a LCD TV? Where is it located? Also, how do you clean the screen on it? Is it OK to use Windex and paper towels? My manual doesn't say a word about it.

Dartgod
12-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Also, how do you clean the screen on it? Is it OK to use Windex and paper towels? My manual doesn't say a word about it.
Brillo pad.

munkey
12-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Brillo pad.

Brillo...heh...I use 90 grit sand paper ;-)

Kerberos
12-11-2008, 08:01 AM
How do you go about replacing the bulb in a LCD TV? Where is it located? Also, how do you clean the screen on it? Is it OK to use Windex and paper towels? My manual doesn't say a word about it.

IMO the BEST thing to use for an LCD or ANY TV/Computer screen for that matter is MONSTER Screen Clean.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=52581

58-4ever
12-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Don't call.... load that bitch up in the car and drive out there. Raise hell in person and in store and chances are that they will go ahead and make the exchange in store.

Shit... they are nearly out of business as is, they need to retain every customer they have.

Like its been said already in the thread... Samsung is a GREAT brand name, you just happened to get a lemon.

It's people like you that make retailers' life hell. It's not their fault policies like 90 days are put into place. Oftentimes, your raising hell is just going to make you look like an idiot, and you'll have to tuck it between your legs and take your TV back to the house.

58-4ever
12-11-2008, 08:24 AM
You're going about this all wrong. Calling and raising hell is for ugly old men like me. You should put on a little midriff top and short shorts and go down to the store to see the manager (Hope it's a man). Then, if he doesn't give you what you want, sock him in the jaw. BTW, I bought a 42" Sharp LCD in March to watch KU win the BB National Championsip. It's working fine.

Listen to Skip. This is the approach that can work. At least the manager will be more likely to bend over backwards in the hope that you would do the same.

Valiant
12-11-2008, 08:26 AM
It's people like you that make retailers' life hell. It's not their fault policies like 90 days are put into place. Oftentimes, your raising hell is just going to make you look like an idiot, and you'll have to tuck it between your legs and take your TV back to the house.

Normally I agree, but Circuit City is trying to not pay me my PTO and severance so here is what you do.. Easiest way on screwing them over without bitching..

Go buy another tv, and return the broke one in its place..

58-4ever
12-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Normally I agree, but Circuit City is trying to not pay me my PTO and severance so here is what you do.. Easiest way on screwing them over without bitching..

This too.

Sam Hall
12-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I've had the 50" Samsung for a couple months, and the sound is always screwed up when we watch movies. It's great besides that.

58-4ever
12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
I've had the 50" Samsung for a couple months, and the sound is always screwed up when we watch movies. It's great besides that.

Good lord Sam, if you have that nice of a TV, get a quality sound system to go with it!

Sam Hall
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Good lord Sam, if you have that nice of a TV, get a quality sound system to go with it!

We're looking into it.

58-4ever
12-11-2008, 08:37 AM
We're looking into it.

As previously mentioned, Circuit City is going under. Find a closing store and look at Onkyo receivers. Bose is a bit overrated for the price.

Que Card QB
12-11-2008, 08:45 AM
This sucks. Sorry to hear. I've had a Samsung for 5 years now with no problems.

jeffery
12-11-2008, 08:47 AM
should've bought a Vizio dude. mine works great. i will never own another sony, samsung, ect.....as long as vizio is around and much cheaper for the same dang thang.

Sure-Oz
12-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I own a samsung touch of color series, it owns and they are one of the best you can buy. you probably just got a lemon, period. What is the exact model # on it? for ex mine is a samsung a650 series

I think i would raise hell but that said, always get an extended warranty on an LCD/Plasma tv. I have 4 years on mine. Of course you got it from CC so that explains no extended warranty.

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 10:16 AM

Go with this option if you have the cash. If not....I would go down to the Circuit City ASAP and find the youngest guy working the Customer Service counter. Explain to him what happened and that you're only 6-7 days over your warranty....see if he can help you out.

Wait...aren't you in Nor-Cal? Go to the CC in FF....and bitch there. The managers are pushovers.

Sure-Oz
12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
They'll probably tell her to fuck off, they are going to lose their jobs anyway hehe

Sure-Oz
12-11-2008, 10:20 AM

ROFL

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 10:21 AM
They'll probably tell her to fuck off, they are going to lose their jobs anyway hehe

Either that or they won't care if they're fucking over the company by exchanging her TV.

Sure-Oz
12-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm curious to hear if she gets the tv exchanged, i mean it is after the warranty right?

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm curious to hear if she gets the tv exchanged, i mean it is after the warranty right?

Samsung is sending a company out on Monday to "fix" the TV. I got my warranty extended for an additional 12 months after the TV is in fact repaired. I'll just have to be patient... it still sucks though.

Pneuma
12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
On a side note...I just returned a Samsung LCD...Worst out of the box sound ever and the picture was not as crisp as other displays (IE Sony, Sharp). I was very disappointed with the Samsung, it did have the best black levels and color, but that is it...

luv
12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Samsung is sending a company out on Monday to "fix" the TV. I got my warranty extended for an additional 12 months after the TV is in fact repaired. I'll just have to be patient... it still sucks though.

How much is the warranty versus the cost of the repair?

Hammock Parties
12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
On a side note...I just returned a Samsung LCD...Worst out of the box sound ever and the picture was not as crisp as other displays (IE Sony, Sharp). I was very disappointed with the Samsung, it did have the best black levels and color, but that is it...

What are you doing listening to movies over your LCD speakers?

Molitoth
12-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Samsung is one of the best brands. Thats too bad what happened to you. =(

OnTheWarpath15
12-11-2008, 12:06 PM
What are you doing listening to movies over your LCD speakers?

That's what I was going to ask.

Hell, my speaker bar that came with my Pioneer plasma is still in the box...

Pitt Gorilla
12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Circuit City, I already called. It's 90 Day in store warranty, I missed it by 6 days. It's still under warranty with Samsung, but I don't trust the brand anymore. They said they'd send someone out to look at it next week. I'm calling back tomorrow to raise hell.Why raise hell? They are sending someone to fix it. Good Lord.

Coach
12-11-2008, 12:16 PM

Well, you can call Samsung or the company that you bought the TV from, and get a refund or a different TV. Not your fault that it quit working on you, unless you caused any significant damage on it.

Coach
12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Why raise hell? They are sending someone to fix it. Good Lord.

Yeah, I would have them over and fix it, provided that it's under their warranty and such.

Hell, I own a 42" LCD Samsung and had it for almost 2 years, and I love it. No problems at all. Of course, for every 10 TV's, there is a good chance that one of those 10 can be just faulty or something. No different than say, a battery?

Coach
12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Samsung is a great brand, but the fact of the matter is that the failure rate for consumer electronics is about 3-5%.

Just be glad you don't have a 360.

Fo sure.

Sure-Oz
12-11-2008, 12:19 PM

Shit happens, hell my xbox is working fine while a few of my friends have had theirs shit on them. Yet my Wii is fucked with heatsink issues and all my friends wii's are good. Ok that sounds bad but yeah...

I'm sure it will be fine and yeah it was smart to get the 1 year added on. I have loved my Samsung and a few of my friend own plasmas and lcds and never had an issue the last few years. I bet it will be alright after this. I got a 4 year on mine and cost $250, love nebraska furniture mart.

Sure-Oz
12-11-2008, 12:21 PM

I have a Sharp Aquos and my Samsung blows it away, and i love my aquos. Of course ive got one of the higher end samsung lcds in the touch of color series. I was comparing it to a larger aquos, sony etc that was by it and it blew those away easily.

Sorry you had shitty luck

kepp
12-11-2008, 12:33 PM
...then it usually makes this queer sound and the tv turns on. Queer sound and picture are missing now. :(

Wait...isn't this a day without gay? It should be back tomorrow.

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Why raise hell? They are sending someone to fix it. Good Lord.

Hmmm... next week? I called and raised hell and it paid off.... they'll be out here tomorrow!!!

KcMizzou
12-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I have a Sharp Aquos and my Samsung blows it away, and i love my aquos. Of course ive got one of the higher end samsung lcds in the touch of color series. I was comparing it to a larger aquos, sony etc that was by it and it blew those away easily.

Sorry you had shitty luckLikewise. I couldn't be happier with my Samsung. QT just got a lemon. Sucks, but it happens.

Johnny Vegas
12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
they sold her a lemon because she's a girl!!!

no j/k

tell 'em the sales guy who helped you never told you about the extended warranty on the TV. Of course you would've paid for the extension if you knew about it, right?

bowener
12-11-2008, 06:38 PM

Call Circuit City and raise hell. Bitch to them about it being 90 days or 90 WORKING days. Just keep being a dick until they agree to let you exchange it. Its not like they are going to have a job this time next year anyway, so its not going to hurt their performance review.

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
they sold her a lemon because she's a girl!!!

no j/k

tell 'em the sales guy who helped you never told you about the extended warranty on the TV. Of course you would've paid for the extension if you knew about it, right?

Yea, definitely knew about the extended warranty... and didn't opt to buy it. Hopefully Samsung will let me buy it now, they're being pretty good about the situation.

luv
12-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Yea, definitely knew about the extended warranty... and didn't opt to buy it. Hopefully Samsung will let me buy it now, they're being pretty good about the situation.

Didn't it come with a one year factory warranty?

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Didn't it come with a one year factory warranty?
Yea, that is why they're sending someone out to fix it tomorrow at no cost to me...however, I don't trust it not to black out again in a year, so NOW I'd like to purchase the extended waranty... which is what I should've done from the beginning.

luv
12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Yea, that is why they're sending someone out to fix it tomorrow at no cost to me...however, I don't trust it not to black out again in a year, so NOW I'd like to purchase the extended waranty... which is what I should've done from the beginning.

Ah. That where we differ. I figure, if it goes out more times than I would like within the first year I have it, then it's a tv I don't want. I figure I can put the cost of the extended warranty into a new/better tv. Of course, I'm cheap, too. :)

Skip Towne
12-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Watch what they do to fix it. It may just be a bulb you can change yourself the next time. Save the old part so you'll know what you need in the future.

Johnny Vegas
12-11-2008, 08:01 PM

no you had no clue.;) use that excuse only if Circuit City won't sell you the extended warranty. I wonder if Samsung offers an extended warranty?

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Ah. That where we differ. I figure, if it goes out more times than I would like within the first year I have it, then it's a tv I don't want. I figure I can put the cost of the extended warranty into a new/better tv. Of course, I'm cheap, too. :)

Well I'm not cheap, I'm a pretty damn good spender actually... it was just stupidity not to buy the extended warranty... that's all As for "a TV I don't want"... yeah, I don't particularly want this TV right now either but I can't return/exchange it at this point and I don't feel like shitting away the $950 I paid for this one and go buy a new one. I'm stuck with it, there's not much I can do but hope that they fix it and it doesn't fuck up anymore.

KChiefsQT
12-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Watch what they do to fix it. It may just be a bulb you can change yourself the next time. Save the old part so you'll know what you need in the future.

You're so smart skip-a-rooo I would've never thought of that. Hehehe.

I'm taking off early tomorrow to make sure I know what's going on when the repair man is doing his damn thing. :)

luv
12-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Well I'm not cheap, I'm a pretty damn good spender actually... it was just stupidity not to buy the extended warranty... that's all As for "a TV I don't want"... yeah, I don't particularly want this TV right now either but I can't return/exchange it at this point and I don't feel like shitting away the $950 I paid for this one and go buy a new one. I'm stuck with it, there's not much I can do but hope that they fix it and it doesn't **** up anymore.

I didn't mean to imply that you were or should be. $950 for one that size is a good deal. I think I spent $750 or $800 for my 37".